+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - Peace Bridge - Fort Erie - Buffalo

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Hi All,

Sharing my landing experience at Peace bridge - Fort Erie at Buffalo. It was a very short landing, will have to return immediately after dropping off some valuable furniture at my friend's place in Toronto.

Got my passport back on 04-Oct around 10.30am in DC, immediately booked a rental car and drove to Peace Bridge at Buffalo to complete my landing procedure. Reached the Peace bridge at around 06.30pm.

Do note that the CoPR requests will be processed for PR card only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight. If you land on a different time/day then you will be permitted into Canada, but your landing procedures wont be completed. You will have to visit a CIC office next day inland.

Follow this link for complete procedures and list of documents that you need take with you. I will list them below,

A) Officer at the entry booth

Questions asked were straight forward, (Answers in green)

1) Purpose of visit (complete my PR landing and bring some valuable furniture to a friend in Toronto)
2) Is this your car? (mine was rental)
3) Will I bring my car? (No, coz its leased in US)
4) Statutory questions such as firearms, food items etc (Disclosed that I had a Subway sandwich, it was ok)
5) Was give an yellow slip (said 1X PR) asked to leave to the office inside, after parking at a numbered spot.

B) Border security officer

1) Provide the Yellow slip, Passport, CoPR document for her validation.
2) S/he will direct you to the immigration officer, who sits right adjacent.

C) Immigration officer

1) S/he will process your application, ask a few statutory questions
2) Provide your Canadian address for PR card delivery.
3) Proof of funds and currency in-hand queries.
4) Finally stamp and pin the CoPR document onto passport.
5) S/he will also provide all the required procedures for retaining PR and applying for citizenship.
6) Then again you will be redirected to the Border security officer.

1) S/he will now take the BSF186 for currently imported items and the BSF186a for items to follow.
2) Its better to enter the serial numbers for the electronics and other items if they have one.
3) Declare all you can, its not a must that you need to import if listed there.
4) S/he will confirm the items and then upload it to the system.
5) You will be given a stamped copy of the BSF186 and BSF186a, that has to accompany each time you enter Canada.
6) You all set and good to go.

Important items to note.

1) My T-Mobile didn't have mobile data at peace bridge and I was en-route to Toronto.
I downloaded offline maps and had a standalone GPS.
2) Declare everything you have in the forms, you can import a subset of that. Its impossible to add items later.
3) It was warm in DC (31) and cold in Toronto (19) and they say its pretty warm.
4) Make sure BSF186 is printed in 14X11 paper.
5) Speed limit on Queen Elizabeth freeway is 100kph or 63mph. But many cars did upto 150kph or 93mph
6) You can complete your SIN procedure on the same day, if landed in business hours. SIN is provided at 'Service Canada' locations that is not at the border. There are many on the way to Toronto.
7) Have a letter from your bank, denoting the proof of funds. I wasnt asked for it.
8) Inform your US bank about the Canada travel to allow transactions at the ATM or on your credit card.

In the end, the procedure took about 15 mins, which included a restroom break. I unloaded all the furniture at my Friend's place and returned.

Entry into US,

I had my visa and i94 multiple entry card (given at Mexico border on a visit)
It was very weird that the US officer was very upset of me moving to Canada.
All his questions relating to why not stay in US? (I told it will take about 100yrs for my GC in US)
Finally he said ok its your call and let me go. Was very very weird.

PS: I should have stayed in Buffalo that night, but hoping to find some highway hotel. Everything was pitch dark in on the highway i129. Was super scary, ended up driving all the way back to DC.

All that best to everyone. Here's a pic at the peace bridge.

Last edited:

mac315

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Tue to Thurs is only for Flag poling. For people crossing land border from US, it will be 24 X 7. Can anyone else confirm ?

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Tue to Thurs is only for Flag poling. For people crossing land border from US, it will be 24 X 7. Can anyone else confirm ?
You can cross land border from US 24X7, but the CoPR to PR card processing will be done only between Tue to Thur, 8am to Midnight. Outside that time frame you will be admitted into Canada, but will have to visit an IRCC office inland next day (or an appointment on a later day) to apply for your PR card.

