+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob536.asp

This bulletin is for applicants outside of Canada, but I think similar procedure is followed for applicants inside Canada too, esp. this part about second-level review:

"More complex PR card applications, such as those linked to large scale residency investigations, are referred to local CIC offices for investigation and residency determination or to the PRCC Sydney Client Service Unit for a second-level review."

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Chrome said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob536.asp

This bulletin is for applicants outside of Canada, but I think similar procedure is followed for applicants inside Canada too, esp. this part about second-level review:

"More complex PR card applications, such as those linked to large scale residency investigations, are referred to local CIC offices for investigation and residency determination or to the PRCC Sydney Client Service Unit for a second-level review."
This is indeed a significant part of the limited information we have about SR and one of the sources for the observations I have made in trying to help participants and readers here recognize the difference between a Residency Determination only case and SR.

Note that there are three categories for "more complex PR card applications," two of which are referrals to the local office, which can be either for investigation" or a "residency determination."

The other is the Secondary Review referral, to the "PRCC Sydney Client Service Unit." These are obviously not about mere PR RO compliance. Cases which are directly and merely about assessing compliance with the PR RO are referred to the local office, not SR.

Moreover, while it may not be obvious to some, the difference between individual residency determinations or assessments of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and as the OB refers "large scale residency investigations," is largely in reference to the investigation of residency fraud, alluding to the sweeping fraud investigations which were initiated while Jason Kenney was Minister of CIC and which appear to aggressively continue to the present, as discussed in the CBC articles I cited and linked in a post above.

While there are only a few sporadic formal accounts of actual cases referring to what appears to be SR processing that are published in official IAD and Federal Court decisions, some indicate that in addition to the residency fraud investigations there have been those involving security related investigations, for which very little detail is provided due to the confidential nature of the information.

Note about potential PR TD application accelerating processing:

In previous comments I have suggested that some PRs referred to SR or otherwise bogged down in a long delayed non-routine process might benefit from deliberately going abroad and applying for a PR Travel Document. OB 536 is one of the key sources of information I relied on in offering this suggestion. The caveat is that this can be risky for some PRs depending on how strong their proof of compliance with the PR RO is and other factors.

But for the PR who is justifiably confident that there should be no real issue about his or her entitlement to a new PR card, who is sure that he or she was swept into non-routine processing, including SR, due to overly-broad criteria or other non-substantive reason, then applying for the PR TD from abroad forces a Residency Determination which, assuming that is favorable, could push for IRCC to complete processing on the PR card application. There is no guarantee this will work. It is clear that Sydney can still continue investigating before issuing a new PR card. But for the PR who is confident there should be no problems, there is a good chance this will accelerate the outcome and the delivery of a new PR card.

That approach has its risks and inconveniences, including the risk of being stuck abroad or accelerating a negative outcome. But again, for the PR who has well informed, well reasoned confidence in his or her case, that risk should be minimal.

kwtangerine

Oct 14, 2016
dpenabill said:
Note about potential PR TD application accelerating processing:

In previous comments I have suggested that some PRs referred to SR or otherwise bogged down in a long delayed non-routine process might benefit from deliberately going abroad and applying for a PR Travel Document. OB 536 is one of the key sources of information I relied on in offering this suggestion. The caveat is that this can be risky for some PRs depending on how strong their proof of compliance with the PR RO is and other factors.

But for the PR who is justifiably confident that there should be no real issue about his or her entitlement to a new PR card, who is sure that he or she was swept into non-routine processing, including SR, due to overly-broad criteria or other non-substantive reason, then applying for the PR TD from abroad forces a Residency Determination which, assuming that is favorable, could push for IRCC to complete processing on the PR card application. There is no guarantee this will work. It is clear that Sydney can still continue investigating before issuing a new PR card. But for the PR who is confident there should be no problems, there is a good chance this will accelerate the outcome and the delivery of a new PR card.

