+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Detailed] Soft Landing by road via Windsor Tunnel - Frustrating Experience

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Hi all,

I would like to first thank this forum for all the helpful people and vast pool of good information. It has helped me a lot. I wanted to share my experience of soft landing by road via Windsor Tunnel. It will be a detailed post so bear with me but I hope it helps someone. I wrote certain pieces of this post in blue that made me think that the Immigration Officer was either not fully trained or was new and some info I received from him may not be entirely accurate. Continue reading and you will soon find out.

Tunnel Detroit to Windsor:
I had Windsor, Ontario entered in Google Maps on my phone and the directions took me through the tunnel. Tunnel has a speed limit of 40 km/hr. The toll was USD 5 going in to Canada and USD 4.5 coming back to US through the tunnel.

IMO @ Tunnel Exit (CBSA)
We reached around noon on a Friday and there was no lines or wait. I drove up to the booth and had my passports ready.

IMO: What are you here for?
Me: To complete our landing procedure.

IMO: Are you moving to Canada right now?
Me: No but we will move in next few months.

IMO: Do you have your Goods to Follow form filled out?
Me: Yes, I have it ready.

IMO: Was this your first time through the tunnel?
Me: Yes.

Me (reading the sign about firearms): I don't have any firearms but I have a paper cutter that I didn't intend to bring but is in the car.
IMO: No problem, that's fine.

IMO: Are you bringing any cash today?
Me: About USD 2K to open a bank account.

IMO asks me to lower the rear windows to peek inside the car and see if there was anyone else accompanying us. IMO asked me to pull up my car to a line which was just few feet ahead - probably to read and note the vehicle number plate. IMO steps out of the booth, puts a yellow slip under the windshield wiper and instructs me to head to the building on the right hand side where there was a sign stating Immigration.

IMO@Customs (CBSA)
We drive into the building as instructed and park at the designated spot. There was a sign to shut off the engine which I did. Two officers walk towards us from a seating booth in the corner. They took the yellow slip, peeked inside the car and asked if we are moving today. I said no we are not. They kept the yellow slip and asked us to go inside the building and showed us the directions to the building door.

IMO@Immigration (CBSA)
When we entered the building there was no wait and an IMO asks us come see him on his booth. I hand him our passports and mention that we are here to complete our landing procedure. Here is the conversation:

IMO: Do you have your CoPR?
Me: Yes (handing over the CoPRs)

IMO: Are you moving today?
Me: No.

IMO: Do you have your Goods to Follow form ready?
Me: Yes (handing over the form).

IMO (points at the address on GTF form): Whose address is this?
Me: It is my friends. That's where we will be staying when we move.

Me: I have few questions for you.
IMO: Go ahead.
Me: Where do I list the vehicle details?
IMO: Do you have any loans or lease on the vehicle?
Me: No, I have the title on my name and it is 100% owned.
IMO (points me to the Conveyances section B4): List the vehicles you plan to import
Me: I don't plan to import the car today but at a later date.
IMO: Yes, the boxes for Goods to Follow is checked in the B4 form so that's not a problem.

I take a moment to enter the vehicle make, model, year, VIN number and approx. value in CDN.

IMO: Strikes out blank spaces in the GTF (BSF186A) and asks me to add the value of all the items listed and write total at the bottom.

IMO: Have a seat and I will call you

IMO starts his review and starts working on his computer.
From time to time, he asks few questions to his supervisor/colleague which made me wonder if he was new or under training...

After few mins IMO calls me to his booth and asks me to initial on couple of places on the CoPR and sign and date at the bottom. Does the same with my wife's. Hands back a copy of the CoPR, a stamped copy of the GTF, and passport with a stamp on it with CBSA and a reference number on it. No more questions/details asked on the Goods to follow so it worked as I wanted to. I also notice that the IMO struk out the one-time landing visa.

I had few other questions for him.

