+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

diljot5

Jan 23, 2020
Hi guys, got an update after 8 days of submitting my passport. My counterfoil date will expire on the 25th of Jan, 2021. AOR was 5 Feb 2020. No idea why they didn't extend my medical. However, I don't want to expire my CoPR. Some people are saying if airlines allow me to travel, I am good to go. Is it true? What if CBSA turned me back to my country? I am also thinking about the after-effect. Since it would be violating their restriction, will they issue my PR card in normal process? Lot more tasks to do; yet to resign from job, buying tickets, renting houses etc....
Sailing in same boat :(
Might be they have some plans to allow expiring CoPR soon.

pororo

Jul 2, 2019
Nothing in particular, Just my random thinking. Now the Dec / Jan COPR holders will have a headache for COPR extension, re-medical & PPR. Feb/March COPR holders will be in tight schedule to manage everything if there is some ease in restriction announced on 21st Jan. Mine COPR & Medical is expiring in March. At short time it will hard to quit the current job, get the airlines ticket, book the apartment, to get reasonable price hotel for quarantine, manage good school for kids etc etc. I am based in other country (not in-home country), so it will be harder for many applicants like me to scrap everything and travel at short period of time. Mind was much relaxed before getting the COPR…haha.
Hahaha...totally agreed.
Especially, the last line. When I see people in whatsapp groups and forums frustrated with delay in PPR, i wish they know its better to be in that stage rather than a short duration COPR status or with an expired COPR...

Reactions: gtcan19 and Wotsit

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi guys, got an update after 8 days of submitting my passport. My counterfoil date will expire on the 25th of Jan, 2021. AOR was 5 Feb 2020. No idea why they didn't extend my medical. However, I don't want to expire my CoPR. Some people are saying if airlines allow me to travel, I am good to go. Is it true? What if CBSA turned me back to my country? I am also thinking about the after-effect. Since it would be violating their restriction, will they issue my PR card in normal process? Lot more tasks to do; yet to resign from job, buying tickets, renting houses etc....
They are issuing the CoPRs with an assumption that travel restrictions will ease out but if they don't then push the applicant to Expired CoPR category.

If you wanna travel then it would be at your own risk. If you have a job offer to grab in Canada or any other valid reason (not just because your CoPR is gonna expiry and you need to travel when travel restrictions are in place) then you can make your point to them at the gates. Otherwise you will be at mercy of officials at boarding and at port of entry. Good luck!

Last edited:

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
The inland applicant waiting for PR application to get approved also received this "We are still working on your application". It seems that they are done processing the applications for this year and has rolled out the assurance emails.

mayar-123456789

Star Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hello people,
Need advice.
COPR was issued before March 18.
Expired on July 9 2020.
Raised 4 RTT webforms and received only generic replies. No 4 pointer email as well.
I have a 6 month pregnant wife who is my dependent.
What should i do?
Do i inform IRCC that we are expecting. (expected in mid feb)
Or should just wait IRCC to contact me and then ask them to add a member?

PS: We and our doctor have no issue in travelling before the delivery as well.
do ur best tobtravel before delivery

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Hi everyone.

I'm writing this post, hoping it will lift your spirits and you keep your patience running

*Long post alert*

Original medicals date: 04.07.2019
AOR: July 2019
PPR: December 2019
Original COPR expiry: July 2020
Dependants: NONE
Original VO: Ottawa
Nationality: Indian

I was originally supposed to fly to Canada in May 2020, my Air Canada flight got cancelled and I was given a voucher I could redeem in the next 24 months. When the VBM flights opened to fly to Canada in June (22nd), I tried and was successful in booking my tickets with Air India (New Delhi - Toronto). However, I was already very reluctant to travel at the height of the pandemic and also all the essential offices in Canada (Service Canda, employment opportunities etc) were fully closed and was virtually a non-functioning economy. I was a cat on the wall about the decision and on the day before my VBM flight, both the domestic flights I had booked to fly into Delhi (I booked two just in case they cancel one) got cancelled. Considering my already strong feelings of not wanting to go then, I decided I was going to wait for the extension (by then IRCC had made it clear that processed PR applications will remain open and indicated medicals will be a given an extension of 6 months)

Come to the end of August, Canada began limited functioning again from what I researched and I raised my first RTT form last week of August. I raised a web form EVERYTIME they changed/updated their norms for non-discretionary travel, particularly for expired COPR holders. In each web form, I attached a document explaining my intent to travel permanently, my Proof of funds (I got one for the cancelled June trip), emails of job search correspondence, my letter of resignation from my last workplace and typical documents including my passport page and PRV page in it. I have in total raised 7 forms (roughly once every three weeks or whenever new norms were updated). For the first two webforms, I didn't even get an acknowledgement email. Many people by then had gotten the 4 pointer email (I didn't) and from my third form, I proactively sent what they were asking for and kept sending a word document of my declaration to land permanently. For my fifth webform, The latest IRCC norms had said they needed proof of stay and so I gave them an address of where I intend to stay after quarantine, attaching email correspondence with the friend who was willing to rent me their space. I got a generic email saying "My file has been transferred to the respected office and they will let me know when a decision is made". This was the first week of November. In the third week of November, I raised a webform again (my last one)

By this time people were getting re-medical requests even before the six months and I was bracing to stay in India until the time on my 6-month extension ran down and there was going to be a significant delay.

