Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
@PMM,
What does it matter if its 68 years after the first citizenship act?

Thanks.

PMM said:
Hi

1. Probably, if the 4 years in 6 comes into effect 01/July/15 (68 years after the first citizenship Act) you would not be eligible to apply until Dec/2017 if you hadn't left during the previous 4 years.

yosoliman

Mar 9, 2015
Hi
I landed on June 30,2012. I am living and working since then. I traveled outside Canada for a couple of vacations with a total of 7 weeks in the last 3 years. let's assume that the new law will be effective some time in July 2015. Do you think I can submit my application on June 30, 2015? or better wait to end of August 2015 (when I finish my 3 years physical presence) and apply but the risk here is that the new law might be effective and I have to wait till August 2016. which do you think a better option?

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
yosoliman said:
Hi
I landed on June 30,2012. I am living and working since then. I traveled outside Canada for a couple of vacations with a total of 7 weeks in the last 3 years. let's assume that the new law will be effective some time in July 2015. Do you think I can submit my application on June 30, 2015? or better wait to end of August 2015 (when I finish my 3 years physical presence) and apply but the risk here is that the new law might be effective and I have to wait till August 2016. which do you think a better option?
I have the same question. Do judges still approve applications that have 1095 basic residence days but are short of a few weeks of physical residence due to small vacation or employment related trips abroad ?

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yosoliman said:
Hi

you have to HAVE 1095 days to be eligible to apply, else you will receive your papers back. Some cases they will be able to apply but during the test and interview, they had been caught ;D

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
yosoliman said:
Hi
Short answer, most likely answer:

August 2016 plus any further time outside Canada will be the soonest you will qualify for citizenship.

(Longer) answer with explanation:

Technically, under the currently applicable residency requirements, you will meet the basic residency threshold and be eligible to apply for citizenship as of July 2, 2015. However, there is a distinction in the currently applicable residency requirements between being eligible to apply versus being qualified for citizenship. To be granted citizenship you must be qualified. Among the other qualifying requirements, you must establish you were resident-in-Canada for three years, and in the absence of reasons for applying an exception (which would justify application of a qualitative test for residency) the currently applied test is 1095 days of actual presence in Canada.

While there is perhaps still a window of opportunity for some PRs to apply and succeed based on meeting the residency requirement applying a qualitative test, these would be unusual cases, truly exceptions, almost certainly requiring a compelling showing of having centralized their life in Canada beyond just barely meeting the basic residency threshold.

In other words, it is safe to say you will not meet the current residency requirements until August at the earliest, and realistically not until the end of August.

While we do not know, as yet, what the coming into force date will be for the revised residency requirements, the odds are very, very high they will be in force as of August 1, 2015 or before. The odds are thus very, very high you will not qualify this year and need to wait until you have been present in Canada 1460 days within 6 years.

Moreover, again even though we do not know with confidence when the coming into force date will be, the odds are high that they will be in force by July 1st, and while that date is just one more guess among many, it is considered by many to be the best guess, but more significantly it is the latest in time among most guesses. That is, again, it is very likely the latest the revised requirements will take effect is July 1st.

If the revised residency provisions are in force July 1 or before, you will not meet the basic residency threshold in time to apply.

In particular, if the revised provisions come into force as of July 1, 2015, or before, the currently applicable residency requirements will not apply for you.

If the revised residency requirement is in force as of July 1 or before:

Technically, under the currently applicable residency requirements, you will meet the basic residency threshold and be eligible to apply for citizenship on July 2, 2015. Reminder: the applicant must meet the qualifications as of the day BEFORE making the application. Thus, you will not even be eligible to apply until July.

Even if you met the qualifications as of June 30, you would not be eligible to apply until the next day, July 1, 2015.

Make no mistake, there is no authority to grant citizenship for an applicant who falls only one day short of the basic residency requirement. (Well, there is authority for a rarely applied, very narrow discretionary grant of citizenship, which really is not available in any practical sense.) Thus, even if you made a very powerful, compelling case for deserving citizenship, one day short of the basic residency requirement will still, for certain, fail.

MasterGeek said:
I have the same question. Do judges still approve applications that have 1095 basic residence days but are short of a few weeks of physical residence due to small vacation or employment related trips abroad ?
Maybe. Not usually. Not likely with very narrow exceptions.