That approach has its risks and inconveniences, including the risk of being stuck abroad or accelerating a negative outcome. But again, for the PR who has well informed, well reasoned confidence in his or her case, that risk should be minimal.
Unfortunately that is not the case for me. I got recommended to SR on Feb 20, 2016, applied for urgent processing in March for my travel in May 2016, did not hear anything. I applied and received PRTD while I was abroad and was able to reenter Canada successfully on May 29 2016. Requested ATIP in September 2016 and called IRCC numerous times but my case is still pending in SR without any signs of progress.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kwtangerine said:
Unfortunately that is not the case for me. I got recommended to SR on Feb 20, 2016, applied for urgent processing in March for my travel in May 2016, did not hear anything. I applied and received PRTD while I was abroad and was able to reenter Canada successfully on May 29 2016. Requested ATIP in September 2016 and called IRCC numerous times but my case is still pending in SR without any signs of progress.
This report helps illuminate that indeed the SR is about something more than an assessment of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . the grant of the PR TD shows a Residency Determination was made, and still the PR card renewal is bogged down in SR.

This is why I said that the PR TD approach will only work for some.

What some seem to be overlooking is that they submitted an application showing compliance with the PR RO. That meets the PR RO requirement . . . unless IRCC, in effect, suspects misrepresentation, and an investigation for misrepresentation not only tends to result in delays, the consequences looming are more serious.

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
dpenabill said:
This report helps illuminate that indeed the SR is about something more than an assessment of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . the grant of the PR TD shows a Residency Determination was made, and still the PR card renewal is bogged down in SR.

This is why I said that the PR TD approach will only work for some.

What some seem to be overlooking is that they submitted an application showing compliance with the PR RO. That meets the PR RO requirement . . . unless IRCC, in effect, suspects misrepresentation, and an investigation for misrepresentation not only tends to result in delays, the consequences looming are more serious.
I do think during secondary review(whether local or secondary review team), CIC is definitely checking something with other agencies. Depending on how fast they respond and how many cases are referred, they will respond to the applicant. I dont think its a witch-hunt but i do think they are being thorough. And not a lot of folks with under 800 days are getting excused. In fact, its more or less, almost everyone who has less than 800 days is getting referred and there are a few who have escaped but if you have renewed your passport etc during this time, there is a good chance of referral. Its unique to every individual applicant's circumstance. They are following the same parameters for RQs.

Its just that almost everyone from 2014-2015 under 800 days was getting referred. In mid 2016, there has definitely been a change in priority after the non stop complaints about PR card renewal delays even for routine cases (It went from 180 days to 31 days now for a reason). In fact, the minister himself said so at a July forum. I dont think getting a PRTD would make much of a difference. Why would it ? The visa officer abroad is only providing the PRTD based on the circumstances at that time when he looks on his FOSS screen. The story of a recent member who traveled through the US and came back had the CBSA officer ask the person on why the person didnt have a renewed card and the person replied with because s/he hadnt received the renewed card and the officer checks and corroborates this info but cant see any issue on the screen and the person was waiting for 20 months for the PR card at that point. Yes, many have received their cards out of order too because during this process, before the new urgent process rules went into effect in late August, those who submitted under previous rules could also have been put into the urgent queue and got it processed. Now, with more stringent rules, they really dont want anyone to skip the line in secondary review so to speak just to have their cases wrapped up unless there is a legit family emergency and/or sickness and/or job related travel. Rhetorically speaking, if someone has a family emergency, will the person be thinking about their PR card or about their family ? Then again, how they come up with these rules/procedures is something only they can answer. I would think common sense would dictate in an urgent situation, at least give some latitude to allow the person to travel urgently and come back with whatever proof they need. But here again, just like when they set up RQs, or when they set up their millionaire investor program that attracted 7 people, those affected are the ones who struggle.

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
I still think it's all about residency investigation and determination. The reason for the processing delay may be just the backlog the second-review team has.

The GCMS notes show if there are any pending assessments of security, criminality, or misrepresentation. If they are working on these issues I don't see any reason for not updating the system with the results. Anyone stuck in the secondary review queue can check for himself and see if his record is being updated or not.