Flag-poling is specified in their website explicitly because there is no point in flag-polling after this time frame.

kalgi101

Oct 5, 2018
Hi All,

Sharing my landing experience at Peace bridge - Fort Erie at Buffalo. It was a very short landing, will have to return immediately after dropping off some valuable furniture at my friend's place in Toronto.

Got my passport back on 04-Oct around 10.30am in DC, immediately booked a rental car and drove to Peace Bridge at Buffalo to complete my landing procedure. Reached the Peace bridge at around 06.30pm.

Do note that the CoPR requests will be processed for PR card only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight. If you land on a different time/day then you will be permitted into Canada, but your landing procedures wont be completed. You will have to visit a CIC office next day inland.

Follow this link for complete procedures and list of documents that you need take with you. I will list them below,

A) Officer at the entry booth

Questions asked were straight forward, (Answers in green)

1) Purpose of visit (complete my PR landing and bring some valuable furniture to a friend in Toronto)
2) Is this your car? (mine was rental)
3) Will I bring my car? (No, coz its leased in US)
4) Statutory questions such as firearms, food items etc (Disclosed that I had a Subway sandwich, it was ok)
5) Was give an yellow slip (said 1X PR) asked to leave to the office inside, after parking at a numbered spot.

1) Provide the Yellow slip, Passport, CoPR document for her validation.
2) S/he will direct you to the immigration officer, who sits right adjacent.

C) Immigration officer

1) S/he will process your application, ask a few statutory questions
2) Provide your Canadian address for PR card delivery.
3) Proof of funds and currency in-hand queries.
4) Finally stamp and pin the CoPR document onto passport.
5) S/he will also provide all the required procedures for retaining PR and applying for citizenship.
6) Then again you will be redirected to the Border security officer.

1) S/he will now take the BSF186 for currently imported items and the BSF186a for items to follow.
2) Its better to enter the serial numbers for the electronics and other items if they have one.
3) Declare all you can, its not a must that you need to import if listed there.
4) S/he will confirm the items and then upload it to the system.
5) You will be given a stamped copy of the BSF186 and BSF186a, that has to accompany each time you enter Canada.
6) You all set and good to go.

Important items to note.

1) My T-Mobile didn't have mobile data at peace bridge and I was en-route to Toronto.
I downloaded offline maps and had a standalone GPS.
2) Declare everything you have in the forms, you can import a subset of that. Its impossible to add items later.
3) It was warm in DC (31) and cold in Toronto (19) and they say its pretty warm.
4) Make sure BSF186 is printed in 14X11 paper.
5) Speed limit on Queen Elizabeth freeway is 100kph or 63mph. But many cars did upto 150kph or 93mph
6) You can complete your SIN procedure on the same day, if landed in business hours. SIN is provided at 'Service Canada' locations that is not at the border. There are many on the way to Toronto.
7) Have a letter from your bank, denoting the proof of funds. I wasnt asked for it.
8) Inform your US bank about the Canada travel to allow transactions at the ATM or on your credit card.

In the end, the procedure took about 15 mins, which included a restroom break. I unloaded all the furniture at my Friend's place and returned.

Entry into US,

I had my visa and i94 multiple entry card (given at Mexico border on a visit)
It was very weird that the US officer was very upset of me moving to Canada.
All his questions relating to why not stay in US? (I told it will take about 100yrs for my GC in US)
Finally he said ok its your call and let me go. Was very very weird.

PS: I should have stayed in Buffalo that night, but hoping to find some highway hotel. Everything was pitch dark in on the highway i129. Was super scary, ended up driving all the way back to DC.

All that best to everyone. Here's a pic at the peace bridge.

Hi,

Thank you so much for details. I have few questions. Can I PM you? we are planning to travel next week.

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
You can cross land border from US 24X7, but the CoPR to PR card processing will be done only between Tue to Thur, 8am to Midnight. Outside that time frame you will be admitted into Canada, but will have to visit an IRCC office inland next day (or an appointment on a later day) to apply for your PR card.