The general consensus these days is probably either:
-- no, 1095 days APP is the minimum
-- or, as I indicated, perhaps sometimes but unusually so, only for exceptions

BUT we really do not know.

Moreover, we do not know how CIC is going to handle what will almost certainly be a flood of applications based on basic residency made in the month or two prior to when the revised residency requirements come into force. It seems very unlikely that CIC or CJs will be more liberal with these applicants than they have been in the last couple years. The question is whether or not the window of opportunity for the application of a qualitative residency test will be reduced dramatically or virtually closed altogether.

Again, some believe that the window is already virtually closed altogether. I doubt that. But I do not doubt that the extent there is an open window, that opening is very narrow, very, very narrow. (Not an opening for what has been described as applying-too-soon due to a shortfall of just a few days, given some short holidays abroad.)

It needs to be understood that even though the new requirements will not directly apply to any application made prior to the coming into force date for the new requirements, that even under the current law some Federal Court justices have ruled that the correct test of residency is the actual presence test, and nearly all Federal Court justices (who have ruled on residency cases, with only Justice Barnes and one other whose name I do not recall) acknowledge that CJs can choose to apply the physical presence test without any consideration for the applicability of a qualitative test. The actual presence test is the primary and by far most often applied test. And now Parliament has spoken, and emphatically stated (by adopting the revised residency provisions) that qualifying for citizenship should be based on actual presence in Canada.

It also needs to be understood, that even if a qualitative test is applied, the applicant must establish having been resident-in-Canada three full years. Barely meeting the basic residency threshold will not suffice.

Thus, even if some applicants might still be approved and granted citizenship despite a shortfall from 1095 days APP, and even though we do not really know how many shortfall applicants are still being approved and granted citizenship these days, the odds are very high against shortfall applicants, with perhaps a very small number of exceptions in very unusual circumstances.

hoping_canadian said:
you have to HAVE 1095 days to be eligible to apply, else you will receive your papers back. Some cases they will be able to apply but during the test and interview, they had been caught ;D
As noted above, there is a distinction in the currently applicable provisions between being eligible to apply and being qualified for a grant of citizenship. In terms of the residency requirement, basic residency (three years since landing, regardless of absences from Canada) makes a PR eligible. Even if such an applicant was absent from Canada for hundreds of days, having only 800 or 900 days of actual presence in Canada, CIC cannot deny citizenship let alone just send the papers back, but must refer the case to a Citizenship Judge to decide whether the applicant met the residency requirement. And technically the CJ can still apply a qualitative test for a shortfall applicant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yosoliman said:
Hi
Wait until you have the requirement physical presence - even if that means waiting until 2016.

morteza2062

Mar 9, 2015
Dear friends,

dpenabill mainly talked about basic residence requirement. What if someone has some days short of physical presence and already accumulated 1300 of basic residence.
My wife first came to Canada in August 2010 but landed as a PR on June 17th 2012 and considering her trips abroad she will accumulate the 1095 days of "physical presence" on June 22nd 2015 but some rumors say that the effective date would bu June 19th 2015, so she would be 4 days short and she will accumulate 1093 days by June 19th 2015.

I have two options I guess.

The first one would be waiting until June 22nd 2015 for her to be eligible to apply for citizenship and just hope that the law doesn't come into effect any sooner and avoid going to a Judge and probably a citizenship questionnaire (which is a real pain in the B).

The second option is applying a few days before June 19th to make sure she has applied in case the law comes into effect on June 19th.

Some people even say she can probably even do both. meaning she can apply before June 19th knowing that she is a few days short and make a case that she deserves citizenship and ask for those few days to be granted to her and then if the law doesn't come into effect on June 19th she can the apply again on June 22nd with enough physical presence day but I guess she can't do that since you can not have more than 1 citizenship application. :(

Could you please shed some light on this problem and let me know which one is the more applicable option to go for? :-\

Thanks

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
scylla said:
Wait until you have the requirement physical presence - even if that means waiting until 2016.
What if it means waiting TWO more years, since I accumulated pre-PR days ? Would it justify applying with 1095 basic days but lacking 8-9 weeks physical presendays under the old law ?

morteza2062 said:
Dear friends,

dpenabill mainly talked about basic residence requirement. What if someone has some days short of physical presence and already accumulated 1300 of basic residence.
My wife first came to Canada in August 2010 but landed as a PR on June 17th 2012 and considering her trips abroad she will accumulate the 1095 days of "physical presence" on June 22nd 2015 but some rumors say that the effective date would bu June 19th 2015, so she would be 4 days short and she will accumulate 1093 days by June 19th 2015.

