+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchanging Licence in BC

ohdearohdear

Jul 4, 2018
Hello,

I understand new residents to BC have 90 days to switch over their licences. I currently hold a valid licence from the states. When I went to exchange it, I learned that BC is unable to view my driving record from the state in which my licence was issued. I've since requested a driving abstract, but it looks like the state has a bit of a backlog - and there's no way to get around that (other than flying 3000 km one-way to obtain it in person, which isn't feasible). Basically, I'm unsure if I'll get the abstract within that 90-day window. (Yeah, in retrospect, I probably should have picked it up before I moved, but I didn't foresee this happening.)

I contacted ICBC, and they said I would still be able to exchange my licence after the 90 day window, but that I might want to stop driving after 90 days (as my licence is technically no longer valid, and a police officer could write me a ticket if I were to get pulled over).

Has anyone been in a similar position (i.e., exchanging your licence after more than 90 days in BC)? Did you have any issues when you went to exchange it? Thanks!

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,

I understand new residents to BC have 90 days to switch over their licences. I currently hold a valid licence from the states. When I went to exchange it, I learned that BC is unable to view my driving record from the state in which my licence was issued. I've since requested a driving abstract, but it looks like the state has a bit of a backlog - and there's no way to get around that (other than flying 3000 km one-way to obtain it in person, which isn't feasible). Basically, I'm unsure if I'll get the abstract within that 90-day window. (Yeah, in retrospect, I probably should have picked it up before I moved, but I didn't foresee this happening.)

I contacted ICBC, and they said I would still be able to exchange my licence after the 90 day window, but that I might want to stop driving after 90 days (as my licence is technically no longer valid, and a police officer could write me a ticket if I were to get pulled over).

Has anyone been in a similar position (i.e., exchanging your licence after more than 90 days in BC)? Did you have any issues when you went to exchange it? Thanks!
Interesting..when I came to Vancouver years ago, I changed my Swiss licence for a BC one with no driving record provided. No questions asked, just a simple exchange.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
How would Police Officer know if you are past 90 days window?

NoCanDoIt

Oct 21, 2017
Hello,

To answer your question: don't worry about the 90-day window. They'll process your request whenever you
a. surrender ALL your DLs (even those held in other countries), and
b. Submit your driving record

My story:
I was recently at ICBC (during a 4-day trip to Vancouver) to get my now-expired US license exchanged for a BC one. I was asked to present my driving record from the US, which I initially got a print of online. Unfortunately, ICBC needs the record directly faxed or mailed to their office. I was lucky and had it faxed to them, after which they accepted it.

Unfortunately, I still could not get my BC license. Reason? ICBC needed me to surrender any and all DLs held across the world. Now, I did not carry with me the DL from my home country because it was cracked -- just didn't think I would need it! So I was left without a BC license until I gave them what they needed. Fair enough. As things turned out, my trip outside Canada was looking like it would last over ~2.5 to 3 months. The staff at ICBC assured me that is okay and that I could still get it exchanged outside the 90-day window. The only restriction was that I would not be able to drive on my foreign license beyond that 90-day period, but another staff member also suggested that that the 90-day period would "reset" upon my re-entry in Canada. So I am still a bit unclear on the driving restrictions imposed on foreign license holders.

To reiterate... the 90-day window applies to how long you can drive in Canada on a foreign license; it does mean that is how long you have to get your foreign/US license exchanged for a BC one.

On related note, I learned that the US driving record (if it is long enough) can also help you get discount on your car insurance in Canada. I am not a 100% on this, but will soon find out...

HTH!

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ICBC has its rules and police have their own interpretation. They don't have same standards.

ohdearohdear

Jul 4, 2018
To answer your question: don't worry about the 90-day window. They'll process your request whenever you
a. surrender ALL your DLs (even those held in other countries), and
b. Submit your driving record

My story:
I was recently at ICBC (during a 4-day trip to Vancouver) to get my now-expired US license exchanged for a BC one. I was asked to present my driving record from the US, which I initially got a print of online. Unfortunately, ICBC needs the record directly faxed or mailed to their office. I was lucky and had it faxed to them, after which they accepted it.

Unfortunately, I still could not get my BC license. Reason? ICBC needed me to surrender any and all DLs held across the world. Now, I did not carry with me the DL from my home country because it was cracked -- just didn't think I would need it! So I was left without a BC license until I gave them what they needed. Fair enough. As things turned out, my trip outside Canada was looking like it would last over ~2.5 to 3 months. The staff at ICBC assured me that is okay and that I could still get it exchanged outside the 90-day window. The only restriction was that I would not be able to drive on my foreign license beyond that 90-day period, but another staff member also suggested that that the 90-day period would "reset" upon my re-entry in Canada. So I am still a bit unclear on the driving restrictions imposed on foreign license holders.

