+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona Virus threat to Travel , COPR expires on 24th April 2020

niti_ydv

Mar 18, 2020
You’re under quarantine so don’t you have to stay inside :) No hiring going on either so not a great time to move.
Well I am not sure if you know, most of us are working from home :) every case is different. I just wanted to post it for people in same boat as me. We sat in our car from US and only got down at immigration and straight came to our airbnb. I think we are educated enough to understand what needs to be done. Ofcourse if it is not urgent, avoid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well I am not sure if you know, most of us are working from home :) every case is different. I just wanted to post it for people in same boat as me. We sat in our car from US and only got down at immigration and straight came to our airbnb. I think we are educated enough to understand what needs to be done. Ofcourse if it is not urgent, avoid.
Unfortunately many are not able to work from home. Actually a shocking amount of people are not following the guidelines. Lots of snowbirds were stopping at Walmart in Canada on the way to Ottawa. Someone has to stand watch and talk to them when they got out to shop.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hey. I don’t know if this helps anyone. I crossed the border At Detroit Windsor tunnel via car on COPR. Fairly easy process. They did ask why it is essential for us to travel. I explained. They were good about it. Only catch is they are not issuing SIN numbers In person for another 3 weeks. It can only be done by post. So keep that in mind.
Welcome to Canada! (surely you must have been here before - but like welcome as New Canadians)

Next, think we owe you gratitude for taking out the time to share your experience - as New Canadian one has millions of other things to action. Bless you n hubby for carrying your jobs over.

All things and situations considered, your taxes are going to help.
Also, assuming, You are not consuming services that is invested in for new comers to settle in. Plus contributing to the economy! (Insurance, AirB&B, house, food, supplies, services...).

So - welcome! Stay safe.

Reactions: niti_ydv

ANEESHRDD

Jun 30, 2019
Hello All,

I am an Indian National living in United States and have got approval for Canadian PR under Express Entry on March 4th 2020, I was requested to send in my Passport for stamping and received my Initial PR documents (COPR) and VISA stamped on my passport to travel to Canada on March 16th 2020 and the Expiry date on the VISA/COPR is June 15th 2020.

What is the process to travel to Canada once you get the COPR?, I want to get my PR card renewal and return back to United States to complete my Masters Program which I am graduating in December 2020 and planning on moving to Canada Permanently after my graduation.

I Believe Canada is going to close its borders for all Countries including United States. Can I delay or request to extend the travel date to Canada due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic?

Please advise me on what can be done in my current situation?

Thanks in Advance.
Aneesh

niti_ydv

Mar 18, 2020
Welcome to Canada! (surely you must have been here before - but like welcome as New Canadians)

Next, think we owe you gratitude for taking out the time to share your experience - as New Canadian one has millions of other things to action. Bless you n hubby for carrying your jobs over.

All things and situations considered, your taxes are going to help.
Also, assuming, You are not consuming services that is invested in for new comers to settle in. Plus contributing to the economy! (Insurance, AirB&B, house, food, supplies, services...).

So - welcome! Stay safe.
Thanks for the positive welcome amidst all the uncertainty thats going on around us! :)

Reactions: hinavin

Hrishi2704

Jul 30, 2018
Hey. I don’t know if this helps anyone. I crossed the border At Detroit Windsor tunnel via car on COPR. Fairly easy process. They did ask why it is essential for us to travel. I explained. They were good about it. Only catch is they are not issuing SIN numbers In person for another 3 weeks. It can only be done by post. So keep that in mind.
Hi Niti. Thanks for the information.

The only reason to raise that query was to ensure that I would be able to cross the border hassle free. Because, I am in a situation wherein, if I am turned back from the Canadian border, I would essentially get stuck as I won't have sufficient documentation to return to the US.

What exactly did they ask you? and what was your response?

niti_ydv

Mar 18, 2020
Hi Niti. Thanks for the information.

The only reason to raise that query was to ensure that I would be able to cross the border hassle free. Because, I am in a situation wherein, if I am turned back from the Canadian border, I would essentially get stuck as I won't have sufficient documentation to return to the US.

What exactly did they ask you? and what was your response?
You will not get stuck. We called the border agency before crossing and they said they are allowing COPRs. It was fairly smooth at the border. They asked if we had COVID symptoms and we said no. Thats it

SonaCanada

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Dear All,
The below is the response from IRCC from London office for the request for the COPR extension. it’s a generic response only.

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received four enquiries from you regarding travel to Canada within the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

While we understand that this is a challenging time for many, please note that sending repeated case status enquiries takes resources away from file processing and other activities, resulting in longer processing times for everyone.

Please note that travel restrictions have been implemented to protect Canada from the outbreak of COVID-19. Only Canadian citizens, and permanent residents, as well as some foreign nationals travelling from the United States (US) who have been in the US for at least 14 days and are asymptomatic, will be able to enter Canada by air. There are, however, some exemptions to these restrictions.

