+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid-19 - Travel Restrictions

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There are several threads here asking about the travel restrictions and exemptions - so starting one thread to summarise with key points. This is what I know so far; if I'm mistaken anywhere here, please correct me. I hope this helps, but I am not saying this is definitive.

Main point: detailed regulations or instructions not yet available. Travellers who are not already landed PRs or citizens may not be admitted to Canada or allowed to board flights.

-As of March 18, the detailed regulations on how key provisions will work have NOT been published. So except where clear or where nothing has changed, no-one knows. The situation is changing quickly and may change more. Wait for specific regulations and instructions to be published by the Government of Canada. Do NOT rely on unofficial sources.

-There is to be health screening: passengers who are presenting as ill and potentially infected with Covid-19 may not be allowed to travel. All travellers returning to Canada will be required to self-isolate upon return to Canada for 14 days.

-What is clear that Canadian PRs can return to Canada - with the usual requirements for documentation applying. Most other foreign nationals (with the exception of Americans) will not be allowed to enter for the time being.

-Important note: whether or not you believe you have the right to enter Canada, the airlines decide who can board based on the instructions they receive. Also note, travel restrictions in other countries may make finding connecting flights and transiting other countries challenging. Do not rely on previous exceptions made for transiting passengers, particularly if they involved leaving the airport (e.g. for PRs transiting through some countries). You may still be barred from boarding a plane even if a government press release indicates you may be allowed in (see 'immediate family members' below); rely only on detailed instructions.

What we do not know:
-PM Trudeau announced that "immediate family members of Canadian citizens" will be allowed into Canada. There is no further information yet as to how immediate family members is defined, nor what documentation will be required to demonstrate that a traveller is an immediate family member.

-COPR/Visa holders: those who have been approved and received their COPR/Visa are NOT permanent residents yet (by law). No-one knows if an exception will be made in such cases, i.e. if they will be treated 'as if' they were PRs for the purposes of travelling and landing. Wait until published government instructions are published and confirmed before making final plans; some news sources are reporting things that are NOT yet confirmed on this subject. (Note: the government previously published a note that COPR/Visa holders who cannot travel to Canada before the expiry of these docs will get some leniency. Details are not available. You will be required to explain and possibly document why you could not travel within the validity period).

Government resources available so far:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/canadas-reponse.html

Note: the announcement below refers to COPR holders - but was published before the March 16 travel restrictions announcement. It does not appear to indicate that COPR/Visa holders will be able to enter Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Canada / US border is now going to be closed to all but essential traffic. So that potentially means flapoling will no longer be possible.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/trump-confirms-canada-u-s-border-closing-ahead-of-trudeau-address-1.4857881
Yes, and thank you, I thought of mentioning this and forgot.

Same overall point applies: we do not know how they will define essential traffic. For example, whether family reunification or landing will be considered essential, or how to document, or if some sort of pre-approval would be needed. Wait for published, official information.

Flagpoling in particular might be an issue, since (sort of) involves both countries.

Reactions: DiiDii and scylla

Siddiqua

Star Member
Jan 4, 2020
Does the process of permanent resident visa will slow due to worlds quarantine? How long it would close? Does it affect on visa processing? Please help !!!

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Does the process of permanent resident visa will slow due to worlds quarantine? How long it would close? Does it affect on visa processing? Please help !!!
if you want answer just sometime read news on canada.ca ;) the rest of the info will be just assumptions

apsara81

Oct 13, 2019
I can add a little bit for the "immediate family members of Canadians"

Yesterday I spoke with CBSA directly. I was informed I should call them after talking with the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1 613-996-8885.

I explained to them that I am a Canadian abroad, with a young child who is also Canadian. Unfortunately my common-law wife (Childs mother) does not have status to enter Canada at the moment with her multiple entry TRV recently expiring... but i asked if that were to change by securing a visa to Canada would she be allowed to enter with the "Immediate Family" caveat. The CBSA said as long as I have a lot of proof of our relationship such as our child's birth cert with both our names, family history, declaration of common law or such that she would almost for sure be able to enter Canada with us. But it is still up to the discretion of CBSA at port of entry (YVR).

