+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficulties in Canada

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
LokiJr01 said:
While waiting for some good news (CIC please lower the EE cut off!), I was busy reading some blogs of applicants who documented their journey. It's really inspiring to see how their dreams came to reality in Canada.

What I learned is that migrating to a country requires resilience, patience, and some luck. You really need to let go of pride and the sense of entitlement because whatever you are from where you came from, they don't matter in Canada. You start from scratch...you need to mingle with the community, you need to prove your worth, your lifestyle needs to start off simple.

For me, it's a humbling experience. If you can rise above the difficulties, you'll come out a different person because you get to value many other aspects in life :)
That was extremely well said!

ronnieS

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-03-2016
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
upfront
LokiJr01 said:
While waiting for some good news (CIC please lower the EE cut off!), I was busy reading some blogs of applicants who documented their journey. It's really inspiring to see how their dreams came to reality in Canada.

What I learned is that migrating to a country requires resilience, patience, and some luck. You really need to let go of pride and the sense of entitlement because whatever you are from where you came from, they don't matter in Canada. You start from scratch...you need to mingle with the community, you need to prove your worth, your lifestyle needs to start off simple.

For me, it's a humbling experience. If you can rise above the difficulties, you'll come out a different person because you get to value many other aspects in life :)

Its better to learn this sooner then later !!!

coolhyd

Jun 1, 2012
I know people who started from scratch and they are millionaires. My mom's Uncle moved to Canada as a student in around 1975. He did Accounting diploma in Toronto. He had two options: take a job or work for himself. He went with the later.

He started a fish and chips stall in Toronto. Within one year, he started a grocery store. He made 70000 in two years. He had an option to either buy a house and settle down or invest somewhere else. He again took a chance. He started a second grocery store.

After around 5 years, he started a small motel. By the time he retired. He owned 3 big motels, couple of houses, few condos, few commercial properties in Toronto.

It is such an inspiring story for me.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
This is precisely the reason that they ask for Proof of Funds. One of the biggest stressors of immigrants is being able to afford things. If you show up to a new country with sufficient savings, you can reduce your stress and dissatisfaction as you slowly navigate and understand the system.

Conversely, if you are always struggling to meet ends meet, it can leave a bitter taste in your mouth and make you crave the comfort and security of your past life.

Cofca

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
54321 said:
Hello any and everyone,

Got my COPR in Mar-16 and currently living outside Canada, I have been searching and applying for jobs online in my career (industrial eng.) but so far no good news. In addition, two of my friends returned back from Canada after spending little over a year working what they described as "pointless menial jobs", and before leaving they both had decent experience (one in civil eng. 6+ and the other in mech. eng. 5+). When you read other peoples cases online you may ignore it but these two cases (in my real life - not online) can be a sort of 'wake-up call'. I also gather that companies/employers in Canada tend to ignore applicants who have no Canadian education and work experience. My concern is if there are others with similar experiences and what have they done to overcome such a situation.
I do understand you very well… listen, do not be affected by any negative comments here. Folks are stating their opinions just like you stated yours.

I think every immigrant should have a plan/motive when moving to a new country.

I am in line for a Canadian PR (my application is the process).. my motive is to do what I can within my first 3-4 years in Canada.

I hold a Master’s degree in Financial Economics, a Bachelor’s degree in Finance. I am a CFA Charterholder, a CPA (US), and a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA). I have 11 years’ experience in Wealth Management. I have been in the Americas for over 7 years. I left my beloved home country for an opportunity to earn some international experience. In my current job, I am a Portfolio Manager earning a net-of-tax pay of USD 120,000 per annum.

I am from an African country; you know what that means (no intention of causing a stink) – it means to 95% of people/employers, I rank last in the pecking order. It’s the harsh reality – I would advise every African and any other disadvantaged person to be prepared for this. My current job has allowed me to travel across the Americas, UK, Asia and Europe; during the time, I have met people with stereotypes and absurd opinions; but I don’t blame them – I blame the environment they grew in. I have seen clients who are hesitant when they get to know I come from ‘the continent’.

