+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:
So the obvious question is: What are you doing here? If your home country makes you so much happier why remain in Canada? Kind of irrational to be permanently residing someplace where you would rather be elsewhere don't you think?
Spending my currency here gives me more purchasing power hence I made enough savings to start my big project... I am here because I've business approach, nothing else is holding me here... if I need I can come whenever I want by using my passport which gives me 6 months per visit... absolutely enough time for me if someday I need to come back.

Practically I really don't see when exactly I will use the Canadian passport if I have one, but I found that recently. Before I thought that having that citizenship I would have extra benefits, but in practice I have already the same benefits... so I said to myself "Why would I duplicate something I already have?" and I took the decision not to apply.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
How do you think the govt wil stop the born Canadians from moving?

According to statistics, 52% of the Canadian diaspora is Canadian born. Thats comes to whopping 1.45 million (nearly 5% of total population) Canadian born people. They must be stopped.

mathlete said:
It wouldn't very politically correct to only target people from a specific country. Besides I have no doubt there are many South African Canadians who acquired their citizenship and then went straight back Cape Town hoping to return should the ANC decide to nationalize their condos.

pl840502

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
they can do that by....getting the economy going so that there are more jobs and more jobs that pays higher.....not like one account manager job on Linkedin with 500+ applicants! In the end you get some 70K+ people applying for 50k jobs and some other 70k people just thinks f*ck this sh*t, i'm leaving

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
pl840502 said:
they can do that by....getting the economy going so that there are more jobs and more jobs that pays higher.....not like one account manager job on Linkedin with 500+ applicants! In the end you get some 70K+ people applying for 50k jobs and some other 70k people just thinks f*ck this sh*t, i'm leaving
What you are saying doesn't make sense. Back to Lebanon it has an unemployment rate of 10% by contrast Canada's is only 6.6%. That would suggest it's easier to get a job in Canada than in Lebanon. South Africa's which was also mentioned has a 25% unemployment rate. Canada beats out most of the countries on the list of diaspora nations when it comes to employment.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
CanadianCountry said:
How do you think the govt wil stop the born Canadians from moving?

According to statistics, 52% of the Canadian diaspora is Canadian born. Thats comes to whopping 1.45 million (nearly 5% of total population) Canadian born people. They must be stopped.
The government will not nor should they stop people from moving. However they should take steps reduce the number of people who obtain citizenship and do not contribute to the Canadian economy. This should include the following:

• Only awarding citizenship to people who are actually residing in Canada based on real metrics (physical presents isn't one of them but could be considered part of the verification process) This could be easily verified by tax transcripts.
  • Disallowing duel citizenship. In countries where you are able to renounce you should be required to do so.
  • After becoming naturalized there should be a "cooling off period" whereby you must maintain PR residency requirements for a period of time say 5 to 10 years, in order to keep your citizenship. Only applies if you are a duel citizenship holder.
  • Children born to Canadian citizens abroad are not automatically citizens of Canada, unless the parents are also defined as residents of Canada for tax purposes. However they have the right to PR should they return to Canada before the age of majority.
  • Drawing on social security during a permanent residency or not paying taxes (as a household not individual) should disqualify you from citizenship if done during the 4 year qualification process for citizenship.

I've got no problem with exceptions such as people who are working in a foreign country for a Canadian multi-national. People who opt to pay a fee (say $10k / year) to maintain their residency status or people who pay into the economy / government enough to effectively buy their citizenship (this should costs millions). People who are retired having worked in Canada. Canadian students abroad etc.

pl840502

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:
What you are saying doesn't make sense. Back to Lebanon it has an unemployment rate of 10% by contrast Canada's is only 6.6%. That would suggest it's easier to get a job in Canada than in Lebanon. South Africa's which was also mentioned has a 25% unemployment rate. Canada beats out most of the countries on the list of diaspora nations when it comes to employment.
I'm not saying anything in general, just pointing out the observation around me. And also I meant more about higher paying jobs (even the higher paying jobs is not that highly paid anyway) VS education plus experience level. If you are looking for jobs lately you may observe that for a job you are totally qualified for, you can't get it because there are many more overqualified people with 10 more years of experience that are willing to compete for your job because they can't find a job at their level either. It feels like people had too much education but the government didn't stimulate enough jobs. Hence the "f*ck this sh*t, I'm leaving"

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm curious what are the real numbers...
How many people are leaving in the next months after they are already new Canadians?

How many naturalized Canadians are going back home without registering anywhere the Canadian passport when they travel back home?

I think this is how we going to see the huge chunk of Canadians who are leaving this country on a permanent basis.

The government knows these numbers but for obvious reasons they don't want to publish them officially.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
I'm curious what are the real numbers...
How many people are leaving in the next months after they are already new Canadians?

How many naturalized Canadians are going back home without registering anywhere the Canadian passport when they travel back home?

I think this is how we going to see the huge chunk of Canadians who are leaving this country on a permanent basis.

