+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Border Question

pauly2

Jan 20, 2014
Im an online poker player that relocated from the usa to canada. I went into canada close to 1/2 a year ago by flying in on a one way ticket. Presented bank statement to show i have enough funds in my american bank acct to support myself when they asked me what i do and how i will support myself. They allowed me and gave me 6 month b/c thats how i long i said i would stay up to max. I had said it might be 3 month to 6 month.

Im going back to the usa because of my 6 month limit. I will be coming back pretty soon into canada though. I was told by few ppl the 6 months doesn't mean 6 month in a calender year and if you stay in canada and leave before the date stamped on passport, even if you go back to the usa for few days and then come back to canada you get another 6 months. I was not aware of this few months ago until some ppl told me this recently.

Im taking a bus from canada to the usa and only bought a 1 way ticket. Did not buy a plane ticket b/c i waited too long and the rates for flying would be very high so i just bought a bus ticket. Also i bought one way ticket b/c i do not know the exact day im leaving the usa and coming back into canada. I know it will be one of certain days but not 100 percent so thats why i just bought 1 way ticket. Im planning to be back into canada within 10 days or so.

Someone in that thread said i might have issues with this by ice agents b/c i only bought 1 way ticket and i might get denied in into the usa border. Can someone tell me if this is true and have story about this? I never thought there would be an issue coming back to the usa... my only issue was getting into canada again. My other worry is of course in case i wouldn't be let into canada but i did not think me not getting into the usa would be an issue... since im american and live in the usa.

Is there a reason this would happen? I dont understand this. I do know that when i come back into canada, i will print my bank statement with the money in my funds to prove that i have enough money to stay in canada again for possibly up to 6 months.

However, would you say its better to just fly into canada like it did 1/2 a year ago as oppose to taking a bus? The only reason why i flew into canada my first time was b/c i heard its easier to cross the border than taking a bus why is why i did that.

I also like to mention that i have an apartment here that i already paid rent for so basically im paying for it even when im in the usa for that short time and coming back into it when i get back into canada.

I assume i shouldn't have any issues based on my situation?

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Dude, if you are a U.S citizen, you can enter the U.S anytime you wish. It is your LEGAL RIGHT.

No agent can stop you from entering and they won't care about what tickets or funds you have LOL it's your own country ;D.

Entry is an issue for non U.S citizens (only exception is First Nation Canadians ie Native American Indians in Canada) ie a Canadian or someone else can be refused for any reason, it is up to the officer, he/she doesn't have to give a reason they could simple dislike your attitude/face and ban you for life from entering USA. You do NOT mess with CBP officers as a foreign national entering America, you have ZERO rights.

However as U.S citizen you have NOTHING to fear at the U.S border, relax and enjoy the trip, you will be welcomed back into the U.S. They CAN'T refuse you entry, it would make no sense and it would be illegal.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you in fact a US citizen? You only mentioned that you relocated from the US, but didn't say whether or not you are an American citizen. If you are, I agree with the previous reply;you'll have no problems going back with a one-way ticket.

You are correct that once you leave and re-enter Canada, the 6 month `clock' starts again, unless you are told differently by the CBSA.

poppyweise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Saskatchewan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What's the question he's trying to ask?

This is so confusing. If he is in fact a US citizen, why would he be afraid of crossing the border to go back to his country? ???

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would only have issues with U.S.C.I.S. (I.C.E./C.B.P) if you are not a United States citizen. If you are a U.S. citizen, then you shouldn't have any issues returning to the United States.

pauly2

Jan 20, 2014
Yes im a us citizen. The thing is i posted this in another forum... its a canadian forum and they said b/c im only doing a 1 way ticket to the usa, i might not get allowed into the usa which is why i ask this question. It didnt make any sense to me. They said to do roundtrip since i plan to go back to canada soon but i dont know what day specificially thats why i didnt do roundtrip ticket.

So when someone wrote this... i thought why in the world would i have problems getting into the usa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If I've read this correctly, you are effectively living in Canada as a visitor. If you continue staying in Canada for 6 months, then going to the US for a bit, then returning to Canada for 6 months, you will eventually face problems at the Canadian border. Once the border officers realize that you've actually moved to Canada without actually having any right to do so, you will be refused entry.

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
You cannot be denied entry into USA, you're a citizen so entry is your right. Entering canada is a privilege for you however, so that is what you need to worry about. Also you have to wait 6 months before coming back to canada, since you can only stay here 6 out of 12 months (it doesn't go by calendar years).

pauly2 said:
Yes im a us citizen. The thing is i posted this in another forum... its a canadian forum and they said b/c im only doing a 1 way ticket to the usa, i might not get allowed into the usa which is why i ask this question. It didnt make any sense to me. They said to do roundtrip since i plan to go back to canada soon but i dont know what day specificially thats why i didnt do roundtrip ticket.

So when someone wrote this... i thought why in the world would i have problems getting into the usa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ortom said:
Also you have to wait 6 months before coming back to canada, since you can only stay here 6 out of 12 months (it doesn't go by calendar years).
There's no such rule. This is an old wives' tale.

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
So a 10 year TRV means you can stay in canada for 10 years?!

scylla said:
There's no such rule. This is an old wives' tale.

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ortom said:
Within the context of the current discussion, which isn't about a 10-year TRV, there isn't a 6 month limit for every 12 months.

poppyweise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Saskatchewan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Old wives tale indeed. I came back to Canada after just one month from the date of departure. All that matters is which CBSA officer you meet at the border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ortom said:
No - it doesn't mean that. Individual trips are still limited to six months. If the visitor wishes to stay longer, then must apply for an extension.