+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

harrycancal

Mar 22, 2016
I stayed out of Canada for approx 2.5 years due to my aged mother's critical illness. I along with my wife and son have submitted all the medical records showing entry and discharge documents as well as doctors letters about the nature of illness to CIC. I have also mentioned that as an only son there was none to look after my mother, but still CIC send my application for secondary review. Now my mom is no more and I could not even go for her funeral , now I need to go for urgent religious rituals but CIC is not giving me any date. What shall I do??

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
harrycancal said:
I stayed out of Canada for approx 2.5 years due to my aged mother's critical illness. I along with my wife and son have submitted all the medical records showing entry and discharge documents as well as doctors letters about the nature of illness to CIC. I have also mentioned that as an only son there was none to look after my mother, but still CIC send my application for secondary review. Now my mom is no more and I could not even go for her funeral , now I need to go for urgent religious rituals but CIC is not giving me any date. What shall I do??
Very sad situation. if you have 730 days from last 5 years PRTD is the best option it will take only 2 weeks but you have to provide enough proof of residency or if you have US visa you can cross the border with expired PR or original landing documents in your own or rented vehicle.

harrycancal

Mar 22, 2016
Thanks deepak . I do not have USA visa can I request CIC to process my card fast?? My mom's death has already shattered me and now I am not even able to attend some rituals performed by son. What kind of procedure is this. Woild they consider my case on humanitarian ground. What proof they want when dates of exit and entry in Canada are clearly mentioned in my passport and I travelled only to India. Will they ask me to prove my stay in Canada when it is easy to calculate days from passport exit - entry dates? Even hospital documents clearly mentioned !y mom's addmission and discharge from hospital is clearly mentioned which I have already sub!fitted to CIC to prove my reason of stay in India.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
harrycancal said:
Thanks deepak . I do not have USA visa can I request CIC to process my card fast?? My mom's death has already shattered me and now I am not even able to attend some rituals performed by son. What kind of procedure is this. Woild they consider my case on humanitarian ground. What proof they want when dates of exit and entry in Canada are clearly mentioned in my passport and I travelled only to India. Will they ask me to prove my stay in Canada when it is easy to calculate days from passport exit - entry dates? Even hospital documents clearly mentioned !y mom's addmission and discharge from hospital is clearly mentioned which I have already sub!fitted to CIC to prove my reason of stay in India.
For urgent request you can send them return ticket and payment proof travel date should be approx 6 weeks after urgent applying if they approve it will take 3 weeks.

CIC employees are emotionless they will not considered any case as human and if you are short in days you can apply on humanitarian ground but that route has more delays.

teko

Mar 18, 2016
heeradeepak said:
For urgent request you can send them return ticket and payment proof travel date should be approx 6 weeks after urgent applying if they approve it will take 3 weeks.

CIC employees are emotionless they will not considered any case as human and if you are short in days you can apply on humanitarian ground but that route has more delays.
I don't want to put you down. But they simply don't care!

I submitted three urgent requests with tickets and hotel reservations for multiple business trips that I was going to lose my job for. they simply don't give a ****.
and as said they don't care if its business or funeral or death or birth or etc...

adding to this, agents behind the phone are just robots they just follow what u see online. I didn't find any use of them being employed! they answer you the same what you see online. and sometimes they have no clue about what is going on.

Good luck

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The obligations a PR must meet to retain Canadian PR status are remarkably flexible and, actually, rather generous: to retain status to be a Canadian permanent resident, all an individual needs to do is spend not even half his or her time in Canada, and not engage in criminal activity.

A PR who is in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and can readily prove this, and who does not otherwise have admissibility issues, can travel abroad without a PR card. The necessity of obtaining a PR Travel Document for the return flight to Canada is, of course, an inconvenience. But so long as there is no issue about admissibility, no problem submitting objective documentation with the PR TD application showing a life being lived in Canada, there should be no problem.

Bottom-line, Canada does not in any way preclude or even restrict a PR's right to travel abroad.

But sure, those who have not settled permanently in Canada, as indicated by spending less than half their time in Canada, are more or less likely to face elevated scrutiny when applying for a new PR card or for a PR Travel Document. For obvious reasons. There is a PR Residency Obligation and, for anyone who has spent less than 900 days in Canada within the preceding five years, it is reasonable to infer that individual was outside Canada any time that individual does not affirmatively establish his or her presence in Canada . . . after all, if there is any question about where a person was, it is reasonable to infer that person was where they were most of the time, and thus reasonable to infer he or she was outside Canada if they were otherwise outside Canada more than they were in Canada.

