+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do CBSA officers at the airport have exit records?

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hey man, I am not on this forum to argue, and to be fair, I am not sure what we are discussing anymore. You don't live in Canada, might have applied and got your PR but have no intention of moving or living here. What purpose would you have on this forum?

This forum is more about helping each other out. those who want to move or live here. I def know I got a lot of help in the process of moving and settling down here.

I will refrain from replying, peace out!
I am not asking why you are here. If you want to argue your point, feel free to do so, I am not here to tell you what you should do. Likewise, you shouldn't tell me what I must do or ask why I am here. This is a public forum, so anyone who registers can participate, ask questions and post their opinions, as long as they don't violate the laws and don't harass, insult and attack others.

You asked me if I was sure that I was not in breach. And you quoted my first post on this forum. Prior to you quoting my fist post and asking me if I was sure I wasn't in breach, I told you I was sent to secondary inspection each time I visited Canada by land. Which means you were questioning me, whether I was sure that I was not in breach of RO while I was sent to secondary inspection. I answered your question. It seems you don't understand content of my posts and now you admit that you don't know what you are talking about.

I am glad you were helped on this forum before and please feel free to keep out of discussion in future. I never coerce anyone to participate in debates with me. There is no need to create confusion and tell me what I should say or shouldn't say about my personal experience with Canadian immigration.

Last edited:

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
As a side note: lying is never permissible and has the most draconian consequences, unless you are Collin Powell who pretends to be holding an anthrax bottle so neoconservatives can start unprovoked war with party that had nothing to do with 911. Then you are all good and dandy, no accusations of lie there , no judgment rendered. You are very very respectable man.

Of course I am being sarcastic, and don't condone lying to Federal Officials under any circumstances. But I wish this "Woe and behold!" crowd, always up in arms and perennially pontificating and warning an average Joe of God's wrath and Hell's eternal fires for lying, were consistent and true to their consciousness, and had demonstrated an equal zeal in matters where a lie led to needles deaths of tens of thousands of individuals.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As a side note: lying is never permissible and has the most draconian consequences, unless you are Collin Powell who pretends to be holding an anthrax bottle so neoconservatives can start unprovoked war with party that had nothing to do with 911. Then you are all good and dandy, no accusations of lie there , no judgment rendered. You are very very respectable man.

Of course I am being sarcastic, and don't condone lying to Federal Officials under any circumstances. But I wish this "Woe and behold!" crowd, always up in arms and perennially pontificating and warning an average Joe of God's wrath and Hell's eternal fires for lying, were consistent and true to their consciousness, and had demonstrated an equal zeal in matters where a lie led to needles deaths of tens of thousands of individuals.
You seem, once again, to be confusing Canada with some other country. In this instance, a country that pursued that particular war in Iraq.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
someone who obtains temp. visa abroad (and informs immigration or consular officials of their personal situation), and is granted a temp. visitor visa can confidently go to Canada and ask for admission at POE, while someone coming on Visa Waiver must understand that whatever concerns POE officer may have must be satisfied on the spot.

Profoundly uninformed. First, wrong on the facts: POE officer can choose not to admit any foreign national who arrives at a border, with or without a visa or visa waiver - or as per your formulation: all visitors "must satisfy any concerns a POE officer may have" and on the spot, if required, not just by means of the visa. There is no difference between the regime that applies in this particular respect - having a visa in hand is not a guarantee of entry.

While those who have qualified for a TRV have gone through some degree of checking by IRCC before the visa is granted, that is because for other reasons (eg nationality) they were considered substantially higher risks of violating terms of entry in the first place. And yes, visitors with visas are routinely queried to determine whether their declared reasons to visit (declared via the visa application) are truthful. Now those queries may not be particularly rigorous or aggressive (in part because most visitors probably were telling the truth and their answers are sufficient to demonstrate that).

Now as for the practical aspect of how this applies: your post is the very first time I have ever heard anyone, anywhere claim that ETA visitors are subject to more checking or concerns in this respect (or that for some reason an ETA visitor should be less confident about arriving and asking for admission). Quite the contrary, all the comments I've heard point to CBSA officers posing more questions, in more detail, to TRV holders (despite that information already having been provided [because hint hint they are checking]) - although very few of the comments I've heard have complained about that being aggressive or problematic, possibly because my contacts were telling the truth (sample bias).