The first one would be waiting until June 22nd 2015 for her to be eligible to apply for citizenship and just hope that the law doesn't come into effect any sooner and avoid going to a Judge and probably a citizenship questionnaire (which is a real pain in the B).

The second option is applying a few days before June 19th to make sure she has applied in case the law comes into effect on June 19th.

Some people even say she can probably even do both. meaning she can apply before June 19th knowing that she is a few days short and make a case that she deserves citizenship and ask for those few days to be granted to her and then if the law doesn't come into effect on June 19th she can the apply again on June 22nd with enough physical presence day but I guess she can't do that since you can not have more than 1 citizenship application. :(

Could you please shed some light on this problem and let me know which one is the more applicable option to go for? :-\

Thanks
She could withdraw the first application and apply again if she accumulates enough physical residence days

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
Moreover, we do not know how CIC is going to handle what will almost certainly be a flood of applications based on basic residency made in the month or two prior to when the revised residency requirements come into force. It seems very unlikely that CIC or CJs will be more liberal with these applicants than they have been in the last couple years. The question is whether or not the window of opportunity for the application of a qualitative residency test will be reduced dramatically or virtually closed altogether.

Again, some believe that the window is already virtually closed altogether. I doubt that. But I do not doubt that the extent there is an open window, that opening is very narrow, very, very narrow. (Not an opening for what has been described as applying-too-soon due to a shortfall of just a few days, given some short holidays abroad.)

It needs to be understood that even though the new requirements will not directly apply to any application made prior to the coming into force date for the new requirements, that even under the current law some Federal Court justices have ruled that the correct test of residency is the actual presence test, and nearly all Federal Court justices (who have ruled on residency cases, with only Justice Barnes and one other whose name I do not recall) acknowledge that CJs can choose to apply the physical presence test without any consideration for the applicability of a qualitative test. The actual presence test is the primary and by far most often applied test. And now Parliament has spoken, and emphatically stated (by adopting the revised residency provisions) that qualifying for citizenship should be based on actual presence in Canada.

It also needs to be understood, that even if a qualitative test is applied, the applicant must establish having been resident-in-Canada three full years. Barely meeting the basic residency threshold will not suffice.
Parliament (well, the Conservative Government) has telegraphed its intentions in the summary to Bill C-24:

Amendments to the eligibility requirements include
(a) clarifying the meaning of being resident in Canada
I think at some point they will take an even harder stance, and argue that the Citizenship Act as it currently is already requires actual physical presence. The argument being that the recent amendments do not change the definition of "residence" but are merely clarifying it. Never mind that the confusion being addressed had persisted for decades, and one could ask why the hell they didn't do that back when the jurisprudence split into conflicting schools of thought.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Shortfall applications revisited Part I:

Mostly: do not do it. That said . . .

(breaking my observations into two posts, this is the first)

morteza2062 said:
Dear friends,

Thanks
MasterGeek said:
What if it means waiting TWO more years, since I accumulated pre-PR days ? Would it justify applying with 1095 basic days but lacking 8-9 weeks physical presendays under the old law ?

. . . .

She could withdraw the first application and apply again if she accumulates enough physical residence days
Because technically a shortfall application can still legally succeed, there is indeed an open question about applying with a shortfall.

To be clear, however, the advice most participants here will offer, and most those who are otherwise fairly well informed will offer, is to wait, to wait until having at least, the very least, 1095 days of actual physical presence.

And that is almost certainly the best advice.

I personally tend to avoid giving advice and but rather attempt to offer information which will (I hope) help individuals best make their own decisions.

So, relative to this particular issue, my observations may tend to understate the high hurdles facing a shortfall application. My comments may leave some with the impression the window is open wider than it really is.

Overall, though, the shorfall application is most likely, by a substantial margin, going to fail, to be denied.

There are likely to be exceptions. At the least, exceptions are possible.

