+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Bleuxu008

Sep 11, 2018
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on June 6, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 17, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on September 17, 2018.
  4. We sent you correspondence on September 21, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  5. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on October 26, 2018.
The journey is now completed, despite that we were asked to submit additional information in late Sep! Thanks for the help from everyone

Reactions: dpenabill

Rehman48

Sep 12, 2018
That’s unbelievable, you had 1200 plus days.....and the minimum requirements are 730+ days for residency obligations. You had more then enough still went for secondary review?? Or you didn’t submit so many proofs which caused them to think that you are doing misrepresentation or you don’t meet RO?? But that’s horrible even after having 1200+ days they put you on secondary review........

Wow!! They used to take about 6-8 months before wheneve they requested candidates for additional documents. Why are they so quick now??

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Wow!! They used to take about 6-8 months before wheneve they requested candidates for additional documents. Why are they so quick now??
@Bleuxu008 has previously clarified the situation specifically in response to you; for example:

I didn't go through the secondary review. They just requested the complete copy of passport, I94 and entry/exit record and proof of stay in Canada. I was surprised that it only took one more month than needed
That was in response to . . .

Because whenever they request documents that means that PR is going to go for secondary renewal but you got decision in one month...
That premise is erroneous. It has NEVER been true that "whenever they request documents that means that PR is going to go for secondary renewal . . ." Indeed, most forum reports of Secondary Review indicate NO REQUESTS for any additional information or documentation (but rather long delays).

Until the last year or so, however, most requests for documents related to proof of physical presence in Canada were in cases where the local office was examining/investigating RO compliance, which is DIFFERENT from Secondary Review but which typically has involved at least a couple to several month delay.

In the meantime, in the last year or so, in addition to @Bleuxu008 others have been reporting similar requests coming from Sydney . . . that is, others have also reported experiences suggesting that apart from "complex" case Secondary Review, and local office Residency Determination examinations, and other non-routine processing, the Sydney office is doing some sort of quality assurance or program integrity check for some PRs. There are multiple reports indicating this does NOT delay the process by much at all AS LONG AS the PR timely submits the requested documents or information.

This process should not be confused or conflated with complex case Secondary Review or local office RO compliance determinations. (Indeed, the latter two should NOT be confused or conflated with one another, either. I have discussed these matters in some depth in other topics.)

There is a reason why many seasoned participants in this forum emphasize how much individual circumstances can mean widely varying experiences. What happens in one individual's case can be very different from what happens in other individuals' cases.

jasmine07

Dec 24, 2018
my timeline:

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 18, 2018.

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 5, 2018.

3. We started processing your application on September 5, 2018.

i received an email that my application was referred to local office. until now no update whatsoever.

gupta4321

Jan 24, 2019
Hi All,

I got a letter from CIC as follows.

I have provided them with CBP records and CBSA records . Is there anything else that I should have provided ?
Has anybody gotten a similar letter and how long did it take ?
Does this means that it is gone for a "Secondary Review" ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To examine whether you are in compliance with the requirements to be issued a new Permanent Resident Card pursuant to paragraph 59(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, we request that you provide additional information for the period of 03MAY2014 TO 14OCT2018.

Please submit the following documents:

• Photocopies of ALL pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last five (5) years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible;
AND

• Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by your country of citizenship and the countries where you have travelled or resided, including;

Statement of Travel Records issued by USA authorities. The following website provides limited access to arrival and departure date records of non-immigrant aliens entering and departing the United States which are maintained in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP's) Non-immigrant Information System (NIIS). https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/

AND

· Any other document(s) supporting your physical presence in Canada

· All documents must be accompanied by an official translation if they are in a language other than English or French. You should provide a certified copy of the English or French translation and a certified copy of the translator’s declaration. A translator’s declaration must include:

· the translator’s name

· the original language of the translated document, and

· a statement signed by a translator that the translation is accurate.

Please send the documents within 30 days of the date of this letter to the following address:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

warmth

Nov 30, 2018
Hey, this is not the secondary review letter. no need to panic. i received the same email in early December, 2018. preped and sent out the documents in about 2 weeks. received the card in early January.