Perhaps your sources of information have far more experience (personal and reported) with this particular circumstance than mine, which I'll admit is entirely anecdotal - but based on your history, I doubt that.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Ignored member said:
Profoundly uninformed. First, wrong on the facts: POE officer can choose not to admit any foreign national who arrives at a border, with or without a visa or visa waiver - or as per your formulation: all visitors "must satisfy any concerns a POE officer may have" and on the spot, if required, not just by means of the visa. There is no difference between the regime that applies in this particular respect - having a visa in hand is not a guarantee of entry.
You may jump from joy, because this is one exceptional occasion where I respond to your relentless annoyances, but it is done rather for the other forum members, so they can read and make their own judgment about your baseless assertions.

And I will feed a bit (just a tad bit, so as not to dilute or digress from main points) of your own medicine to you: after dozens of your persistent ad hominems ,which I stoically ignored until now, some characterization of you is to follow as well.

First, I note that you have serious comprehension issues. You simply don't understand what you are commenting on***. It could be due to your poor command of English. It could also be a deliberate obfuscation and straw man argument. I won't speculate further, but will ask specifically:

What exactly is profoundly uninformed? Which one of my above statements are incorrect?

Now, reading your statements and assertions, such as "POE officer can choose not to admit any foreign national who arrives at a border, with or without a visa or visa waiver", and the assertion allegedly I have made (which is your straw man, unless you show where I have said it) , I must ask: where did I ever state "POE officer can not choose to deny admission to any foreign national"? Show me, bring me one quote where I stated that, and I will apologize for dubbing you a relentless annoyance.

I will further reiterate (because, clearly, you are not aware of it), that someone who received a visa abroad and has already been properly vetted by foreign embassy/consulate is in better position at POE than someone from visa-waiver country without stamped visa if there is any ambiguity in their circumstances that can pose a question as to their admissibility. Namely, let's take as an example the spouse of permanent resident who himself is in breach of RO and can't sponsor his wife for at least two years. The foreign national spouse, whether abroad or at POE, must convince the embassy/consulate and/or POE officer that she will return to her homeland after a brief visit to her husband (assuming she will be directly asked about purpose of her visit, and will have to disclose about presence of Canadian PR spouse if asked). In such a circumstance (which is not universal, and does not apply to millions of other visa waiver visitors) , having a tourist visa in the passport gives much higher chances of admission (which, as you pointed above, is never guaranteed to any foreign national). Because, the chances are that this person was already asked about purpose of the visit, properly vetted, and it was already decided by officer of the Canadian government that she should be allowed to come and visit Canada as temporary visitor. And there is no hint, whiff or trace of attempt to evade detection and sneak into country, whereas as visa-waiver visitor it can be presumed that you are taking advantage of your visa waiver passport in order to avoid being grilled and properly vetted at foreign embassy, where you could request tourist visa and steadfastly face any questions to allow the decision to be made without rush.

NOTE: Some non-immigrants were denied admission at the border precisely because they had visa-waiver passport (especially in cases involving close/spousal relationship with PR or Citizen of host country), which made them appear as if they were trying to evade the rules and sneak in into the country without proper vetting and getting appropriate visa (and those very people would probably avoid such fate, had they walked into the embassy and asked for a tourist visa, or other visa relevant to the purpose of the trip, which anyone can do, even if they are from visa-waiver country: you can still apply for and get a tourist visa as a citizen of country who can visit the host without that visa).

Ignored member said:
While those who have qualified for a TRV have gone through some degree of checking by IRCC before the visa is granted, that is because for other reasons (eg nationality) they were considered substantially higher risks of violating terms of entry in the first place. And yes, visitors with visas are routinely queried to determine whether their declared reasons to visit (declared via the visa application) are truthful. Now those queries may not be particularly rigorous or aggressive (in part because most visitors probably were telling the truth and their answers are sufficient to demonstrate that).
Again, like an 18 years old teenager who just got a badge and became a street cop, or like a newly converted disciple of the Church, with little to no life experience, you are all obsessed with demonstrating this and demonstrating that, with truth, telling the truth and lies , while the crux of the issue (what asker's spouse should be concerned about) is the fact that as an intending immigrant (in future or present), or dual intended visitor, she must be able to convince the embassy (if applying for a visa) or solely an officer at POE (if visitor with visa waiver passport only) that she intends to leave the host country after her temporary visit.