Further, the CBSA person said that it would be very important to notify or inquire with airlines as they may not let her board an airplane if they are not convinced that CBSA would allow her in. That might actually turn out to be more difficult to do.

Anyway, I don't have my hopes up of my family being able to get back to Canada together soon but im trying to be as prepared as possible if a miracle happes by chance.

Dont now if this helps anyone but good luck out there all!

Zettty1980

Star Member
May 22, 2019

Yesterday I spoke with CBSA directly. I was informed I should call them after talking with the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1 613-996-8885.

I explained to them that I am a Canadian abroad, with a young child who is also Canadian. Unfortunately my common-law wife (Childs mother) does not have status to enter Canada at the moment with her multiple entry TRV recently expiring... but i asked if that were to change by securing a visa to Canada would she be allowed to enter with the "Immediate Family" caveat. The CBSA said as long as I have a lot of proof of our relationship such as our child's birth cert with both our names, family history, declaration of common law or such that she would almost for sure be able to enter Canada with us. But it is still up to the discretion of CBSA at port of entry (YVR).

Further, the CBSA person said that it would be very important to notify or inquire with airlines as they may not let her board an airplane if they are not convinced that CBSA would allow her in. That might actually turn out to be more difficult to do.

Anyway, I don't have my hopes up of my family being able to get back to Canada together soon but im trying to be as prepared as possible if a miracle happes by chance.

Wow.. this is not good. Am a citizen. My husband just got his confirmation of permanent residence on Monday. I dont know if he will be let in too

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

This is very helpful and useful information. My guess - only a guess - is that this is roughly where they will end up in terms of policy.

It is a very good warning that the airlines are a key test - it doesn't matter at all if a CBSA hotline says you can enter if you can't board a plane.

But to repeat a warning: you can't rely (fully) upon a phone conversation; it won't help at the border (or on check-in). Final published instructions may differ, and documentation required can be tricky.

Again, I personally expect that the final regs will indeed implement what the PM announced, that 'immediate family' of citizens will be allowed in, and likely will include common law spouses. But their definition of immediate family and doc requirements may be different than what travellers think or can provide.

(Side note/example: I have a question for myself - not an urgent question but eventually - my spouse would theoretically be covered, and my daughter, but my stepsons - from spouse's previous marriage, not adopted by me - are not legally my immediate family members. Right now I have no idea whether we have a case, and have no idea how we would document that they are my sons for practical purposes. I'm not complaining as we do not intend to travel to Canada anytime soon, just saying there are a lot of corner cases that are not easy. Right now I just hope these temporary measures will be lifted before it becomes an urgent issue for us.)

• Sad
Reactions: Belarusian

Zettty1980

Star Member
May 22, 2019
This is very helpful and useful information. My guess - only a guess - is that this is roughly where they will end up in terms of policy.

It is a very good warning that the airlines are a key test - it doesn't matter at all if a CBSA hotline says you can enter if you can't board a plane.

But to repeat a warning: you can't rely (fully) upon a phone conversation; it won't help at the border (or on check-in). Final published instructions may differ, and documentation required can be tricky.

Again, I personally expect that the final regs will indeed implement what the PM announced, that 'immediate family' of citizens will be allowed in, and likely will include common law spouses. But their definition of immediate family and doc requirements may be different than what travellers think or can provide.

