Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
spacedog30 said:
Hers was/is, too. But they approved her as my sponsor.

Now I'm trying to figure out if we now ALSO have to prove she makes the minimum amount given on the sponsorship chart to support three people. Right now, she doesn't.

Does anybody know, if we've already gotten this far, if we have to now prove she makes a certain amount to satisfy the immigration officer?? Will a full-time job and us staying with her family while I job hunt after landing be good enough? With savings?

aaarrrgghh

There's no specific minimum amount if the sponsorship is only for a spouse and the children of said spouse. Further, because the point is that you have to just be able to demonstrate that you won't need social assistance the things you mention do make a difference - so yes, showing your own job skills and the willingness of family to help out while you are getting settled do make a difference.

spacedog30

Aug 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
Doc's Request.
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
computergeek said:
There's no specific minimum amount if the sponsorship is only for a spouse and the children of said spouse. Further, because the point is that you have to just be able to demonstrate that you won't need social assistance the things you mention do make a difference - so yes, showing your own job skills and the willingness of family to help out while you are getting settled do make a difference.
Thank you... that's what we understood, but so much seems contradictory. And the email I got was just..well..weird. :/

And I now need a drink.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
Congrats to all who have progressed. It is a process. i am making plans to land the first week in April. Two questions- we are considering buying a new car, since we can import it duty free this one time. Should we register it in the states or are we able to import it with a temporary plate? Secondly, I was eyeing my wine rack and liquor cabinet and wondering with the duty free thing does it include alcohol this one time as well? Thanks for any advice.

EkkusuXI

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
18-12-2012
Med's Done....
16-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2013
crna80 said:
Congrats to all who have progressed. It is a process. i am making plans to land the first week in April. Two questions- we are considering buying a new car, since we can import it duty free this one time. Should we register it in the states or are we able to import it with a temporary plate? Secondly, I was eyeing my wine rack and liquor cabinet and wondering with the duty free thing does it include alcohol this one time as well? Thanks for any advice.
Grats to your Crna! If I'm lucky to get my CoPR before the 30th I plan on landing on the 30th because my wife wants me there for Easter, or atleast april 5th which will mark our 5th year of being together. (Hopes and reams) So here is to hoping all goes well for your Crna! and if I don't land on the 30th it will be the first weekend in april so might even see ya then! (doubtful but never know!)

frankinto

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
crna80 said:
Not sure about the car, however you can only import duty-free the same amount of alcohol you would be able to bring back after a visit, i.e. the equivalent of 1.5 litres of wine.

FAM_Applicant

Mar 2, 2013
Shylox said:
1 - That's fine.
2 - That's great, we did the same thing. I also gave them copies of my own bank statements showing I have my own money as well as what my sponsor has.
3 - You can ask for a year, if they don't want to give it to you then they'll still give you 6 months and you can always just apply for another extension later if you need to.
4 - I didn't and never had a problem.
5 - Fill ALL gaps, at least that's what I did. Its better to be safe than sorry.
6 - We included things like my sponsors payment info, a proof of employment letter from her work, a letter from her agreeing to support me, copy of our marriage certificate. You don't need to include as much as you do with your PR app, most of the time these extensions get approved for visa exempt people. Just include stuff that proves your sponsor can support you, or that you have means to support yourself. They really only care if you're a criminal or if you're going to end up not having enough money to get a plane ticket home.
Thanks alot for your response Shylox. That was clear.
- I am going to ask for one year then and write the fund available as my salary x 12 months
- I will add the additional documents you mentioned as well.

Do you think this would be enough ? How long does it take to hear back. ?Also, do they just need copy of passport ?
Again, thnks alot

Again, thanks alot.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
FAM_Applicant said:
Thanks alot for your response Shylox. That was clear.
- I am going to ask for one year then and write the fund available as my salary x 12 months
- I will add the additional documents you mentioned as well.

Do you think this would be enough ? How long does it take to hear back. ?Also, do they just need copy of passport ?
Again, thnks alot

Again, thanks alot.
Here are the processing times: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp - They're updated every week so check back every now and then.

Yes they need a copy of your passport and whatever current document you have now (work permit, study permit, visitor visa, whatever). There is a list of the documents you should send in the checklist for the form (you also need to send the completed checklist).

FAM_Applicant

Mar 2, 2013
Shylox said:
Again Thanks Shylox for the info.
Do I need to have medical insurance bought for my wife ?
As for the status document, I only have the passport entry stamp since she is from visa-exempt country. Should i just copy the passport pages then ?

FAM_Applicant

Mar 2, 2013
Hi Shylox,

If you don't mind,I have another question. I am having a problem validating the form "IMM5708" for visitor extension since i have a field empty which states "date of most recent entry to canada -if different than original".Since my wife is already here i only have one date.How did you answer this question ?

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
FAM_Applicant said:
Hi Shylox,

If you don't mind,I have another question. I am having a problem validating the form "IMM5708" for visitor extension since i have a field empty which states "date of most recent entry to canada -if different than original".Since my wife is already here i only have one date.How did you answer this question ?
If it's the same date as the original entry then just put the same date. The form wont let you validate if you have missing info.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
crna80 said:
I would buy a car in Canada. We're still in the middle of importing, hubby landed in January.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
parker24 said:
I would buy a car in Canada. We're still in the middle of importing, hubby landed in January.
Ouch. I'm assuming this hasn't been a fun time then? =(

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Shylox said:
Ouch. I'm assuming this hasn't been a fun time then? =(
It's a lot of paperwork, waiting, money. It's immigration all over again basically. Not as long, but just as frustrating. If you already owned the car, I would suggest you to go for it as they normally say you should own the car at least 6 months (They DO ask this at the border, both sides and usually will tax you, even if it's on the B4 we were told). But to buy one and bring it over, it's not worth it.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
So glad me and my wife dont drive. lol

I hope you get it figured out soon!

EkkusuXI

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
18-12-2012
Med's Done....
16-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2013
So is there any potential little timeline for how long it may take LA to get me my CoPR? Just curious because I wasn't lucky enough to get tracking on my envelopes.. Apparently either the USPS office up here is ill equipped or they just hated me.

Shylox said:
So glad me and my wife dont drive. lol

I hope you get it figured out soon!
I'm right there with you Shylox. Public transit all the way (for awhile anyway)