Me: How do I re-enter Canada?
IMO (points to the stamp in my passport): This will work.
Me: Will this work at airport too?
IMO: Yes, The IMO can look up this in the system and you should be good to return.
Me: I thought I had to apply for a PR Card and without which I cannot come in by air.
IMO: Your PR card application is done.
Me: I had prepared IMM5444E form for PR card application.
IMO: That is not needed. We took care of it and it will be sent to the address you provided.
Me: So what status will I enter in Canada until I have my PR Card.
IMO: Whatever was your previous status.
(I was confused at this point about my PR card)
Me (showing my Canada visitor visa): What happens to this visitor visa now?
IMO: You don't need that anymore and strikes across the visitor visa.
(I cringe :eek: as I was not sure if that was the right thing for him to do)

Me: I have a pet dog. What is the procedure to bring the dog in with us when we move?
IMO: Just make sure the rabies vaccines is up to date and bring the documentation to support it.

IMO then suggests that we may want to get the SIN & Health Card number issued. (I was confused about the Health Card comment). The IMO stepped out of his booth and walked with me outside of the building and showed me the directions to the office for SIN (2nd floor) and Health Card (3rd floor). It later turned out that the SIN office is on the 1st floor and I can't apply for Health Card until after 3 months of moving.

SIN / Service Canada Centre
It was just couple of blocks from the CBSA building but I chose to drive (pregnant wife). The address is 400 City Hall Square E #103, Windsor, ON N9A 7K6, Canada. I parked on McDougall Street right in front of the rear entrance door. For parking, I downloaded the Passport Canada app (mentioned on the parking meters) and entered the zone and spot numbers. Parking was about USD 2.75 for 2 hours (max.).

We went in to the SIN office and went to the lady at the reception. She added our names in the queue and asked us to wait until our name is called. We had to wait for about 30 mins or so. Our name was called by a SIN office lady and we went her booth. I mentioned we are here to apply for a new SIN. I handed her our passports and the CoPR. Our copy of CoPR, to my astonishment, was not stamped and signed. However the passports were stamped. The lady asked us to go back and get that sorted with CBSA and come back again. She made note in their queue system to hold our spot so we don't wait another 30-40 minutes when we return.

Back to CBSA
When I went to CBSA, the IMO who worked on my case was not there and I walked up to another IMO who was open. I told them about my situation and they mentioned the name of the previous IMO and rolled their eyes. They reviewed my case and asked me to initial at same two spots and sign at the bottom of the CoPR as the previous IMO had asked. They said the stamp on my passport was also upside down --- it doesn't matter but rolled their eyes again. My wife completed her CoPR signatures.

I then asked all of my prior questions again to the new IMO since I was certain that the previous IMO responses may be inaccurate at this point. Here is the conversation:

Me: Pet dog importing (see above).
IMO: Same response

Me: Can I apply for a Health Card today?
IMO: No, you will be eligible after 90 days of moving.

Me: Will I be able to re-enter Canada by air on this stamp?
IMO: No. You will need a PR Card to re-enter by air but you can drive in based on this CoPR.
Me: The previous IMO mentioned I am able to enter by air with this stamp.
IMO: No, you will need a PR Card for that.
Me: Can you please check if my PR card has been applied? The Previous IMO confirmed it was.
IMO: Whose address is this?
Me: My friends'. But we will be staying there when we move.
IMO: We don't send PR cards to friends' address. You will need to send us a change of address form when you finally move here and then the PR card will be sent to that new address after few weeks. The only thing you can do is get a PRTD (travel document for those who are PR but haven't received their card yet)
Me: The Previous IMO struck out my visitor visa as well. Should he have done that?
IMO: He shouldn't have struck that but we can't do anything now.
Me: Can you add a note on the visitor visa that it is still valid? I can use that to fly in.
IMO: I can't.

I left with questions in my mind whether my PR card has been applied or not. And in despair that my visitor visa has also been struck. I plan to call Canada Immigration help desk and check status of my PR card and hope to get some clarity.

