+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discrimination possible in Warsaw Processing Office?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Nothing applied for yet; but I know by law any child born abroad to a Canadian parent is granted citizenship at birth. It's a matter of applying for the Proof of Citizenship and receiving the certificate.
It is basically true but you should start the process NOW by getting the documents prepared and by getting in touch with the consular section at the Embassy.

I repeat, NOW.

Also some of the docs needed will be Russian docs (eg including passport*, birth certificate, etc, and translations/notarized copies where required). That can take time too (although not that bad in at least Moscow).

You can apply for the certificate and on basis of that application, for a passport (temporary) for child, and in rare cases (of which this may be one) a facilitation visa (emergency only inserted in Russian *passport). Facilitation visas are so rare I've not actually seen or heard of one being issued - but did hear it referred to by Moscow consular section (not me, an acquaintance).

*Why I noted that getting Russian passport for the child is a good idea. At some point will be needed anyway because ... Russia generally requires that Russian citizens depart using a Russian passport. Expect this not to be superfast right now.

Contact the consular service.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: armoured

MrJackpots

Jun 6, 2022
That's taking like 17 months these days. You want to submit the application asap.

You will also want to explore applying for a temp passport for the child so that they can travel to Canada before the citizenship certificat is available.

Child cannot travel to Canada without a Canadian passport.
Yes, me and wife are aware and will be starting these documents as soon as possible. Thank you.
We just have no idea when the PR will be done - visa also potentially difficult as officer needs proof that she would leave Canada at the end of the period. Hard to prove that if she's coming with child and PR application in progress - so we would have to convince that this is a humanitarian situation similar to Afghanistan.

Reactions: scylla

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
visa also potentially difficult as officer needs proof that she would leave Canada at the end of the period. Hard to prove that if she's coming with child and PR application in progress
I would not spend extra time on this, write brief request to issue visitor visa on basis PR application and child (yes H&C) and hope for the best. Include of course sentence to effect she will leave if not approved. It's all going to be perfectly clear so you're going to basically be relying upon leniency.

Canuck11

Star Member
Nov 13, 2021
I don't want to stir any controversy, but I am trying to get my Russian spouse out of Russia as quickly as possible considering the hell it's becoming, and that our first child was just born there. Our Spousal Sponsorship application was submitted in August of 2021 and since April, my wife's eligibility and background check are not started yet (post-medical exam). We are aware that Poland's relations with Russia are extremely negative and I am worried that this may affect her file getting delayed in some way. I am curious if anyone can offer any insight if in PR application discrimination can occur on the basis of nationality.
We are in the same scenario. My wife is from Russia and our PR application was submitted in November of 2021 - eligibility and background check both at "not started".

MrJackpots

Jun 6, 2022
We are in the same scenario. My wife is from Russia and our PR application was submitted in November of 2021 - eligibility and background check both at "not started".
Sorry to hear. We shall suffer the stress together as this gets worse and worse. Wife and I were also discussing a permanent flight out of Russia to Mexico via Turkey and then doing all the PR processing there. Mexico allows 180 days of visa-free stay.

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
Sorry to hear. We shall suffer the stress together as this gets worse and worse. Wife and I were also discussing a permanent flight out of Russia to Mexico via Turkey and then doing all the PR processing there. Mexico allows 180 days of visa-free stay.
You can stay in Turkey. Rent out any apartments and you get pr for the length of your rent , 12 months usually

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I repeat, best first step is likely to get spouse out of Russia.

Is the child a citizen?

Keep at your MP. Contact them often - not so often to be considered a crazy person but keep asking. Write to Minister. Write to leaders of opposition/critics (shadow ministers). MPPs. Write to Ambassador. Whoever else you can think of.
The child and mother aren’t in immediate danger so leaving Russia if they have a place to live and family would probably be the best option if they don’t live near the Ukraine border. Would be tough for any of the people you suggested to intervene when most on that list can’t help people who are actually in imminent danger. Contacting an MP often when you know they can’t intervene doesn’t make sense. Contact them once and see what support they can provide and go from there is a better option. Many are in Afghanistan with a bounty on their head and still are facing delays.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What happens if it takes over 180 days? Are they in a safe place currently? The fact that Canada has reduced diplomatic relations can slowdown processing. IRCCWarsaw office won’t slow your processing down. Have you started applying for your child’s recognition of citizenship and looked into getting emergency travel documents? Your child will need a Russian passport first.

