+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID-19 Laid OFF PNP employer based program connect here..!!

Esumalinog

Nov 21, 2018
Hi! I applied for Alberta Opportunity Stream January 2020. I got layed off from work since March 2020 because of Covid, an AINP officer called me on May 4, 2020 asking if I am still working, that is a week after AINP emailed about the changes to application due to Covid. I told her I am currently lay off so she told me she cannot process my application until I can get back to work either to my employer or to find another employer as long as it on the same NOC. And right now she put my application on hold for 60 days.

I am currently 8months pregnant and probably would give birth middle of June 2020, thats 7 weeks more. I explained it to her and she told me once I give birth and applied fot maternity leave and still haven't got back to work my application will be cancelled. I am under PGWP and my permit will expire June 2021 exactly 1 year of my maternity leave. My timing is pretty tight now because of Covid. And the officer didnt understand my situation that its because of this virus I was layed off and I have no choice but to stay home (by the way I am a cook). And also knowing I already have 1year work experience to be qualified to apply for AINP thats why I was confident before I received a call from an officer. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Hi! I applied for Alberta Opportunity Stream January 2020. I got layed off from work since March 2020 because of Covid, an AINP officer called me on May 4, 2020 asking if I am still working, that is a week after AINP emailed about the changes to application due to Covid. I told her I am currently lay off so she told me she cannot process my application until I can get back to work either to my employer or to find another employer as long as it on the same NOC. And right now she put my application on hold for 60 days.

I am currently 8months pregnant and probably would give birth middle of June 2020, thats 7 weeks more. I explained it to her and she told me once I give birth and applied fot maternity leave and still haven't got back to work my application will be cancelled. I am under PGWP and my permit will expire June 2021 exactly 1 year of my maternity leave. My timing is pretty tight now because of Covid. And the officer didnt understand my situation that its because of this virus I was layed off and I have no choice but to stay home (by the way I am a cook). And also knowing I already have 1year work experience to be qualified to apply for AINP thats why I was confident before I received a call from an officer. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!
They treat each application on a case by case basis. You can call their call centre to see the options available to you. Saskatchewan offers nominees a maximum of 6 months to find a job with another employer in the same NOC before they withdraw your nomination due to Covid job related loss.
AINP offers only 2 months.When you call or send an inquiry you may want to ask if there is an option it can be extended,given your exceptional circumstance.
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/immigration-faqs

No applicant is is at ease right now, with the delay in processing times and threats of lay-offs everyday.

Last edited:

Robertogogr

Star Member
May 8, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have same situation with you guys. I got my nomination letter and I mailed my PR application in March then I got laid off.
I emailed to PNP office (AB) about my employment status due to COVID-19.
This is the answer that I received :
Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated on your employment status. The AINP will continue to support your nomination as you met the working requirements at the time of assessment. Be sure to keep us informed once your employment resumes.
I understand that this is a difficult situation. I hope you are able to stay safe and healthy.

I think they are pretty understanding for this epidemic. :)
Hi! have you had any news from AINP for EE? Im on the same boat! I got my Confirmation of nomination issued on Feb 19 and got my AOR April 8and got laid off March 29, I'm not sure if they will continue to support my nomination or they going to put my nomination on hold for 60 days (I didn't get any response from AINP when I Notified from my employment status

Tinytown

Aug 26, 2019
Hi! have you had any news from AINP for EE? Im on the same boat! I got my Confirmation of nomination issued on Feb 19 and got my AOR April 8and got laid off March 29, I'm not sure if they will continue to support my nomination or they going to put my nomination on hold for 60 days (I didn't get any response from AINP when I Notified from my employment status
Hi, I am facing the same situation. I also informed AINP office about my unemployment but I did not receive any response. My PR application is at Background check. I am not sure what will happen after two months if I still cannot find a job (which is more likely the case). Would they revoke the nomination, then my PR (EE stream) will be gone also. Please share your experience. Thank you.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Hi, I am facing the same situation. I also informed AINP office about my unemployment but I did not receive any response. My PR application is at Background check. I am not sure what will happen after two months if I still cannot find a job (which is more likely the case). Would they revoke the nomination, then my PR (EE stream) will be gone also. Please share your experience. Thank you.
Lets hope AINP increases the time to 6 months like Saskatchewan. It is almost impossible to get a job within 2 months when non-essential businesses are still yet to open.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Your maternity leave may also be affected and actually start now. Unfortunately you may have to take a much shorter maternity leave in order to qualify for AINP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes unfortunately they will revoke the nomination. Alberta, and other provinces, don’t want to approve a lot of people if they are unemployed.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Yes unfortunately they will revoke the nomination. Alberta, and other provinces, don’t want to approve a lot of people if they are unemployed.
This are exceptional circumstances and thousands of nominees across the country have lost their jobs. Under the current environment it will take on average 4-6 months to get a full-time job if you get laid-off, while there is a gradual re-opening of businesses.
They make updates every couple of weeks to the application and assessment processes due to Covid. If we are lucky, they will make changes to take account for the time it will take to get a new job if you get laid off under the current circumstances.

Last edited:

Ravi saab

Oct 28, 2016
Niagara Falls
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-04-2019
Doc's Request.
13-02-2020
Nomination.....
19-06-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2020
Med's Done....
10-06-2020
these are just assumptions. if you have situation contact your province, they will tell you what to do, if they dont reply you back doesnt mean they ll withdraw your nomination. Dont just get frustrated unless it is officially announced by the Provincial Government. Even IRCC had reduced their staff and limited services due to covid-19. Good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This are exceptional circumstances and thousands of nominees across the country have lost their jobs. Under the current environment it will take on average 4-6 months to get a full-time job if you get laid-off, while there is a gradual re-opening of businesses.
They make updates every couple of weeks to the application and assessment processes due to Covid. If we are lucky, they will make changes to take account for the time it will take to get a new job if you get laid off under the current circumstances.
Aren’t they giving people 60 days. Unfortunately having unemployed PRs doesn’t benefit the provinces either. We’ll need to see if they become more flexible but I would start looking for a plan B, C, D..

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Aren’t they giving people 60 days. Unfortunately having unemployed PRs doesn’t benefit the provinces either. We’ll need to see if they become more flexible but I would start looking for a plan B, C, D..
Saskathewan is giving people 6 months which is reasonable and enough time to find another job if you get laid-off.While other provinces offer 2 months,which will be daunting task if you happen to lose your job.
Only plan feasible right now is to hold on to your job . You can only make an alternative plan, when the economy opens up again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Saskathewan is giving people 6 months which is reasonable and enough time to find another job if you get laid-off.While other provinces offer 2 months,which will be daunting task if you happen to lose your job.
Only plan feasible right now is to hold on to your job . You can only make an alternative plan, when the economy opens up again.
Every province has there own prerogative. The issue becomes that you end up a large number of files that are on pause. These PNP programs are created to slowly introduce workers into the economy. In terms of Alberta many of the jobs will unfortunately be gone whether it is 2 months or 6 months from now. You will just have to monitor what happens in Alberta and write an email to your MLA and MP suggesting that Alberta give people 6 months as well.