I would also provide airline e-tickets, past utility bills, NOAs, credit card statements, and medical records if there is any.

Hi All,

I got a letter from CIC as follows.

I have provided them with CBP records and CBSA records . Is there anything else that I should have provided ?
Has anybody gotten a similar letter and how long did it take ?
Does this means that it is gone for a "Secondary Review" ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To examine whether you are in compliance with the requirements to be issued a new Permanent Resident Card pursuant to paragraph 59(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, we request that you provide additional information for the period of 03MAY2014 TO 14OCT2018.

Please submit the following documents:

• Photocopies of ALL pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last five (5) years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible;
AND

• Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by your country of citizenship and the countries where you have travelled or resided, including;

Statement of Travel Records issued by USA authorities. The following website provides limited access to arrival and departure date records of non-immigrant aliens entering and departing the United States which are maintained in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP's) Non-immigrant Information System (NIIS). https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/

AND

· Any other document(s) supporting your physical presence in Canada

· All documents must be accompanied by an official translation if they are in a language other than English or French. You should provide a certified copy of the English or French translation and a certified copy of the translator’s declaration. A translator’s declaration must include:

· the translator’s name

· the original language of the translated document, and

· a statement signed by a translator that the translation is accurate.

Please send the documents within 30 days of the date of this letter to the following address:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Trentjudith

somayeh

Feb 20, 2010
Dear all,

I am new to this forum. So apologies in advance if my question has been discussed earlier. A friend's parents received the following letter in response to their application for renewing their PR cards. They are in a bad situation as their old passport was stolen while travelling in Europe (they have a letter from the police there certifying this) and since they've been living with their daughter, they don't have a lot of proof for living here. (They do have bank accounts, but for the most part have not been using them regularly as they are financially supported by their daughter. They never even filed for taxes for the same reason as they had no income. To save dollars, they even used the home phone (in their daughters' name) as opposed to a cell phone.).

Do you think they still have a chance given that they don't have an old passport to prove their travel history? Also, does the letter below mean they are still deciding whether or not to renew their cards, or does it mean that their card is already issued and they just want to double check everything before handing the card to them? I'm inclined to think that in the latter case, they might still have a chance if they go in person and explain everything. In their application, they had let CIC check with the borders their entry and exit dates, but unfortunately looks like CIC is not still convinced (due to the letter below).

In general, what is your advice? Should they even try and go there in person? Or would it make the case more complicated and may mean they get deported now that they can't prove their residency days? Should they withdraw their application and try again later when they re-accumulate the residency days? Or should they not withdraw now and try going to the office and then withdraw if the officer is not convinced? In the latter case, any chance they would risk being deported? Please advise.

Dear ...

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, all permanent residents of Canada are subject to a residency assessment at the time of distribution of their new Permanent Resident Card. An immigration official will review your documents and may request additional information to determine your eligibility for a PR card.

Every individual who receives this notice must be seen in person and present the following:
This letter;
All passports and travel documents (current and expired);
Passport stamps and visas not in English/French must be accompanied by a certified translation in one of the official languages;
Total of all absences from Canada (for the 5 years prior to date you applied);
Valid photo ID issued by the province or a federal agency (e.g. driver's license, health card);
Expired PR card;
Proof of residence in Canada for the five years prior to the date you applied (e.g. Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency, T-4 statement, employer's letter, school records, bank or bill statements);
Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a birth certificate and/or legal guardianship papers
Spouses of Canadian Citizens should bring marriage certificate (with translation) and copy of spouse's Canadian passport
An interpreter if required

Please come to our office on this date during the following hours(Except Holidays):
Date:
Time:

Please note that if you are unable to appear on the date scheduled, you must come to our office within 180 days from your scheduled date. Should you choose not to come on your appointment date, there is a possibility that you will not be seen if there is a high volume of clients on the day you come to the office.

By law, any unclaimed permanent resident card must be destroyed 180 days after the date of this letter. There are no exceptions. If your card is destroyed by this method, you must make a new application and pay another fee.

If you require additional information, please call the IRCC National Call Centre: 1-888-242-2100 or email them at question@cic.gc.ca.

