+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

banparv

May 17, 2018
Hello All - I am Indian citizen, PR in Canada and commute to US on H1B. My Indian passport is expiring soon. It takes almost 5-6 weeks to get the passport renewed through BLS. Is anyone aware of any faster way to get the Indian passport renewed since I will not be able to commute to US while my passport is sent for renewal.

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Hello All - I am Indian citizen, PR in Canada and commute to US on H1B. My Indian passport is expiring soon. It takes almost 5-6 weeks to get the passport renewed through BLS. Is anyone aware of any faster way to get the Indian passport renewed since I will not be able to commute to US while my passport is sent for renewal.
Yes, you can apply tatkal and it will done in less than 10 days

may I ask, when did you started commuting and are you a daily commuter?

banparv

May 17, 2018
Yes, you can apply tatkal and it will done in less than 10 days

may I ask, when did you started commuting and are you a daily commuter?
Thank You! Any idea what’s the process to apply tatkal? Does it need to be done thru’ BLS only or I can directly go to consulate?

I started commuting in 2021 and I am a daily commuter.

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Thank You! Any idea what’s the process to apply tatkal? Does it need to be done thru’ BLS only or I can directly go to consulate?

I started commuting in 2021 and I am a daily commuter.
Thank you

you can do it online via vfs global. There you will have an option for tatkal. No need to visit Embassy. Apply to your nearest

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
That's great. How do we maintain records for this? With a nexus card your passport isn't stamped. I read residency questionnaire is a possibility if you travel frequently outside Canada. So is it possible that cross border workers on h1b working in US and traveling to Canada can be questioned on their residency when renewing PR and applying for citizenship. What proof do we need to attach to these applications if this is a risk?
Have u ever tried to stay in Canada for a few hours and then return back to Michigan? How was the experience at border

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Hi..My name is Aman..and I am in difficult situation ..I am a permanent resident of Canada and I commute on daily basis from niagara to buffalo and back..The question what I have that arises:
1) Do I need to pay Canadian as well as US taxes as salary credited in US dollars
2) does it affect my PR in Canada while I have only US salary and not Canada salary
3) Does it count as a PR in canada and when I apply for citizenship..does it affect

Please help me in this regards

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi..My name is Aman..and I am in difficult situation ..I am a permanent resident of Canada and I commute on daily basis from niagara to buffalo and back..The question what I have that arises:
1) Do I need to pay Canadian as well as US taxes as salary credited in US dollars
2) does it affect my PR in Canada while I have only US salary and not Canada salary
3) Does it count as a PR in canada and when I apply for citizenship..does it affect

Please help me in this regards
1) Yes. But when you file the tax in Canada, you will get credit on tax already paid in US. So at the end you only pay the difference to CRA
2) No
3) As long as you fullfill your physcial days inside Canada, you are fine.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
I see a lot of folks commute from Windsor and not from Niagara. is there a reason why people prefer Windsor? Is it because the commute is shorter or is Windsor a better place in general?

We are also exploring if commuting will work for us, so exploring the option between Windsor, Niagara or anywhere else? Employer OK to work from anywhere in US, just need an ammendment.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I see a lot of folks commute from Windsor and not from Niagara. is there a reason why people prefer Windsor? Is it because the commute is shorter or is Windsor a better place in general?

We are also exploring if commuting will work for us, so exploring the option between Windsor, Niagara or anywhere else? Employer OK to work from anywhere in US, just need an ammendment.
that's usually because Detroit is a big city compared to Buffalo and many have their employers based out of there. so you will see more people commuting to Detroit. remote work is becoming a thing now, so people have started exploring other borders too. if you are filing an amendment for a border city, it should not matter where. You can pick Buffalo or Detroit.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
that's usually because Detroit is a big city compared to Buffalo and many have their employers based out of there. so you will see more people commuting to Detroit. remote work is becoming a thing now, so people have started exploring other borders too. if you are filing an amendment for a border city, it should not matter where. You can pick Buffalo or Detroit.
Any pointers on which of the two cities has better schools, or in general better for families?