+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
tonymiz said:
I had the same thing since last December as well until today, the ecas is updated.. I believe you will get it soon because they are picking up the pace..
Good luck
Congrats tonymiz! Wonderful to hear the good news for you!

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
ivylane said:
Hi Tonymiz did you get an email to say your pr card was issuued and in the mail or did it just arrive
Thank you all!!
Hi Ivylane, I just received in the mail, but it was not yet updated on eCAS. They updated it the day after on eCAS.
I never received an email. Check your mail every day :)

good luck!

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
decent guy said:
Congratulations Tonymiz!
I'm glad you made it. I truly understand how much tension it is to go through something like this for you
and rest of those who are waiting indefinitely.
My best wishes to everyone else who are on line waiting for their turn.
Don't lose hope, I'm sure things will move if you all put pressure on your MP's and the Immigration Minister.
Cheers,
Decent Guy
Thanks Decentguy, It was quite a ride!! But the good news is that things have been moving faster lately!

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
Has anyone of you guys applied for citizenship?
Do you think the secondary review affects the citizenship processing in any way?

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Chrome said:
Has anyone of you guys applied for citizenship?
Do you think the secondary review affects the citizenship processing in any way?
Secondary review of PR renewal doesn't make any affects for applying citizenship only condition is you must fulfill the requirements.

I applied June 2016 written and passed test 9th Sep now waiting for Oath.

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
heeradeepak said:
Secondary review of PR renewal doesn't make any affects for applying citizenship only condition is you must fulfill the requirements.

I applied June 2016 written and passed test 9th Sep now waiting for Oath.
That's good to hear!
Good luck with your citizenship application, hope you'll get it soon.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
sayadil said:
I got CBSa record they only show my earlier entry after three year absense back in 2011 and again my entry from USA in 2013 and me being questioned in 2013 by cbsa and his opinion. Post that I have no exit record when I left for India in 2014 and now shows my entry in 2016 November...
I have a police report when I lose the passport so I'm planing to send that along with some explanation. What can I possibly use to show that I was in Canada from 2011 and 2014 when I left. They see my entry in 2011 and then again in 2013 and entry in 2016.

They see none of the exits on cbsa sheet. Please guide... should I hire a lawyer to help with secondary review and how much should I be paying?? Anyone here can recommend a reasonable lawyer

Meanwhile anyone here who had secondary review and PR got revoked???

I'm surprised they can track when we move in and out of country saving us the hardship to prove it!! If they doubt our submission they should be able to prove their doubts
CBSA doesnt give exits it gives only entries .

What can I possibly use to show that I was in Canada from 2011 and 2014 when I left

Try to get health records during this time which may prove you are in canada. contact Indian embassy if you can get movement certificate when ever you visited India.

2011- you came back from India
2013- came from US
2016- came back from India
Does your last visit has stamp on new passport?. These kind of letters are time bound .check it and respond quickly

nloke

Nov 28, 2016
We received your application for a permanent resident card on June 12, 2015.
We started processing your application on November 16, 2015.
We sent you a letter on November 16, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on November 7, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on November 14, 2016

Did not get the Card till 24th November, 2016

No extra information was asked during SR process. In my opinion it is a simple application, not a lot of travelling, but only have 2yrs and 3 months in Canada, easily verified with CBSA. In any case I guess if you don't have 3 years, you will most likely end up in SR. They might as well make the minimum RO to 3 years and make this whole process easier and save some tax payers money to maintain the SR team.

Wish the rest who are still waiting all the best.

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
nloke said:
We received your application for a permanent resident card on June 12, 2015.
We started processing your application on November 16, 2015.
We sent you a letter on November 16, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on November 7, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on November 14, 2016

Did not get the Card till 24th November, 2016

No extra information was asked during SR process. In my opinion it is a simple application, not a lot of travelling, but only have 2yrs and 3 months in Canada, easily verified with CBSA. In any case I guess if you don't have 3 years, you will most likely end up in SR. They might as well make the minimum RO to 3 years and make this whole process easier and save some tax payers money to maintain the SR team.

