+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thank you. Now will there be a problem at border as a daily commuter?
You wont have a problem if its a rental car. If its owned by you or leased or financed then every time you are entering Canada they question and give warnings that you shouldn't get the car inside unless you complete the import formalities. If you wanna daily commute the only way i see now is you either need to drive rental car or you have to import the car into Canada.

jayakanthand

Apr 3, 2023
Hi All,

I hold Canada PR and currently working in Chicago with H1b. I am planning to move to Windsor Canada for renewing/Citizenship but still want to work in Detroit and commute very often. Please provide suggestions on this move and some guidance appreciated. I am not very sure where to start on this plan.

Thanks.

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
@swan0206 Ty Ty Ty for your time and guidance. Really appreciate it!!
@swan0206 I have visited the US and have followed what u said. No issue so far except my last visit in the last weekend.

So, just to give u a quick overview. I moved to Canada in October and after that I visited US once in November in a weekend (many questions asked and ultimately things went thru), January for 3 days during the weekdays(no questions asked and no I-797 asked), April during a weekday for a few mins to return some office stuff at a UPS store (just asked where I am heading to but as I was afraid about mentioning of the actual reason, I mentioned that I am traveling to Oklahoma as I need to attend the office), again in April after about 5 days since my last visit (There was a lady officer and she was asking how frequently I travel, I mentioned I travel based on the project needs. Then she reviewed my history and might have found that I just traveled 5 days ago, again she told isn't it hectic to travel weekly and why don't I live in Oklahoma itself. I said I am PR in Canada and I just travel whenever we have discussions related to architecture. Again she asked for how long I will stay. I actually traveled during the weekend to bring some stuff back from Oklahoma and there was no other reason. But I mentioned I will go for about a week and come back. Then she let me go).

@swan0206 Do u have any suggestions or comments on my way of handling this? Please take time to read thru and get back

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
@swan0206 I have visited the US and have followed what u said. No issue so far except my last visit in the last weekend.

So, just to give u a quick overview. I moved to Canada in October and after that I visited US once in November in a weekend (many questions asked and ultimately things went thru), January for 3 days during the weekdays(no questions asked and no I-797 asked), April during a weekday for a few mins to return some office stuff at a UPS store (just asked where I am heading to but as I was afraid about mentioning of the actual reason, I mentioned that I am traveling to Oklahoma as I need to attend the office), again in April after about 5 days since my last visit (There was a lady officer and she was asking how frequently I travel, I mentioned I travel based on the project needs. Then she reviewed my history and might have found that I just traveled 5 days ago, again she told isn't it hectic to travel weekly and why don't I live in Oklahoma itself. I said I am PR in Canada and I just travel whenever we have discussions related to architecture. Again she asked for how long I will stay. I actually traveled during the weekend to bring some stuff back from Oklahoma and there was no other reason. But I mentioned I will go for about a week and come back. Then she let me go).

@swan0206 Do u have any suggestions or comments on my way of handling this? Please take time to read thru and get back
Was this land border or airport?

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020

@swan0206 Awaiting your review :)

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I have visited the US and have followed what u said. No issue so far except my last visit in the last weekend.

Do u have any suggestions or comments on my way of handling this? Please take time to read thru and get back
if asked what is the purpose of visit, just say - "To work for <so and so> company" and leave things there. don't mention anything about the location of travel. usually follow up with questions are like - "what is your status" (H1b) or "what you do for them" (work as <LCA title>) or "where do you live" (Windsor). they do ask about location, but only occasionally and it is not a common question. And it is also perfectly okay to say things like you are going for temple, visit friends etc. your trip need not be for work always. they won't know what you said in previous visit, so you can use this type of personal reasons as many times as you prefer.

Ideal long term option would be to hire a room or workspace in Detroit/Michigan, and add that to your LCA. that way you don't have to tell them that you would be going to Oklahoma.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I think its overall easier to explain if you are living and working in crossborder communities like Windsor/Sarnia <> Detroit/Michigan. Its raises some eyebrows when you are working in southern states and driving from Canada. I dont think they have a valid reason to stop though.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

kp7

Jan 12, 2021
Hi All,

I hold Canada PR and currently working in Chicago with H1b. I am planning to move to Windsor Canada for renewing/Citizenship but still want to work in Detroit and commute very often. Please provide suggestions on this move and some guidance appreciated. I am not very sure where to start on this plan.

Thanks.
I am in a similar situation like you and working in Chicago. I will direct message you