Back to SIN Office / Service Canada Centre:
Our spot was secured when we went back and had to wait for a couple of minutes to talk to someone. When called, we gave our passport and CoPR (stamped & signed). We were asked to read a disclosure about our rights of privacy and how Canada uses our information for SIN. The SIN lady asked us few questions about our address in Canada and we were done in few mins.

Bottom Line:
Research as much as you can and know what to expect. Don't rely on the IMO to do their job right. Ask questions and double check. Make sure you have your Passports and CoPRs stamped before you leave the CBSA building.

I will try to answer any questions I might receive on this thread. All the best to all aspiring candidates.

Cheers!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it was 100% correct for him to strike out your visitor visa. It's no longer valid now that you are a PR.
Yes - he was right that you did not need to fill out the PR card application. The PR card application is only for renewals / replacements.
He was wrong about re-entering Canada. You can only use your COPR to re-enter by land. Not by air. To re-enter by air, you need either the PR card or a PR Travel Document.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Yes - it was 100% correct for him to strike out your visitor visa. It's no longer valid now that you are a PR.
Yes - he was right that you did not need to fill out the PR card application. The PR card application is only for renewals / replacements.
He was wrong about re-entering Canada. You can only use your COPR to re-enter by land. Not by air. To re-enter by air, you need either the PR card or a PR Travel Document.
Thanks scylla. The frustrating part was the conflicting information I received from 2 colleagues in the same office. Anyhow, hoping I will get the PR Card issued in timely fashion so I can fly in at my convenience.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
[Update]

So I called the Canadian Immigration and learned that the PR Card processing had not started because the address had not been updated during landing. Go Figure!

I gave the Canadian address to the agent on the phone and they said the card will processed in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed! I will update when I receive the cards.

Note: The agent was not able to look up the address I gave in his database but I know it was accurate. So he entered it.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
That is frustrating, indeed!

Rahul_V

Aug 19, 2019
We got our stamped passport and CoPR documents by June 3rd week. My wife and I (primary applicant) crossed Canada border at Windsor, ON by road from Michigan at 2:35 pm on August 02. We had two copies of the goods to be followed list (in Excel) printed out, separated into 12 categories with subtotal at the end of each. We also had two copies of color photos of jewelry grouped into different subgroups. After parking the car outside office, at the end of Windsor tunnel, officer in parking area gave us a yellow slip and told us to go inside the CBSA building. There were no other applicants inside, to our luck ! One officer took our CoPR documents and another officer took our goods to be followed list. Officer marked us as 'Settler' in the bsf186 form (though we were doing a soft landing) and went through our goods to follow list. He was impressed with the detailed and organized list, went through every page of it, stamped on each page and gave it back to us. He kept one copy of the list and also a copy of the color photos of jewelry. He gave the other copy of photos of jewelry back to us without stamping. We asked if we can get it stamped that as well to which he replied that he has put a note in the system about how many sheets I submitted for the photos. He said no need to submit the bsf186a (goods to follow official form) since the excel sheet printouts and photos I submitted were more than enough.

One clue to all future applicants planning to do soft landing. List the replacement value of each item. Not resale value. I put resale value following stupid advice of a few people on this forum. It will help you much in claiming money back if you ship items by some moving company and your shipment gets lost. Also, imagine the items you planning to buy in the future, before permanently moving to Canada and include them in the goods to follow list. Once officer stamps the list, you can't add anything to it.

I gave my cousin's address in Canada for the PR cards to be sent. I was told it will take 2 weeks for processing and up to another 6 weeks for delivery. Gave us the stamped copy of CoPR document and canceled the temporary immigrant visa on passport. We were told that the stamped CoPR document lets us travel by road to Canada from USA. Whole process took about 20 minutes.

After that, we thanked the officers, said goodbye and went out to our parked car. Gave back the yellow slip which the officer at parking area gave us before. Then we went to Service Canada Centre to get our SIN. We drove like 0.5 km and parked near the city building, on a small street. Went inside building at 3:15 pm and a friendly middle aged lady received us and took care of our SIN application. We both got paper printout of SIN at 3:40 pm. She greeted 'Welcome to Canada'. We thanked her and went out. We knew that we were not eligible to get health cards since we were not living in Canada. So, we didn't go to the Service Ontario office.