(Side note/example: I have a question for myself - not an urgent question but eventually - my spouse would theoretically be covered, and my daughter, but my stepsons - from spouse's previous marriage, not adopted by me - are not legally my immediate family members. Right now I have no idea whether we have a case, and have no idea how we would document that they are my sons for practical purposes. I'm not complaining as we do not intend to travel to Canada anytime soon, just saying there are a lot of corner cases that are not easy. Right now I just hope these temporary measures will be lifted before it becomes an urgent issue for us.)
I just wish the government will just put it out there clearly what it is.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I just wish the government will just put it out there clearly what it is.
I agree. To be a bit sympathetic, it's not easy to come up with precise regs that cover all cases, it is an emergency, and - to be blunt - they have more pressing concerns than a few hundred COPR holders (number is a wild guess, no idea what the real number is) and some other edge cases. Trade with the USA every day is hundreds of millions of dollars, and healthcare expenses also very large numbers.

Zettty1980

Star Member
May 22, 2019
I agree. To be a bit sympathetic, it's not easy to come up with precise regs that cover all cases, it is an emergency, and - to be blunt - they have more pressing concerns than a few hundred COPR holders (number is a wild guess, no idea what the real number is) and some other edge cases. Trade with the USA every day is hundreds of millions of dollars, and healthcare expenses also very large numbers.
I agree

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Update official publication:
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

(Note: orders-in-council are 'the government'. In short form, in this context they are basically the implementing regulations under the laws referenced).

There may be further detailed implementing instructions and the like published by the various departments clarifying certain aspects, like what documentation might be required.

Warning: as far as I am aware, none of the below removes the need for a visa.

THE SUMMARY
-Immediate family of citizens and permanent residents will be allowed into Canada. (Note: this goes further than what the PM announced)
-Immediate family: the definition of immediate family is essentially the same as for immigration under "family sponsorship": spouse, common-law partner, dependent children (including dependent children of the spouse/common-law partner i.e. step-children), and dependent children of dependent children.

Note: while this document does not specifically address whether COPR/visa holders will be able to enter Canada, for family class principal applicants (and their family members) - all of whom are sponsored by a spouse or common-law partner (or parent), these provisions should suffice to allow them to enter.

One small warning: as mentioned above, the airlines must let you board your flight. But this order-in-council is plainly and simply written mostly, and seems to use the definitions most are used to, so the airlines should be able to get up to speed fairly quickly. (Note, you can certainly print and bring a copy of the order-in-council with you to airport. Your mileage may vary, no guarantees, etc.

I do not know how this may apply to other categories of immigration, etc.

This is only my interpretation of the order-in-council - if any mistakes are found, please post in this thread. I also expect most will want to hear experiences of others actually travelling and whether it all goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Update official publication:
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

(Note: orders-in-council are 'the government'. In short form, in this context they are basically the implementing regulations under the laws referenced).

There may be further detailed implementing instructions and the like published by the various departments clarifying certain aspects, like what documentation might be required.

Warning: as far as I am aware, none of the below removes the need for a visa.

THE SUMMARY
-Immediate family of citizens and permanent residents will be allowed into Canada. (Note: this goes further than what the PM announced)
-Immediate family: the definition of immediate family is essentially the same as for immigration under "family sponsorship": spouse, common-law partner, dependent children, and dependent children of the dependent child (and their dependent children).

Note: while this document does not specifically address whether COPR/visa holders will be able to enter Canada, for family class principal applicants (and their family members) - all of whom are sponsored by a spouse or common-law partner, these provisions should suffice to allow them to enter.

One small warning: as mentioned above, the airlines must let you board your flight. But this order-in-council is plainly and simply written mostly, and seems to use the definitions most are used to, so the airlines should be able to get up to speed fairly quickly. (Note, you can certainly print and bring a copy of the order-in-council with you to airport. Your mileage may vary, no guarantees, etc.

I do not know how this may apply to other categories of immigration, etc.

This is only my interpretation of the order-in-council - if any mistakes are found, please post in this thread. I also expect most will want to hear experiences of others actually travelling and whether it all goes smoothly.
a person who is authorized, in writing, by a consular officer of the Government of Canada to enter Canada for the purpose of reuniting immediate family members - I think it say about PA who received COPR
armoured thanks for good news:cool:

Reactions: El Jefe and hinavin