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Chrome said:
I still think it's all about residency investigation and determination. The reason for the processing delay may be just the backlog the second-review team has.

The GCMS notes show if there are any pending assessments of security, criminality, or misrepresentation. If they are working on these issues I don't see any reason for not updating the system with the results. Anyone stuck in the secondary review queue can check for himself and see if his record is being updated or not.
From mostly anecdotal evidence on this forum and from what my MP's office has understood and also, speaking with IRCC call center agents, they all said its the backlog of secondary review files. For security checks, enforcement etc, all info is already within ICES, FOSS, CPIC and NCIC. So if anything, they would need to verify the info with CBSA. And of course, CRA. For example, if you came back from a long time abroad, is the time that you said you were abroad to the CBSA officer the same as that you have mentioned on your application etc. Most old forms from 2015 up till Oct didnt even have the checkbox to obtain CRA info. Also, i think if you have multiple passports, there is a possibility they might reach out to the embassy itself to seek validity of your new travel document like why did the person ask for renewal etc. In the news article that came out over the weekend was for people identified for misrepresenting residency compliance. They had altered their passports, requested additional passports, faked even working for a Canadian company by paying themselves etc.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
vop said:
Its just that almost everyone from 2014-2015 under 800 days was getting referred.
The correlation between cutting-it-close and what CIC, now IRCC, identifies as a reason to elevate scrutiny (including both applicants issued the equivalent of RQ from the local office as well as those referred for Secondary Review), goes beyond just the numbers. As I previously observed, PRs who do not appear to be settled and living in Canada permanently, who thus do not appear to have immigrated consistent with the purpose of being granting PR status, are more likely to be targeted for further inquiries and investigation.

Note about 2014 and into 2015: it appears that during that time period Minister Alexander (Harper really holding the reins) CIC may have been deliberately engaged in an overly broad sweep of PR card applicants similar to what CIC had done in 2012 (Jason Kenney then Minister) relative to citizenship applicants, pursuant to which very broad criteria were utilized, which was done in part to escalate the interdiction of fraud but also done to compile comparative data for use in refining the criteria employed. In the citizenship context that almost brought citizenship application processing to a standstill, resulting in a timeline of 18 months to two years for even the most routine applications, and a large number of non-routine applications slipped well beyond three years, some even four.

Nonetheless, my sense is there will continue to be a higher correlation between cutting-it-close and what IRCC identifies as a reason to elevate scrutiny, so that those who cut-it-close will continue to have a higher risk of a local office residency assessment or a referral to Secondary Review.

vop said:
I dont think getting a PRTD would make much of a difference.
It depends on whether what is primarily in issue is merely an assessment of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation or something more. If the primary issue is compliance with the PR RO, a Residency Determination done by the visa office in processing a PR TD application will resolve that issue. That determination will be revisited in Sydney or the local office, but if that was the primary issue there is a good prospect this would accelerate the issuance of a new PR card.

Similarly under the pre-August urgent processing request process: many who were in SR were denied urgent processing. But some in SR reported that they did indeed soon get a PR card after properly requesting urgent processing. I do not know for sure, but my strong sense is that these were cases in which the primary issue, at least the primary issue outstanding at the time of the request for urgent processing, was a Residency Determination, an assessment of compliance with the PR RO, and these PRs were indeed processed urgently and if there were any other concerns or issues, urgent processing was denied.

The problem, as I have made a concerted effort to highlight, is that many if not most SR cases involve something more or other than an assessment for compliance with the PR RO. So most in SR are, indeed, not particularly likely to accelerate their PR card application by applying for either a PR TD or urgent processing.

vop said:
Yes, many have received their cards out of order too because during this process, before the new urgent process rules went into effect in late August, those who submitted under previous rules could also have been put into the urgent queue and got it processed.
Reminder: Urgent processing has long (always?) been discretionary, and even now with urgent processing limited to more or less emergency or compelling circumstances, there is no automatically moving up the queue no matter what the emergency is.

