+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminality checks

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi again, the reason why i am so worried because we received Procedural fairness letter last year. We submitted a strong submissions in response to PFL. Few months after sending our reply to fairness letter, they requested additional documents followed by medical request. (Remedical/second medical) after passing the second medical, our gckey status is "we are processing your background check" from not applicable. Its been almost 5 months since we passed the second medical and its quiet. Is this a good sign for us getting a visa? That is why i am so worried. Thank you so much!
background check takes awhile to complete.......most times its started long before the status is updated in gckey....i can understand your concern regarding background check status since 5 months......sponsorship processing including background check is on a case basis, so completion time varies....background check completion is usually the last step before review to request passport.......you should not be too worried.....just be patient......it will be over soon.......its a wait game......you have come this far as your application was submitted before Dec 7th 2016.....most spousal sponsorship applications submitted before Dec 7th 2016 are processed within several months, sometimes takes 24months or more to complete.....just need more patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Virgo29

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
You were deemed ineligible to sponsor due to your misrepresentation (i.e., not declaring your husband as a family member before landing as PR) and has requested humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) consideration to overcome the requirement to have an eligible sponsor.

The H&C application process is a separate process from applying for PR through the usual spousal sponsorship stream.

H&C applications are decided in a two part assessment phase process.

The 1st phase of the assessment is to determine whether the facts of your case warrant granting an exemption from the regular Immigration rules and allowing the applicant to apply for landing.

The 2nd phase is to determine whether the applicant meets the criminal, security and medical requirements which all permanent resident applicants must meet before being granted PR in Canada.

IRCC will assess your application to determine whether compelling H&C reasons exist to allow your husband to immigrate to Canada……. to help IRCC reach a compelling decision to grant H&C consideration IRCC will consider some factors like impact of separation of family members (hence they requested for more supporting documents to prove the genuineness of your marriage) and links with family members (hence they requested for DNA test).

The genuineness of your marriage and the interest of your baby are among the factors for consideration to grant H&C…..No one for sure beside IRCC could say with a full guarantee that your H&C application will be approved but your case is not hopeless…..since IRCC has requested for DNA test means they are processing your application and the result of the DNA and other considerations like your genuineness of your marriage will help IRCC decide if to grant H&C consideration.

IRCC does not reject applications outright…..if they have any concerns that may cause rejection, they usually will send you a procedural fairness letter like you earlier received to give you a chance to provide supporting documents to clear their concerns…….relax…..your application is still been processed.

Been in the H&C process queue for 25months does not exclude your application from been rejected…..however, if IRCC had reason to reject your application they would have since sent you another procedural fairness letter since the last letter in Feb 2017……relax…..your application is still been processed.

Most spousal sponsorship applications submitted before Dec 7th 2016 are processed within several months, sometimes takes 24months or more to complete…….and H&C applications are not processed within those standard timelines and should expect your application to take longer than usual timeline to complete……relax and be very patient......will advice you assume your H&C case will take minimum 30months, could be less…..but this will help to reduce your waiting stress……relax…..it will be good.

Has IRCC ever sent our husband request for medical exam ?

For curiosity…..in your online account........when you check your Application Status........what's the message for Review of Eligibility.....(1) or (2)....below....

1.) Review of eligibility: "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility."
2.) Review of eligibility: "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"

H&C Sponsorship requires lot of patience.....it will be good and over.....relax
Than you so much Wakki,

Review of eligibility is #2. In regard to H&C phase 1 and 2 I think that only applies to Inland applicant. They have never mentioned our H&C. I got my married to my husband while living in Canada and had my own PR in process unfortunately, I had no idea I had to declare the change of my marital status to them. I wish I could turn back the time. Our first application was rejected within 4months.

No re medical was issued for him as of yet but the requested 4 passport size photo from. they also received the DNA results back in March and they say it's positive through my MP.

Below is an email they sent me 9days ago I would appreciate if you could make sense of it. Thanks allot.
Kindly note that this application is still under active review by our office. At the moment, we are not in a position to give a clear indication of when we anticipate finalizing this application. However, we wish to inform you that our office is doing the necessary to ensure that this application is processed and finalised within the shortest timeframe possible.

Please note that the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires that each person applying for a visa to Canada be screened in many different ways, including health, security and criminality. Often, delays in the processing of an application are out of our control as some processing steps require coordination with external authorities. Therefore some applications due to the complexity of their nature may take a bit longer to finalise than others

Our office will contact the applicant and sponsor as soon as all verifications are completed, or as soon as more information or documents are required.

