+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter Canada using your COPR?

supreets2

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
Does anyone have recent experience in re-entering Canada by car/road using COPR document?

I plan to do a one-week short landing, apply for PR card and then come back to US. But if there is a need to travel to Canada before I get my PR card, can I travel back by road using COPR?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you hold a US passport, you can travel on that (the US is the only country that can use this method). They can determine your status at immigration.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Does anyone have recent experience in re-entering Canada by car/road using COPR document?

I plan to do a one-week short landing, apply for PR card and then come back to US. But if there is a need to travel to Canada before I get my PR card, can I travel back by road using COPR?
You should be able to travel with your COPR if you are driving there in a private vehicle (no public transports like Bus or rail or flight or water). For e.g. Rental Truck or Rental Car, or your own car.
I did the same thing - did landing a year ago, and then moved to Canada for good this year in August. I did not have my PR cards, but since I drove in a rental truck across the land border, it only required COPR and passport.

check out my post on this link for details on my experience:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/crossing-the-border-in-rental-car-or-truck.511124/#post-6329331

supreets2

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
You should be able to travel with your COPR if you are driving there in a private vehicle (no public transports like Bus or rail or flight or water). For e.g. Rental Truck or Rental Car, or your own car.
I did the same thing - did landing a year ago, and then moved to Canada for good this year in August. I did not have my PR cards, but since I drove in a rental truck across the land border, it only required COPR and passport.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/crossing-the-border-in-rental-car-or-truck.511124/#post-6329331
Thanks yodheydhara, this helps.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Thanks yodheydhara, this helps.
Only word of caution I would like to add is this - the officer may ask you why you dont have the PR cards with you. You can mention that since you had to come back and you cannot provide an international address, you had to provide your friend or relative's address. Just be mindful of what you answer.

TEJSUN

Oct 3, 2017
Hi All,
Although there are similar posts on the topic but i wanted to share my experience on my First Landing by Windsor Tunnel.
Purely from cost saving perspective, i had planned the first landing trip via Detroit to Windsor by road.
1. I (Along with my dependents) rented a car from Detroit Airport and drove early morning at around 9am towards the tunnel. There was not even a single vehicle crossing to CN at that time (My good Luck).
2. I drove directly to the duty officer. Initially i did not realize that she is a CBSA official. I was under the impression that the first check post would be for US officials. Anyways, she asked me few questions like my visa status in US and from where i am coming. Then she asked the purpose of my trip. I told her that i have come for first landing and intend to drive back same evening. She tried to explain me that the PR clock will start the day i enter first & I still have a choice to go back (Dont know why she told me that) Anyways, she filled in a yellow colored form, wrote few details like what i intend to bring later on etc., handed that form to me. Then she ushered me to the Immigration and Customs building.
3. I parked my car and went in. I walked to the lady officer who again asked similar questions. When i told her the purpose of my trip, she asked me for the inventory list i had brought or intend to bring. I had an excel spreadsheet for the list of items with approx. CN value. Out of the list, I had listed my CAR but i had not brought the CAR TITLE. She offered me to return back and come at a later date with all the details. I was not able to get the details online as my cell data gave up. I told her that i need to land today itself and i will not bring my car if i am not able to list it today. I asked her if they can provide me WIFI access, which she politely declined. But somehow i managed to pull out the VIN & License plate number from my CAR insurance policy. She accepted those details and listed my car in B4 form as well (I was lucky as she had all the right to refuse it). I gave the CN address details and told her that this in my friend's address, to which she was fine. Then she asked me some std. questions like any other dependents apart from the ones listed etc. She also asked few questions to my spouse.She took about 20 minutes to fill out few forms, handed me B4 form and asked me to bring this form when i come back with the articles.
She also told me that if i bring any brand new expensive item, it may attract a duty and also the items have to be more than 6 months old. My Advice - Plan to carry receipts for high value items if you have recently purchased them. And then she wished me luck and handed us our passports.
4. I then went to Service Canada office where i applied for my & my dependents SIN number.
5. After that i went to a bank to open a bank account but was denied as i did not have proof of residence.
6. I also went to Service Ontario office to check if i can apply for health card or photo id. I was denied again due to lack of address proof in my name.

I returned back the same evening around 4 PM and now awaiting my PR cards.
Hope this helps others.