Drove to Alexander park after getting our SIN and stood near the Detroit river. Looked at Detroit from Canada and took a few photos there. Then we went to Devonshire mall. Went to BWW there and had food. Then did some shopping at the mall. Drove back to USA via Ambassador bridge by 7 pm. Told officer at the border that we went to Canada for immigration. He didn't ask many questions. But said he does not have a stamp to issue I-94 and said if we need it, we would have to wait 20 minutes in the building. Since we already waited 40 minutes in the line, I said no need. We just drove back home.

On August 17, I linked my PR card application to the CIC profile. When I checked today, it still says 'Application submitted'. Hopefully, it will be approved this week itself. We are planning to permanently move to Canad only in 2020. So, we have plenty of time for planning.

Hope this helps the future PR candidates. Comment below if you have any questions.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Striking visitor Visa was definitely a cringeworthy moment but as a pr you can not use it ordinarily, so you are good.

Also you can apply for health card right away, just that the card and coverage will start in 3 months.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Final Update:

PR Cards were promptly delivered within 3 weeks of changing the address. Note that both the PR cards (mine and my wife's) were sent separately.

Reactions: Lisaarthurton

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
We got our stamped passport and CoPR documents by June 3rd week. My wife and I (primary applicant) crossed Canada border at Windsor, ON by road from Michigan at 2:35 pm on August 02. We had two copies of the goods to be followed list (in Excel) printed out, separated into 12 categories with subtotal at the end of each. We also had two copies of color photos of jewelry grouped into different subgroups. After parking the car outside office, at the end of Windsor tunnel, officer in parking area gave us a yellow slip and told us to go inside the CBSA building. There were no other applicants inside, to our luck ! One officer took our CoPR documents and another officer took our goods to be followed list. Officer marked us as 'Settler' in the bsf186 form (though we were doing a soft landing) and went through our goods to follow list. He was impressed with the detailed and organized list, went through every page of it, stamped on each page and gave it back to us. He kept one copy of the list and also a copy of the color photos of jewelry. He gave the other copy of photos of jewelry back to us without stamping. We asked if we can get it stamped that as well to which he replied that he has put a note in the system about how many sheets I submitted for the photos. He said no need to submit the bsf186a (goods to follow official form) since the excel sheet printouts and photos I submitted were more than enough.

One clue to all future applicants planning to do soft landing. List the replacement value of each item. Not resale value. I put resale value following stupid advice of a few people on this forum. It will help you much in claiming money back if you ship items by some moving company and your shipment gets lost. Also, imagine the items you planning to buy in the future, before permanently moving to Canada and include them in the goods to follow list. Once officer stamps the list, you can't add anything to it.

I gave my cousin's address in Canada for the PR cards to be sent. I was told it will take 2 weeks for processing and up to another 6 weeks for delivery. Gave us the stamped copy of CoPR document and canceled the temporary immigrant visa on passport. We were told that the stamped CoPR document lets us travel by road to Canada from USA. Whole process took about 20 minutes.

After that, we thanked the officers, said goodbye and went out to our parked car. Gave back the yellow slip which the officer at parking area gave us before. Then we went to Service Canada Centre to get our SIN. We drove like 0.5 km and parked near the city building, on a small street. Went inside building at 3:15 pm and a friendly middle aged lady received us and took care of our SIN application. We both got paper printout of SIN at 3:40 pm. She greeted 'Welcome to Canada'. We thanked her and went out. We knew that we were not eligible to get health cards since we were not living in Canada. So, we didn't go to the Service Ontario office.

Drove to Alexander park after getting our SIN and stood near the Detroit river. Looked at Detroit from Canada and took a few photos there. Then we went to Devonshire mall. Went to BWW there and had food. Then did some shopping at the mall. Drove back to USA via Ambassador bridge by 7 pm. Told officer at the border that we went to Canada for immigration. He didn't ask many questions. But said he does not have a stamp to issue I-94 and said if we need it, we would have to wait 20 minutes in the building. Since we already waited 40 minutes in the line, I said no need. We just drove back home.