Some PRs have more compelling reasons for why they were outside Canada. For the most part, the rules are designed to avoid weighing or assessing those reasons. The PR RO is intended to be flexible and generous enough to accommodate a broad, broad range of contingencies in life which are nonetheless consistent with being a Permanent Resident in Canada. And there is allowance beyond that, in extremely exceptional cases, for some contingencies which compel a PR to be abroad more than that accommodated by the generously flexible PR RO.

Thus, at the risk of coming across as harsh or unsympathetic, but more to the point that the decision to become a PR, and the ongoing decisions one must make to continue to be a PR, may involve some very difficult choices but those are choices the PR gets to make. And some choices entail risks.

Relying on H&C reasons to retain PR status, for example, when one has not actually been living in Canada at least 40% of the time (well less than half time), entails the risk of losing PR status. Regarding this, however, just the fact of being abroad so much of the time is strong evidence, in itself, that there is no great hardship imposed if status in Canada is lost.

For those who have a PR card application in process, which has been referred to secondary review, usually but not always there is an issue of some sort. Thus, IRCC is not as likely to process the PR card replacement application on an urgent basis despite the PR's imminent travel plans. There is, after all, no statutory entitlement to urgent processing, let alone a right.

As to why this process has gotten bogged down, blame those who abuse the system more than blaming IRCC, or the Canadian government generally. That is blame those who do not actually settle permanently in Canada but who make a concerted effort to retain PR status. Sure, more than a few of the latter have compelling reasons for not settling in Canada. But those reasons are rarely, very rarely, due to the Canadian government (even career opportunities, or more to the point the lack of opportunities in Canada, is not government action). And indeed, those reasons may very well be reasons why that individual's circumstances are not consistent with retaining PR status.

teko expresses the view that "they simply don't care," as if IRCC is a social services agency or it is the Canadian government's job is to accommodate PR's ties abroad. IRCC is a bureaucracy with a mandate to implement and enforce immigration laws, not provide social services.

teko said:
. . . for multiple business trips that I was going to lose my job for . . .
Blame the employer's lack of flexibility, not IRCC for doing its job as mandated by law. Moreover, IRCC does not dictate which job a PR takes. That's the PR's choice. Life is full of choices, some more difficult than others. And again, IRCC does not prohibit a PR from traveling abroad without a PR card, and will issue a PR TD to a PR who, as the law prescribes, can prove compliance with the PR RO.

Let us be clear: Canada does not impose criminal or even civil sanctions on those who become PRs but whose lives compel decisions inconsistent with continuing to be a Permanent Resident of Canada. There is no harm, no foul, none imposed by the Canadian government anyway, for failing to meet the PR Residency Obligation and losing PR status. If and when the circumstances of life are such that a PR's best choice is inconsistent with meeting the obligations to retain PR status, or such as to risk being able to meet the obligations to retain PR status, IRCC does not dictate what choice that individual makes. Within a range of reasonable contingencies and probabilities, IRCC does communicate the consequences: PRs who are not permanently settled in Canada and who do not spend at least 40% of their time in Canada risk losing PR status.

In contrast, again, the obligations a PR must meet to retain PR status are incredibly flexible if not generous: as long as one spends an average of five months a year in Canada and does not engage in serious criminality, PR status can be retained.

In any event: Those PRs with a PR card replacement application in secondary review can nonetheless travel abroad without restriction (none imposed by Canada), and so long as they can prove admissibility (including compliance with the PR RO), they will able to obtain a PR TD for their return flight to Canada.

harrycancal

Mar 22, 2016
Heradeepak i did spent more than 730 days in canada out of 5 years and did not stay for more than 1095 days out of canada. Canadian Govt cannot be so emotionless to allow ailing seriously ill mother none other to look after her to leave her alone and let her die !!I gave them all documents of hospitals as well as letter of the doctors.in normal CIC website it is mentioned 730 physical presence in canada i require , this all came out after sending renewal application. Why this harassment when rules say one has to show only 730 days physical presence.?? Also canada airport do not put departure stamp but arrival stamp is there of mumbai airport. are they so emotionless that they want a PR to leave his mom alone to die in hospital.??I am really pained at this attitude that too in a country which is so concerned about human lives.