To reiterate... the 90-day window applies to how long you can drive in Canada on a foreign license; it does mean that is how long you have to get your foreign/US license exchanged for a BC one.

On related note, I learned that the US driving record (if it is long enough) can also help you get discount on your car insurance in Canada. I am not a 100% on this, but will soon find out...

HTH!
Thanks so much! That's reassuring overall. It sounds like ICBC employees may be unsure about the particulars of driving restrictions imposed on foreign licence holders - or at least, inconsistent in the advice they give.

Quick question: By "...it does mean that is how long you have to get your foreign/US license exchanged," I'm guessing you mean "does not"? Thanks again!

Reactions: valeria_pac

ohdearohdear

Jul 4, 2018
ICBC has its rules and police have their own interpretation. They don't have same standards.
Apologies if I was unclear. My impression is that the policy is the same (90 days to exchange a licence) but that law enforcement would be the main enforcers of that policy (by writing citations as they see fit, etc.). I'm mainly curious about how ICBC treats drivers who are unable to exchange their licence within that 90-day window.

NoCanDoIt

Oct 21, 2017
Thanks so much! That's reassuring overall. It sounds like ICBC employees may be unsure about the particulars of driving restrictions imposed on foreign licence holders - or at least, inconsistent in the advice they give.

Quick question: By "...it does mean that is how long you have to get your foreign/US license exchanged," I'm guessing you mean "does not"? Thanks again!
Yes, I meant "does not". I guess there is so much positivity around that a 'not' does not find a place when I am in a state of flow. :D Or so I wish... :(

NoCanDoIt

Oct 21, 2017
Apologies if I was unclear. My impression is that the policy is the same (90 days to exchange a licence) but that law enforcement would be the main enforcers of that policy (by writing citations as they see fit, etc.). I'm mainly curious about how ICBC treats drivers who are unable to exchange their licence within that 90-day window.
@ohdearohdear : Just a quick update for you. I returned after three months, went straight to the same ICBC location that had my other documents from before, and I got my license exchanged without a problem. They asked a few questions about driving rules verbally over the counter, but nothing too complicated. I did not expect that, but knew enough about driving in NA to answer all correctly. If I had known that, I would have probably glanced through the instructional booklet to feel a bit more confident. Hope your situation got resolved!

siddhi1234567

Apr 15, 2021
@ohdearohdear : Just a quick update for you. I returned after three months, went straight to the same ICBC location that had my other documents from before, and I got my license exchanged without a problem. They asked a few questions about driving rules verbally over the counter, but nothing too complicated. I did not expect that, but knew enough about driving in NA to answer all correctly. If I had known that, I would have probably glanced through the instructional booklet to feel a bit more confident. Hope your situation got resolved!
Hi, wondering if you could tell what all questions they asked your verbally while getting your license exchanged? If you have a list or recall the questions, it'd be helpful! Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, wondering if you could tell what all questions they asked your verbally while getting your license exchanged? If you have a list or recall the questions, it'd be helpful! Thanks!
The poster has not been active for more than 2 years. Probably would not reply to you anytime soon. Btw, do you have a driving abstract?

siddhi1234567

Apr 15, 2021
The poster has not been active for more than 2 years. Probably would not reply to you anytime soon. Btw, do you have a driving abstract?
I don't have a driving extract yet. I have the plastic license from the US that I can get it exchanged?
PS: for driving extract, do they need the 'attested, certified driving history'? When I go the states website it's giving me 4 different option to retrieve driving history: 'Public driving record - true & attested', 'Public driving record- unattested', 'personal driving history', & 'certified driving history'.
Any idea which one to go for? Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have a driving extract yet. I have the plastic license from the US that I can get it exchanged?
PS: for driving extract, do they need the 'attested, certified driving history'? When I go the states website it's giving me 4 different option to retrieve driving history: 'Public driving record - true & attested', 'Public driving record- unattested', 'personal driving history', & 'certified driving history'.
Any idea which one to go for? Thanks
The webpage below does say that current driver's licence (if the issue date shown is the date of your first licence) is acceptable:

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Proving-your-driving-experience.aspx

NoCanDoIt

Oct 21, 2017
Apologies. I haven't logged in for a while. Not sure if it helps now... nevertheless!

Questions were pretty basic, from what I remember, except one that almost threw me off--erred on the safe side and the officer corrected me.
- distance you should keep from a vehicle ahead of you on a highway (this is the one where I answered with a much larger distance
- danger of driving too close to a vehicle
- if a school bus is stopped on the road, what should you do
- what does a flashing red indicate

HTH!