20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
waqas11 said:
So after we become PR, do we have to wait for 4 years or 6 years before we can apply for the citizenship?
Four years after you become PR, however you still need to report your residency for last 6 years at time of application.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Regarding minimum time from landing to qualification pursuant to the revised residency requirement (to take effect some time this year):

waqas11 said:
So after we become PR, do we have to wait for 4 years or 6 years before we can apply for the citizenship?
The straight, simple answer has been posted:

screech339 said:
Four years after you become PR, however you still need to report your residency for last 6 years at time of application.
But that has been similarly posted before, and was the gist of the post just above by scylla as well.

Lest this become another back-and-forth as if a matter of opinion question, which it should not be (the answer is quite certain), first a clarification and then a more thorough explanation:

The clarification:

As stated in the posts above, the answer to "we have to wait for ?" is "Four years after you become PR . . ." The clarification is that this means 1460 days of actual presence in Canada.

(Note: under current law a PR is eligible to apply three years after landing even if the PR traveled outside Canada -- odds are not good for an applicant with less than 1095 days actual presence, but the applicant is eligible and a CJ can apply a residency test that will result in citizenship despite the absences.)

A further clarification is that there are additional residency requirements the qualified applicant must satisfy to obtain citizenship:

-- in effect the applicant must continue to reside in Canada while the application is being processed, with an intent to continue residing in Canada if granted citizenship

-- there is also the 4X183/year presence in Canada requirement (the source of exchange above leading to the "is it four or six years" query)

Still, the short answer is that a PR who, following the date of landing, spends four consecutive years (no absences) physically present in Canada, meets both the 1460 days total and 4X183/year requirements.

There appears to be some lingering question, if not doubt, concerning the latter, that the 4X183/year requirement can be met in just four years.

Longer explanation to clarify how the 4X183/year requirement works:

1460 consecutive days actual presence meets the residency requirement (assuming tax law compliance and required intent), but of course following that the application must be made and the process completed, to the point of taking the oath (and generally, given the intent element, the PR will need to continue residing in Canada while the application is in process). That will take from five to twenty months more (sometimes possibly even longer).

Given that the post by anon123 was in response to and quoted the post by Martin29, I understood the exchange about how long it takes before one can become a citizen to be about qualifying for a passport, as in qualifying for citizenship, not necessarily having a Canadian passport in hand, in just four years time, in contrast to the suggestion it will take closer to six years, which was suggested in the Martin29 post.

And in that regard anon123 got it right, was accurate, consistent with what was posted by scylla and also by screech339; that is:

1460 consecutive days actual presence will meet both elements of the revised residency requirement.

For context, the post by Martin29:

Martin29 said:
First of all you have live in Canada for at least 1,460.So you can apply only after 1460 days physical presence.

(i) been physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of his or her application,

(ii) been physically present in Canada for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the
six years immediately before the date of his or her application

At first I too thought its 183 days each year. But it not 183 days each year. Later I understood its 183 days during each of four calender years. I felt happy its not so difficult. But there is a catch.

As far as I understood now we can apply for citizenship only around 6 years. Not immediately after 4 years stay in Canada.Because if you apply immediately after 4 years then the first year of last 6 year wont satisfy the (ii)condition. It will be partially in 4 calender years and need 183 days to satisfy the (ii) condition.

They used the word partially with that intension I guess. Otherwise its meaning less.

It will take almost 6 years permanent residence to apply for citizenship if this new law comes into effect.

May be I am wrong.
The simplest arithmetic is indeed for the PR who is actually present in Canada for four consecutive years, 1460 consecutive days. Regardless of which day in the calendar year that begins, four years plus a day later the PR has met both the 1460 day requirement and the 183 days in each of four calendar years partially or fully within the previous six years.

For PR landing prior to July 2 in a given year:

For the applicant who lands and begins this calculation prior to July 2nd in a given year, that year will count toward the 4x183/year, since July 2 through December 31 adds up to 183 days. This applicant will meet the 4X183/year on July 2nd in the third year after landing, which could be up to nearly a year before meeting the full 1460 requirement.

Pre-July 2nd landing example: PR who landed June 15, 2012 and does not travel outside Canada will meet the 4X183/year on July 2, 2015, having been present 183/year for 2012, 2013, 2014, and as of July 2, 2015. But this applicant will not meet the minimum 1460 day requirement until June 16, 2016 (four years plus a day after landing).

For PR landing after July 1 in a given year:

While the year of landing will not count toward the 4X183/year requirement if a PR lands July 2nd or later in a given year, as of the fourth year anniversary (1460 days after landing), that PR meets both requirements (assuming no travel abroad at all).

Example for July 2nd or later in the year landing: PR who landed July 25, 2012 will meet the 1460 day requirement as of July 26, 2016, and in the meantime would have met the 183/year requirement for 2013, 2014, 2015, and as of July 2, 2016.

