+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
mathlete said:
I think the problem you are referring to is pretty complicated. I started a business here about 4 years ago with 100% FDI. We employ around 30 full time Canadians and PRs with a monthly payroll of around $150k. My business partner at the time we opened our doors could not qualify for any type of a work permit (sorry we are all out entrepreneurial, investor, skilled you name it). In the end we employed his wife and he got a spousal visa as she was American and qualified under NAFTA.

Then I read about all these people who somehow made it into Canada and are sucking the system dry and I have no idea how they got in here to do that in the first place. We tried to employ one international as a sponsored application and couldn't even get a favorable Labor Market Opinion 3 months later and $10k on a lawyer. Even then the only jobs you can really get someone in here to do must pay reasonably well, minimum is 60K I think although it depends on the position. I remember we had to offer (what we thought was) above market for the LMO.

At university in Toronto there were a lot of international students who were looking to get PR, then citizenship and go home. These were the CoCs but none of them were welfare hogs and most got decent jobs after graduation.

I think we need to look at the source of this problem. Is it even a problem? Are there a bunch of PRs on welfare? If so how many? What are they costing us? How did they get PR? If it was economic what happened to their high paying job? If it is sponsored what happened to the guarantor? A lot of what's been said here doesn't make sense to me.
Lot of people are looking for work.Well educated people are also looking for labor job.Just check Kijiji.You will see more people looking for work than job posting.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Every PR who is here as a skilled worker can get welfare after 3 months of landing, most of them are spending the money and they live on welfare until they get the citizenship.

The only period they can't apply for welfare is the first 3 months... after that the Canadian charity system will take care for them until they leave, because to receive welfare they have to be physically here and not to have any income.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
What you said is true.My basement mate he migrated with his wife and one kid.First 3 months he worked(wife stayed home).Now both husband and wife are on welfare.Now she is pregnant with second child.I was surprised that when both of them are unemployed how could they afford one more child.This will happen only in Canada.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many of the CoCs are like " Perfect now we have to stay here extra time, that means that we will extend our vacation."

Many Canadians of convenience are taking the welfare as a very long vacation. And now the government want them to stay officially here just like " Why you guys have to go back and work when meanwhile we can pay your bills and you can live for free."

Canada is really a strange country.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
All of you are making some good points, while also generalizing some issues which is not right and fair to some. However can we please go back to discussing only the main point of this topic which is the "effective date of bill c24". I have about 60 days left before I can apply and the closer we get the more stressful it is, because if I don't apply now then I will only be able to apply in the summer of 2017.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The government could have said the cut off date officially long time ago. I still can't believe that they are keeping it deliberately as a mystery when apparently it is very close now. What a nasty game they play against all the eligible people who are ready to apply in April, May, June, July and August.

I still struggle to find any proper answer why they keep the date in mystery when the people know that it will be very soon?

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
na123 said:
All of you are making some good points, while also generalizing some issues which is not right and fair to some. However can we please go back to discussing only the main point of this topic which is the "effective date of bill c24". I have about 60 days left before I can apply and the closer we get the more stressful it is, because if I don't apply now then I will only be able to apply in the summer of 2017.
Don't worry it wont come into effect till June 1st at least.So you have enough time.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Man almost an year everybody is expressing just their personal guesses but practically there is no clue even which month it will be.

For now the only thing that looks like a guarantee is that it wont be before Mid-April.

After Mid-April nobody knows what will happen, because the notice from last weeks gazette might be the notice every affected person have been waiting. Basically it said that after the comments the regulations will be published in Part II of the gazette which is a bi-weekly issue. So in the next Part II the people might just see that it is implemented without any farther notices.

It is pretty safe to say that the cut off date and month will jump out from the gazette.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
the sad thing is seeing the government does not give a damn whether they are fair or not when taking decisions.

it is very sad for people who trusted the Canadian government,in this case the parliament,its fairness,and thoughtfulness.

all of the PRs who became landed immigrant after August 2013 will be affected if your predictions are true,if the bill fully becomes law this summ.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They want to make good impression among their supporters before the elections and the easiest diaspora to hit is the most vulnerable diaspora of all the immigrants.

If they wanted to change that law so badly they could have done that , long before the election year. Now they will use the immigrants to gain more votes at the federal elections.

Everything is just a dirty political game, nothing personal.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
It needs lot of changes.Entire citizenship process have to change.We need new residency calculator,new applications forms, new staffs etc.Its not so easy.All that needs time.So I don't think it will be that fast to implement.Its my opinion.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is the problem, we don't know at what stage is their work now.
If they will start all the changes soon then I don't see how it will be done before July/August.
But if they are almost done with the background work , they can implement it after the comment period which will end in the Middle of April.

We don't know the actual stage of the internal background work up in the present moment.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
It was said on record by Min. Alexander it will be June or later. If it was a lie, then too bad.

MUFC said:
That is the problem, we don't know at what stage is their work now.
If they will start all the changes soon then I don't see how it will be done before July/August.
But if they are almost done with the background work , they can implement it after the comment period which will end in the Middle of April.

We don't know the actual stage of the internal background work up in the present moment.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That Minister last year have said on official interview on CBC in February, that they expect the Bill to become a law at the end of 2014... few weeks after that we all saw the incredible rush from the conservatives to pass all the stages in a fast mode in order the bill to become a law before the summer. Conclusion Misinformation on official interview

Again on a official meeting with the idea of clarification of the intend to reside, all the time the same Minister was talking about the eligibility and nothing about clarification of the intend to reside. Conclusion Misinformation on official media meeting.

If you are referring about that old Unofficial video where he was saying that everyone who applies after June will be under the new law... well you can tell how serious we should take the words coming out of his mouth.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
That video was not a old video. Its from Jan of this year.

But again he can backtrack with no issues.

MUFC said:
That Minister last year have said on official interview on CBC in February, that they expect the Bill to become a law at the end of 2014... few weeks after that we all saw the incredible rush from the conservatives to pass all the stages in a fast mode in order the bill to become a law before the summer. Conclusion Misinformation on official interview

Again on a official meeting with the idea of clarification of the intend to reside, all the time the same Minister was talking about the eligibility and nothing about clarification of the intend to reside. Conclusion Misinformation on official media meeting.

If you are referring about that old Unofficial video where he was saying that everyone who applies after June will be under the new law... well you can tell how serious we should take the words coming out of his mouth.