Wish the rest who are still waiting all the best.
Congratulations nloke :)

I totally agree with you. I applied after 2 years and 2 months in Canada, and I think that's the reason why my application was referred for a secondary review. My residency can be easily verified too. The CBSA record shows the entry date and the photos are stamped with the date of the application, and no travels in between. I guess we just have to wait.

Cameron2020

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
CanV said:
Yes to local office. No it doesnt take 10 months, maybe an extra month or 2.

That is completely wrong. So far they have kept me waiting for 4 months after they started their ridiculous second review and whenever I contacted them, they said there is no time limit for that. It means it may take years. However, I heard from another person who had the same problem that it took a year for her. This is how they behave with a 5 year permanent resident, or it can be even a 10 year PR or 15 year PR.
It means you can't leave Canada for at least 1 year and if you have to leave, you can't come back until that procedure ends. Getting a travel document as they suggest is as difficult as getting your PR card, because again you should prove them that you have been in Canada for 2 years during the last 5 years and all other stuffs. This is a vicious cycle!!!!!

abdulazizo

Nov 28, 2016
I have sent renewal application for my PR card on Nov 14, 2016 as urgent because I will travel to my home country for emergency case on Dec 12, 2016. I have sent all documents which they need and I have completed 730 day inside Canada, today I received an Emile from CIC which include:

This refers to the application(s) for a Permanent Resident Card that you filed with this office. The purpose of this letter is to advise you that a preliminary review of your application has been completed. Your file has now been referred for a secondary review. This review will result in an additional delay. However, we will endeavor to finalize your application as soon as possible. You will be contacted if additional information or documents are required to complete your file.

I am wondering if that means they won't send my card before I travel, and what I can expect in this situation.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
abdulazizo said:
I have sent renewal application for my PR card on Nov 14, 2016 as urgent because I will travel to my home country for emergency case on Dec 12, 2016. I have sent all documents which they need and I have completed 730 day inside Canada, today I received an Emile from CIC which include:

This refers to the application(s) for a Permanent Resident Card that you filed with this office. The purpose of this letter is to advise you that a preliminary review of your application has been completed. Your file has now been referred for a secondary review. This review will result in an additional delay. However, we will endeavor to finalize your application as soon as possible. You will be contacted if additional information or documents are required to complete your file.

I am wondering if that means they won't send my card before I travel, and what I can expect in this situation.
It is very difficult to predict how long any SR review process will take. Many participants here have been bogged down in SR for well over a year, many for 16 or more months. However, it is more likely that many SR'd applications are processed much faster than that, and indeed as someone else suggested, sometimes just a couple months longer than the routine processing timeline.

There are many misconceptions about SR promoted in this forum and in this topic in particular.

There is, for example, a widespread misconception that Secondary Review is about verifying the PR spent the requisite 730 days in Canada within the preceding five years, that is, it is about verifying compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. That may be a triggering factor but it is not what SR is usually about.

Recent posts for example reflect this erroneous view.

nloke said:
No extra information was asked during SR process. In my opinion it is a simple application, not a lot of travelling, but only have 2yrs and 3 months in Canada, easily verified with CBSA. In any case I guess if you don't have 3 years, you will most likely end up in SR.
Chrome said:
Congratulations nloke :)

I totally agree with you. I applied after 2 years and 2 months in Canada, and I think that's the reason why my application was referred for a secondary review. My residency can be easily verified too. The CBSA record shows the entry date and the photos are stamped with the date of the application, and no travels in between. I guess we just have to wait.
Yes, it appears likely that the PR who has been outside Canada more than in Canada during the preceding five years (as in less than 900 days, particularly if less than 800 days) is at higher risk for a referral to SR. But SR is more about suspicion of inadmissibility for reasons other than a breach of the PR Residency Obligation. Suspicion of fraud is perhaps the more common reason. Security concerns are also a reason for SR.

Obviously, the longer a PR has been abroad, the more that opens the possibility of activities involving potential security concerns, and the more difficult and time-consuming it is for IRCC to fully examine such individuals.

Obviously, the PR who has been abroad more than in Canada appears, potentially, to not be pursuing the purpose of the grant of PR, which is to settle and live permanently in Canada, and this can raise some questions about the PR's intentions and credibility, and thus be a reason to not only more thoroughly examine the reported presence in Canada but to more extensively probe the PR's immigration history and representations.

