+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
It will be interesting how many shortfall applications have actually been granted with citizenship, especially after the changes made back in 1st of August.
I don't think that this information will be publically available, because it will show how really unlikely is a shortfall application to be successful , especially after 1st of August 2014.
Instead CIC will be more then happy to keep on receiving money for free, given from the shortfall applicants.
this is gonna be a good and interesting thread ;o) lets ask them ;o)
I remember when i did my interview, the agent told me that i mis calculate it and i put one day more in my residence calculator but she said that it doesn't matter coz I have 1101 days. so from that point i know that they are checking your days in Canada

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I had the chance to talk with a supervisor, the message was clear. Both Basic and Physical presence must be minimum 1095 days in order an application to be granted with citizenship. In practise now they count only the physical presence days.

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
It will be interesting how many shortfall applications have actually been granted with citizenship, especially after the changes made back in 1st of August.
I don't think that this information will be publically available, because it will show how really unlikely is a shortfall application to be successful , especially after 1st of August 2014.
Instead CIC will be more then happy to keep on receiving money for free, given from the shortfall applicants.
That's a very interesting question indeed, and many on this forum have wondered about it. Every time I spoke to a citizenship officer while crashing a ceremony here in Edmonton, I have asked if the citizenship judge still applied the Koo test, and the indication was that yes, people still can get approved if they are short physical presence days. As far as we know, CJs still have to see an applicant if the lower-level decision maker cannot approve the application on a strict physical presence basis.

I have always suspected that since August of last year, and perhaps even earlier, CJs have been discouraged to apply the Koo test. I don't know if they were expressly instructed to do that, or if the multiple appeals by the Minister of positive CJ decisions had bullied them into it.

I made an ATIP request late last year for, basically, all decisions of the Edmonton office CJ since her appointment in 2012. I am told that the results are ready and I should have them by the end of this week. I am not holding my breath, but am hopeful that there is meaningful disclosure that will either confirm my suspicions or prove them baseless, who knows.

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
friends,

any clue when is the rule going to be effective. does
anyone think it can get activated on april 1st. what
r the chances :)

thanks,
godhelp

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For sure it will be in some of the next months April, May, June, July or August. The cut off date is getting closer and closer.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
And the reason they are probably not telling people earlier is to control intake. If I gave you a date now for later then ALL (literally ALLLLLLL) those who qualify will rush because they know they quality within that month AFTER which the rules change.

But, if I cleverly put a posting with little notice then the RUSH applicants can be drastically cut down - which is sort of cruel but I guess with the previous history of backlogs they might want to control that flood of "pre-rules change" applicants.

My 2 cents.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
Honestly I just hope they give us at least 1 week notice. It is way to big of a change to give the notice on the same day, like they did with the August 1st change. We are 10 weeks away from June 1st, the date when things get really interesting, since the minister himself said the law will be applied in June.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
na123 said:
Honestly I just hope they give us at least 1 week notice. It is way to big of a change to give the notice on the same day, like they did with the August 1st change. We are 10 weeks away from June 1st, the date when things get really interesting, since the minister himself said the law will be applied in June.
Are you referring to that old and unofficial video, made from a pocket cell phone?
Do you remember how that same Minister made the "Clarification" of Intend to Reside on Official media and public meeting, where actually he was talking about the eligibility.
Do you remember how last year in February the same Minister said on the national CBC that they expect the bill to become a law at the end of the year, and couple of weeks later we all saw the incredible rush to become a law before the summer.

My point is, that this minister is not too much into the details of that law.
It is funny that even in that unofficial video he was again corrected from a female voice beside him

Bottom line...
Don't trust that Minister, Only Harper knows, that's why they use "Approximately" in the official message, because it covers couple of months range.

Mar 13, 2015
Hello, everyone.

I have a situation, which may well be one of first impression, but it represents a crucial distinction.

Situation: A p.r. citizenship applicant crosses border from Canada into U.S. at 22h08 on Monday, and returns at 00h12 on Tuesday, and remains in Canada.

Although he has spent 23 hours 48 minutes in Canada on Tuesday, and 22 hours 8 minutes on Monday,
the Residence Calculator will subtract a day.

However, the official requirement is, as stated:

"Each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day"

My question is:

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE OFFICIAL DEFINITION OF "LIVING IN
CANADA FOR ONE GIVEN DAY"? (I refer to for citizenship, not permanent residency!)

At the risk of repetition, the official RC is not citable as legal authority, of itself. I am searching
for the legal basis.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers!

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Even though the applicant was out of Canada for 1 hour, but as per rules he was out for 1 day.

That 1 hour should fall completely within 12am to 12am for a given date.

Prospective Canuck said:
Hello, everyone.

I have a situation, which may well be one of first impression, but it represents a crucial distinction.

Situation: A p.r. citizenship applicant crosses border from Canada into U.S. at 22h08 on Monday, and returns at 00h12 on Tuesday, and remains in Canada.

Although he has spent 23 hours 48 minutes in Canada on Tuesday, and 22 hours 8 minutes on Monday,

"Each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day"

My question is:

CANADA FOR ONE GIVEN DAY"? (I refer to for citizenship, not permanent residency!)

At the risk of repetition, the official RC is not citable as legal authority, of itself. I am searching
for the legal basis.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers!

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Friends I am very confused. not sure whether I should take chance.
I can make my application reach by march 31st, but that way I only
accumulate 1098 physical residence days. Because this government is
so unpredictable and don't give any prior notice, should I send the application
so it reaches by march 31st. I have read that if one has only small buffer over 1095 days (in my case 1098 days)
likelihood of RQ is very high. So am stuck and confused, because these people are not telling
when rule will get implemented and its really difficult to trust them.

thanks friends. please guide
Godhelp

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Prospective Canuck said:
Hello, everyone.

My question is:

for the legal basis.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers!
As mentioned above, no matter how long you been outside Canada, 1 hour or 23 hours, the moment the clock ticked 12:00 midnight when you re-enter Canada, it is considered a day outside Canada.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godhelp said:
Friends I am very confused. not sure whether I should take chance.
I can make my application reach by march 31st, but that way I only
accumulate 1098 physical residence days. Because this government is
so unpredictable and don't give any prior notice, should I send the application
so it reaches by march 31st. I have read that if one has only small buffer over 1095 days (in my case 1098 days)
likelihood of RQ is very high. So am stuck and confused, because these people are not telling
when rule will get implemented and its really difficult to trust them.

thanks friends. please guide
Godhelp
If you have more than 1095 days of physical presence before 1st of April you are good to go.
The triggers for the RQs are changing constantly, everybody can get a RQ at some point for some new reason.

I also don't trust that government and I think that all that intentional mystery is in place, because they want to implement the new rules somehow with a surprise for everybody.
There is no guarantee that they will announce the changes in advance, even one week notice in advance might bring a huge amount of applications in the last minute.
I am sure that thousands of desperate applications only with basic residence will flood CIC if they announce the date in advance. They definitely don't want that.
It is a cruel game , no doubt.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
What gets me is that people are banking on the deadline as if it is the end of the world. It is not like CIC is removing the naturalization of Canadian citizenship away permanently. That I can see people panicking over when the deadline is.

You will get your citizenship when the time comes when you qualify and apply regardless if it under the 3/4 year rule or 4/6 year rule, regardless of when the deadline actually kick in or how much advanced notice they give.

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Thanks MUFC. Its really a cruel and I will
say unethical game. What is stopping them
to make announcement of FINAL implementation date.
candidates already waited 9 months to SIMPLY know FINAL
IMPLEMENTATION DATE, so people can plan accordingly. planning
means a lot. someone can be sick back home.

I am planning to send application with 1098 residence days.
Dont want to take chance till April 1st. They also backdate things.
common praticise of theirs.

thanks
Godhelp