+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience and returning with AVR

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Me, my wife (Indian citizens on H1B/H4) and our USC child performed our landing last weekend at Peace bridge near Buffalo, NY and returned to US next day using AVR.
  • We had prepared a list of our belongings as 'goods to follow' on plain paper. We included all electronics (TVs, home theater, laptops etc.) individually with serial numbers, two cars with VIN numbers, and other items categorized into broad categories (clothes, furniture, kitchen utensils, kitchen appliances etc.)
  • We took photographs of all jewelry and printed those. Estimated the value ourselves. Although nobody asked us for it.
  • At the checkpoint, we told the officer that we want to do our landing. He asked us where in the US we were coming from, whether we had any goods that we were importing right now and when do we want to return to US. He wrote all our answers on a yellow form and asked us to park the car and proceed to their office behind the checkpoint.
  • Inside the office there are two sets of officers, one handle immigration and others for customs. The immigration officer called us (there was nobody else there and no line to wait). We handed our passports, yellow form from outside and COPR. He asked us statutory questions individually (that are printed on the COPR) and recorded our answer (no) on the COPR. He took the address for PR cards (cousin's) and had no other questions about whose address etc. like some others have reported. Then he asked us to have a seat. There are restrooms here if needed.
  • After 15 minutes, he called us back and asked us to sign the COPR. One of the parent has to sign for the minor child. He had also canceled our IM-1 visa in the passport and stamped it indicating the date we became PRs. He welcomed us to Canada and told us about residence obligation and ability to apply for Citizenship after 3 years. He also told us that PR cards will take 6-8 weeks and if we want to travel to Canada by commercial carriers before that, we can show them our valid TRV (visitor) Visas. Overall, he was a very cheerful and polite officer and he really made us feel welcome.
  • Next, he sent us to the Customs officers. The lady here had a stern expression and strict way of speaking, but she was not rude, just doing her job. She took our list of goods to follow and told us that whenever we bring these goods in future, we will have to show this list so that we will not have to pay duty. She also told us about the import/export process for cars. She wrote the BSF186 form for us and had me sign it.
  • Next we proceeded to the cashier window and he gave us a receipt and stapled the receipt, BSF186 form and our list together.
  • Then heading out, there was a toll which could be paid with US EZ Pass.
  • Being a weekend we could not apply for SIN while in Canada.
  • On returning the next day at rainbow bridge, we presented our passports with expired H1/H4 Visas and approved extension notices. The officer let us in without any significant questions.

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Thank
Me, my wife (Indian citizens on H1B/H4) and our USC child performed our landing last weekend at Peace bridge near Buffalo, NY and returned to US next day using AVR.
  • We had prepared a list of our belongings as 'goods to follow' on plain paper. We included all electronics (TVs, home theater, laptops etc.) individually with serial numbers, two cars with VIN numbers, and other items categorized into broad categories (clothes, furniture, kitchen utensils, kitchen appliances etc.)
  • We took photographs of all jewelry and printed those. Estimated the value ourselves. Although nobody asked us for it.
  • At the checkpoint, we told the officer that we want to do our landing. He asked us where in the US we were coming from, whether we had any goods that we were importing right now and when do we want to return to US. He wrote all our answers on a yellow form and asked us to park the car and proceed to their office behind the checkpoint.
  • Inside the office there are two sets of officers, one handle immigration and others for customs. The immigration officer called us (there was nobody else there and no line to wait). We handed our passports, yellow form from outside and COPR. He asked us statutory questions individually (that are printed on the COPR) and recorded our answer (no) on the COPR. He took the address for PR cards (cousin's) and had no other questions about whose address etc. like some others have reported. Then he asked us to have a seat. There are restrooms here if needed.
  • After 15 minutes, he called us back and asked us to sign the COPR. One of the parent has to sign for the minor child. He had also canceled our IM-1 visa in the passport and stamped it indicating the date we became PRs. He welcomed us to Canada and told us about residence obligation and ability to apply for Citizenship after 3 years. He also told us that PR cards will take 6-8 weeks and if we want to travel to Canada by commercial carriers before that, we can show them our valid TRV (visitor) Visas. Overall, he was a very cheerful and polite officer and he really made us feel welcome.
  • Next, he sent us to the Customs officers. The lady here had a stern expression and strict way of speaking, but she was not rude, just doing her job. She took our list of goods to follow and told us that whenever we bring these goods in future, we will have to show this list so that we will not have to pay duty. She also told us about the import/export process for cars. She wrote the BSF186 form for us and had me sign it.
  • Next we proceeded to the cashier window and he gave us a receipt and stapled the receipt, BSF186 form and our list together.
  • On returning the next day at rainbow bridge, we presented our passports with expired H1/H4 Visas and approved extension notices. The officer let us in without any significant questions.
Thank you very much