But this is not like betting on a roulette wheel. Not like buying a lottery ticket. Who is among the exceptions is not a matter of chance or probabilities (although a fair amount of luck may be necessary). The exceptions are likely to be based on unusual circumstances of a compelling nature sufficient to persuade a Citizenship Judge to apply a qualitative test in the first place.

It may be a matter of luck in whether the Citizenship Judge who decides the case is even the least bit open to applying a qualitative test. Many will not be. Perhaps most will not be. If the CJ making the decision is not at all open to applying a qualitative test (and most Federal Court justices will uphold this approach by a CJ), there is no chance, no matter what, of a shortfall application being approved.

Even if a CJ who is open to applying a qualitative test is the one deciding the case, however, in order to persuade the CJ to actually apply a qualitative test, the applicant's circumstances will need to be compelling. The applicant will need to be persuasive, just to get the CJ to consider applying a qualitative test, and even more so in getting the CJ to decide that the residency requirement is met.

Even then, if the CJ fails to clearly base approval on sufficient grounds for finding residency despite the shortfall, CIC appears likely to appeal the CJ's decision. (and while some may find their case before a sympathetic justice in the Federal Court, others will find their case being decided by Justice Rennie or Justice Zinn, for example, and that means it is likely to be a tough case)

bambino said:
Parliament (well, the Conservative Government) has telegraphed its intentions in the summary to Bill C-24:

"Amendments to the eligibility requirements include
(a) clarifying the meaning of being resident in Canada"
The summary, however, is in regards to the law adopted by Bill C-24, and thus clearly indicates the intent to define residency based on actual presence, and on four years minimum presence, and on more than a half-year presence for at least four calendar years. That has nothing to do with what was intended over three decades ago when the current law was adopted, which has been interpreted (in literally hundreds of Federal Court decisions) to allow for residency tests other than physical presence.

Even as to what the revised residency definition is, however, the summary is not part of the law adopted. The summary no more telegraphs the intent of the law than what the specific provisions themselves provide. Only if the language in a provision is ambiguous will other sources (such as the summary, content of debates in Parliament, or such) be at all relevant in interpreting the provisions themselves.

There are occasions in which legislation is adopted which is specifically intended to clarify existing (previously adopted) law. That would not be indicated in the summary, but would be indicated (implicitly if not explicitly) in the text of the adopted law.

That is not indicated in the text of Bill C-24, and moreover section 31.(1) (of Bill C-24) explicitly states that applications made before the date the revised section 5.(1) (of the Citizenship Act) comes into force, are to "be dealt with and disposed of" in accordance with the [in effect current provisions].

Thus, relative to residency, what is stated in Bill C-24 does not, cannot be directly applied to a grant citizenship application.

And it has not been. There have been numerous Federal Court decisions regarding the residency requirement for citizenship since Bill C-24 received Royal Assent, including some decisions in which Bill C-24 has been referred to, and even one which has applied provisions in Bill C-24 which came into force last August, with no citation of Bill C-24 relative to or in any way clarifying what tests a CJ may apply in assessing residency, these cases all (to the extent the appropriate test for residency is addressed) affirming that a Citizenship Judge can apply a qualitative test.

All of which, however, falls within the scope of what I said above, that while this information is correct (that a qualitative test may still be legally applied), it should not be taken to encourage making a shortfall application.

bambino said:
I think at some point they will take an even harder stance, and argue that the Citizenship Act as it currently is already requires actual physical presence. The argument being that the recent amendments do not change the definition of "residence" but are merely clarifying it. Never mind that the confusion being addressed had persisted for decades, and one could ask why the hell they didn't do that back when the jurisprudence split into conflicting schools of thought.
Of course the point I was making is in the same vein as your observations, that the extent to which a shortfall application might be approved is almost certainly diminished given the adoption of Bill C-24.

That said, no, there is no basis to argue that the "recent amendments do not change the definition of "residence" but are merely clarifying it." In fact they do change the definition, in multiple respects. The big one is that which affects prospective applicants like nadeem55, such that presence in Canada on temporary status is no longer defined as residence in Canada for purposes of qualifying for grant citizenship.

I smiled to read "one could ask why the hell they didn't do that back when the jurisprudence split into conflicting schools of thought." Many did ask, including numerous Federal Court justices, repeatedly, often.