Once your child gets their Russian passport and temporary travel documents you likely have a higher chance of getting approved for a TRV. The fact that you have a child and that your application is taking a long time have lead to TRV approvals for many spouses. If you want to leave once your child gets a Russian passport I would suggest relocating to a city close to where there is a Canadian embassy in order to be able to get temporary documents for your child.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The child and mother aren’t in immediate danger so leaving Russia if they have a place to live and family would probably be the best option if they don’t live near the Ukraine border.
You keep responding to things I've written with statements that do not contradict things I've said.

To wit: this thread, where multiple times I have written "get out."

Do I need to be more clear than that somehow?

Would be tough for any of the people you suggested to intervene when most on that list can’t help people who are actually in imminent danger. Contacting an MP often when you know they can’t intervene doesn’t make sense. Contact them once and see what support they can provide and go from there is a better option. Many are in Afghanistan with a bounty on their head and still are facing delays.
I have direct experience with this and you are simply wrong, from both perspective of MP's office and from depts of government that respond to MP's requests, multiple requests can make a difference: 'one time' requests are frequently treated as simple inquiries by the office, most basic response possible, and forgotten. This is one basic technique they use to 'handle' the volume of requests (anyone who requests only once does not have a serious issue).

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Not always, but sometimes.

That said: I have clarified multiple times, MPs cannot "influence" what is happening directly. They inquire, and when those inquiries get specific (eg if escalated beyond the basic inquiries route), government depts do respond to them, and sometimes they do prioritize dealing with these requests.

That does NOT guarantee a positive response, nor a rapid response, but multiple requests can and do have an impact. (I suppose I need to clarify: not always, far from it). And because it is not a guarantee, it absolutely should not be the only thing an applicant/spouse does (repeat: get out).

Now more caveats: when I say "often", I mean periodically, like once or twice a month (max), not daily. Applicants/sposnors contacting MP's must be careful of not being allocated to the 'crazy person' list - then they will be ignored.

And another is that making excessive requests for routine files (within the normal processing times for example) will also not do anything. This applies to cases where there is a reasonable and plausible case for 'additional attention.'

You may disagree whether the case of (putative) Canadian citizens and their parents in a state of war is or is not something of interest to an MP. On this, as with other topics, you retain the right to be wrong.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She can leave to third countries. Turkey, Thailand don't require visas. There are others of course.
I agree with this option. If your family can afford or you can support them to live in a developing country, do it. It’s much better over all.

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
we got a reply that our marriage is not genuine lol and we have 30 days to prove it's truthful.
i'm thinking of collecting everything plus i will buy a ticket to Canada for mid December, and if we send everything next week - could they review everything until i fly out so husb has a decision already?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
we got a reply that our marriage is not genuine lol and we have 30 days to prove it's truthful.
i'm thinking of collecting everything plus i will buy a ticket to Canada for mid December, and if we send everything next week - could they review everything until i fly out so husb has a decision already?
Well it's possible but very uncertain how long it might take.

It sounds like you got a PFL, take this very seriously. Don't know anything about your relationship or whether there are red flags of some sort, but if they provide any hints, make sure to respond to those.

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021

It sounds like you got a PFL, take this very seriously. Don't know anything about your relationship or whether there are red flags of some sort, but if they provide any hints, make sure to respond to those.
Taking into account that our enquiry was urgent I hope it will be fast.
They said in the letter provide us with checks, communication, photos together, letters and etc. That was the hint?)
I’m also thinking of showing a photo of like my clothes in our bedroom, cosmetics and such.
I’m only afraid of possible closed borders, that would be awful if they decide to do so

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021

And what is PFL?