Chrome said:

It is probably correct that the reason for how long SR is taking is indeed likely to be in large part about a backlog and processing these cases is a low priority (compared to processing routine applications for example, and especially compared to processing the issuance of new PR cards for recently landed PRs).

Otherwise, again, there is a huge difference between a "residency investigation" and a routine "Residency Determination" (that is, the assessment of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation). And something more than the latter is ordinarily involved when there is a referral for SR.

GCMS notes will not necessarily show if there are pending security or misrepresentation investigations, and indeed will ordinarily NOT show these. As noted before, this aspect of processing is confidential and even the respective fields in GCMS, let alone the entries in those fields, are invisible (redacted) in the reports generated for clients.

A field for routine RCMP clearances may appear including entry indicating whether it is completed or is pending, and if completed that means there should be no concern about criminality based on criminal charges or convictions in Canada, but is no indication of much at all beyond that. Of course, the PR himself or herself knows whether there are any criminal charges or convictions in Canada, so that should be no mystery to the PR, no ATIP request necessary to obtain that information. Since inadmissibility has been expanded to also apply to serious criminality for comparable crimes abroad, whether or not inquiries abroad for the purpose of checking criminal records will be reflected in the report from GCMS issued to clients, I do not know. But here too, if an issue of this sort is lurking in the PR's history, that is something the PR should be well aware of, again with no need to make the ATIP request to learn of it.

Indication of investigation for misrepresentation will only show in GCMS (for purposes of what is divulged or copied to clients) once a formal report alleging inadmissibility is made. The investigation is done by that time. And it would be likely that the PR would have received a formal allegation of such by that time. In the meantime, ATIP responses are not likely to alert a PR if there is an inquiry or investigation into possible misrepresentation (especially any related to earlier transactions with CIC or IRCC in which IRCC is concerned there might have been misrepresentations made).

Toward Understanding These Observations In Context:

While a lot of what is involved in SR is legally behind closed curtains, there is no reason to suspect that IRCC's approach is capricious or arbitrary, let alone nefarious or malicious. Many, perhaps most participants here understand the context and have a good grasp of the overall process, and their complaint is rightfully that the timeline is excessive. But a significant part of this topic tends to characterize SR as an abusive burden arbitarily imposed on innocent PRs for little or no reason.

To the extent that qualified PRs are dragged into the SR process, yes that is a problem, but that is a problem that could and should be addressed by either a more timely process to resolve questions, or the implementation of alternatives which would provide PRs with at least temporary status documents pending the resolution of IRCC's concerns.

But it would be a mistake to underestimate the extent to which those referred to SR are likely being scrutinized for some particular suspicion and it is most likely not merely about whether or not the PR spent at least 730 days in Canada within the previous five years.

And let's be honest: the fact of suspicion probably is a large part of why addressing the excessive timeline is among the lower priorities for IRCC and the government generally.

There is no overt requirement that a PR must deserve to keep PR status in order to keep PR status. Only a fool fails to recognize, however, that the extent to which it appears that a PR deserves (or does not deserve) to keep PR status can have a big impact on how things go. And PRs who appear to be exploiting Canada's immigration system tend to give the impression they might not deserve to keep PR status.

Re Purpose of lenient PR Residency Obligation:

In this regard, from another topic:

vop said:
I do think the IRPA kept the rules flexible (2 out of 5 years) for the globalized world that we live in and its not just for emergencies as some have suggested. It is to allow people to work elsewhere if they want to but to ensure that they establish here at some point or be based out of here and live here. It is the main reason imo that they didnt revisit the rules even in bill c-24 because they felt it would harm intra company employees, high ranking executives etc.
I do not have the time now, but I have already previously linked (including, as I recall, earlier in this specific topic, and over the years in multiple topics) a number of official decisions, statements of law by Federal Court justices explicitly stating that the purpose of granting PR status is for permanent settlement in Canada and that the two year minimum presence requirement is deliberately flexible and generous in order to accommodate a wide range of contingencies and demands which PRs sometimes experience. The context for these statements of the law (statements by Federal Court justices are part of the official, applicable law) is typically about denying H&C relief, noting that the rule is intended to be flexible enough to accommodate all but the most unusual emergencies and or compelling circumstances (such as a minor who is taken out of Canada by parents, the minor having no say). In addition to the Federal Court decisions, however, there are scores of IAD decisions which cite very similar language, about the purpose of the generous minimum presence requirement and its application.

