+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficulties in Canada

shahkunalm

Hero Member
Jan 19, 2016
346
10
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
1121
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2015
Nomination.....
18-12-2015
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2016
Better to be realistic in approaching the situation.

Regards.
 

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
2,313
168
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
6221
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
shahkunalm said:
Better to be realistic in approaching the situation.

Regards.
care to elaborate?

thanks
 

sleepjunkie

Newbie
Jul 7, 2016
5
0
Hi everyone,

Here is a site I saw that is helpful in comparing the cost of living of where you are planning to reside in Canada against where you are from.

www dot numbeo dot com/cost-of-living/comparison dot jsp


Please note though that info found here are sourced through users of the site also.

Code:
Hope this helps!
;) ;) ;) ;)
 

johnjkjk

Hero Member
Mar 29, 2016
339
17
NOC Code......
2133
AOR Received.
Dec 2016
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2017 (passed)
VISA ISSUED...
May 2017 (Approved/CoPR Issued)
LANDED..........
Waiting...
sleepjunkie said:
Hi everyone,

Here is a site I saw that is helpful in comparing the cost of living of where you are planning to reside in Canada against where you are from.

www dot numbeo dot com/cost-of-living/comparison dot jsp


Please note though that info found here are sourced through users of the site also.

Code:
Hope this helps!
;) ;) ;) ;)
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Not very good news for me based upon a comparison of medium size cities in the UK and Canada.

Canada: Basic foodstuffs (fruit, vegetables, rice) +30-80% sport and leisure +100%, rent +30%, property +70-100% whilst salary -30%. So if the data is to be trusted (the UK costs seem to be reasonably accurate), I would be far worse off.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can only say this in term of Immigrating to Canada.. think about it thoroughly, be REALISTIC, listen to what people sez in this thread as most of them are accurate picture of living in Canada...

I would never recommend any of my ex colleagues to follow my path moving to Canada. I might be lucky but they might be not. I might be resilient but they might be not. Unless, If they don't have a good life in in their country, 100% no doubt I would recommend them to move to Canada..

I think that pretty much sums up everything I wanna say...
 

Database Admin

Star Member
Apr 17, 2009
57
6
There was a website called www.notcanada.com 5 years back, which I had seen and it gave a lot of reviews/interviews by people who said Canada is not a good place to work for skilled immigrants and has only low skilled positions open/available. Looks like the Canadian govt. shut it down as it was giving bad publicity to Canada. As far as my experience I had tried to move to Alberta using AINP and they had accepted the application at that time. After a few months they suddenly shut down the program without giving any reason and sent a denial letter to all applicants who applied after April 2009. There was talk of filing a lawsuit against AINP by attorney David Cohen, but not sure what happened after that. After that I never tried for canadian immigration nor recommend anyone to go to Canada.
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
54321 said:
Hello any and everyone,

Got my COPR in Mar-16 and currently living outside Canada, I have been searching and applying for jobs online in my career (industrial eng.) but so far no good news. In addition, two of my friends returned back from Canada after spending little over a year working what they described as "pointless menial jobs", and before leaving they both had decent experience (one in civil eng. 6+ and the other in mech. eng. 5+). When you read other peoples cases online you may ignore it but these two cases (in my real life - not online) can be a sort of 'wake-up call'. I also gather that companies/employers in Canada tend to ignore applicants who have no Canadian education and work experience. My concern is if there are others with similar experiences and what have they done to overcome such a situation.
This is a very wide topic and depends on person to person.
Not everyone will get jobs as soon as they land. but I have seen very close friends who cam and got jobs.

Let me put it this way:- People who really wanna work will get the job eventually. People who wanna just think that they will come to Canada and all employers here will be waiting for them, will give you 100's of excuses why they didn't end up with a job.

You will have to do a little of everything to get to the right place. Learn as much as you can. Talk to people in similar situation, learn from their experiences.

here are some pointers:

1. Make a nice resume and cover letter (get help from pro is you need help)
Note:- Every job positions needs a different resume, you cannot have one for all.
2. Create contacts with people and recruiters on linkdin. Some job opening never land to work job sites they are only forwarded to Recruitment agencies.
3. Be prepared to do off-stream jobs initially (FYI everyone does that).

