+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discrimination possible in Warsaw Processing Office?

Canuck11

Star Member
Nov 13, 2021
So is an approval of TRV for wife possible, even though there is next to none proof that she will return to Russia? We have written about compassionate reasons, and that she would never break immigration law - sounds flimsy on paper but not sure what else to include. We just want to get her over here wit h our kid to wait out the PR approval.
Possible but extremely unlikely IMO. We also wrote about compassionate grounds but they seem to not be considering these when looking at Russian applicants. If they person doesn't have reason to return to Russia that seems to be sufficient grounds to deny them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So is an approval of TRV for wife possible, even though there is next to none proof that she will return to Russia? We have written about compassionate reasons, and that she would never break immigration law - sounds flimsy on paper but not sure what else to include. We just want to get her over here wit h our kid to wait out the PR approval.
Think the fact that there is no current shelling in Russia and they aren’t drafting women will have an impact on your application. If you were sponsoring a husband your argument for a TRV would be stronger.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not that surprised that they got overwhelmed, but once again severely disappointed with IRCC/GAC that they haven't simply devoted the resources to catch up. It's eight months in now, and it was clear by mid-summer this wasn't going to be over quickly.

A generaly failing with our goverments: slow to catch on, slow to devote resources, slow to come up with solutions that speed things up enough to catch up.
I don’t know how you expect IRCC to devote resources when all the other offices are facing backlogs. There are no resources to transfer to Warsaw or offices without backlogs to transfer the work to. It is not that easy to hire and train people and it always comes with a cost. IRCC has hired almost 2000 new workers but that is unlikely to make a huge difference given the strain on the system and existing backlogs. When it comes to processing humanitarian permits/visas it is tough to justify spending huge amounts of money to bring in more people who may also need welfare, housing, etc. I would assume that the slow processing of CUAET is not something that the Canadian government views as a negative. They likely want to slow the influx of arrivals because many aren’t finding housing, are on welfare, can’t find low cost childcare that would allow many Ukrainians women to go to work, etc. Meanwhile Canada wants to be seen by their European partners as accepting an “unlimited” amount of Ukrainians because other countries are also dealing with the strain of accepting so many refugees into their countries as well. Politics is a game with a lot of strategy. I realize people’s families aren’t games but there is a lot of pressure on the system. Toronto had to rent a whole hotel for 80 million dollars a year because they have no more shelter space and tons of people arriving in Canada seeking asylum plus homeless Canadians. The federal government has had Afghan refugees in hotels some for months if not a year. Many people are arriving without family support or money from numerous places around the world and between inflation and housing prices it is very difficult for people to initially get settled. Still difficult once settled but getting into first home and getting first job is a major hurdle. The US literally shut the doors to Venezuelans because most were arriving with no money and no family in the US which meant that the government was going to be responsible for longterm housing costs. Most arriving from Latin America had family or friends in the US already so there wasn’t as much of an issue in previous years. There are similar issues in Canada. The US requires Ukranians to have a financial sponsor which is not the case in Canada so many applying to come to Canada don’t have family or friends in Canada. Many are in European countries where they are having difficulty finding housing or finding the cost of living unaffordable and are under the impression that Canada may be better. Realistically if you are planning on living off of welfare you will have huge difficulties living in most of Canada. Obviously better than a war zone but many may be under the false assumption that working will be necessary to have a decent quality of life. There are certainly educated people arriving who speak English or French that will integrate fairly easily but also a lot of single mothers with children, older people and so e without any English or French skills. The government really counts on families, friends, religious groups and community members from the person’s home country to help a lot with resettlement and integration but these groups can only absorb so many people at one time. Many groups are also supporting their members in Canada who are facing issues like food insecurity and may not have the extra time and money to support newcomers. Asylum and Roxham road are purposefully not talked about but numbers are quite high and the government doesn’t want to attract more asylum seekers. Planning for the next federal election has already started and with the conservative candidate being very right leaning and a likely recession things like the number of asylum seekers coming to Canada and spending on foreign aid and not those with status in Canada will likely be a focus in the next election. The Liberals want to walk a fine line by showing that we are compassionate, are an important partner in NATO but that they are prioritizing those with status in Canada given inflation and housing costs that are unaffordable, etc. As soon as Pollievre was elected campaigning for the next election essentially started.

All this to say that although I am sure it is extremely frustrating to personally deal with backlogs in the immigration system but Canada is still being very generous by running CUAET, waiving fees, provinces now offer welfare, access to healthcare, etc. when CUAET was originally only supposed to be a work program with only access to healthcare if you worked and no access to welfare. There are many people around the world who are also facing increased wait times for their immigration files. It is not limitted to Warsaw. Sending emails and webforms is not going to speed up processing for anyone. I assume that everyone is sending the same emails and webforms asking why there is a delay and when their application will be processed.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don’t know how you expect IRCC to devote resources when all the other offices are facing backlogs.
That's quite the rant. Might want to take a breath between sentences.

I stand by my point: while I'm willing to be reasonable about expectations (and some expectations really are unreasonable, I don't expect government to make everyone 'happy' nor think it's possible), I do expect government to demonstrate a minimum level of competency in implementing programs they announce. Or, if their announced programs exceed the capacity to deliver, to adjust them.

And this is yet another point where they haven't demonstrated that minimum level of competency. Note, I'm saying this eight months into a war.

We can argue about other points, like whether the program announced was well thought out, etc - and I don't claim to have complete information about that, including the points you raise [which I simply don't know but my impression is less catastrophic than what you claim - where I am, the Ukrainians I've run across seem to be handling quite well, and I don't know about the welfare situation]. But sorry, they've now had time to catch up, and they haven't.

Last edited:
Reactions: valvlad