It is one thing to speculate about the reasons for a law or rule, but in this regard no speculation is warranted because official sources of law have explicitly stated the purpose of the generous and flexible PR RO rules.

Nonetheless, there is no doubt that two years in Canada, in the previous five, satisfies the requirements. 730 days in the previous 1825 days is enough.

What PRs who spend extended periods of time abroad need to be aware of is that those who [i[cut-it-close[/i] AND otherwise do not appear to be fully settled in Canada, or settling in Canada, can expect elevated scrutiny and delays.

Among the many examples of frustration reported in this forum, it is fairly common to see a PR who has spent less than half his or her time in Canada, who still has work or residential ties abroad, and who applies for a new PR card within a short period of time prior to (or even after) the expiration of his or her current PR card, who also has made plans to travel abroad within the next six or ten months.

For these PRs, and there appears to be many, heads-up: . . . there is a good chance of either non-routine RQ processing in the local office or SR processing in Sydney, either of which will delay the processing of a new PR card application. And for those referred to SR, current delays have well exceeded a year or more.

And to date, IRCC appears to have little sympathy or concern for those who face serious inconveniences due to this. The process is actually more friendly toward those who have already had a negative Residency Determination and denied a PR TD or been issued a Departure Order, since these PRs can appeal and during the appeal are eligible for temporary one-year PR cards.

vop said:
In the news article that came out over the weekend was for people identified for misrepresenting residency compliance. They had altered their passports, requested additional passports, faked even working for a Canadian company by paying themselves etc.
Actually, if you read both articles you will note that in addition to the hundreds who have already had proceedings against their Canadian status commenced, there are hundreds more, PRs and citizens, who were the client of just that one consultant who are now also being investigated just because they were that consultant's client. If in the course of reviewing or investigating their histories, IRCC or CBSA or the RCMP find evidence of fraud, then those PRs and citizens will also have proceedings commenced against their status in Canada.

What we do not know is to what extent any association with those already targeted will trigger additional investigations into the immigration history of other PRs or naturalized citizens. For example, based on what can be gleaned from accounts of actual cases reported in IAD and Federal Court decisions, it is apparent that IRCC and CBSA have expanded their databases to identify suspect addresses (probably by postal code rather than precise address), suspect telephone numbers, suspect employers, and so on . . .

For example, once the name of a particular employer is connected to misrepresentation, it appears that employer will have a GCMS record. Thus, elevated scrutiny of a particular PR could involve GCMS checks on particular information reported by the PR. If, say, in his declaration of work history, the PR reports a period of employment with XYZDE Company, and at some point in the past CIC or IRCC has entered a GCMS record specifically for XYZDE Company because that company was identified as involved in making or facilitating a misrepresentation to IRCC, if the scope of inquiries made do a GCMS check on XYZDE Company, and a hit is more or less likely to trigger further inquiries or investigation.

What I know about the latter scenario arises more in the contex of misrepresentation cases in assessing applications other than PR card applications. Typical scenario revealed in an IAD or Federal Court decision might be that an applicant for PR has a letter of employment from XYZDE Company, a GCMS check reveals that CIC or IRCC has previously identified this company as providing false or misleading documentation on behalf of another CIC or IRCC client, in the past, and so this triggers elevated scrutiny of the applicant which has often involved telephone inquiries to XYZDE Company itself.

