Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Your language suggest otherwise though.

screech339 said:
I have no hatred for these families as you implied. I have a stay at home spouse myself. I am only merely pointing out that CIC would always put the onus on the applicant to prove they were here. I wouldn't be surprised if my spouse has gotten RQ despite filing taxes since my spouse came to Canada.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
As far as i know under taxation you CANNOT put your non-working spouse as your DEPENDENT.

mathlete said:
Housewives / homemakers will appear as dependents on someone else's income tax return. I mentioned this in a previous post. The suspicious people will be those with 0 income who are nobodies dependents. CRA rules dictate you can only claim someone as a dependent for the most part of they reside with you.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
And this is somehow people's fault (immigrant's fault)
I suspects a lot of immigrants who came to Canada under the point system came without a job lined up waiting for them. They thought they can come to Canada and find a job easy peasy. I wouldn't quit my job if I don't have a job lined up ready to go to, whether the job is in within Canada or International. If I were to quit my job in the hope of finding another job in another, I would be setting myself for a major disappointment if I can't find a job in time to pay the bills that I would have to resorts to labour jobs.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
Your language suggest otherwise though.
I am only telling you how CIC would view stay at home spouses with 0 income applying for citizenship.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
As far as i know under taxation you CANNOT put your non-working spouse as your DEPENDENT.
Line 303 - Spouse or common-law partner amount

You can claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income was less than $11,138. However, if you claimed the family caregiver amount for your spouse or common-law partner, his or her net income must be less than $13,196. Calculate your amount on line 303 of your Schedule 5, Amounts for Spouse or Common-Law Partner and Dependants.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/303/menu-eng.html

This is the same as claiming your spouse as your dependent.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Martin29 said:
If your home country don't allow dual citizenship then Canadians of convenience is nonsense.I am Indian citizen and I worked several years in Dubai before migration to Canada.My country was happy with me working abroad.We NRIs (Non resident Indians) don't have to pay tax.My country feels NRI people bring revenue into the country.

Once I take Canadian Citizenship I will loose my Indian citizenship.If I am not getting a good job in Canada I have to go to Dubai again.Then Canada should also see it as we bring revenue to this country.Not that we are using Canadians of convenience.

Even if I work in Dubai my home country will be Canada(not India).

If we have good jobs here why would we go abroad to work.Especially to a country with currency rate much lower than Canada?

I prefer going to Dubai because even though I get only $1000 in Dubai I will be doing a job that use my brain.In Canada what I was doing is lifting box (50 lbs )continuously.For doing that job you don't even have to go to school.I have 20 years education and I was lifting box for almost 2 years.

Canada need people for doing their labor job.In all countries there are white collar jobs and labor jobs.Educated people do white collar jobs and uneducated people do labour jobs.But in Canada 90% are highly skilled people migrated from other countries.So no much uneducated people here to do labor jobs.If all skilled people go to other countries for job who will do the labor job here?Those sitting in the office now?

That why they want all new citizens to stay in Canada(and do their labor job).

They need highly skilled new immigrants to do do labor jobs so that less qualified Canadians can work in office.

In my previous company all office staff is a particular race.All factory workers from other countries.Those sitting in Office are mostly dumb.People working in Factory are much smarter than office people but nobody will give them a chance.They work there entire life in factory.
The reason you would send money back to India is because you have family there. This is a very common situation in the 3rd world where bread winners work in foreign countries and send money back places with relatively low PPP (Purchasing Power Parity). An Indian passport cannot be a passport of convenience because India does not provide very good social services, it has few visa exceptions and it is not as politically or economically stable as the west.

If as a Canadian passport holder you go off and live in Dubai you are not likely to send money back to Canada unless you have family here. And even then why would you not take your family with you? Canada is an expensive place to live compared to most other places so leaving family behind and supporting them from a foreign nation is far more difficult because of PPP. Canada has little to gain from your work abroad and much to lose should you decide to come back and claim benefits (pension, medical or other)

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Claiming the amount is just one part of the story.

There is another form where you specifically mention the names of the people dependent on you. You cannot put your spouse name there.

So non-working spouse is your dependent only in implicit sense. You cannot put her name anywhere in the dependent list.

screech339 said:
Line 303 - Spouse or common-law partner amount

You can claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income was less than $11,138. However, if you claimed the family caregiver amount for your spouse or common-law partner, his or her net income must be less than $13,196. Calculate your amount on line 303 of your Schedule 5, Amounts for Spouse or Common-Law Partner and Dependants.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/303/menu-eng.html

This is the same as claiming your spouse as your dependent.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:

There is another form where you specifically mention the names of the people dependent on you. You cannot put your spouse name their.

So non-working spouse is your dependent only in implicit sense. You cannot put her name anywhere in the dependent list.
I never said that I can claim her as my dependent. That is what the spouse claim is for. That is pretty much the same as claiming spouse as dependent in a indirect way.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:
Well what is a Canadian of convenience? It's someone who is using his/her Canadian citizenship for purposes other than residing in Canada. I think the governments logic is that if someone is unhappy in Canada they want to spend as little time here as possible and they are in effect trying to increase the "cost" to that person of obtaining citizenship. Under the old rules you could apply after 3 years and leave the country, only to return for your test and oath (provided you have someone to collect your mail) and that would not be a problem.
How they are increasing the "cost" when in practice they will give away the citizenship faster... The processing time now takes years, but after the new rule comes it will be in a matter of months.

If they process the applications fast, then what is the practical purpose of Intend to Reside?

Actually now the people a paying much higher price when they have to wait so much time for the processing only.

Most of the Canadians of convenience are on the welfare system because they don't want to work labour jobs and killing themselves, so the more they stay the more the budget will be hurt.

Trust me I really don't see how this law will have positive impact on Canada and how they are increasing the value when in practice they will give away the passports faster?

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
CanadianCountry said:

There is another form where you specifically mention the names of the people dependent on you. You cannot put your spouse name there.

Er you name your spouse on your tax return and indicate your marital status. You could simply submit your marriage certificate to the CIC with your partners tax return if you wanted to.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
MUFC said:
How they are increasing the "cost" when in practice they will give away the citizenship faster... The processing time now takes years, but after the new rule comes it will be in a matter of months.

If they process the applications fast, then what is the practical purpose of Intend to Reside?

Actually now the people a paying much higher price when they have to wait so much time for the processing only.

Most of the Canadians of convenience are on the welfare system because they don't want to work labour jobs and killing themselves, so the more they stay the more the budget will be hurt.

Trust me I really don't see how this law will have positive impact on Canada and how they are increasing the value when in practice they will give away the passports faster?
They are increasing costs because that person would rather not be living in Canada. You are making them live here longer. If they do not have a high paying job or any job for that matter and are living on capital or depending on family it means residing in Canada for 4 years is harder than residing in Canada for 3 years. The old system meant you could leave after 3 years and just return to write your test / take your oath. The new system means you have stay for at least 4 years.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So now the Canadians can be happy that they will pay the bills of the Canadians of convenience, because now they have to stay in Canada physically.
If I am Canadian of convenience I would take this option with open arms, because its like living on someone else budget.

Canadians will pay their bills, but they will stay here paying the expenses of the Canadians of convenience... Canada is like a charity organization in that case.

I don't see how they increase the value of the Canadian citizenship.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
For me I had to do labor job in Canada for 3 years.Now I have to do it for 4 years.But that 1 more year is so hard.I am so burned out.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Martin29 said:
For me I had to do labor job in Canada for 3 years.Now I have to do it for 4 years.But that 1 more year is so hard.I am so burned out.
So if you intend to leave why are you here? Why not just go somewhere else and be happier?