+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid-19 - Travel Restrictions

Shob890

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Did you get a reply???
They reply to me. They said cause of covid 19, process for existing applications can be impacted with the crisis. Still have staff working on existing applications but low on staff. Just hoping my wife sponsorship application completes. Its taking too long

sharbin1994

Star Member
Aug 30, 2019
Did anyone get details about information regarding if PR visa expires due to the fact that we can’t travel? (COVID-19)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did anyone get details about information regarding if PR visa expires due to the fact that we can’t travel? (COVID-19)
Slightly depends on the case but yes there will be extensions given out if people were not able to travel. There have been some instances where people have been able to travel and have cancelled tickets because they didn’t want to fly and now want extensions. That may be treated differently.

Apr 12, 2020
Hey guys

I hope you all are safe

My family got the PR visa and we planned to travel on Apr 1st but since Covid erupted everything was blocked. The problem now is that our visa expires on 17 april 2020 and we filled the form explaining the reasons. I am wondering what is the process to follow now especially that in Morocco there is lock down until 20 april and the canadian ambassy in rabat forwards the calls to Ottawa. The other thing is that our kids' passeports expire on 11 april. We got in touch with the travel agency but they have no visbility on flights in the system.

Thank you for any guidance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey guys

I hope you all are safe

My family got the PR visa and we planned to travel on Apr 1st but since Covid erupted everything was blocked. The problem now is that our visa expires on 17 april 2020 and we filled the form explaining the reasons. I am wondering what is the process to follow now especially that in Morocco there is lock down until 20 april and the canadian ambassy in rabat forwards the calls to Ottawa. The other thing is that our kids' passeports expire on 11 april. We got in touch with the travel agency but they have no visbility on flights in the system.

Thank you for any guidance.
You will have to wait until they respond and obviously also until when flights are available. So in the meantime, the immediate task is to renew your children's passports.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
April 10th update on travel to Canada and my scenario:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

They still have not defined what essential travel reasons are but they have specified what is not essential.

To board your flight to Canada, you must

• have your health checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID‑19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board.
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA) and a valid passport to fly to Canada

I wish to travel home to care for my elderly Mother who lives alone and I want to bring my wife and son with me. Both of them have PR apps in process and both currently have TRV's. In the linked document it talks about traveling for family reunification. In our case I have a compelling reason to return home, and IMO my wife and son should be allowed to accompany me in order to maintain our family unity. That would be their essential reason to travel to Canada.

Your thoughts and opinions please.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In the linked document it talks about traveling for family reunification. In our case I have a compelling reason to return home, and IMO my wife and son should be allowed to accompany me in order to maintain our family unity. That would be their essential reason to travel to Canada.

I'm not sure if anyone can say much more than 'sounds plausible' until such time as there are more cases reported of what airlines and border agents actually do in practice. And allowing for the fact that what individual travellers and families report as their reasons often will omit differences between their cases; I don't mean intentionally but rather that we don't always know what distinctions and differences between cases are considered important (e.g. 'family reunification' may be a good reason but do they ask for more detail? how much?).

One additional factor to keep in mind: it seems border agents are being demanding about the need for travellers to self-isolate (quarantine themselves) and to have specific plans for how and where they will do that. Presumably at minimum this would mean where they will stay, beyond that, I do not know. And it seems if the border agents are not convinced, travellers can be sent back.

Reactions: Empsam

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I'm not sure if anyone can say much more than 'sounds plausible' until such time as there are more cases reported of what airlines and border agents actually do in practice. And allowing for the fact that what individual travellers and families report as their reasons often will omit differences between their cases; I don't mean intentionally but rather that we don't always know what distinctions and differences between cases are considered important (e.g. 'family reunification' may be a good reason but do they ask for more detail? how much?).

One additional factor to keep in mind: it seems border agents are being demanding about the need for travellers to self-isolate (quarantine themselves) and to have specific plans for how and where they will do that. Presumably at minimum this would mean where they will stay, beyond that, I do not know. And it seems if the border agents are not convinced, travellers can be sent back.
Plausible sounds like a good start!! You bring up valid points, how do you go about proving you have an elderly Mother living alone? Copy of her ID and Birth Certificate, maybe? I imagine CBSA would be reluctant to turn people away but that doesn't mean they won't. We do have a plan for the self isolation and proof of where we would stay for that time.

Since there seems to be a lack of specific direction, it is left to the airline and CBSA to determine whether a person meets the restrictions.

Rushie38

Star Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hi, as per Shob890, same as him we applied for PR, no clear info online if they will stop processing applications. I'm done with biometrics and medical. They confirmed that I passed my medical exam last February 6. Until now no updates.

Thanks,

Anne
I have the same timeline...no update yet

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
April 10th update on travel to Canada and my scenario:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

They still have not defined what essential travel reasons are but they have specified what is not essential.

To board your flight to Canada, you must

• have your health checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID‑19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board.
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason and not for reasons that are optional or non-essential, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA) and a valid passport to fly to Canada

I wish to travel home to care for my elderly Mother who lives alone and I want to bring my wife and son with me. Both of them have PR apps in process and both currently have TRV's. In the linked document it talks about traveling for family reunification. In our case I have a compelling reason to return home, and IMO my wife and son should be allowed to accompany me in order to maintain our family unity. That would be their essential reason to travel to Canada.

Who has been caring for your mother? Why can’t they continue?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Plausible sounds like a good start!! You bring up valid points, how do you go about proving you have an elderly Mother living alone? Copy of her ID and Birth Certificate, maybe? I imagine CBSA would be reluctant to turn people away but that doesn't mean they won't. We do have a plan for the self isolation and proof of where we would stay for that time.

Since there seems to be a lack of specific direction, it is left to the airline and CBSA to determine whether a person meets the restrictions.
What’s the definition of elderly anyway as it can differ based on perception. 60 plus, 70 plus 80 plus ? So you show an id and a birth certificate , then you need show how you are related. Is she a widow or a divorcee or a spinster might be next to show maybe living alone. Is she in the vulnerable category confined to her home during current emergency or is she relatively healthy, independent.

Assume anyway your isolation plan does not involve moving in with your mother straight away.

The challenge really is to get past the airline checkin given they are paranoid about letting people travel who do not satisfy the exemption criteria and seems like a lot of personal info to share with a checkin agent who if in doubt will seek guidance from Canada immigration directly.

Reactions: Empsam

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Who has been caring for your mother? Why can’t they continue?
Nobody. She is 80, I am 50, I feel that I should be the person to take the risk rather than allowing her to venture out by herself with the increased vulnerability of a senior. Lives in a rural area, no home delivery there. Semantics anyways, it's not about that. I am asking your opinion as to whether my wife and son would be able to accompany me since I am going there for a compelling reason ergo if that should allow them to, to keep our family united together.