+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Dear Expert,

The validity of my CoPR had expired in Oct'2020 and I could not travel because of the covid situation around the world.
Recently I got any email from IRCC to confirm if I could travel before 1st April 2021 and reply to the email. Unfortunately I cannot travel to Canada right not as well because of Covid risk and restrictions.

It will be a great help if someone can reply my few questions.

1. Should I reply the email stating that I cannot travel to Canada before 1st April 2020? I am asking this because the email say that "Reply if you can travel before the mentioned date"
2. Is this the lsat chance to get the extension of my CoPR?
3. If I am ready to get my re-medical done in future, will I be granted the CoPR extension again?

Kindly suggest what should be my move in this case, as I am strictly not able to travel before 1st April, I can only travel once the situation related to Covid gets better.
Hi, I got my COPR in Oct 2022 with the visa validity until Feb 2021. I write duely a letter to IRCC explaining my situation and asked for an extension ( my agent submitted it through email webform I guess) they granted me an extension till Oct 2021. I think you should do the same. Write to them clearly explaining your problems and tell them that you are ready to a medical test even. I’m sure they will give you an extension. Good luck

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hello everyone,

I have some questions on obtaining PRTD from India. I am currently in Canada and will be traveling to India end of this month. I am a PR, however I don't have my PR card yet. I need to obtain the PRTD to fly back to Canada. My return would be tentatively during March 1st week (Yet to book return flight)

1. What would be the ideal processing time for the PRTD?
2. Can I still apply via email? If yes, how to send the passport and photos?
3. Is a return ticket mandatory while applying for PRTD? If I have one does it increase the possibility of getting it quicker?

Any other suggestions to make the process easier from my end? Thank you so much. I appreciate your time in reading my post.
Your answers:

1. You can check it online. It is constantly varying but its more than usual processing time. I think it was 2-3 weeks before pandemic.

2. There is whole process to apply for PRTD. An application will be opened for it. Once it is approved, you will be directed about passports & photos. Here is the link to help you: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

3. Nothing like that. There is no way to make it quicker, not at least in current scenario.

Suggestions: Do your research before applying for anything. Every information is online.

Hope this helps

Reactions: WantToImmigrate

simwas

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

We have received your request to travel using your expired Confirmation of Permanent Residence document. IRCC is currently working on your case. You will be receiving further information from us in the coming weeks with regards to the documents you will need to travel.

So i got this mail a week ago. How long is "the coming weeks".?. If anyone got an update for a similar email like the above. How long did it take for IRCC to update?
I also received the same email on Dec 19th and then there was no update for a while. But yesterday the status of my application changed from 'Approved' to 'Submitted' and old counterfoil details have disappeared, medicals changed from 'You passed the medical exam' to 'You do not need a medical exam, we will inform you if this changes', no changes other than these.

COPR issued - Feb 27th, expired - July 28th.
i also received the same email on 24th dec n on 25th dec my application status changed to 'in process'.also its showing that i have passed my medicals.my copr expired on 14th may.

Reactions: Craigcaeiro

Djsingh44

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Germany
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
22-12-2019
Med's Done....
13-01-2020
Hi @legalfalcon @13nitinsharma and others,

I got Travel AL today.
I applied for AL under extended family members category (CoPR post 18th March). My mother is in canada as Canadian PR and hence i am extended family member being a non-dependent adult child.
When i applied for AL, i mentioned details for me, my wife and my son. But in the Authorization letter, i starts with details about application number, my UCI, my passport number and authorization status approved. No mention of my wife and my son in the approval email.

Are they also approved as part of same AL? any information on that?
Though my PPR letter also had information about my UCI and application number only so not sure if AL also applies to all 3 travellers like PPR letter.

Please anyone's inputs will be highly appreciated.

Best regards

Reactions: WantToImmigrate

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada

I got Travel AL today.
I applied for AL under extended family members category (CoPR post 18th March). My mother is in canada as Canadian PR and hence i am extended family member being a non-dependent adult child.
When i applied for AL, i mentioned details for me, my wife and my son. But in the Authorization letter, i starts with details about application number, my UCI, my passport number and authorization status approved. No mention of my wife and my son in the approval email.

Though my PPR letter also had information about my UCI and application number only so not sure if AL also applies to all 3 travellers like PPR letter.

Best regards
When ALs are issued, they are individually as per the number of applicants in an application. So, ideally if you are family of 3, so you should receive 3 authorization letters as per the standard process (individual names printed on respective ALs).

Djsingh44

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Germany
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
22-12-2019
Med's Done....
13-01-2020
When ALs are issued, they are individually as per the number of applicants in an application. So, ideally if you are family of 3, so you should receive 3 authorization letters as per the standard process (individual names printed on respective ALs).
Hi @13nitinsharma,

I was also thinking same. But just to find out any sort of confirmation, won't my wife and son become my immediate family members and hence not requiring AL?

as per IRCC website:
What to do to unite with your immediate family member
You do not need a written authorization from us confirming that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions.

Else since AL is valid for 6 months, till then will wait for dependents AL or travel restrictions going away.

Last edited:

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020
No idea.. and as for enlightenment here you go

Kidding.. let us know your situation.. which group you fall into.. I don't want to assume you are from group 3 because you pasted some text from IRCC's site..
Im under group 3..copr expired in May 2020,,applied outside canada but currently in canada on closed work permit,and not landed yet.,dependents still outside..

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

I got Travel AL today.

Best regards
No, you are the extended family, not your spouse and child. You requested an AL to join your extended family, i.e. your mother.

Djsingh44

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Germany
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
22-12-2019
Med's Done....
13-01-2020
No, you are the extended family, not your spouse and child. You requested an AL to join your extended family, i.e. your mother.
Thanks for the reply @legalfalcon
Do you think it is a hassle free route if being primary applicant, i travel first and my wife and son can join a month later and being my immediate family members they will not need AL?

Last edited:

Obamayang

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
@legalfalcon

My application is of 2019, but due to birth of newborn and addition which happened in March 2020 I have got my ppr and then copr only in dec 2020. However, my and my husbands copr is valid till may 2021 as we have got the grace automatic I extension of 6 months. But for my son the copr is valid only till march 2021 as I guess his medicals are yet to expire.

Considering that travel restrictions are in place and we see no sign of it being lifted, should I write to ircc for extension of copr for my son or wait for it to expire and then again wait for ircc to contact us.

Pls advice!

pisces88

Apr 4, 2019
I raised for travel exemption with exactly same conditions. Yet to get a reply. When did you raised the exemption? Via webform or email?
Hi, when did you r

I got Travel AL today.

Best regards
Hi,
If you dont mind me asking, when did you apply for the exemption?

KSAimmCan

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
FSW
I dont know that you will be allowed to board Qatar. Please check
Oh. I thought as per bubble agreement anyone with valid visas were allowed.

Could someone please advise on which airline carriers in India are accepting and allowing PR visa holders to travel for sure.

Thx