It warrants noting that at least a few Federal Court justices already argue that "the Citizenship Act as it currently is already requires actual physical presence." This includes Justice Rennie and Justice Snider, with some others leaning this way. But even Justice Rennie and Justice Snider, last of their decisions that I have seen, still acknowledge that the current law (given the long-standing interpretations of section 5(1) of the Citizenship Act) allows Citizenship Judges to apply a qualitative test. (And yes, this inherently embraces a contradiction. But so it is.)

CIC itself does not (so far as I have seen, including in its arguments to the Federal Court so far as these are reported in the published decisions), arguing rather that the primary test is the actual physical presence test and that a qualitative test should only apply in unusual circumstances constituting justification for the exercise of discretion as an exception.

And, more than that, CIC still informs prospective applicants that a shortfall application merely requires the approval of a Citizenship Judge to succeed, barely hinting of the hurdles such an application faces, not at all hinting that CIC is likely, itself, to oppose the grant of citizenship.

Which leads to further comments . . . to be continued in a second post about the viability of shortfall applications.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Part II:

There is bound to be significant repetition in this post. Sorry.

The problem is the extent to which this issue, about shortfall applications, is going to loom larger and larger as the date when the revised provisions take effect approaches. I could simply join the chorus who emphatically say just don't do it, don't make a shortfall application. But because it continues to be a legally possible avenue, I don't think the simple declarative chorus of don't do it is going to persuade scores of prospective applicants. Perhaps more fully explaining why they shouldn't will not persuade them to save their money, and time, and the resources of CIC as well, but I offer these observations in the hope that more among these prospective applicants will make a better, more informed decision . . . leading, of course, to fewer wasting their time and money.

For clarifcation, shortfall applications revisited Part II:

(with a sidenote regarding my previous reference to Justice Barnes and shortfall jurisprudence)

Perhaps it would be best, as many others do, to stick to the basic, most practical advice: do not make a shortfall application. Do not apply until the actual physical presence test (1095 days APP) is met.

To be clear, however, it is still legally possible to qualify for citizenship even though there is a shortfall (less than 1095 days) in actual physical presence. That noted, most indications are that successful shortfall applications are few, at most the exception.

Because it is still legally possible, however, and particularly so given the less-than-informative way CIC explains how the residency requirement is assessed, in the next few months there are bound to be scores of applications made based on a shortfall in anticipation of being cutoff, and having to wait another year or more, by the impending implementation of the revised residency requirements prescribed in Bill C-24.

Those who meet the basic residency threshold will be eligible, but it is likely the majority will eventually be denied, CIC and a CJ determining they are NOT qualified due to a shortfall in days APP (actually physically present).

We really do not know to what extent some of these applicants will be successful and be granted citizenship.

There are three legal tests for assessing residency. One of these is the APP test, pursuant to which 1095 days APP within the preceding four years meets the citizenship residency requirement.

A Citizenship Judge may still apply, however, one of the other two qualitative tests, pursuant to which an applicant who meets the basic residency threshold but falls short of meeting the 1095 days APP test, may be approved and granted citizenship. While these two qualitative tests have been stated in various ways, to meet the residency requirement in practical terms it must be established that the PR centralized his life in Canada for at least three years since initially establishing an actual residence in Canada (and within the four relevant years of course).

That's the minimum. That is, however, not going to be enough to persuade a CJ to apply a qualitative test. What it will take to persuade a CJ to apply a qualitative test is not at all easily said. It may be nearly if not practically impossible. It is most likely a practical impossibility in front of some or perhaps most CJs, those who have been persuaded by CIC to apply the strict APP test across-the-board. Which the law, for the most part, currently allows.

Which brings up the sidenote:

The reference to Justice Barnes in my previous post was garbled. A few years ago Justice Barnes ruled, in a couple decisions, that in some circumstances a Citizenship Judge must consider the applicability of a qualitative test and explain the decision to apply the physical presence test if a qualitative test is not applied. I am aware of one other Federal Court judge (whose name I do not recall at the moment) who has ruled similarly. Those decisions are not binding in other cases, and indeed most other Federal Court justices have ruled to the contrary, that a CJ is unfettered in regards to choosing which residency test to apply, with some (like Justice Rennie and Justice Snider, with a couple others leaning similarly in this direction) asserting that the correct test (even under the current statute) is the actual physical presence for a minimum 1095 days test. (None of these decisions are binding in other cases, although all these decisions, including those by Justice Barnes, reflect the range of how the current law is or can be applied.) And there have been other approaches proffered by other Federal Court justices, with Justice Locke introducing yet another wrinkle recently.

