+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience and returning with AVR

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Hi, I see you brought in 2 cars, did you have to pay any duties on both at all ?
also, is there a requirement on minimum period of owning the car before it could be imported in to Canada,.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi, I see you brought in 2 cars, did you have to pay any duties on both at all ?
also, is there a requirement on minimum period of owning the car before it could be imported in to Canada,.
I did not actually import those. Since I was doing soft landing only, the cars were in my goods to follow list. You don't have to pay duty on items listed in your current/future list. I don't know about the minimum period of owning.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
I did not actually import those. Since I was doing soft landing only, the cars were in my goods to follow list. You don't have to pay duty on items listed in your current/future list. I don't know about the minimum period of owning.
I see, would there be any numerical value limits, I read somewhere its around 10k and somewhere saying no limit, so wondering what is the actual expectation

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Thanks for the post its so helpful!

Me, my wife (Indian citizens on H1B/H4) and our USC child performed our landing last weekend at Peace bridge near Buffalo, NY and returned to US next day using AVR.
  • He asked us where in the US we were coming from, whether we had any goods that we were importing right now and when do we want to return to US.
For this part what did you say about "when do we want to return to US", we plan on doing border crossing/soft-landing end of this month (hopefully virus fears don't derail that plan) but we are worried about what to answer for such questions.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for the post its so helpful!

For this part what did you say about "when do we want to return to US", we plan on doing border crossing/soft-landing end of this month (hopefully virus fears don't derail that plan) but we are worried about what to answer for such questions.
The truth is always the best answer.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
According to their written policy, they can reject to include your address for PR card if they believe that you are soft-landing. You can update the address later if this happens. There is nothing you can do to avoid this. You should never lie to officials.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
According to their written policy, they can reject to include your address for PR card if they believe that you are soft-landing. You can update the address later if this happens. There is nothing you can do to avoid this. You should never lie to officials.
Don't they ask the same questions though when you call them to update the address?
No intention to lie, but I read online that its better to speak in generalities like "I will return to the US for a while to finish formalities" instead of "I'm driving back tomorrow" :D

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hello Guys,

1. Me and my wife are also planning to do 'Soft-Landing' via Detroit this weekend (14th March). We are planning to finish our landing procedure, meet our friends at Windsor, and return to USA by night. Like others asked, what should be the answer to "When are you planning to return?". Should I answer straight up that I'll be returning by night? Will they cause any issues with that?

2. Also, someone mentioned about updating Canadian mailing address online. If I have to do that (in case the border officers don't take my friends' Canadian mailing address), will they still mail PR cards? Or will we have to apply for PRTD (PR Travel Document)?

3. Since, we are just doing soft-landing, should I still mention any items (like, mobile phones, shoes, the day's clothes, etc.) on BSF186 (goods accompanying form) or all of these can go on BSF186a (goods to follow) form?

Thank you for your help in advance,
Ajeya Gupta

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hello Guys,

1. Me and my wife are also planning to do 'Soft-Landing' via Detroit this weekend (14th March). We are planning to finish our landing procedure, meet our friends at Windsor, and return to USA by night. Like others asked, what should be the answer to "When are you planning to return?". Should I answer straight up that I'll be returning by night? Will they cause any issues with that?

2. Also, someone mentioned about updating Canadian mailing address online. If I have to do that (in case the border officers don't take my friends' Canadian mailing address), will they still mail PR cards? Or will we have to apply for PRTD (PR Travel Document)?

3. Since, we are just doing soft-landing, should I still mention any items (like, mobile phones, shoes, the day's clothes, etc.) on BSF186 (goods accompanying form) or all of these can go on BSF186a (goods to follow) form?

Thank you for your help in advance,
Ajeya Gupta
1. I would answer it clearly as returning tonight. The only issue is that they may not include address in the PR card application. The landing itself will be completed and you will become PR.
2. You can update the address over phone. PRTD is required only for traveling to Canada on a commercial carrier (flight). For crossing at US land border in a private car, you don't need PR card or PRTD.
3. Tell them that you are not importing anything at this time and no BSF form is needed.

Don't they ask the same questions though when you call them to update the address?
No intention to lie, but I read online that its better to speak in generalities like "I will return to the US for a while to finish formalities" instead of "I'm driving back tomorrow" :D
I will not advise anything but a clear, true response.