+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discrimination possible in Warsaw Processing Office?

MrJackpots

Jun 6, 2022
I don't want to stir any controversy, but I am trying to get my Russian spouse out of Russia as quickly as possible considering the hell it's becoming, and that our first child was just born there. Our Spousal Sponsorship application was submitted in August of 2021 and since April, my wife's eligibility and background check are not started yet (post-medical exam). We are aware that Poland's relations with Russia are extremely negative and I am worried that this may affect her file getting delayed in some way. I am curious if anyone can offer any insight if in PR application discrimination can occur on the basis of nationality.

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
it's for sure CUAET visas go first right now. There are nearly 600k applications with only 255k approved so far.
we have been stuck there since May 2021. Medical expired, no new one was asked for... it's hell :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't want to stir any controversy, but I am trying to get my Russian spouse out of Russia as quickly as possible considering the hell it's becoming, and that our first child was just born there.
Get her out. Now.

Our Spousal Sponsorship application was submitted in August of 2021 and since April, my wife's eligibility and background check are not started yet (post-medical exam).
I would note: expect security checks for Russian citizens to take longer now.

I am curious if anyone can offer any insight if in PR application discrimination can occur on the basis of nationality.
Simple answer right now is: low priority, high high high demand, as Ukraine programs have been given clear priority. Government can make decisions about which programs take priority.

And keep in mind: what is benefit of alleging or even proving 'discrimination'? In context of approving visas and PR applications, discrimination on basis of nationality (citizenship) is not forbidden. It's right there in the process (some citizenships benefit from visa waivers, some do not - that is, of course, discrimination).

There's a mistaken belief in Canada that just saying the word 'discrimination' automatically solves some problem, or proves that government has done something impermissible. It is true in some contexts, and in others it is not.

I mean, sure speak to a lawyer if you have extra money.

Now, if you want to take a path that might have some legs: if your child is a citizen, emphasize the need to get that Canadian citizen out with her child. Reunificaiton and avoiding consular cases is something government does have as a priority. Still better to work on that from outside Russia right now.

MrJackpots

Jun 6, 2022
Get her out. Now.

I would note: expect security checks for Russian citizens to take longer now.

Simple answer right now is: low priority, high high high demand, as Ukraine programs have been given clear priority. Government can make decisions about which programs take priority.

And keep in mind: what is benefit of alleging or even proving 'discrimination'? In context of approving visas and PR applications, discrimination on basis of nationality (citizenship) is not forbidden. It's right there in the process (some citizenships benefit from visa waivers, some do not - that is, of course, discrimination).

There's a mistaken belief in Canada that just saying the word 'discrimination' automatically solves some problem, or proves that government has done something impermissible. It is true in some contexts, and in others it is not.

I mean, sure speak to a lawyer if you have extra money.

Now, if you want to take a path that might have some legs: if your child is a citizen, emphasize the need to get that Canadian citizen out with her child. Reunificaiton and avoiding consular cases is something government does have as a priority. Still better to work on that from outside Russia right now.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Regarding the discrimination question, it was merely to ask about the possibility if the clerks in Warsaw office may put her file somewhere out of sight and simply not address it... this causes distress.
Can you please clarify your last point - I'm not sure in what capacity I may speed up her PR or Visa within Canada apart from talking to the local MP, which I've already done.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can you please clarify your last point - I'm not sure in what capacity I may speed up her PR or Visa within Canada apart from talking to the local MP, which I've already done.
I repeat, best first step is likely to get spouse out of Russia.

Is the child a citizen?

Keep at your MP. Contact them often - not so often to be considered a crazy person but keep asking. Write to Minister. Write to leaders of opposition/critics (shadow ministers). MPPs. Write to Ambassador. Whoever else you can think of.

MrJackpots

Jun 6, 2022
I repeat, best first step is likely to get spouse out of Russia.

Is the child a citizen?