What those accounts (again, these are from official sources about actual cases, as reported in IAD or Federal Court decisions) reveal is a glimpse into the underlying process (which IRCC prefers to keep as confidential as it can), which is that for any given IRCC client, IRCC can conduct, and sometimes will conduct, GCMS queries for any of the detailed information relating to that client . . . from employers identified in work history to, again, postal codes or telephone numbers, and even family members.

The thing is, since many immigrants find work through contacts with other immigrants, or find housing through contacts with other immigrants, so it is easy for a PR to have had an incidental connection to an employer, residential area, or such, which for reasons totally unrelated to the PR could invite collateral inquiries . . . and of course there is always a queue for those to be done, and for those in SR the queue tends to be way long, in part due to the low priority SR'd PRs have.

I am revealing information which, I'd bet a lot, IRCC prefers to not be publicized. And ordinarily I would respect that, within what is fair parameters anyway.

But it is my strong impression that scores and scores of PRs have misconceptions about their status, what puts their status at risk, and what can lead to excessive processing timelines for what should be relatively routine procedures, like renewing a PR card.

And IRCC is doing little to inform PRs adequately of what is really expected, failing to timely process the applications of legitimate PRs, failing to offer any alternative status documents for PRs stuck in SR or other delays in issuing a new PR card.

Many PRs are also unaware of how seriously their status can be compromised or be put at risk due to any connection with an unauthorized representative ("consultant").

I have no axe to grind here. I applied for citizenship just a few months more than three years ago and became a citizen in far less time than it is taking many PRs to get a renewed PR card application processed. Many years ago, for selfish reasons (being at elevated risk for RQ), I began following and researching residency related issues, and of course there is a lot of overlap in residency cases for PRs and citizenship applicants, and to research citizenship residency cases I have basically at least skimmed almost every Federal Court decision involving CIC or IRCC or CBSA for many years now (reading recent decisions is part of my weekly routine), and closely reading virtually every residency cased related Federal Court decision published in the last five or six years. I have nearly four decades (I am an old man) of education, training, and professional experience in doing the kind of research I have been doing, for many years now, in regards to PR and citizenship residency issues (but no formal Canadian training, experience, or credentials).

I strongly believe the system should be fair. I recognize there will always be imperfect processes, imperfect procedures, and way too many particular instances of imperfect decision-making. And I recognize the inherent difficulties of bureaucratic procedure, especially for a huge bureaucracy like IRCC. I have offered what I hope will give some insight into how things work, as well as we in the public can figure these things out. PRs are Canadians and Canadians not only deserve but have a right, a constitutional right, to fair procedures and just decision-making, which includes the right to timely decision-making. What is less certain is to what extent there is a right to more transparency about these procedures and processes. My view tends to think that the right to fair procedure requires more transparency than the government now provides (the Harper government severely moved the needle in this respect, and once a procedure has moved behind the curtain bureaucracies tend to keep them behind the curtain).

Mostly I see way too many reports of surprise and frustration due to an unexpected referral to SR. Those who cut-it-close should not be surprised, and should be aware of the range of issues and concerns which may be examined in the SR process. They should also, however, be comforted that it is not an arbitrary or capricious process, but is indeed a fact-based, criteria driven process, and thus legitimate PRs who play by the rules ultimately need not fear the outcome, albeit they will suffer the inconveniences along the way . . .
. . . which leads to another reason for drilling so deeply into all this: so that those who engage in activist efforts to motivate IRCC to address the problems can better focus on reality based problems and realistic solutions. Ranting against the unfairness of SR generally is pointless, futile, and likely counter-productive (after all, suspects in any respect tend to not be given respect, and for practical purposes, subjects of SR are more or less suspects), and to be frank, also unfounded, not reality based (notwithstanding the innocents, one might say, dragged into the SR process, for many if not most who are subject to SR there are most likely legitimate reasons why IRCC is mandated to conduct elevated scrutiny and additional investigation).