On August 17, I linked my PR card application to the CIC profile. When I checked today, it still says 'Application submitted'. Hopefully, it will be approved this week itself. We are planning to permanently move to Canad only in 2020. So, we have plenty of time for planning.

Hope this helps the future PR candidates. Comment below if you have any questions.
Hello Sir,

If you don't mind can you please share your number on my email address.My email address is canadapr1982@gmail.com. I wanna talk with you.I have some questions which I discuss with you.I am also in Michigan.

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018

Thanx for the detailed explanation..
Wanted to ask few questions-
1.We wl be going to Canada from Ohio so we will be taking Detroit route, which entry point is better to enter Canada -Windsor tunnel or Ambassador bridge?
2.Its better to go by our car or rented car?
We wl just do soft landing and permanently move after few months.Car has no loan , it’s on my name.
3.For goods to follow list , is there any sample list to follow?
4.Did u Carry Canadian dollar or USD can also work in restaurants or parking places?
5.Did u use AVR to enter USA?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thanx for the detailed explanation..
Wanted to ask few questions-
1.We wl be going to Canada from Ohio so we will be taking Detroit route, which entry point is better to enter Canada -Windsor tunnel or Ambassador bridge?
2.Its better to go by our car or rented car?
We wl just do soft landing and permanently move after few months.Car has no loan , it’s on my name.
3.For goods to follow list , is there any sample list to follow?
4.Did u Carry Canadian dollar or USD can also work in restaurants or parking places?
5.Did u use AVR to enter USA?
2. For soft landing, don't think it matters either ways.
3. Search online (a link from British expats website) there is a standard format. You can make a list on blank paper and attach it to official forum. However you need to do this only when you intend to settle for 180 days in your trip. For soft landing, you are not supposed to do this. Few experiences of new officers asking this for sorry landing are present, please ask them to refer to another officer for that.
4. USD works many places but not everywhere and has an inferior exchange rate. Good luck with getting any change for big bills. Better to exchange it from forex at your place/bank. Many ATMs in airports would let you withdraw in either currency but again at an inferior rate. Credit cards would work but, you guessed it, at an inferior rate/transfer fees.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
[Update]

So I called the Canadian Immigration and learned that the PR Card processing had not started because the address had not been updated during landing. Go Figure!

I gave the Canadian address to the agent on the phone and they said the card will processed in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed! I will update when I receive the cards.

Note: The agent was not able to look up the address I gave in his database but I know it was accurate. So he entered it.
Hey @dumdum_yo did things work out ok for you finally? Were you able to get your PR cards by updating the address over the phone?

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Hey @dumdum_yo did things work out ok for you finally? Were you able to get your PR cards by updating the address over the phone?
Hi! Yes. Everything worked out well. I had done my landing in May 2019. Few weeks later I got my PR delivered to my friends place in Canada who then sent it to me in the US. I formally moved end of Feb 2020. I will post my experience of car import and final documentation once I am settled in properly.

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi, I'm planning to drive to Canada from USA for a soft landing by end of March. I'll be driving from Chicago, IL. Which point of entry is suggested? Also any preferred day and time? Is weekends okay to cross?
I'll be driving my car which is on loan but I'll be importing it when I move to settle in the next 2 months. Is there any extra paperwork I would need for driving a car on loan? What are the things I should take care of for the landing, in terms of documents also?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm planning to drive to Canada from USA for a soft landing by end of March. I'll be driving from Chicago, IL. Which point of entry is suggested? Also any preferred day and time? Is weekends okay to cross?
I'll be driving my car which is on loan but I'll be importing it when I move to settle in the next 2 months. Is there any extra paperwork I would need for driving a car on loan? What are the things I should take care of for the landing, in terms of documents also?
Most finances cars can’t be imported. Did you speak to your finance company or bank? Do you have the title?