Yours sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

I am new to this forum. So apologies in advance if my question has been discussed earlier. A friend's parents received the following letter in response to their application for renewing their PR cards. They are in a bad situation as their old passport was stolen while travelling in Europe (they have a letter from the police there certifying this) and since they've been living with their daughter, they don't have a lot of proof for living here. (They do have bank accounts, but for the most part have not been using them regularly as they are financially supported by their daughter. They never even filed for taxes for the same reason as they had no income. To save dollars, they even used the home phone (in their daughters' name) as opposed to a cell phone.).

Do you think they still have a chance given that they don't have an old passport to prove their travel history? Also, does the letter below mean they are still deciding whether or not to renew their cards, or does it mean that their card is already issued and they just want to double check everything before handing the card to them? I'm inclined to think that in the latter case, they might still have a chance if they go in person and explain everything. In their application, they had let CIC check with the borders their entry and exit dates, but unfortunately looks like CIC is not still convinced (due to the letter below).

In general, what is your advice? Should they even try and go there in person? Or would it make the case more complicated and may mean they get deported now that they can't prove their residency days? Should they withdraw their application and try again later when they re-accumulate the residency days? Or should they not withdraw now and try going to the office and then withdraw if the officer is not convinced? In the latter case, any chance they would risk being deported? Please advise.

Dear ...

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, all permanent residents of Canada are subject to a residency assessment at the time of distribution of their new Permanent Resident Card. An immigration official will review your documents and may request additional information to determine your eligibility for a PR card.

Every individual who receives this notice must be seen in person and present the following:
This letter;
Passport stamps and visas not in English/French must be accompanied by a certified translation in one of the official languages;
Valid photo ID issued by the province or a federal agency (e.g. driver's license, health card);
Expired PR card;
Proof of residence in Canada for the five years prior to the date you applied (e.g. Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency, T-4 statement, employer's letter, school records, bank or bill statements);
Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a birth certificate and/or legal guardianship papers
Spouses of Canadian Citizens should bring marriage certificate (with translation) and copy of spouse's Canadian passport

Please come to our office on this date during the following hours(Except Holidays):
Date:
Time:

Please note that if you are unable to appear on the date scheduled, you must come to our office within 180 days from your scheduled date. Should you choose not to come on your appointment date, there is a possibility that you will not be seen if there is a high volume of clients on the day you come to the office.

By law, any unclaimed permanent resident card must be destroyed 180 days after the date of this letter. There are no exceptions. If your card is destroyed by this method, you must make a new application and pay another fee.

If you require additional information, please call the IRCC National Call Centre: 1-888-242-2100 or email them at question@cic.gc.ca.

Yours sincerely,
Did they report their stolen passport to the Canadian Embassy right after contacting the police? Did they get an emergency travel document to return to Canada from Europe? Do they go to the doctor? Fill prescriptions at the pharmacy?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

Dear ...

This letter;
Expired PR card;

Date:
Time:

Yours sincerely,
How did they return to Canada without passports? They must have other information like doctors visits, prescriptions, etc.

man8434

Oct 6, 2016
Hi there

I and my wife changed our legal name in BC . I got my Pr card renewed in time. No issues. However my wife’s pr card still shows in processing. Already crossed the 23 days. She called cic and being today , it has been sent for further review.
Anyone knows about this what is this mean or on the same boat.

Application received 16th may
Processing started. 28th may
Current processing time on website is 21 days

babakgh

Jun 15, 2016
Hi

I have 50 days left until PR card expire. and, I am currently out of Canada.

1. Is it ok that i travel for few days to Canada; post forms from inside the country, and then exit Canada? What might go wrong?

2. What happens if i post my forms while I am out of Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I have 50 days left until PR card expire. and, I am currently out of Canada.

1. Is it ok that i travel for few days to Canada; post forms from inside the country, and then exit Canada? What might go wrong?

2. What happens if i post my forms while I am out of Canada?
Do you meet the RO? Will you continue to meet your ROwhen you need to return to Canada to pick you up your PR card. You would need to qualify for PRTD.