+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and Travel Restrictions

asdq45

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
Yes, all other "in-laws" are extended. I didn't know you were referring to siblings-in-law. We usually mean spouse's parents when we say in-laws
Sorry wasn't clearer earlier. This question was asked in multiple threads and no one seemed to have direct answer when it comes to filling imm006 for extended family exemption when it comes to brother/sister in law. So that would be the 5th checkbox?

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Sorry wasn't clearer earlier. This question was asked in multiple threads and no one seemed to have direct answer when it comes to filling imm006 for extended family exemption when it comes to brother/sister in law. So that would be the 5th checkbox?

Yes, the 5th fits your requirement

asdq45

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
Yes, the 5th fits your requirement
Thanks for the confirmation.
Is there any legal citing we can use since it would be a task to prove to oath commissioner that sis/bro in laws comes under the 5th checkbox?

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Thanks for the confirmation.
Is there any legal citing we can use since it would be a task to prove to oath commissioner that sis/bro in laws comes under the 5th checkbox?
Are you asking about any documentary proof to show that they're your bro/sis in law? That is not asked for, but if so, they'd certainly have their own docs to prove that they are from your spouse's family

asdq45

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
So guys once you have that written authorization, can you travel with a valid COPR and PRV?
No. After the doc is signed by any of those listed, you submit to ircc for AL for you to travel which they say will process in 14 days.

Are you asking about any documentary proof to show that they're your bro/sis in law? That is not asked for, but if so, they'd certainly have their own docs to prove that they are from your spouse's family
I refer to the extended family explanation so if oath commissioner asks if sis-in-law is covered under extended family exemption. Since the imm006 doc suggests only for siblings,half-siblings and step siblings.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
No. After the doc is signed by any of those listed, you submit to ircc for AL for you to travel which they say will process in 14 days.

I refer to the extended family explanation so if oath commissioner asks if sis-in-law is covered under extended family exemption. Since the imm006 doc suggests only for siblings,half-siblings and step siblings.
Okay, but it does mention "siblings of my spouse", so that covers it. Is this person not a sister of your spouse?

asdq45

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
Okay, but it does mention "siblings of my spouse", so that covers it. Is this person not a sister of your spouse?
In my case and most of it, sis-in-law would be spouse of my sibling.

Thanks for the patience and answers.

Yassinesnit

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020

Yes but I meant with written authorization 'AL'. Once you receive it from IRCC under Extended Family. Are you good to go?

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
@addy442 Best of luck buddy!! please keep us posted. I received my written authorization (extended family member) today and I'm COPR and Visa holder (post March 18th).
Would my wife need an Authorization letter if she is coming to meet me, Her PR husband on Feb 20? Although i know she would definitely require Arrivecan, PCR test, Passport with Visa and COPR and i guess also a $2000 receipt of her hotel stay.

ssp2020

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
I think she'll need a written authorization from IRCC
Wouldn’t she be considered as immediate family? If yes, below should apply to her, right?

Recommended documentation for travel
Note: Immediate family members of Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents do not require any written authorization from IRCC.

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
I think she'll need a written authorization from IRCC
But my wife is my immediate family member and as per below from the govt. Website she doesn't need one.

Who is an immediate family member
An immediate family member is defined as a

What to do to unite with your immediate family member
You do not need a written authorization from us confirming that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions.