+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver Licence (Licence from USA convert to BC licence)

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
tocanadame said:
check my post

Hi all, just wanted to write my experience in exchanging my USA driving license in BC

First, i hold a 6 month expired USA driving license (maximum accepted a one year expired DL) , so this applies for expired and valid driving licenses from USA (either you are American citizen or not)

They have exchanged my DL with a temporary driving license (a yellow sheet of paper with no photo id -valid for two months and it can be extended), they did that coz i do not have the PR card yet as it is the primary ID they need along with the secondary ID (USA DL) , then after you get your PR you have to go back to the ICBC or driving license office to show them your PR and they will mail you the photo id driving license.

Important : Things to do and to know to be able to get the exchange :

1. Before landing , get a driving abstract from the driving license office where your USA DL was issued ,

2. In case you won't be able to receive the abstract, just request it and pay for it and then you can ask the USA DL office to fax it to the driving license office in BC or any province when you are there at the ICBC

3. They will take an eye test and ask you some major driving questions such as what would you do if a school bus stops and etc..

4. They will keep the USA DL and won't give it back to you.

That's all

Thanks

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-experience-exchanging-usa-driving-license-in-canada-bc-t163452.0.html
Good read, i got the abstract from my USA issuing DMV, only issue is that it doesn't have dates on it. But licence itself has, so hope there wont be any issues with that. Interesting that they didn't allow a foreign passport as a primary ID. There was another post a few days ago about Toronto licences for people with US licences, where landing papers were allowed as primary, but i guess each province differ a bit.

Don't mind a paper licence for the time being, assuming it valid as a licence to drive :)

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
browntrout said:
Good read, i got the abstract from my USA issuing DMV, only issue is that it doesn't have dates on it. But licence itself has, so hope there wont be any issues with that. Interesting that they didn't allow a foreign passport as a primary ID. There was another post a few days ago about Toronto licences for people with US licences, where landing papers were allowed as primary, but i guess each province differ a bit.

Don't mind a paper licence for the time being, assuming it valid as a licence to drive :)
Reason they won't accept a passport as a primary ID is because primary ID has to show valid status in Canada. Study permit, work permit, long-term visitor record (more than 6 months' duration), or documentation establishing PR are all accepted as forms of primary ID. Seems to vary from one ICBC location/customer service rep to another whether PR Card is needed or whether landing papers will do. I know people that were told they'd need to show the PR card for final hard-copy DL, as well as others who got by with only landing papers. For what it's worth (based on personal first-hand and additional anecdotal experiences), the Henning Drive (Burnaby) location seems to be more lenient/pragmatically-minded, whereas as the Metrotown (Metropolis Mall, also in Burnaby) and Minoru Street (Richmond) ICBC locations\are less flexible (anal).

Good luck!

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
NeedleArtist said:
Reason they won't accept a passport as a primary ID is because primary ID has to show valid status in Canada. Study permit, work permit, long-term visitor record (more than 6 months' duration), or documentation establishing PR are all accepted as forms of primary ID. Seems to vary from one ICBC location/customer service rep to another whether PR Card is needed or whether landing papers will do. I know people that were told they'd need to show the PR card for final hard-copy DL, as well as others who got by with only landing papers. For what it's worth (based on personal first-hand and additional anecdotal experiences), the Henning Drive (Burnaby) location seems to be more lenient/pragmatically-minded, whereas as the Metrotown (Metropolis Mall, also in Burnaby) and Minoru Street (Richmond) ICBC locations\are less flexible (anal).

Good luck!
thanks for your input, and i have noted down the henning drive location, will go there :)