THE GOOD PART OF THE POST (Start here if you found my story boring so far)

On November 26th (Around 3 am), I got an email from IRCC saying my profile had been updated. I only saw it on the morning after and when I opened my profile, it said my medicals were updated ("You passed the medical exam on November 25th, 2020) and the Final decision was "Approved, 25th December 25th, 2020)
In the documents section My original counterfoil which previously said "Expired" now said "Invalid" and there was a new line in there where I had a new counterfoil number! but here comes the zinger. It was valid for a MERE 5 days and the expiry date was 30.11.2020. AND I DID NOT RECEIVE THE ETA ALONG WITH THIS UPDATED STATUS EMAIL. I did not know if there were even issuing ETAs anymore ( I raised a webform asking for one) but I went ahead and booked tickets with my Air Canada voucher seeing that I had new a counterfoil number and that is what is required at the immigration gate and hoping they email my ETA in time. I had already booked tickets for the early morning flight from Delhi for the 29th November, when I received the ETA email at around 11 30 pm on the 27th night.

I flew to Delhi, Air Canada do a "documents check" before they even issue a boarding pass, I explained to them and they gave me a boarding pass. At the immigration, I proactively gave the officer my ETA and my IRCC account print out showing my new counterfoil number. He saw them, went away from his desk, consulted with someone I couldn't see and then came back and stamped my passport.

I was flying to Toronto but through Vancouver and so my immigration was in Vancouver. Had no problems. Already did AriveCan before I flew out and had to show it in customs. I was not asked a single question, was only asked if I understood that I had to quarantine. I was issued a new COPR with the new counterfoil details but it took the officer (He talked around his colleagues about the procedure for expired COPRs) a while to figure out he needed to give me a new one instead of me using the old one. But in the end, he printed out two copies of the new one and signed both and gave me my copy.

I'm in self-isolation now and not at all prepared for the winter I find myself in, but I'm here and that's a relief.

Answers to possible FAQs

1. Yes my profile changed between "Background check passed" to "Medical passed" to "Decision made" almost every day. But I don't think it was a sign of anything, just a glitch

2. Yes I sent a webform EVERY TIME the new norms came in the IRCC website

3. No, I never spoke to an IRCC agent. I never could track the progress of my file until the end

4. No, I do not know my VO after expiration of original COPR. Emails came in at all different times

5. Yes, I received an ETA. So they must still be issuing them in some capacity

6. No, I was not asked for re medicals

I really hope this was a helpful read for you all. I want to tell you, be positive and be strong. I really with all my heart, hope plenty of ETA follow and each and every one of you does get the opportunity to finally reach the country

I will try and answer any questions when I check back here.

Keep being strong,
AGN
did you apply for a PRC
how long to get that?

Reactions: mayar-123456789

Klaverveld

May 19, 2019
Netherlands
NOC Code......
Your comments are valid prior to issue of COPR, but irrelevant after COPR issued !
No they aren't.
If you call it the worst decision ever you can either delete your account (which can also be done After CoPR I think) prior CoPR.
After CoPR you can just throw everything away and stay in your home country or (try to) move to an other country and never look into your canadian PR papers/application again.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the best for everyone. But getting sick from posts like yours.

Again, 'the worst decision' part are your own words

Reactions: kwintin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ugh.. so stupid.. why can't they just wrap this up :rolleyes:
Because there is a pandemic, Canada's infection rate has skyrocketed, hospitals are full, there are areas in lockdown, there are millions receiving income replacement because they are unemployed or their hours are being cut and very few employers are hiring, Canada is spending hundreds of billions of dollars, etc.

People who have arrived in Canada are complaining that they can't find a job so getting to Canada doesn't solve issues it just creates a whole set of different issues.

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
No they aren't.
If you call it the worst decision ever you can either delete your account (which can also be done After CoPR I think) prior CoPR.
After CoPR you can just throw everything away and stay in your home country or (try to) move to an other country and never look into your canadian PR papers/application again.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the best for everyone. But getting sick from posts like yours.

Again, 'the worst decision' part are your own words
I think your stressed too much just with few words ! :)
Everyone is criticizing IRCC/Government directly or Indirectly !!

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Because there is a pandemic, Canada's infection rate has skyrocketed, hospitals are full, there are areas in lockdown, there are millions receiving income replacement because they are unemployed or their hours are being cut and very few employers are hiring, Canada is spending hundreds of billions of dollars, etc.

People who have arrived in Canada are complaining that they can't find a job so getting to Canada doesn't solve issues it just creates a whole set of different issues.
Have you got extension?