Flag-poling is specified in their website explicitly because there is no point in flag-polling after this time frame.
Thanks for the post, it is really informative.
I did call Peace Bridge Authority and talked to an officer on Canadian border agency, he did confirm PR application will be filed when I land on a weekend but it will be mailed to me later ( which I knew)
Also, SIN office are open on weekdays only.
I am going on Saturday and returning on Monday but I suppose PR Card application will be filled at port of entry itself.

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hello,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed overview about your landing experience

I just had a question about the following point.

Do note that the CoPR requests will be processed for PR card only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight. If you land on a different time/day then you will be permitted into Canada, but your landing procedures wont be completed. You will have to visit a CIC office next day inland

Is this applicable if we are landing at Toronto YYZ airport also.

We are planning to do our soft landing on a Saturday morning and come back to the US by Saturday evening. We are flying in through an Air Canada,

So will be able to apply for our PR cards on a Saturday?

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Hello,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed overview about your landing experience

I just had a question about the following point.

Do note that the CoPR requests will be processed for PR card only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight. If you land on a different time/day then you will be permitted into Canada, but your landing procedures wont be completed. You will have to visit a CIC office next day inland

Is this applicable if we are landing at Toronto YYZ airport also.

We are planning to do our soft landing on a Saturday morning and come back to the US by Saturday evening. We are flying in through an Air Canada,

So will be able to apply for our PR cards on a Saturday?
This restriction applies only at land crossing, airports should process copr 24/7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua2018

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for the post, it is really informative.
I did call Peace Bridge Authority and talked to an officer on Canadian border agency, he did confirm PR application will be filed when I land on a weekend but it will be mailed to me later ( which I knew)
Also, SIN office are open on weekdays only.
I am going on Saturday and returning on Monday but I suppose PR Card application will be filled at port of entry itself.

Thats good, share your experience here after landing. All the best!

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
This restriction applies only at land crossing, airports should process copr 24/7.
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure.

I've a question regarding the Application for PR IMM 5444. Did you pre-fill this form and take it with you? I just took a print out of it and was looking at the questions.

What kind of information did you enter in the current residential address section? For the mailing address section , we are planning to provide a friend's address.

Also what did you enter for Address History , Travel History, Work and Education History?

I believe this is applicable only after you officially become a PR. and we don't need to fill this since it's our first time application.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure.

I've a question regarding the Application for PR IMM 5444. Did you pre-fill this form and take it with you? I just took a print out of it and was looking at the questions.

What kind of information did you enter in the current residential address section? For the mailing address section , we are planning to provide a friend's address.

Also what did you enter for Address History , Travel History, Work and Education History?

I believe this is applicable only after you officially become a PR. and we don't need to fill this since it's our first time application.

I didnt have to fill the IMM 5444, never seen this before. I think the border officials auto-generate this form based on our approved PR application? Not sure.

In my case the officer asked for my Canadian address. I didn't fill out any other form except the goods accompanying and goods to follow.

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
I didnt have to fill the IMM 5444, never seen this before. I think the border officials auto-generate this form based on our approved PR application? Not sure.

In my case the officer asked for my Canadian address. I didn't fill out any other form except the goods accompanying and goods to follow.

Ok. As per some of older posts in this forum we needed IMM 5444. But looks it's not needed anymore. All we are taking with us are the Goods to follow list.

One more question. :)

We are landing in Toronto, but the Canadian address we are planning to provide is in Fort McMurray Alberta. Would this be a problem? We have friends in Alberta and not in Toronto. So that's the reason we are providing an Alberta address for mailing our PR Cards.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Ok. As per some of older posts in this forum we needed IMM 5444. But looks it's not needed anymore. All we are taking with us are the Goods to follow list.

One more question. :)

We are landing in Toronto, but the Canadian address we are planning to provide is in Fort McMurray Alberta. Would this be a problem? We have friends in Alberta and not in Toronto. So that's the reason we are providing an Alberta address for mailing our PR Cards.
The address has to be in Canada, Alberta shud just be fine. If questioned you can say you are here to complete your landing procedure, you will leave back to US and move to Alberta later. The officials were very friendly.