In contrast, advocacy aimed at persuading MPs or the Minister of IRCC to implement more timely processing or, alternatively, allow SR'd PRs at least the same opportunity to obtain a temporary PR card pending resolution as is now given to those who have been issued Departure Orders, seems a worthwhile cause. Chances of success may not be great, but there is a problem here unjustly affecting legitimate PRs and the government needs to be prodded to deal with problems like this.

kmbm91

Jul 17, 2015
kmbm91 said:
I'm on a similar boat here... My case is somewhat different. I don't even know if it qualifies as PR Card Renewal! I kept my residency status after a hearing held with the IRB where the panel stated that I was able to keep it under H&C (have the resolution and all)

Moved to Canada afterwards (July 2016) I sent my application for a NEW PR CARD (though I lived here in the 90's, I've never had one!!) and enclosed such IRB resolution along everything else. Called the CIC last week just to be informed my application was sent for "further review" in Hamilton... what's there to review??? My status was determined at the hearing...

And my ECAS doesn't show any changes but "In Process" no other information was sent to me... I would've never known if I hadn't call...
Hi Everyone,

I just want to let everybody know that I called yesterday and they told me my PR card is already requested and that I should get it in the upcoming 6 weeks either by mail or through pick-up. They told me they sent my application to further review in September this year (original application sent in July this year) so it didn't take the 18-24 months I've been reading. I guess they do review case by case separately and no standard whatsoever.

Thanks all

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
kmbm91 said:
Hi Everyone,

I just want to let everybody know that I called yesterday and they told me my PR card is already requested and that I should get it in the upcoming 6 weeks either by mail or through pick-up. They told me they sent my application to further review in September this year (original application sent in July this year) so it didn't take the 18-24 months I've been reading. I guess they do review case by case separately and no standard whatsoever.

Thanks all
As trend shows and 100% I do believe that they are focusing now secondary review cases and within few months all will go to Complete stage.

This is culture of CIC, history tells they are creating back logs and when things are out of reach they are clearing that within months.

harshalp

Mar 22, 2016
Good News guys!
I called CIC today (Dec 5) and they said my PR renewal has been approved. She said my new PR card was sent to production on December 1, 2016.
I signed into my account yesterday (Dec 4) to check my status but I was getting this message: "We were not able to identify you using the information you provided. There could be three possible reasons" so I knew something was up and decided to call CIC. Here's my timeline for your reference:

We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 31, 2015.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 23, 2016.
We started processing your application on January 23, 2016.
We sent you correspondence on January 27, 2016. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

My question for everyone is How long does it take to receive new PR card in mail after it goes into production? CIC told me it can take up to 6 weeks. I would like to hear from people who recently got their PR card.

Osama912

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
harshalp said:
Good News guys!
I called CIC today (Dec 5) and they said my PR renewal has been approved. She said my new PR card was sent to production on December 1, 2016.
I signed into my account yesterday (Dec 4) to check my status but I was getting this message: "We were not able to identify you using the information you provided. There could be three possible reasons" so I knew something was up and decided to call CIC. Here's my timeline for your reference:

We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 31, 2015.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 23, 2016.
We started processing your application on January 23, 2016.
We sent you correspondence on January 27, 2016. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

My question for everyone is How long does it take to receive new PR card in mail after it goes into production? CIC told me it can take up to 6 weeks. I would like to hear from people who recently got their PR card.
Thanks for giving hope
I have exactly same time line as you, and also I couldn't check my status yesterday it gives me same error as you have

harshalp

Mar 22, 2016
Osama912 said:
Thanks for giving hope
I have exactly same time line as you, and also I couldn't check my status yesterday it gives me same error as you have
Call CIC and ask them for your status. If you are getting the same error as me, your PR card might have been approved too.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
heeradeepak said:
As trend shows and 100% I do believe that they are focusing now secondary review cases and within few months all will go to Complete stage.

This is culture of CIC, history tells they are creating back logs and when things are out of reach they are clearing that within months.
His was just a special case.

Most reviews are due to residency related queries, and we haven't seen any faster processing in those.