+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona Virus threat to Travel , COPR expires on 24th April 2020

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Agreed. Too many people fail to understand the meaning of "self isolation". I know people who have returned from international holidays and stopped off on their way home from the airport at the grocery store/gas station/liquor store/etc. to stock up for their "isolation". Absolute effing morons.

If a new immigrant lands in Canada with no family/friends around, staying at an AirBnB/hotel, what are the chances that they are actually going to truly self-isloate? Pretty much nil.
This is so serious that anyone newly arrived in the country found not to be self isolating should be fined 5000 CDN minimum . As new PRs would get complicated to deport them but not so complicated if an immediate family member on a TRV of a citizen or PR so EVERYONE must take this seriously and self isolate and keep their distance from others.

Really cannot understand why anyone would consider travelling now even if they have wrapped up their work in home country, nobody will be hiring in Canada for months, transport will start shutting down and in reality they will be a lot worse off as new immigrants

Reactions: canuck78

kushalk14

Star Member
Mar 9, 2016
India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24th Feb 2016
AOR Received.
24th feb 2016
Hi Experts,

I am caught in a very uncomfortable situation, need your help. I was planning to do my soft landing in Toronto on 24th March 2020 as my COPR expires on 24th April 2020. I have not yet booked my flight tickets . I am an Indian resident and travel plan is from New Delhi India to Toronto.

According to the new travel advisory published by 'Consulate General Of India Toronto' all the international travelers are advised to not travel till 15th April 2020 to India.

Please check the link 'https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/alert_detail.php?newsid=72' , I guess if I go to Canada , the chances of be admitted in quarantine for 14 days in India is a lot.

Please advise can CIC give me extension on my COPR.

Awaiting your response anxiously.

Thanks & Regards,
Harshal
Hi,

My brother is a COPR and was travelling on mar 21 via frankfurt he was not allowed to board the plane and has been asked to return to his destination of origin. the decision was made by a member of the canadian embassy. so i would recommend CoPRs to apply for an extension instead. you might also need a new medical certificate. I believe they had not read the new instructions announced yesterday

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019
I totally agree with you. But we already made all the arrangements to travel on 24th March 2020 such as resigned from job and now in the temporary visa and we have no choice, we need to land to Canada only. Hope all will be fine soon.
Wishing you good luck, please let us know once you reach safely.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I totally agree with you. But we already made all the arrangements to travel on 24th March 2020 such as resigned from job and now in the temporary visa and we have no choice, we need to land to Canada only. Hope all will be fine soon.
I would try to make arrangements before you leave because you have to go from the airport straight to quarantine for 14 days.

canpun

Mar 22, 2020
Hi Folks
We are in a similar situation - COPR expirying 30th May - travel is booked for 6th April and return for 13th April
( Yes we planned soft landing travelling ). given the unpredicatable situation : please advise

1. Will COPR be extempt to travel - IRCC is due to fix the list of exemptions next week ( Though I want to activate my PR before 30th May ; don't want to go throught the hassle again )
2. Does IRCC extend COPR expiry and VISA expiry date ? (
3. If Answer is No to above question; What else do we have to re-do (m aware only about medical tests )

Whososever is travelling in April - lets form a group

Reactions: hinavin

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Folks
We are in a similar situation - COPR expirying 30th May - travel is booked for 6th April and return for 13th April
( Yes we planned soft landing travelling ). given the unpredicatable situation : please advise

1. Will COPR be extempt to travel - IRCC is due to fix the list of exemptions next week ( Though I want to activate my PR before 30th May ; don't want to go throught the hassle again )
3. If Answer is No to above question; What else do we have to re-do (m aware only about medical tests )

Maybe stating the obvious but You realise there will be a 14 day self isolation requirement on arrival which if you follow as you should means that even if you leave April 13th you will not be able to do a lot. Add to that many businesses could be in shutdown mode and transport restricted. Have you checked recently your airline is still planning to fly on those dates and do you have a plan B should the return be cancelled ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Folks

Very high chance your flight will be cancelled. Agree that if your flight isn’t cancelled best to book yourself into the airport hotel, not leave your room and leave again since you will be under a 14 day quarantine.

wayneleung

Star Member
Aug 23, 2018
Hi all,

Does anyone know if POE letter holder (for getting a work permit at CBSA in the first POE) is considered as "all of the other temporary foreign workers"?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Folks

Who would have thought that Emirates would cancel ALL flights from March 25 so stresses a very risky time to make assumptions about travel at the moment given other airlines are likely to follow

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/the-emirates-groups-business-response-to-covid-19-updated/

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
My CoPR expires on 31st March and I booked my tickets for 24th March before the coronavirus started but due to all this coronavirus mess and travel bans rescheduled flight to 21st March yesterday which is the earliest ticket I could manage to get. It's hard to even find a seat on a plane right now.
Could u reach?

neeti2090

Feb 8, 2017
Hello

Am in similar situation. COPR for parents expiring soon in April. Did anyone land in Toronto from India recently? please let us know.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Assumed it was coming. The airlines aren’t going to fly with mostly empty planes and risk bringing covid into countries. Assume Air Canada and West jet will stop soon too.
Seems maybe money or government threats have influenced Emirates now only 2 weeks suspension and if you believe the press there are even some exceptions for those 2 weeks. Suspect the exception countries, not menetioned by Emirates, will only only allow boarding for speific categories as repat flights so citizens or PRs of those countries

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/travel-updates/#3515