+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving licence in BC

stu2

Aug 13, 2018
Hi everyone!

I am a recent graduate from a Canadian university and am now on my PGWP visa. I have a few questions regarding getting a licence in BC which I could find no clear answer to on be ICBC website.

1. When does the 3 months to exchange your licence start for graduating students? Is it after graduation or after the PGWP comes into effect? I have been away from Canada since I graduated in May so have not been able to exchange my licence.

2. Who needs a driving record to prove driving experience? I have over three years of driving experience in Mexico and my licence is over three years old, but getting a driving record is close to impossible before the three months are up.

3. Can I obtain an L then obtain a full licence after I prove my experience in Mexico? For example, if I missed the 90 day benchmark so I obtain an L to practice, but since I have my full licence in Mexico, can I take a driving exam for full class 5 licence once I feel ready and confident on Vancouver roads?

Thanks for any help! The ICBC website is not very helpful for me so I appreciate any advice.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hi everyone!

I am a recent graduate from a Canadian university and am now on my PGWP visa. I have a few questions regarding getting a licence in BC which I could find no clear answer to on be ICBC website.

1. When does the 3 months to exchange your licence start for graduating students? Is it after graduation or after the PGWP comes into effect? I have been away from Canada since I graduated in May so have not been able to exchange my licence. 3 Months are time you can drive on your home country licence it will expire from day of your arrival in BC. Since BC allowed to drive students on home country licence only ICBC can clarify this.

2. Who needs a driving record to prove driving experience? I have over three years of driving experience in Mexico and my licence is over three years old, but getting a driving record is close to impossible before the three months are up. Driving record is for better Insurance Rate. If you licence is 3 years old you can surrender that to ICBC and can directly appear in Class 5 Test. Otherwise you have to appear first for N test.

3. Can I obtain an L then obtain a full licence after I prove my experience in Mexico? For example, if I missed the 90 day benchmark so I obtain an L to practice, but since I have my full licence in Mexico, can I take a driving exam for full class 5 licence once I feel ready and confident on Vancouver roads? You will get L in any case once you will pass the written exam. No one is exempt from written Exam.

https://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/contact-us/Pages/default.aspx

Toll free in B.C., Canada and the U.S.
1-800-663-3051

Lower Mainland
604-661-2800

you can ask questions directly on following page as well

https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/eforms/dotcom/jsp/feedback_customer_relations.jsp

Good Luck
Thanks for any help! The ICBC website is not very helpful for me so I appreciate any advice.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
I am sorry i missed one thing you are on PGWP. You might get up to 1 year to drive on same mexico licence

Try to your luck with ICBC

KAMNGS

Aug 15, 2018
Can advise as to whether application for knowledge test / driving test will base on expiry of PR card....eg if the PR Card expired in 01st August 2018, am i allowed to take the test or have to wait for the new PR renewal card.

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can advise as to whether application for knowledge test / driving test will base on expiry of PR card....eg if the PR Card expired in 01st August 2018, am i allowed to take the test or have to wait for the new PR renewal card.

Thanks.
They are not related.

Driver license is a provincial thing.

KAMNGS

Aug 15, 2018
They are not related.

Driver license is a provincial thing.
I was told that I cannot apply for ICBC Knowledge Test / Road Test as my PR card had expired.

Unable to reapply for PR Card renewal, as of this moment, as not able to achieve the RO obligations.

Any advise on this matter. Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was told that I cannot apply for ICBC Knowledge Test / Road Test as my PR card had expired.

Unable to reapply for PR Card renewal, as of this moment, as not able to achieve the RO obligations.

Any advise on this matter. Thanks.
Unfortunately what you heard is true. You will have walk, take public transit or ask a friend for rides until you have a valid PR card.

Reactions: YVR123