Good luck.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kirtivsingh said:
here are some pointers:

1. Make a nice resume and cover letter (get help from pro is you need help)
Note:- Every job positions needs a different resume, you cannot have one for all.
2. Create contacts with people and recruiters on linkdin. Some job opening never land to work job sites they are only forwarded to Recruitment agencies.
3. Be prepared to do off-stream jobs initially (FYI everyone does that).

Good luck.
Not sure with everyone else, but for me

1. Didn't work. I spent more than 500 CAD for the so called "professional resume writer". Nothing happened. The problem is not the resumes. It's the hiring manager who read them (if they read them at all). Most of the time they hire somebody they (or their coworkers) know (or like)
2. This is TRUE.. Direct personal contact to Companies or even direct references are the Golden Tickets to land a job..
3. I would say 99% did it. I cooked sausage when I was doing my master's degree. Never done that kind of "paid" job before in my life. My family would be crazy if they knew what I was doing.. lol
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Hansdza said:
Not sure with everyone else, but for me

1. Didn't work. I spent more than 500 CAD for the so called "professional resume writer". Nothing happened. The problem is not the resumes. It's the hiring manager who read them (if they read them at all). Most of the time they hire somebody they (or their coworkers) know (or like)
2. This is TRUE.. Direct personal contact to Companies or even direct references are the Golden Tickets to land a job..
3. I would say 99% did it. I cooked sausage when I was doing my master's degree. Never done that kind of "paid" job before in my life. My family would be crazy if they knew what I was doing.. lol
AS i said in the note section- 1 resume cannot be used for all. I learnt the hard way. that only thing done by HR or HM is key word search. if you put all the necessary key words in the job description in your resume your probability increases. For instance I have active directory experience in my resume. Thr was a job position which needed LDAP I thought AD is enough for them to understand that I know LDAP as its a part of AD. But my resume wasn't short listed. Than a recruiter called me after few days for the same position and re wrote my resume with key words. and Guess what I was called for interview.

The system is to be blamed for.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's true. Funny thing is now I am receiving tons of resumes for my company for the position we never advertised. I can tell you, the luck of your job search lies on the hands of people receiving/reading your resume. Mind you most of them are NOT professional/highly trained HR who can spot even a single small typos in your resumes. Less than 20 seconds to read resume but It takes more than 4 hours to create it. You can "acrobatically" inflate your resume or super tailor it to nail every single keywords listed on the job postings but hey.. at the end of the day it is the reader who decide whether she/he like it or not.
 

Database Admin

Star Member
Apr 17, 2009
57
6
People wanting to move to canada from US or UK or any other country should read this article even though it is old and then make a decision.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/land-of-misfortune/
 

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
1,512
300
Best thing I ever did was coming to Canada. I left my home country Switzerland 16 years ago and never looked back. I was given awesome opportunities here and grabbed them with both hands. Will be forever grateful for what I have received here.

So this is something positive, it exists, not everything is that bad about Canada!
 

riasat.abir

Hero Member
Aug 9, 2012
669
30
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2174
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
54321 said:
Hello any and everyone,

Got my COPR in Mar-16 and currently living outside Canada, I have been searching and applying for jobs online in my career (industrial eng.) but so far no good news. In addition, two of my friends returned back from Canada after spending little over a year working what they described as "pointless menial jobs", and before leaving they both had decent experience (one in civil eng. 6+ and the other in mech. eng. 5+). When you read other peoples cases online you may ignore it but these two cases (in my real life - not online) can be a sort of 'wake-up call'. I also gather that companies/employers in Canada tend to ignore applicants who have no Canadian education and work experience. My concern is if there are others with similar experiences and what have they done to overcome such a situation.
This might be a proper section for such thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php?action=collapse;c=6;sa=expand#6
 

pie_vancouver

Hero Member
Jun 12, 2014
963
86
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2008
VISA ISSUED...
2009
LANDED..........
2010
If you don't have perseverance then Canada is not for you.
 

LokiJr01

Hero Member
Apr 13, 2016
587
26
120
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
1114
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
While waiting for some good news (CIC please lower the EE cut off!), I was busy reading some blogs of applicants who documented their journey. It's really inspiring to see how their dreams came to reality in Canada.

What I learned is that migrating to a country requires resilience, patience, and some luck. You really need to let go of pride and the sense of entitlement because whatever you are from where you came from, they don't matter in Canada. You start from scratch...you need to mingle with the community, you need to prove your worth, your lifestyle needs to start off simple.

For me, it's a humbling experience. If you can rise above the difficulties, you'll come out a different person because you get to value many other aspects in life :)