Meeting the 1460 days presence requirement but not 4X183/year:

The core of the new residency requirement is the 1460 days of actual presence. The vast majority of PRs who meet that requirement will also meet the 4x183/year requirement. There are some arithmetically possible examples to the contrary, but those involve multiple years of extended absence (well beyond mere holidays or brief business travel).

Example for meeting 1460 day requirement but not the 4X183/year requirement:

If an applicant landed January 3, 2012 and remains in Canada without an absence until June 28th, 2015, but then leaves and does not return until July 2nd or later in 2016 -- say there is a terminally ill parent in home country, or the PR needs to spend a year studying in a graduate program only available in the U.S. (say all seats are taken in Canadian university classes for same program) or some other career opportunity requiring a year abroad is too good to pass up. If this applicant returns to Canada July 3rd, 2016, and stays in Canada, he will meet the 1460 day requirement in January 2017 but still have to wait until having spent at least 183 days in 2017 before qualifying, which would be in July 2017 at the earliest.

This applicant would meet the 183/year requirement in 2012, 2013, 2014, but not 2015 or 2016, so would have to wait until meeting it in the year 2017 to qualify, to have 4X183/year (calendar year) in Canada.

In this example, all this individual needed to do was to delay leaving in the summer of 2015 until July 2nd or later, then he would meet the 183/year for 2015 as well. Then, upon returning to Canada, as soon as the 1460 days in Canada requirement was met, he would qualify.

In contrast, if this individual left Canada June 28th, 2015, returned in 2016 after July 1st, but then also needed to be abroad for six months or more in 2017, it would be July 2018 at the soonest before this PR would qualify for citizenship, even though well above 1460 days actual presence before then.

These examples are intended to be illustrative. There are a great many various possibilities, permutations. Again, for the vast majority, once the PR has spent 1460 days in Canada, the 4X183/year requirement will also be met (or will be soon).

Purpose of the 4X183/year requirement:

While the 4X183/year requirement may have a direct impact on a small number of PRs who have extensive absences, it seems obvious to me that this requirement is mostly, if not specifically, intended to make sure qualified applicants have at least four years during which they meet the CRA definition of being a resident in Canada, thus four years in which filing a resident tax return is required. This is probably a lot more about documenting sources of income than it is about paying Canadian taxes, the government interested in the extent to which the applicant continues to have ties abroad (like employment) which might indicate either more absences than those reported or the lack of intent to continue residing in Canada.

waqas11

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4162, 2133
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
05-Mar-2014
Med's Request
17-Feb-2015
Med's Done....
19-Feb-2015
Passport Req..
13-Apr-2015
LANDED..........
02-May-2015
screech339 said:
Thanks man +1.

jassi_cool1980

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2011
guleph on
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
8 bands
File Transfer...
march 2010
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
march 2011
LANDED..........
9'th of june 2011
how to count your days ??????????????????

for example : suppose i left Canada on 6th June and came back on 7th July ,

would 6th of June will be counted as absent day, and

similarly would 7th of July will counted as absent day or presence day.

in terms of counting towards physical present required day.

thx

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jassi_cool1980 said:
how to count your days ??????????????????

for example : suppose i left Canada on 6th June and came back on 7th July ,

would 6th of June will be counted as absent day, and

similarly would 7th of July will counted as absent day or presence day.

in terms of counting towards physical present required day.

thx
You can count either the day you left or the day you returned as a presence day (but not both).

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
OhCanadiana said:
You can count either the day you left or the day you returned as a presence day (but not both).
Hmm... I thought any partial day you spend in Canada counts as a whole day. So if you leave 9AM on the 6th and come back 9PM on the 7th, you can count both days in Canada...

Experts correct me if I'm wrong here.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ZingyDNA said:
Hmm... I thought any partial day you spend in Canada counts as a whole day. So if you leave 9AM on the 6th and come back 9PM on the 7th, you can count both days in Canada...

You can't claim two partial days as whole days. You can only claim same day if you leave and come back in the same day. Once midnight ticked, you left Canada for a day no matter how long you been out of Canada 1 hour or 23 hours. You can only claim the one day, I think the day you entered Canada.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZingyDNA said:

You may be thinking of how to count days for PR qualification (renewal) purposes. For citizenship you count either the day you left or the day you came back. Day trips don't count as absences.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I see. There is a difference between PR renewal and citizenship application. Thanks a lot guys.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur in the responses above.

Simple but accurate way to count days:

For citizenship, count the number of midnights spent in Canada.

For PR Residency Obligation, count the number of days any part of the day was spent in Canada.

That said, for citizenship, best to use and rely upon the online residency calculator, making sure (of course) to accurate report all dates of exit and entry.

Some observations about calculation-related issues in the future:

By the way, however, there are at least a couple Federal Court cases in which it was argued that any day a PR was in Canada, should be counted as a day in Canada. Issue was left unresolved because other factors dictated the result.