The morass of incongruous, oft times inconsistent, and sometimes outright conflicting jurisprudence, made the viability of shortfall applications totally unpredictable. This is one of the problems which Bill C-24 finally puts to rest.

Because of Bill C-24, all of this (shortfall issues) will soon be mere history.

And, for practical purposes, this is largely already history in the sense that it is clear that CIC pushes for the strict actual presence test, that most CJs either apply the actual presence test across-the-board or nearly so, and that at most the number of shortfall applications being approved is small, and only in unusual circumstances.

(Lawyers make their living in the realm of exceptions. No need for a lawyer if the answer to a legal question is settled and clear. Similarly, recourse to the Courts for review is hardly necessary in a clearcut case.)

I go into this level of detail because there are undoubtedly scores, perhaps many thousands of PRs, whose situation is similar to that of yosoliman, or nadeem55, among many others, who in the next few months will be weighing whether or not to submit a shortfall application.

Just as scylla suggests, and hoping_canadian states, there are many who think a shortfall (less than 1095 days APP) will necessarily fail. This may be practically true, but it is not legally necessarily so.

The advice to wait, to not apply unless and until the APP test is met, is probably the best advice to give those contemplating making a shortfall application.

But that is not the advice CIC is giving. For the thousands of PRs who go to CIC for their information without input from settlement centres, forums like this, or lawyers, CIC fails to clearly indicate the problems a shortfall case is likely to incur.

In fact, CIC's statements about meeting the residency requirement continue to be, at best, an understatement:

To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application.

(and) absences from Canada may have an impact on your residence. Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence.

(from CIC's What is the residence requirement? information)

This is indeed the law. That is, the current law is that a PR can meet the residency requirement for citizenship as determined by one of three tests, two based on qualitative criteria, one based on actual presence for 1095 days. A Citizenship Judge chooses which test to apply. Most Federal Court justices have ruled (where the question has arose) that applicants do not need to be informed which test is being applied, but Justice Locke recently ruled otherwise.

So, there is no doubt, it is still legally possible for applicants to qualify for citizenship even though there is a shortfall in actual physical presence.

That is, for applications made before the revised residency provisions take effect, meeting the basic residency threshold suffices to be eligible for citizenship, and it is still legally possible to qualify for citizenship even though there is a shortfall (less than 1095 days) in actual physical presence.

And, CIC still fails to adequately inform prospective applicants that shortfall applications are likely to be denied.

And this year, with the new law looming, with the prospect of having to wait at least another year to apply (and for most shortfall applicants it will necessarily be another full year plus the extent of their current shortall), and CIC merely advising such prospective applicants that it is up to a Citizenship Judge to decide, there are bound to be many, if not thousands of shortfall applications made in the coming months, the majority of which are probably destined to be denied two years or so from now.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will be interesting how many shortfall applications have actually been granted with citizenship, especially after the changes made back in 1st of August.
I don't think that this information will be publically available, because it will show how really unlikely is a shortfall application to be successful , especially after 1st of August 2014.
Instead CIC will be more then happy to keep on receiving money for free, given from the shortfall applicants.

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
MasterGeek said:

Best possible scenario:
- You submit in June 2015
- September - December 2015 they send you RQ (guaranteed for shortfall cases)
- June 2016 they process your RQ and tell you wait for CJ
- June 2017 you are referred to judge
- Judge magically approves your application
- November - December 2017 you get citizenship

The risk is clear, once the shortfall application reaches CIC, your next application will be non-routine.
And this best possible scenario is very unlikely. At the very least, we know CJs will have large number of last moment cases like yours to look at next year. If Harper loses the election, may be CIC will stop wasting taxpayer money by going to Federal Court, but may be they won't. If they don't, then your application will take even longer.

Do you still think it is worth it to take a chance?

My advice: move to Mississauga or some other fast processing office if not already there, find a stable job, avoid leaving the country for the next two years.