All what I am tryingto say is that, Canada is just the name of the country; individuals/Canadians living within Canada make the nation… You will meet individuals with stereotypes and in one way or the other; they will deny you opportunities because of how you talk, how you look and where you come from… You must be prepared well, you must have a plan, you must have a motive; Ask yourself; what do I want to achieve in this country? Give yourself a time limit and work towards that. When you have a goal, you aren’t going to suffer from the cold, you are not going to suffer from prejudice; your eyes and ears will be focused on the goal. Over the 7 years I have been in this part of the world (of which 2 I spent in London), I have suffered from prejudice, stereotypes, belittlement etc… but I had a goal right from the day I stepped out of my beloved country – I targeted to stay for 6-7 years, gather some international experience while saving for the future. I hung on because I knew 7 years is nothing; and actually it isn’t – my son, born the other day is now 5yrs... my salary started at USD 88,000; and I am glad there is (there will always be) a 5% of people that see how hard you work, believe in you and appreciate what you do (regardless of where you come from). I would not have hit the USD 120,000 without the 5%.

Going to Canada, I know my salary won’t be the same, I know I have I may not manage to get a job with the same title; I might have to take an Investment/Financial Analyst job at first… my net salary in USD may end-up being less than half of what I currently earn. BUT I HAVE A MOTIVE, A PLAN. To all those moving to Canada hoping to live there forever – perhaps you have placed your expectations high. You will never know if you can live somewhere forever until you get there and experience the life. Actually, for me, my best place to live is my home country in Africa – and honestly, I will be going back home after life in Canada (assuming I get the PR) – just need to have my kids’ names printed as Citizens of Canada.

Folks, get you goals/priorities right… and remember ‘ENGLISH IS NOT A MEASURE OF INTELLIGENCE’ if it was, almost all countries in Europe would be underdeveloped.

ronnieS

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-03-2016
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
upfront
Cofca said:
I do understand you very well… listen, do not be affected by any negative comments here. Folks are stating their opinions just like you stated yours.

I am in line for a Canadian PR (my application is the process).. my motive is to do what I can within my first 3-4 years in Canada.

I hold a Master’s degree in Financial Economics, a Bachelor’s degree in Finance. I am a CFA Charterholder, a CPA (US), and a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA). I have 11 years’ experience in Wealth Management. I have been in the Americas for over 7 years. I left my beloved home country for an opportunity to earn some international experience. In my current job, I am a Portfolio Manager earning a net-of-tax pay of USD 120,000 per annum.

I am from an African country; you know what that means (no intention of causing a stink) – it means to 95% of people/employers, I rank last in the pecking order. It’s the harsh reality – I would advise every African and any other disadvantaged person to be prepared for this. My current job has allowed me to travel across the Americas, UK, Asia and Europe; during the time, I have met people with stereotypes and absurd opinions; but I don’t blame them – I blame the environment they grew in. I have seen clients who are hesitant when they get to know I come from ‘the continent’.

All what I am tryingto say is that, Canada is just the name of the country; individuals/Canadians living within Canada make the nation… You will meet individuals with stereotypes and in one way or the other; they will deny you opportunities because of how you talk, how you look and where you come from… You must be prepared well, you must have a plan, you must have a motive; Ask yourself; what do I want to achieve in this country? Give yourself a time limit and work towards that. When you have a goal, you aren’t going to suffer from the cold, you are not going to suffer from prejudice; your eyes and ears will be focused on the goal. Over the 7 years I have been in this part of the world (of which 2 I spent in London), I have suffered from prejudice, stereotypes, belittlement etc… but I had a goal right from the day I stepped out of my beloved country – I targeted to stay for 6-7 years, gather some international experience while saving for the future. I hung on because I knew 7 years is nothing; and actually it isn’t – my son, born the other day is now 5yrs... my salary started at USD 88,000; and I am glad there is (there will always be) a 5% of people that see how hard you work, believe in you and appreciate what you do (regardless of where you come from). I would not have hit the USD 120,000 without the 5%.