Keep at your MP. Contact them often - not so often to be considered a crazy person but keep asking. Write to Minister. Write to leaders of opposition/critics (shadow ministers). MPPs. Write to Ambassador. Whoever else you can think of.
Child is a citizen by my birthright as a Canadian, wife is not a citizen - she can't leave unless PR or Visa is approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Regarding the discrimination question, it was merely to ask about the possibility if the clerks in Warsaw office may put her file somewhere out of sight and simply not address it... this causes distress.
Unfortunately there's really no way to speed up processing. MPs don't have the power to have your application be prioritized over others so that it's processed faster.

Processing times are slower everywhere right now (not just through Warsaw). IRCC is still dealing with a backlog of applications due to COVID.

Agreed she should try to leave if she can and wait out processing elsewhere.

Good luck.

Reactions: valvlad

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately there's really no way to speed up processing. MPs don't have the power to have your application be prioritized over others so that it's processed faster.
Note on this: I agree an MP cannot directly 'influence' the process or have the power to get an application processed faster.

But an MP can ask questions of IRCC, and - if the MP thinks it is warranted - ask questions of the Minister's office. Or even raise it in parliament.

And sometimes those questions do result in files being processed or decisions being made.

And even more rarely, those questions (public or direct to Minister's office, etc) result in some attention being paid by the government (and hecne eventually 'the administration') to issues of policy, including things like prioritization.

I should emphasize: most inquiries through MP's offices will get nohting more than routine answers, because in fact they are routine. This is especially true of inquiries about applications that are still within the normal timeframe.

That said: it's a democracy, you have the right to ask your MP, and some MP's do actually try and occasionally get results. Expectations should be low: because most inquiries are routine and/or many inquiries are actually about decisions / processes that are handled correctly (albeit not from perspective of applicants). And it does also get MP's to pay some attention to issues that matter to Canadians.

Also, it is something that can be done and potentially has some impact, as opposed to so many other pointless activities.

But to emphasize again: expectations should indeed be low.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Note on this: I agree an MP cannot directly 'influence' the process or have the power to get an application processed faster.

But an MP can ask questions of IRCC, and - if the MP thinks it is warranted - ask questions of the Minister's office. Or even raise it in parliament.

And sometimes those questions do result in files being processed or decisions being made.

And even more rarely, those questions (public or direct to Minister's office, etc) result in some attention being paid by the government (and hecne eventually 'the administration') to issues of policy, including things like prioritization.

I should emphasize: most inquiries through MP's offices will get nohting more than routine answers, because in fact they are routine. This is especially true of inquiries about applications that are still within the normal timeframe.

That said: it's a democracy, you have the right to ask your MP, and some MP's do actually try and occasionally get results. Expectations should be low: because most inquiries are routine and/or many inquiries are actually about decisions / processes that are handled correctly (albeit not from perspective of applicants). And it does also get MP's to pay some attention to issues that matter to Canadians.

Also, it is something that can be done and potentially has some impact, as opposed to so many other pointless activities.

But to emphasize again: expectations should indeed be low.
I do agree with this.

I just very very strongly feel that no one should be counting on this as their only solution for the Warsaw office right now. Best case scenario, this is Plan B. They need to have a Plan A.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She can leave to third countries. Turkey, Thailand don't require visas. There are others of course.
The issue the OP is facing right now is the availability of flights and also the cost of flights. It's a madhouse right now. Having said that, I would do what it takes to get out.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I just very very strongly feel that no one should be counting on this as their only solution for the Warsaw office right now. Best case scenario, this is Plan B. They need to have a Plan A.
Fully, 100% agree.

And that first steps are to get out.

MrJackpots

Jun 6, 2022
Quick important question: what have you applied for and received to confirm child is a citizen?
Nothing applied for yet; but I know by law any child born abroad to a Canadian parent is granted citizenship at birth. It's a matter of applying for the Proof of Citizenship and receiving the certificate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nothing applied for yet; but I know by law any child born abroad to a Canadian parent is granted citizenship at birth. It's a matter of applying for the Proof of Citizenship and receiving the certificate.
That's taking like 17 months these days. You want to submit the application asap.

You will also want to explore applying for a temp passport for the child so that they can travel to Canada before the citizenship certificat is available.

Child cannot travel to Canada without a Canadian passport.

Reactions: canuck78