+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Detailed] Soft Landing by road via Windsor Tunnel - Frustrating Experience

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Most finances cars can’t be imported. Did you speak to your finance company or bank? Do you have the title?
Hi, I'm not importing it when I do the soft landing. Importing is only when I move to Canada which will be after couple of months from the soft landing. When I do the soft landing, even if the car is on loan its okay right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm not importing it when I do the soft landing. Importing is only when I move to Canada which will be after couple of months from the soft landing. When I do the soft landing, even if the car is on loan its okay right?
Yes. You will be Paying off the loan then before moving?

MADHU58923333

Mar 6, 2020
Hey @dumdum_yo did things work out ok for you finally? Were you able to get your PR cards by updating the address over the phone?
I also did a soft landing yesterday at windsor tunnel and i was not allowed to get the PR cards and was asked to update the address after coming to canada and then get the PR cards .They wont send it to friend's address as it was not your address.

I came back after finishing the landing formalities.I am not sure how to update my canadian address and can you please detail the steps after that as you did before.I reside in Michigam and plan to move end of this year there.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yikes sorry to hear that @MADHU58923333 , am planning on doing the same next weekend at Windsor :(
I think you can call the CIC helpline and update your address to send the cards to

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi! Yes. Everything worked out well. I had done my landing in May 2019. Few weeks later I got my PR delivered to my friends place in Canada who then sent it to me in the US. I formally moved end of Feb 2020. I will post my experience of car import and final documentation once I am settled in properly.
@dumdum_yo Thanks so much for confirming!
Did you have to call the CIC helpline for the address from within Canada or with a Canadian phone number or something like that? Or can you call from US also.. did they ask any questions or just sent it over without any concerns (unlike the border folks :| )

HelloCanada910

Star Member
Sep 10, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
07-11-2019
Hi! Yes. Everything worked out well. I had done my landing in May 2019. Few weeks later I got my PR delivered to my friends place in Canada who then sent it to me in the US. I formally moved end of Feb 2020. I will post my experience of car import and final documentation once I am settled in properly.
Hi @dumdum_yo , Congratulations on moving to Canada.
In the first post back in May 2019, you mentioned that your wife was pregnant. so you would have taken your new born baby to Canada in Feb 2020.

Would like to know the information of adding the baby to PR and also things to note / things to do for taking the baby to Canada.
Did you add any baby stuff to goods to follow while you were soft landing? if not how did you manage to take the additional baby stuff?

Last edited:

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi, I'm planning to drive to Canada from USA for a soft landing by end of March. I'll be driving from Chicago, IL. Which point of entry is suggested? Also any preferred day and time? Is weekends okay to cross?
I'll be driving my car which is on loan but I'll be importing it when I move to settle in the next 2 months. Is there any extra paperwork I would need for driving a car on loan? What are the things I should take care of for the landing, in terms of documents also?
Anybody any insights on this? Any leads will be of great help? Thanks

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Anybody any insights on this? Any leads will be of great help? Thanks
You don't need anything to drive the financed car during soft landing. Only when you plan to make the permanent move and import the car, you will have to pay off the loan and have the title in hand. Importing a car is a long process so read up about it on other threads.

Last edited:

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
You don't need anything to drive the financed car during soft landing. Only when you plan to make the permanent move and import the car, you will have to pay off the loan and have the title in hand. Importing a car is a long process so read up about it on other threads.
Thank you so much. Sure, I will check that up. Also, I would like to know about the documents needed to carry and what all are asked for at the border? I was planning to soft land on a weekend at the border by driving? Will I be able to finish up all formalities and get the SIN also on a Saturday?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thank you so much. Sure, I will check that up. Also, I would like to know about the documents needed to carry and what all are asked for at the border? I was planning to soft land on a weekend at the border by driving? Will I be able to finish up all formalities and get the SIN also on a Saturday?
Service Canada office where you apply for SIN will be closed on weekends. But that's okay. You don't need SIN until you actually start working in Canada.

There are many landing experience threads on this forum, just read through those. Below is my own.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-experience-and-returning-with-avr.612464/

MADHU58923333

Mar 6, 2020
I finished the landing formalities at Windsor ambassador bridge.I didn't get my PR CARD as they said they cant update my friends address and you need to get your own address.We got the address now ,but stuck in USA due to covid 19.How to apply for change of address ? Can any one shed some light? I cant call IRCC from USA .How to call from USA to uodate address?

HelloCanada910

Star Member
Sep 10, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
07-11-2019
I finished the landing formalities at Windsor ambassador bridge.I didn't get my PR CARD as they said they cant update my friends address and you need to get your own address.We got the address now ,but stuck in USA due to covid 19.How to apply for change of address ? Can any one shed some light? I cant call IRCC from USA .How to call from USA to uodate address?
I used Textnow app for calling and got a Canada number, called 1-888-242-2100. You can try this.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
I called from US using Google Voice and added *67 in front of the number (I believe 613-944-4000). This tricks it to look like a Canadian call. Good Luck.

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm planning to travel to Toronto in June 2020. Also export/import my car as well. Has anyone traveled from Chicago to Detroit.
1. After the export formalities I should be crossing the border to Canada through the Ambassador bridge? I'm moving on COPR, they do process that as well the import of the car right?
2. How was the drive from Chicago to Detroit?
3. If my crossing is on a Monday, should I send the ITN and scanned title to the US customs port on Friday or even before that? Are weekends considered for the 72 hrs?
4. This is out of topic, but it will be great if someone could help me find a temporary accommodation in Brampton or Mississauga for a month or two.

Thank you in advance.