These are just a couple of the associations between the PR who has been outside Canada extensively and reasons why IRCC might elect to subject that PR to a more in-depth examination, that is, to Secondary Review.

For some, the additional inquiries are likely to be resolved more or less promptly. For others the process could take a lot longer.

Additionally, in the last several years CIC and now IRCC have been aggressively pursuing investigations related to a number of high profile fraud cases.

This has led the government to literally suspect many thousands of PRs and naturalized citizens. For example, in following up the investigation of clients for one particular non-authorized consultant in BC, well over a thousand PRs and Canadian citizens have come under suspicion. Hundreds of PRs and naturalized citizens are facing revocation of status proceedings for fraud now, and many more hundreds are still being investigated.

See "Clients of convicted immigration consultant facing deportation for lying" at CBC . . . http://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/clients-of-convicted-immigration-consultant-facing-deportation-for-lying-1.3868330

See "'Paper lives': Massive immigration fraud detailed at sentencing" . . . http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/immigration-fraud-china-canada-1.3826942

Those stories are just about one such crooked consultant. Many more have been identified and prosecuted in the GTA and Montreal, leading authorities to similarly pursue investigations into the clients of those respective consultants; and there have been a couple more in Ottawa. Windsor, Calgary, and Halifax, and so on.

We have no idea to what extent the government is further investigating any immigrant who so much has some association or connection with any of the many thousands of clients already tied to the numerous crooked consultants. The government is following up on anyone and everyone who used the same telephone number, employer, residential postal code, in addition everyone who used those consultants in any aspect of their immigration history.

The good news is that, contrary to the complaints made by Lorne Waldman and other lawyers representing hundreds who are facing loss of Canadian status for misrepresentations made in their paperwork (even if that was many, many years ago), it appears that this is not a witch hunt and that anyone who did not engage in fraud, or have a consultant who facilitated their immigration by fraud, is not being targeted for loss of status. Thus, while a large number appear to have been swept into the delays caused by further scrutiny and investigation, legitimate immigrants will eventually be cleared and have their PR cards issued to them.

We all pay the price for those few who engage in fraud. And of course they are the ones mostly to blame, not the hardworking bureaucrats who are mandated to apply and enforce the law and who have to try to stay ahead of the schemes to exploit Canada's immigration system.

Reminder: There are also some misconceptions about meeting the minimum presence requirement for PR status. Many seem to totally underestimate that the minimum requirement is specifically to accommodate unusual contingencies in life, that generally Canada expects PRs to come to Canada to settle and live permanently in Canada, and not pursue work or life abroad while maintaining just the minimum tie to Canada that will sustain PR status. Those PRs whose history is inconsistent with the purpose of PR status, that is whose history does not reflect coming to settle and work and live permanently in Canada, will naturally incur more suspicion from CBSA and IRCC. That is how it is.

mira8098

Aug 7, 2015
Guys Today I got my card on the mail :D I am happy and right on time my flight is in 2 days my process is as follows:

send papers sept 20 2015
second review feb 06 2016
send a letter of urgent request on nov 20th and on nov 24 they sent my card to the mail and today i got it.

I wish you guys the best and good luck!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Chrome said:
For me, GCMS notes show that the "residency obligation" assessment is what is pending.
Since the object and methods of Secondary Review are investigatory, they are confidential and not divulged even to the client (PR) who makes a proper ATIP request. Thus, it is highly unlikely that GCMS notes will reveal much of anything about the SR. On the other hand, since IRCC is not likely to make the Residency Determination itself (which is the assessment of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation) until the SR is completed, to the extent GCMS notes will reflect that a Residency Determination is still pending, indicates little or nothing about the status of the SR.

Again, many make the mistake of overlooking that the assessment of compliance with the PR RO is not usually the reason for or primary object of the SR, even though questions about compliance with the PR RO tends to be one of the factors increasing the risk of getting SR.

Reminders:

-- there are reports indicating many who apply for the PR card with less than 800 days presence get the card without going through SR
-- criteria for SR referral are confidential, not divulged to the public