In this regard:

A. You have less time to satisfy doubts of the officer at POE, who (for lack of time and resources) may decide that it's safer to deny you entry (because you failed to convince him that your intent was indeed to have temp. visit);

B. There is no risk of appearing as if one was trying to sneak into the country when applying for tourist visa from abroad (why would they apply for tourist visa from abroad if they had intention to sneak in?), and therefore, IF (that's big IF) one is denied the tourist visa there is no particular problem in future, that person can always come back and try to overcome denial. Or, that same person may even travel to Canada under visa waiver, if their circumstances change (let's say they divorce/ separate from significant other and no longer have dual intent and thus no need to prove that they will leave Canada after a brief visit).

It is very unfortunate that I have to go to such length to explain something that should have been self evident to anyone with common sense and basic understanding of the visa waiver versus tourist visa concepts. But at some point I had to let others know what is the worth of all these childish Oh, he has no clue!, Oh, I am such a genius, I know better!, Oh, he is so profoundly wrong, but I am so right! exclamations here.

Ignored member said:
Now as for the practical aspect of how this applies: your post is the very first time I have ever heard anyone, anywhere claim that ETA visitors are subject to more checking or concerns in this respect (or that for some reason an ETA visitor should be less confident about arriving and asking for admission). Quite the contrary, all the comments I've heard point to CBSA officers posing more questions, in more detail, to TRV holders (despite that information already having been provided [because hint hint they are checking]) - although very few of the comments I've heard have complained about that being aggressive or problematic, possibly because my contacts were telling the truth (sample bias).
My contacts... truth.... Jesus.... Liars burn in Hell..... I'm Holier than Though.....

Yawn.... Grow up. Get some life experience. Get wise (not smarty pants but mature) and talk sensibly if you want to earn respect and be taken seriously.

Ignored member said:
Perhaps your sources of information have far more experience (personal and reported) with this particular circumstance than mine, which I'll admit is entirely anecdotal - but based on your history, I doubt that.
See above. This will be my last response to you in this forum.

***someone who obtains temp. visa abroad (and informs immigration or consular officials of their personal situation), and is granted a temp. visitor visa can confidently go to Canada and ask for admission at POE, while someone coming on Visa Waiver must understand that whatever concerns POE officer may have must be satisfied on the spot.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What exactly is profoundly uninformed? Which one of my above statements are incorrect?
whereas as visa-waiver visitor it can be presumed that you are taking advantage of your visa waiver passport in order to avoid being grilled and properly vetted at foreign embassy, where you could request tourist visa and steadfastly face any questions to allow the decision to be made without rush.

NOTE: Some non-immigrants were denied admission at the border precisely because they had visa-waiver passport (especially in cases involving close/spousal relationship with PR or Citizen of host country), which made them appear as if they were trying to evade the rules and sneak in into the country without proper vetting and getting appropriate visa (and those very people would probably avoid such fate, had they walked into the embassy and asked for a tourist visa, or other visa relevant to the purpose of the trip, which anyone can do, even if they are from visa-waiver country: you can still apply for and get a tourist visa as a citizen of country who can visit the host without that visa).
It is profoundly uninformed, indeed stupid, to claim that visa waiver passport holders will be "presumed to be taking advantage" of their passport to avoid being properly vetted.

I don't even know if it's possible to apply for a TRV if from a visa waiver country - the government clearly tells you NOT to apply for one if not needed. Because they are not 'evading any rules', nor attempting to sneak into the country without getting the proper visa - because visa waiver means that no visa (but instead the ETA) IS the proper visa for most visits. (Leaving aside which types of visits to require a visa - but even work and study permits don't result in a visa, but issuance of an ETA).

The claim that people who do not need visa were denied "precisely because they had visa-waiver passport" is just silly.