Included in the exemptions under the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19 are:

· immediate family members of Canadian citizens

· immediate family members of Canadian permanent residents

In the Interim Order, immediate family member, in respect of a person, means

· the spouse or common-law partner of the person

· a dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

· a dependent child of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b)

· the parent or step-parent of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

· the guardian or tutor of the person

Travellers are expected to demonstrate to airlines at the point of boarding that they are exempt under this provision by presenting documentation to establish their family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status and their relationship to that family member. Recommended documentation for travel is listed below.

Documentation showing travelers immediate family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status, such as a

· Canadian passport

· Canadian permanent resident card

Documentation showing their relationship to that family member, such as

· a marriage or common-law status certificate

· a birth certificate

Regular travel document requirements (passports, visas / eTAs) for air travel and entry to Canada continue to apply.

Note: the announced travel exemption for foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before March 16, 2020, is not yet in effect. As such, persons who do not otherwise fall under an exemption (for example, as immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) should not seek to travel to Canada yet. Please monitor the IRCC website for updates.

Please be advised that you will not be penalized if you are unable to travel within the validity of your documents. If you are unable to travel before your documents expire, please contact our office using a IRCC Web form within 90 days following expiry of your documents.

***Please consult IRCC’s special measures to help clients affected by COVID‑19 and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information on COVID-19 and how it is affecting IRCC operations.***

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Dear All,
The below is the response from IRCC from London office for the request for the COPR extension. it’s a generic response only.

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received four enquiries from you regarding travel to Canada within the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

While we understand that this is a challenging time for many, please note that sending repeated case status enquiries takes resources away from file processing and other activities, resulting in longer processing times for everyone.

Please note that travel restrictions have been implemented to protect Canada from the outbreak of COVID-19. Only Canadian citizens, and permanent residents, as well as some foreign nationals travelling from the United States (US) who have been in the US for at least 14 days and are asymptomatic, will be able to enter Canada by air. There are, however, some exemptions to these restrictions.

Included in the exemptions under the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19 are:

· immediate family members of Canadian citizens

· immediate family members of Canadian permanent residents

In the Interim Order, immediate family member, in respect of a person, means

· the spouse or common-law partner of the person

· a dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

· a dependent child of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b)

· the parent or step-parent of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

· the guardian or tutor of the person

Travellers are expected to demonstrate to airlines at the point of boarding that they are exempt under this provision by presenting documentation to establish their family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status and their relationship to that family member. Recommended documentation for travel is listed below.

Documentation showing travelers immediate family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status, such as a

· Canadian passport

· Canadian permanent resident card

Documentation showing their relationship to that family member, such as

· a marriage or common-law status certificate

· a birth certificate

Regular travel document requirements (passports, visas / eTAs) for air travel and entry to Canada continue to apply.

Note: the announced travel exemption for foreign nationals who were approved for permanent residence before March 16, 2020, is not yet in effect. As such, persons who do not otherwise fall under an exemption (for example, as immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) should not seek to travel to Canada yet. Please monitor the IRCC website for updates.

Please be advised that you will not be penalized if you are unable to travel within the validity of your documents. If you are unable to travel before your documents expire, please contact our office using a IRCC Web form within 90 days following expiry of your documents.

***Please consult IRCC’s special measures to help clients affected by COVID‑19 and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information on COVID-19 and how it is affecting IRCC operations.***

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.
It is a generic response yes , but at least there is very positive part by the end

Reactions: Doc7orAn!sh

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So self isolation now mandatory for any traveller arriving from outside of Canada with exception essential workers, Every arrival must go straight to place of residence without stopping off for anything or using any public transport and anyone breaking the isolation or refusing could be fined significantly up to 750k or worst case subject to jail time 6 months.

How they will enforce this is still an open question but people really need to take this seriously regardless .

Assume an official IRCC/CBSA posting will follow but here are couple of the press reports

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mandatory-quarantine-hajdu-1.5509508

https://globalnews.ca/news/6730541/coronavirus-canada-mandatory-isolation-border-crossers/

Even if airlines were flying not a good time for new immigrants to come to Canada at the moment

Last edited:

Hrishi2704

Jul 30, 2018
You will not get stuck. We called the border agency before crossing and they said they are allowing COPRs. It was fairly smooth at the border. They asked if we had COVID symptoms and we said no. Thats it
Perfect. Glad to know that. Thanks for this information Niti. I'll call the border before making any move.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Im wondering if this exception also apply to land border? I am planning to do flagpoling at Regway SK.
1. You will probably be wasting your time. From CBSA

Travellers
Work permit, study permit and confirmation of permanent residence requests

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Immigration services
Travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential. If you are in Canada, and are seeking to travel to the border in order to make an application for a work permit, study permit or permanent residence, you are asked to consider federal and provincial guidelines for self-isolation and social distancing. Do not travel to the border for these services until further notice. If you are currently in Canada as a visitor, student or worker, you can apply online to IRCC to extend your temporary resident status. By doing so, you can continue to stay, study or work in Canada while your application is being processed. This is referred to as implied status, and as long as you apply before your current document expires, your current immigration authorizations and conditions remain unchanged. In-Canada services are available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.