harrycancal

Mar 22, 2016
my mom kept on waiting for me as i promised her to come back for a month or two to make further plans to ask someone to look after her for the time being, but due to the delay in PR card she was depressed and told her nurse that she just want to see my face before she dies and i just could not fulfill her wish and she died which shattered my soul as she was very close to me. i will always remain guilty.Now i just need to go to India for some important religious rituals for the peace of her soul, also her belongings need to be immersed in holy water immersion has to be performed by a son but CIC knowing all this have put me in secondary review for no fault at all.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
harrycancal said:
Heradeepak i did spent more than 730 days in canada out of 5 years and did not stay for more than 1095 days out of canada. Canadian Govt cannot be so emotionless to allow ailing seriously ill mother none other to look after her to leave her alone and let her die !!I gave them all documents of hospitals as well as letter of the doctors.in normal CIC website it is mentioned 730 physical presence in canada i require , this all came out after sending renewal application. Why this harassment when rules say one has to show only 730 days physical presence.?? Also canada airport do not put departure stamp but arrival stamp is there of mumbai airport. are they so emotionless that they want a PR to leave his mom alone to die in hospital.??I am really pained at this attitude that too in a country which is so concerned about human lives.
As a human I can understand your emotions and pain but CIC does not understand some time i feel that we are dealing with robots if you talk with call center agents their answers are all typical and useless and we have no other way to get access to our file.

Main problem is that after secondary review or RQ they will not open the file for several months or sometime years if they continue the process after receiving required documents there will be no backlog.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harrycancal said:
my mom kept on waiting for me as i promised her to come back for a month or two to make further plans to ask someone to look after her for the time being, but due to the delay in PR card she was depressed and told her nurse that she just want to see my face before she dies and i just could not fulfill her wish and she died which shattered my soul as she was very close to me. i will always remain guilty.Now i just need to go to India for some important religious rituals for the peace of her soul, also her belongings need to be immersed in holy water immersion has to be performed by a son but CIC knowing all this have put me in secondary review for no fault at all.
You can get a PR travel document.

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
harrycancal said:
Hi harrycancal

Sorry to hear this sad news, will pray for her..RIP

We are facing same problem for last 12 months, CIC is least concerned for our feelings or family, they are just following Robotics system but if you want to go, you can leave country and return with Travel Document, take care

harrycancal

Mar 22, 2016
Heeradeepak you said they sometimes take years !!!We need running PR card for many works. Could you tell me why they take years ??I have fulfilled permanent residents obligations of 730 days.

AJK 9 ....Do they issue travel document for returning too or it is one side from Canada??what if i do not get returning document.My wife and son did not get any secondary review but they did ask for color passport copies. we all have similar travel dates similar documents submitted but i have been put in secondary review.
If i travel with travel document will it effect my Renewal case?? Befor e getting secondary review i got a mail from cic a week earlier mentioning my application is sent to client service unit and i can request for fast processing if i want, i feel i did mistake for not contacting all center.

teko

Mar 18, 2016
dpenabill said:
The obligations a PR must meet to retain Canadian PR status are remarkably flexible and, actually, rather generous: to retain status to be a Canadian permanent resident, all an individual needs to do is spend not even half his or her time in Canada, and not engage in criminal activity.

A PR who is in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and can readily prove this, and who does not otherwise have admissibility issues, can travel abroad without a PR card. The necessity of obtaining a PR Travel Document for the return flight to Canada is, of course, an inconvenience. But so long as there is no issue about admissibility, no problem submitting objective documentation with the PR TD application showing a life being lived in Canada, there should be no problem.

Bottom-line, Canada does not in any way preclude or even restrict a PR's right to travel abroad.

But sure, those who have not settled permanently in Canada, as indicated by spending less than half their time in Canada, are more or less likely to face elevated scrutiny when applying for a new PR card or for a PR Travel Document. For obvious reasons. There is a PR Residency Obligation and, for anyone who has spent less than 900 days in Canada within the preceding five years, it is reasonable to infer that individual was outside Canada any time that individual does not affirmatively establish his or her presence in Canada . . . after all, if there is any question about where a person was, it is reasonable to infer that person was where they were most of the time, and thus reasonable to infer he or she was outside Canada if they were otherwise outside Canada more than they were in Canada.

Some PRs have more compelling reasons for why they were outside Canada. For the most part, the rules are designed to avoid weighing or assessing those reasons. The PR RO is intended to be flexible and generous enough to accommodate a broad, broad range of contingencies in life which are nonetheless consistent with being a Permanent Resident in Canada. And there is allowance beyond that, in extremely exceptional cases, for some contingencies which compel a PR to be abroad more than that accommodated by the generously flexible PR RO.

