+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchange drivers licence from Alberta to Ontario

ENGLISHFORCITIZENSHIP

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Hi Guys,

Sorry for cross-posting this here, I couldn't find a good forum for this.

I wonder whether anyone here knows how the drivers licence exchange work from Alberta to Ontario? See my case below.

I got my learners' licence in BC in 2015 Nov and the GDL driver licence in 2016 Nov. Then I moved to Alberta and exchanged my GDL licence to their GDL licence one in 2017 January. Then, I will be moving to Ontario next year.( in the first quatar)

My question is will I be able to get the G (full) licence in Ontario? I will have more than 2 years driving experience by that time with learners permit? Because I heard Ontario counts the time someone spent as a learner.

A reply will be highly appreciated.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html
Ontario has licence exchange agreements with certain provinces, states, and countries. If you are from one of these jurisdictions, you may be eligible to do a direct licence exchange for an Ontario licence without all the required testing. However, if you have a probationary licence (e.g., learner's permit), you may be entitled only to have driving experience credited.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
In my experience, you'll likely end up with G2 and the ability to do the G road test without waiting.

ENGLISHFORCITIZENSHIP

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Don't you think as mentioned on their website,will I be exempted from that as I will have more than 2 year driver's experience including the learners' permit time by the time I will apply in Ontario? What do you think about what they said in that "However, if you have a probationary licence (e.g., learner's permit), you may be entitled only to have driving experience credited."

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

Last edited:

ENGLISHFORCITIZENSHIP

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
In my experience, you'll likely end up with G2 and the ability to do the G road test without waiting.
I just got this reply from Drivertest, Ontario. What does this mean?
If you have a probationary licence (e.g., learner's permit), you may be entitled only to have driving experience credited. To be able to exchange your licence for a full G, you must have at least 24 months of the past 36 months of driving experience as a full licence in your jurisdiction.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I just got this reply from Drivertest, Ontario. What does this mean?
If you have a probationary licence (e.g., learner's permit), you may be entitled only to have driving experience credited. To be able to exchange your licence for a full G, you must have at least 24 months of the past 36 months of driving experience as a full licence in your jurisdiction.
It means they will give you a G1 or G2 and credit your driving experience. In order to exchange for full G, you have to have had a Class 5 (non-GDL) for 2 of the previous 3 years.

The good thing about getting full credit for driving experience is that you probably won't have a wait time to take your G.

(My experience in this area is from being a driving instructor in Ontario)

Samson1

Apr 28, 2018
Hi
So what happened in the end? Can you please tell us? I am moving to Ontario next month and I have held my class 5 GDL in Alberta for 2 weeks. I can't get an answer anywhere about what will happen to my licence, and if it will be exchanged. Thanks