The government knows these numbers but for obvious reasons they don't want to publish them officially.
How would the government know if you enter your home country using your native passport and not your Canada Passport. They only know if you entered your home country using Canada Passport. The government does warn that if you use your native passport, don't expect much help from Canada Consular services in the country.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

Travelling as a dual citizen

While having dual (or multiple) citizenship is legal in Canada, it may not be legal in the country of your other nationality.
Should you choose to travel to your other country of nationality, you should be aware of local laws and regulations that may be imposed on you by that country as a result of your citizenship in that country. Some examples include mandatory military service and penalties for unpaid mandatory taxation. Some countries do not recognize dual nationality, which may restrict Canada's access to you if you become incarcerated. It is your responsibility to research the local laws of your other country of nationality before you travel there.

For more information on travelling with dual nationality to a specific country, please consult the country's page in our country travel advice or contact the appropriate foreign office in Canada.
Canadian citizens requiring more information can also call 613-944-6788 or email travel @ international.gc.ca.

Common note found under travel Entry/Exit Requirements under Country Travel Advisories:

Dual citizenship

The “Insert Country here” government considers any person born in “Country” of “Country” parents to be a “Country” citizen. This policy may limit the ability of Canadian officials to provide consular services. You should travel using your Canadian passport and present yourself as Canadian to foreign authorities at all times. See Travelling as a dual citizen for more information.

As far as I'm concerned, if you entered your native country using your native passport (non-Canadian Passport), you should lose Canadian privileges such as very limited access to Canadian consular services, no bailout help in event of war or disasters (should apply to everyone, including non-dual Canadians, since they made the personal choice themselves), no access to Canada Pension (should they retire), etc.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think as long as you pay your taxes based on your total income, the government has no business telling you where to live.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
asaif said:
I think as long as you pay your taxes based on your total income, the government has no business telling you where to live.
Agree so long as you entered country with Canada Passport, registered yourself as Canadian in foreign country, then the government has no business telling you where to live.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many people when they go back home prefer to hide their Canadian citizenship, and they are using their national passport to get in. The idea is that they want so stay away from the limitations and administrative hustle if they enter as Canadians in their homeland, hence the Canadian passport is not registered anywhere, but at the same time Canadian is living back home.

I agree that these people should be limited from consular help from Canada, since there is officially no Canadian registered , because they intentionally want to use only their native passports.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
@Mathlete,
You still didn't answer my question. As per you if a naturalized Canadian takes job abroad he is a criminal, but a born Canadian can. I agree govt should not be in the business of controlling people's life's and stop them from moving.

Why the onus is more on naturalized Canadian than born Canadians towards contributing towards Canadian economy. Aren't they equal under law and should have equal responsibilities. Let's not conveniently leave Canadian born from the equation as you have.

mathlete said:
The government will not nor should they stop people from moving. However they should take steps reduce the number of people who obtain citizenship and do not contribute to the Canadian economy. This should include the following:

• Only awarding citizenship to people who are actually residing in Canada based on real metrics (physical presents isn't one of them but could be considered part of the verification process) This could be easily verified by tax transcripts.
  • Disallowing duel citizenship. In countries where you are able to renounce you should be required to do so.
  • After becoming naturalized there should be a "cooling off period" whereby you must maintain PR residency requirements for a period of time say 5 to 10 years, in order to keep your citizenship. Only applies if you are a duel citizenship holder.
  • Children born to Canadian citizens abroad are not automatically citizens of Canada, unless the parents are also defined as residents of Canada for tax purposes. However they have the right to PR should they return to Canada before the age of majority.
  • Drawing on social security during a permanent residency or not paying taxes (as a household not individual) should disqualify you from citizenship if done during the 4 year qualification process for citizenship.

I've got no problem with exceptions such as people who are working in a foreign country for a Canadian multi-national. People who opt to pay a fee (say $10k / year) to maintain their residency status or people who pay into the economy / government enough to effectively buy their citizenship (this should costs millions). People who are retired having worked in Canada. Canadian students abroad etc.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
To people who say, why enter on their home country passport, I say because if a person enters on Canadian passport he might get only few months to stay. What if the person wants to stay for more time?

It's not about hiding anything it seems.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
CanadianCountry said:
Why the onus is more on naturalized Canadian than born Canadians towards contributing towards Canadian economy? Aren't they equal under law and should have equal responsibilities ?
Plus one for you... very good questions... This negative perception of the responsibilities of naturalized Canadians has been promoted by the Conservative Government and some Canadians, including citizenship officers and buying into this unlawful belief

Not sure why some believe and are still spreading this belief...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
To people who say, why enter on their home country passport, I say because if a person enters on Canadian passport he might get only few months to stay. What if the person wants to stay for more time?

It's not about hiding anything it seems.
I have no issues with dual Canadians using their native passports to enter their country just I expect them to be denied Canadian consular services or Canadian help or benefits if trouble comes their way. If the person wants to stay longer under a Canadian national, they can apply for permits or extension in their home country and still get the Canadian privileges associated with it.