+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ to Obtain an Open Work Permit in Quebec

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
Hello guys,
I am currently an international student here, just recently got my Quebec CSQ thru Skilled Worker Program in March and filed immediately my PR application in Federal two days ago.

Now, I want to change my status from student visa to open work permit while waiting for my PR. I called the CIC and their advise was- I can use my CSQ, and get an employer in Quebec. Together with my CSQ, I also need to submit employment contract from an employer based in Quebec to obtain an open work permit.

Any thoughts of this guys? I really appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

LveMtl

Oct 17, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-05-2018
Hello guys,
I am currently an international student here, just recently got my Quebec CSQ thru Skilled Worker Program in March and filed immediately my PR application in Federal two days ago.

Now, I want to change my status from student visa to open work permit while waiting for my PR. I called the CIC and their advise was- I can use my CSQ, and get an employer in Quebec. Together with my CSQ, I also need to submit employment contract from an employer based in Quebec to obtain an open work permit.

Any thoughts of this guys? I really appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
Hi ,

Can you share your timeline for CSQ?

When did you applied for CSQ?

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
Filed
Hi ,

Can you share your timeline for CSQ?

When did you applied for CSQ?
Csq filed- March 2014
Aor- June 2014
intent to refuse-Jan 23, 2018
Sent updates- Feb 14, 2018
Reveived CSQ dated March 16- March 22
Sent Federal- April 4, 2018

Btw, Im already in Canada thru student visa since August 25, 2017. Application becomes fast when I am here. How about your timeline pls

LveMtl

Oct 17, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-05-2018
Filed

Csq filed- March 2014
Aor- June 2014
intent to refuse-Jan 23, 2018
Sent updates- Feb 14, 2018
Reveived CSQ dated March 16- March 22
Sent Federal- April 4, 2018

Btw, Im already in Canada thru student visa since August 25, 2017. Application becomes fast when I am here. How about your timeline pls
Applied: March 2017
Doc. Request: Dec 2017
Document received : Jan2018
Waiting for decision

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
Unfortunately the official answer is that with CSQ you cannot get an open work permit. You are LMIA -exempt so it makes it easier for your prospective employer to help you obtain a work permit, but it will be a closed one. Or employer specific. That's the deal. In other provinces PR applicants are eligible for something called bridging open work permit, but as usual, this does not apply to Quebec. You can always try to apply for it, a few have succeeded but others got rejected because as I said, Quebec PR applicants with CSQ are not eligible for open work permits.

Reactions: Mjkab

Sophia.sa1245

Apr 18, 2018
Hello Dear,

I was in the same situation as you.
Yes you can have an open work permit if you hold a Certificat de Selection du Quebec ( CSQ).
It allows you to work without the LMIA.
The calling center is useless it will provide you different information every time you call.

I suggest you do this questionnaire on the website which will guide you to the online application :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

answer all the questions and it should lead you to the online application form.
There are two fees (a total of 250$)
It takes 5 weeks if you apply within canada.

Best of luck!

egoetc

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-03-2017
AOR Received.
09-06-2017
Med's Request
19-12-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2018
Out of curiosity why didn't you get your open work permit after you finished your studies? Or did you try and it was not approved?

Sophia.sa1245

Apr 18, 2018
You need to apply for an open work permit 90 days before your study permit expires.
I past the deadline so I had to follow this process :)

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
Hello Dear,

I was in the same situation as you.
Yes you can have an open work permit if you hold a Certificat de Selection du Quebec ( CSQ).
It allows you to work without the LMIA.
The calling center is useless it will provide you different information every time you call.

I suggest you do this questionnaire on the website which will guide you to the online application :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

answer all the questions and it should lead you to the online application form.
There are two fees (a total of 250$)
It takes 5 weeks if you apply within canada.

Best of luck!
Great! You are an angel! Are you under Student visa or Quebec Skilled Workers program? Thanks

Sophia.sa1245

Apr 18, 2018
Great you so gave me hope then.. thanks a lot! So what’s your entry in Canada? Are you already in Canada when you applied for work permit? Thanks again
I applied outside of canada so its 14 weeks until you receive the open work permit. I still have 2 weeks until i receive it! In your case it should be 5 weeks max because you are in canada. You might need to go to the border once you receive the letter of approval of the open work permit. Therefore you will enter canada under an open work permit with the length of your studies. For example If you did a bachelor degree than it should be 3 years I think.