Virgo29

Jun 10, 2017
background check takes awhile to complete.......most times its started long before the status is updated in gckey....i can understand your concern regarding background check status since 5 months......sponsorship processing including background check is on a case basis, so completion time varies....background check completion is usually the last step before review to request passport.......you should not be too worried.....just be patient......it will be over soon.......its a wait game......you have come this far as your application was submitted before Dec 7th 2016.....most spousal sponsorship applications submitted before Dec 7th 2016 are processed within several months, sometimes takes 24months or more to complete.....just need more patience.
Again, thank you so much for the help. Im now enlightened. What a relief.

Virgo29

Jun 10, 2017
Than you so much Wakki,

Review of eligibility is #2. In regard to H&C phase 1 and 2 I think that only applies to Inland applicant. They have never mentioned our H&C. I got my married to my husband while living in Canada and had my own PR in process unfortunately, I had no idea I had to declare the change of my marital status to them. I wish I could turn back the time. Our first application was rejected within 4months.

No re medical was issued for him as of yet but the requested 4 passport size photo from. they also received the DNA results back in March and they say it's positive through my MP.

Below is an email they sent me 9days ago I would appreciate if you could make sense of it. Thanks allot.
Kindly note that this application is still under active review by our office. At the moment, we are not in a position to give a clear indication of when we anticipate finalizing this application. However, we wish to inform you that our office is doing the necessary to ensure that this application is processed and finalised within the shortest timeframe possible.

Please note that the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires that each person applying for a visa to Canada be screened in many different ways, including health, security and criminality. Often, delays in the processing of an application are out of our control as some processing steps require coordination with external authorities. Therefore some applications due to the complexity of their nature may take a bit longer to finalise than others

Our office will contact the applicant and sponsor as soon as all verifications are completed, or as soon as more information or documents are required.

Hi, may I ask what was the reason why the first application was rejected? Thanks

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
Hi, may I ask what was the reason why the first application was rejected? Thanks
Hi.

The reason was that I did not declared him before I was landed. It was not intentional but they didn't care. I got my PR few months after our marriage. They expect everyone to know their IRB rule.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Good...your your Application Status.....Review of eligibility message is....

2.) Review of eligibility: "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"

The last phase of the sponsorship processing consist of 3 main steps;
  1. Review of eligibility
  2. Background Check
  3. Passport Request
Your application is in the last phase.......the letter shows IRCC is still processing your application and no much cause for worries.....just patience......relax

Last edited:
Reactions: Manal90 and Virgo29

Virgo29

Jun 10, 2017

1. Review of eligibility
  2. Background Check
  3. Passport Request
Your application is in the last phase.......the letter is shows IRCC is still processing your application and no much cause for worries.....just patience......relax

My MP said the other day that we passed the eligibility though its not updated in our gckey thats why they are now doing criminality verifications. Thank you Wakki.

Virgo29

Jun 10, 2017
Hi.

The reason was that I did not declared him before I was landed. It was not intentional but they didn't care. I got my PR few months after our marriage. They expect everyone to know their IRB rule.

Did they send you Procedural fairness letter before rejection on your first application?

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
Did they send you Procedural fairness letter before rejection on your first application?
They did not. The reason they sent us that letter last year was because we didn't register our marriage at the registry office at that time. It was a third country and we didn't know much about their local services. My husband had to flew in there and register after we received the Fairness letter.

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018

1. Review of eligibility
  2. Background Check
  3. Passport Request
Your application is in the last phase.......the letter shows IRCC is still processing your application and no much cause for worries.....just patience......relax
Thank you so much. You are very kind. I hope this difficult time comes to an end for all of us waiting to reunite our loved ones.

destinyjam2can

Apr 2, 2017
Wakki our background check went into process Feb 27/18 and elgibility says we are reviewing. Do you know how much longer? We're in month 13. Police check is expired and medical expires next month. Thank you for your help.

Virgo29

Jun 10, 2017
They did not. The reason they sent us that letter last year was because we didn't register our marriage at the registry office at that time. It was a third country and we didn't know much about their local services. My husband had to flew in there and register after we received the Fairness letter.
So i guess with our status right now we have a chance and as wakki said we dont need to worry becuase we have gone this far. Our app is now running for 22 months. I feel depressed everyday waiting for nothing.

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
So i guess with our status right now we have a chance and as wakki said we dont need to worry becuase we have gone this far. Our app is now running for 22 months. I feel depressed everyday waiting for nothing.
I think we are near the end. It would be greatly unfair if IRCC refuses our applications after all this time. I agree, the wait is the hardest part. Am feeling helpless and beyond depressed as well.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Wakki our background check went into process Feb 27/18 and elgibility says we are reviewing. Do you know how much longer? We're in month 13. Police check is expired and medical expires next month. Thank you for your help.
only IRCC could actually tell how long you have to wait......if you applied after Dec 7th 2016.....i would say patience as you have passed the 12months processing timeline and should be in the final phase of the sponsorship process......application are processed on a case basis......relax.....need just patience.......it will be over.