Going to Canada, I know my salary won’t be the same, I know I have I may not manage to get a job with the same title; I might have to take an Investment/Financial Analyst job at first… my net salary in USD may end-up being less than half of what I currently earn. BUT I HAVE A MOTIVE, A PLAN. To all those moving to Canada hoping to live there forever – perhaps you have placed your expectations high. You will never know if you can live somewhere forever until you get there and experience the life. Actually, for me, my best place to live is my home country in Africa – and honestly, I will be going back home after life in Canada (assuming I get the PR) – just need to have my kids’ names printed as Citizens of Canada.

Folks, get you goals/priorities right… and remember ‘ENGLISH IS NOT A MEASURE OF INTELLIGENCE’ if it was, almost all countries in Europe would be underdeveloped.
Well said. +1 for you.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cofca said:

I hold a Master’s degree in Financial Economics, a Bachelor’s degree in Finance. I am a CFA
+1 for you

With your CFA and 11 yrs experience, i believe you have high chance to land a job in Canada. Headhunters like roberthalffinance etc will definitely help you.

All the best for your PR application

Honeyaustin

Jun 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
54321 said:
are they (local Canadians) approachable and willing to interact with newly arrived immigrants? (no prejudices)

Then why does the Canadian government keep accepting immigrants with education and experience?

work visa. student visa and immigration visa is one the biggest source of income for the government and it will continue to be at next half decade

Cofca

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
Hansdza said:
+1 for you

With your CFA and 11 yrs experience, i believe you have high chance to land a job in Canada. Headhunters like roberthalffinance etc will definitely help you.

All the best for your PR application
Thanks Hansdza, and thanks for sharing the link... it mean a lot, it mean a lot!!!!

Jul 2, 2016
Cofca said:
I understand you very well since I too am from "the Dark Continent" ... (nafurahasana) and only someone from "the continent" would have written like you did earlier. Unfortunately these are the shortcomings of mankind. I believe any person has to earn their respect despite the difficulties. On the bright side, the future is ours or "the continent's" - Mama Africa has a big smile!

Thanks to all who have taken their time to contribute honest opinions and suggestions and keeping the topic active to this point, this kind of discussion helps anyone to be prepared at least mentally for the future ahead.

Cofca

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
54321 said:
I understand you very well since I too am from "the Dark Continent" ... (nafurahasana) and only someone from "the continent" would have written like you did earlier. Unfortunately these are the shortcomings of mankind. I believe any person has to earn their respect despite the difficulties. On the bright side, the future is ours or "the continent's" - Mama Africa has a big smile!

Thanks to all who have taken their time to contribute honest opinions and suggestions and keeping the topic active to this point, this kind of discussion helps anyone to be prepared at least mentally for the future ahead.
It's so nice to know.. Are you from Ke or Tz?? nimefurahi sana pia!!!

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Cofca said:
You will meet individuals with stereotypes and in one way or the other; they will deny you opportunities because of how you talk, how you look and where you come from
For many recruiters, first impressions matter but "first contact" matters more. This includes your name, how you look and where you come from- all usually written on your resume/professional profile online/before an interview has actually begun.

I have a friend from the UK, a native English speaker, highly experienced and guaranteed to please once someone actually engages in conversation with them or actually reads their resume, but he now has an "ethnic" name and appearance, so very often his resume is overlooked and his "different" appearance garners more comment than his skills during interview. The ironic thing is when he used an English name and looked like an ordinary Joe, he never had this problem.

When employers aren't even willing to review a candidate's skillet based upon their name and what they look like, what hope do they have?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/how-an-ethnic-sounding-name-may-affect-the-job-hunt/article555082/
https://www.povertyactionlab.org/evaluation/discrimination-against-skilled-immigrants-canadian-labor-market
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blind-recruitment-marketplace-1.3462061
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/03/17/jobseekers-resort-to-resum-whitening-to-get-a-foot-in-the-door-study-shows.html

How did you overcome this "first contact" barrier?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Honeyaustin said:
work visa. student visa and immigration visa is one the biggest source of income for the government and it will continue to be at next half decade
Revenue from visas is hardly "one of the biggest source of income" for the Canadian economy. Take a look at the main drivers of the economy and you won't even see it listed:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/gdps04a-eng.htm

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
foodie69 said:
Is this a question for all of us or Cofca?
Cofca specifically mentioned having overcome such barriers but if you are in a position to elucidate on the matter then pray do tell.