Thus, at the risk of coming across as harsh or unsympathetic, but more to the point that the decision to become a PR, and the ongoing decisions one must make to continue to be a PR, may involve some very difficult choices but those are choices the PR gets to make. And some choices entail risks.

Relying on H&C reasons to retain PR status, for example, when one has not actually been living in Canada at least 40% of the time (well less than half time), entails the risk of losing PR status. Regarding this, however, just the fact of being abroad so much of the time is strong evidence, in itself, that there is no great hardship imposed if status in Canada is lost.

For those who have a PR card application in process, which has been referred to secondary review, usually but not always there is an issue of some sort. Thus, IRCC is not as likely to process the PR card replacement application on an urgent basis despite the PR's imminent travel plans. There is, after all, no statutory entitlement to urgent processing, let alone a right.

As to why this process has gotten bogged down, blame those who abuse the system more than blaming IRCC, or the Canadian government generally. That is blame those who do not actually settle permanently in Canada but who make a concerted effort to retain PR status. Sure, more than a few of the latter have compelling reasons for not settling in Canada. But those reasons are rarely, very rarely, due to the Canadian government (even career opportunities, or more to the point the lack of opportunities in Canada, is not government action). And indeed, those reasons may very well be reasons why that individual's circumstances are not consistent with retaining PR status.

teko expresses the view that "they simply don't care," as if IRCC is a social services agency or it is the Canadian government's job is to accommodate PR's ties abroad. IRCC is a bureaucracy with a mandate to implement and enforce immigration laws, not provide social services.

Blame the employer's lack of flexibility, not IRCC for doing its job as mandated by law. Moreover, IRCC does not dictate which job a PR takes. That's the PR's choice. Life is full of choices, some more difficult than others. And again, IRCC does not prohibit a PR from traveling abroad without a PR card, and will issue a PR TD to a PR who, as the law prescribes, can prove compliance with the PR RO.

Let us be clear: Canada does not impose criminal or even civil sanctions on those who become PRs but whose lives compel decisions inconsistent with continuing to be a Permanent Resident of Canada. There is no harm, no foul, none imposed by the Canadian government anyway, for failing to meet the PR Residency Obligation and losing PR status. If and when the circumstances of life are such that a PR's best choice is inconsistent with meeting the obligations to retain PR status, or such as to risk being able to meet the obligations to retain PR status, IRCC does not dictate what choice that individual makes. Within a range of reasonable contingencies and probabilities, IRCC does communicate the consequences: PRs who are not permanently settled in Canada and who do not spend at least 40% of their time in Canada risk losing PR status.

In contrast, again, the obligations a PR must meet to retain PR status are incredibly flexible if not generous: as long as one spends an average of five months a year in Canada and does not engage in serious criminality, PR status can be retained.

In any event: Those PRs with a PR card replacement application in secondary review can nonetheless travel abroad without restriction (none imposed by Canada), and so long as they can prove admissibility (including compliance with the PR RO), they will able to obtain a PR TD for their return flight to Canada.
Dpenabill seems my post have provoked you. I feel sorry I wasted your time making you type all this common sense sentences.
I am assuming you being this defensive either you work for CIC or you are not in the same situation as all others here!

We are not discussing here what is the immigration system and how it works. You can't defend them as they themselves know they have a great backlog and slow process and clearly admit it. I'm not discussing here ppl who didn't fulfill residency obligation, those should not be offered renewal until the settle here. While I'm talking about those who already passed the residency obligation for renewal and they are treated like those who did not.

If you believe that they know what they do, what would you answer me that some ppl getting their PR renewed without spending more than 5 month in their whole 5 years?
I believe this system should be redesigned and can be done easily by monitoring border movement more efficiently rather han giving ppl hard times when applying for PR renewal or citizenship and ask for time wasting stamps and other supportive documents

Hopeful2016

Dec 9, 2015
ACTUALLY, I believe that they are sending applications to secondary review in specific order, something like from every 4 applications to be processed, send the fourth one to secondary review no matter his/her application is conclusive. Plus of course any clearly suspicious application , So in this way they do random checks on applicants and same time they reduce the processing times on the system as if they are efficient.

Or it is a kind of punishment for people who didn't move immediately to Canada after they got their PR.

I know persons who didn't submit fundamental required information like al the passports they held in the last 5 years and their application went smoothly in just 10 days.