TEJSUN

Oct 3, 2017
All,
An important issue i am currently facing so I thought i would share it with all. As stated, i had landed with my 3 yr old and my spouse. The officer who was completing the formalities told us that the processing has been done for three of us and we can proceed to enter Canada. We went to Service Canada office to apply for SIN and there the officer told me that for me and my spouse system has accepted our names so they generated SIN for us. But for my Son, she said it is not updated so she will send us the hard copy of SIN on the local address. We never got any clue from this. When the SIN did not reach the address, i tried to inquire. After a month's effort, and as a shock to me, i got to know that their systems show that my SON never did the first landing. For me and my spouse, PR cards are WIP but for him, nothing i being processed. So now i have submitted the proofs for his landing like copy of COPR, entry stamp etc. I hope it will get resolved but all it does is delays my plans to enter canada for good.
Important Piece of Advise: At the CBA office, please check it twice if all the three have made the landing.
Hope this helps.

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi All,
Although there are similar posts on the topic but i wanted to share my experience on my First Landing by Windsor Tunnel.
Purely from cost saving perspective, i had planned the first landing trip via Detroit to Windsor by road.
1. I (Along with my dependents) rented a car from Detroit Airport and drove early morning at around 9am towards the tunnel. There was not even a single vehicle crossing to CN at that time (My good Luck).
2. I drove directly to the duty officer. Initially i did not realize that she is a CBSA official. I was under the impression that the first check post would be for US officials. Anyways, she asked me few questions like my visa status in US and from where i am coming. Then she asked the purpose of my trip. I told her that i have come for first landing and intend to drive back same evening. She tried to explain me that the PR clock will start the day i enter first & I still have a choice to go back (Dont know why she told me that) Anyways, she filled in a yellow colored form, wrote few details like what i intend to bring later on etc., handed that form to me. Then she ushered me to the Immigration and Customs building.
3. I parked my car and went in. I walked to the lady officer who again asked similar questions. When i told her the purpose of my trip, she asked me for the inventory list i had brought or intend to bring. I had an excel spreadsheet for the list of items with approx. CN value. Out of the list, I had listed my CAR but i had not brought the CAR TITLE. She offered me to return back and come at a later date with all the details. I was not able to get the details online as my cell data gave up. I told her that i need to land today itself and i will not bring my car if i am not able to list it today. I asked her if they can provide me WIFI access, which she politely declined. But somehow i managed to pull out the VIN & License plate number from my CAR insurance policy. She accepted those details and listed my car in B4 form as well (I was lucky as she had all the right to refuse it). I gave the CN address details and told her that this in my friend's address, to which she was fine. Then she asked me some std. questions like any other dependents apart from the ones listed etc. She also asked few questions to my spouse.She took about 20 minutes to fill out few forms, handed me B4 form and asked me to bring this form when i come back with the articles.
She also told me that if i bring any brand new expensive item, it may attract a duty and also the items have to be more than 6 months old. My Advice - Plan to carry receipts for high value items if you have recently purchased them. And then she wished me luck and handed us our passports.
4. I then went to Service Canada office where i applied for my & my dependents SIN number.
5. After that i went to a bank to open a bank account but was denied as i did not have proof of residence.
6. I also went to Service Ontario office to check if i can apply for health card or photo id. I was denied again due to lack of address proof in my name.

I returned back the same evening around 4 PM and now awaiting my PR cards.
Hope this helps others.
@TEJSUN thanks for sharing your experience. Which bank refused to open account without address proof? I was thinking of opening Scotiabank account online and activating once I land, without address proof.

TEJSUN

Oct 3, 2017
@TEJSUN thanks for sharing your experience. Which bank refused to open account without address proof? I was thinking of opening Scotiabank account online and activating once I land, without address proof.
It was Scotiabank. Before leaving for Canada, i had a chat session with bank rep on their website and he explicitly told me that i wont need any address proof. But when i went to the bank branch in Windsor, they asked for the address proof. I never tried to open the account online.

Reactions: dora115

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
It was Scotiabank. Before leaving for Canada, i had a chat session with bank rep on their website and he explicitly told me that i wont need any address proof. But when i went to the bank branch in Windsor, they asked for the address proof. I never tried to open the account online.
Thanks.

tarpank

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Waiting
Doc's Request.
Waiting
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting

Hi.
When you crossed border for permanent settlement, did your COPR was under the prescribed date mentioned for first time landing or was that date had passed.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hi.
When you crossed border for permanent settlement, did your COPR was under the prescribed date mentioned for first time landing or was that date had passed.
I cross every other weekend with my COPR which had a landing date November 2017. No issues as long as it was stamped, it' just a record of landing.

Unclesam2610

Feb 9, 2018
I will be doing the first landing, then I can re-enter Canada with my COPR without any problems? And if I have given my friends address for the PR, it will be delivered to his address and I can collect from him? Is it completely legal?

alexross

Jan 11, 2018

Hi, thank you for your post. I just have one question I am very much hoping you will answer: Was your CoPR expired when you travelled by land back in to canada?

I may have to return to Canada from US after the Validity date mentioned on the CoPR. Would this be a problem?