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hello, one query : do we must add few items twice in current and also good to follow list Eg: Gold items - Ring and gold chain which i wear every day - do i must add this in both Current list and good to follow list., similarly other items like camera etc which we may have during soft landing and we will have those when we move permanent later. Please suggest. Thanks

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Thank you for sharing these elaborate details about your experience !! This certainly helps a lot.

We are in similar situation and planning to go from US to Canada. Wanted to check if there are any particular days of the week and timings of a day we should follow while going from car. Do we need to go specifically on weekdays to complete PR process or weekend is also fine? You have mentioned that you had a weekend travel but just wanted to confirm.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for sharing these elaborate details about your experience !! This certainly helps a lot.

We are in similar situation and planning to go from US to Canada. Wanted to check if there are any particular days of the week and timings of a day we should follow while going from car. Do we need to go specifically on weekdays to complete PR process or weekend is also fine? You have mentioned that you had a weekend travel but just wanted to confirm.
If you are entering from the US, you can come any time. They will process your PR 24/7.

The time and day restrictions are for people who are in Canada and are flagpoling.

Reactions: Joshua2018

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015

You can do it on any day at any time.

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hello Friends,

Can anyone please advise the documents needed to travel by car? I think passport, drivers license, car registration and car insurance should be fine correct? I don't have car title. would that be fine?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
one more question - I am planning to do landing on monday 29th april. But just read the post at below link. It tells that landing process at rainbow bridge can be done only on Tue/wed/thur. Is that correct?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-experience-peace-bridge-fort-erie-buffalo.588067/
Not according to the official CBSA website which clearly states that this is only for people doing flagpoling.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for its part has implemented service hours for processing confirmation of permanent residence, and work and study permit applications at the Fort Erie (Peace Bridge), Niagara-on-the-Lake (Queenston-Lewiston Bridge) and Niagara Falls (Rainbow Bridge) ports of entry made by individuals who currently reside in Canada, possess a valid work or study permit, or hold temporary residence status, and travelled to the USA for the sole purpose of presenting their permit application at a Canadian port of entry.

Canusa123

Aug 3, 2017
Hello,
I and my husband received PR in April 2018, we did soft landing in mid-April and left Canada. Since April onwards we are living in the USA as my husband holds an H1B. We have no ties in Canada, no earnings and nothing to claim. We are already filing taxes in the USA. Are we supposed to file taxes to CRA as well? will we be taxed twice? I was earlier a student in Canada and used to stay there I have filed my taxes alone until 2017. My husband has never stayed in Canada except only for a week when we did a soft landing after PR. Please help.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello,
I and my husband received PR in April 2018, we did soft landing in mid-April and left Canada. Since April onwards we are living in the USA as my husband holds an H1B. We have no ties in Canada, no earnings and nothing to claim. We are already filing taxes in the USA. Are we supposed to file taxes to CRA as well? will we be taxed twice? I was earlier a student in Canada and used to stay there I have filed my taxes alone until 2017. My husband has never stayed in Canada except only for a week when we did a soft landing after PR. Please help.
As you said, no ties means no obligation of filing taxes.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

There is never twice of tax for most countries. They have taxation treaty. So effectively, one ends up paying the highest tax.
Also even if you file taxes for Canada it will anyway show up as 0 tax due to non residency. My first year moving (during last week) to Canada led to 0 tax.
So filing or non filing most likely will lead to 0$ tax for staying few days in Canada without having any ties. If you are still curious, just find out by checking tax sites online by entering your information.