The current calculating method employed by CIC (which counts either dates of entry or dates of exit, and not the other, which again in effect is counting midnights spent in Canada) is CIC's interpretation of the applicable statutory provision. It has largely gone unchallenged (except in a couple recent cases), mostly (my perception in reading almost all citizenship cases for many years now) because the outcome of the case does not depend on that narrow of a margin. Shortfall cases are shortfall cases, so the extra days included by calculating both entries and exits would not affect whether a qualitative test is applied or what the outcome is based on a qualitative test if that is applied (qualitative test will no longer be available for applications subject to the revised provisions and the 4/6 rule). Cases in which the applicant asserts more than 1095 days actual presence usually fail (for those which do fail) because CIC and the CJ do not believe the applicant's declarations as to days in Canada and the Federal Court will uphold that if it finds the denial of approval was based on a reasonable determination that the applicant failed to meet the applicant's burden of proving residency. But for a very few cases, this does not ordinarily involve counting specific days as present or not, but is based on a broad assessment as to whether the applicant has proven actual presence sufficient to meet the residency requirement.

I wonder, though, whether the increased time period (six years), and increased core residency requirement (1460 days), specifically based on days actually present in Canada, might lead to some challenges about this method of calculation. If, as most the arguments for a physical presence requirement assert, the purpose of the requirement is to show the PR has actual time in Canada, based on the number of days specifically spent in Canada, then it is at least arguable that any day spent in Canada should count, even if one spends part of that day outside Canada (that is, even though it is a exiting or entering Canada). On the other hand, it could be argued as well that given the purpose of the requirement, only complete calendar days in Canada should count, and neither the day of exit or entry should count.

And, after all, CIC will count a day as spent in Canada even if most of it was spent in the U.S., so long as the return to Canada was prior to midnight on the same calendar day the PR went to the U.S.

The vast majority of residency cases reviewed by the Federal Court prior to the last four or five years were shortfall, qualitative test cases. Prior to 2010 or 2011 close cases (close to the 1095 day threshold for actual presence) were rare. And it has only been in the last year or so that there have been a significant increase in the number of close-call cases (some this past year were cases in which the applicant fell short of 1095 by less than two or three weeks) . . . prior to when Jason Kenney held the reins at CIC I believe there were many such cases in which CJs gave approval and CIC granted citizenship.

The point of this is that it has rarely come down to a matter of five or ten days, so it has rarely mattered whether both days of exit and entry were counted, not counted, or just one or the other counted.

Going forward, with the longer time period, longer residency requirement, that will undoubtedly involve more individual trips, and proof of meeting the minimum number will be flat out determinative . . . so there will be a more significant impact relative to how these days are counted.

Somewhere in this forum I discussed and linked a recent decision by Justice Locke which, from my perspective, offers a glimpse into what could be an area of focus in future residency cases. In another forum there is a specific topic in which I discuss several cases which, going back about two years ago now, also indicate an increasing focus on the precise calculation itself. I think this will most likely loom larger in the future once the 4/6 and 4X183/year requirement applies.

Dreamrealfab

Mar 4, 2015
Hello I have a question my mother is 53 she has applied about 4 times but always fails because she is dyslexic with very bad exam skills she gets so nervous she forgets everything and reading is hard for her. We have tried tutors classes and everything. We thought now would be a good time to apply again since she will be turning 55 soon probably by the time her file is looked at she will be 55.If she apples now will she be under the old rules of 55 or the new one of 65?

Also do they go by your age when you apply or your age when the request to write the test comes?

Thank you for any help/insight

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dreamrealfab said:
Hello I have a question my mother is 53 she has applied about 4 times but always fails because she is dyslexic with very bad exam skills she gets so nervous she forgets everything and reading is hard for her. We have tried tutors classes and everything. We thought now would be a good time to apply again since she will be turning 55 soon probably by the time her file is looked at she will be 55.If she apples now will she be under the old rules of 55 or the new one of 65?

Also do they go by your age when you apply or your age when the request to write the test comes?

1. If she applies now and is still under 54 on the date she signs the application, then she will have to take the test. If the new age provisions are proclaimed before she turns 54, then she will have to take the test until she turns 65.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Dreamrealfab said:

The age of your mother at the time of signing the application and CIC receiving it will be locked down. If she is 54 at date of signing application and at time CIC receiving it, she will be required to take the written test regardless of how old she is when she takes the test.

If she submits application after turning 55 and CIC received it before the new 4 / 6 rule come into effect, only then would she be exempt from writing the test.

You may have to look into option of an oral exam instead of a written test. Oral exam can be granted if you have trouble reading/writing in english/french. So if you explain that your mother has dyslexic and shown medical diagnosis, they may consider giving her an oral exam. No different from a blind person asking for an Oram exam since he/she can't read the test.

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Dear Friends.

Need an advise. For the citizenship application do we have to
also give photo copy of pages of passport which shows stamps as when
we left canada/entered canada etc...I dont see this mentioned in
the citizenship checklist. I was wondering without this how will they know when
a person left the country.

thanks,
Godhelp

jassi_cool1980