+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Well I am optimistic to say that Canada's House of commons has parties who treat each other with mutual respect. If you have watched the whole panel discussion you'll see how the discussion went .I found it amusing because
i rarely see parties not calling each other names while discussing.
These are normal things in Europe and North America. They do not argue or shout like our parliament. Even in US Congress things are very calm but that does not mean they listen to each other that much.
You might have seen PM talking about farmers protest in India but never mentioned anything about COPRs or immigration. Not even any one from Immigration department said anything explicitly.

I am not getting pessimist or scaring anyone but this how it is in here. I may have missed some points or exaggerated some stuffs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well I am optimistic to say that Canada's House of commons has parties who treat each other with mutual respect. If you have watched the whole panel discussion you'll see how the discussion went .I found it amusing because
i rarely see parties not calling each other names while discussing.
Parliament is more like a rehearsed play. Nothing actually gets solved there.

ibujack

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Hi everyone.

I'm writing this post, hoping it will lift your spirits and you keep your patience running

*Long post alert*

Original medicals date: 04.07.2019
AOR: July 2019
PPR: December 2019
Original COPR expiry: July 2020
Dependants: NONE
Original VO: Ottawa
Nationality: Indian

I was originally supposed to fly to Canada in May 2020, my Air Canada flight got cancelled and I was given a voucher I could redeem in the next 24 months. When the VBM flights opened to fly to Canada in June (22nd), I tried and was successful in booking my tickets with Air India (New Delhi - Toronto). However, I was already very reluctant to travel at the height of the pandemic and also all the essential offices in Canada (Service Canda, employment opportunities etc) were fully closed and was virtually a non-functioning economy. I was a cat on the wall about the decision and on the day before my VBM flight, both the domestic flights I had booked to fly into Delhi (I booked two just in case they cancel one) got cancelled. Considering my already strong feelings of not wanting to go then, I decided I was going to wait for the extension (by then IRCC had made it clear that processed PR applications will remain open and indicated medicals will be a given an extension of 6 months)

Come to the end of August, Canada began limited functioning again from what I researched and I raised my first RTT form last week of August. I raised a web form EVERYTIME they changed/updated their norms for non-discretionary travel, particularly for expired COPR holders. In each web form, I attached a document explaining my intent to travel permanently, my Proof of funds (I got one for the cancelled June trip), emails of job search correspondence, my letter of resignation from my last workplace and typical documents including my passport page and PRV page in it. I have in total raised 7 forms (roughly once every three weeks or whenever new norms were updated). For the first two webforms, I didn't even get an acknowledgement email. Many people by then had gotten the 4 pointer email (I didn't) and from my third form, I proactively sent what they were asking for and kept sending a word document of my declaration to land permanently. For my fifth webform, The latest IRCC norms had said they needed proof of stay and so I gave them an address of where I intend to stay after quarantine, attaching email correspondence with the friend who was willing to rent me their space. I got a generic email saying "My file has been transferred to the respected office and they will let me know when a decision is made". This was the first week of November. In the third week of November, I raised a webform again (my last one)

By this time people were getting re-medical requests even before the six months and I was bracing to stay in India until the time on my 6-month extension ran down and there was going to be a significant delay.

THE GOOD PART OF THE POST (Start here if you found my story boring so far)

On November 26th (Around 3 am), I got an email from IRCC saying my profile had been updated. I only saw it on the morning after and when I opened my profile, it said my medicals were updated ("You passed the medical exam on November 25th, 2020) and the Final decision was "Approved, 25th December 25th, 2020)
In the documents section My original counterfoil which previously said "Expired" now said "Invalid" and there was a new line in there where I had a new counterfoil number! but here comes the zinger. It was valid for a MERE 5 days and the expiry date was 30.11.2020. AND I DID NOT RECEIVE THE ETA ALONG WITH THIS UPDATED STATUS EMAIL. I did not know if there were even issuing ETAs anymore ( I raised a webform asking for one) but I went ahead and booked tickets with my Air Canada voucher seeing that I had new a counterfoil number and that is what is required at the immigration gate and hoping they email my ETA in time. I had already booked tickets for the early morning flight from Delhi for the 29th November, when I received the ETA email at around 11 30 pm on the 27th night.

I flew to Delhi, Air Canada do a "documents check" before they even issue a boarding pass, I explained to them and they gave me a boarding pass. At the immigration, I proactively gave the officer my ETA and my IRCC account print out showing my new counterfoil number. He saw them, went away from his desk, consulted with someone I couldn't see and then came back and stamped my passport.

I was flying to Toronto but through Vancouver and so my immigration was in Vancouver. Had no problems. Already did AriveCan before I flew out and had to show it in customs. I was not asked a single question, was only asked if I understood that I had to quarantine. I was issued a new COPR with the new counterfoil details but it took the officer (He talked around his colleagues about the procedure for expired COPRs) a while to figure out he needed to give me a new one instead of me using the old one. But in the end, he printed out two copies of the new one and signed both and gave me my copy.

I'm in self-isolation now and not at all prepared for the winter I find myself in, but I'm here and that's a relief.

Answers to possible FAQs

1. Yes my profile changed between "Background check passed" to "Medical passed" to "Decision made" almost every day. But I don't think it was a sign of anything, just a glitch

2. Yes I sent a webform EVERY TIME the new norms came in the IRCC website

3. No, I never spoke to an IRCC agent. I never could track the progress of my file until the end

4. No, I do not know my VO after expiration of original COPR. Emails came in at all different times

5. Yes, I received an ETA. So they must still be issuing them in some capacity

6. No, I was not asked for re medicals

I really hope this was a helpful read for you all. I want to tell you, be positive and be strong. I really with all my heart, hope plenty of ETA follow and each and every one of you does get the opportunity to finally reach the country

I will try and answer any questions when I check back here.

Keep being strong,
AGN
I am also doing the same step as you did. My AOR,PPR,Expire everything is same as you. the only difference is i am living inside Canada, but my family is in India. No update so far :(

Jbach

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Yes there’s a pandemic but life must move on. I just pity the case processing agents or officers looking into people’s file. They are overwhelmed with the pile of applications. They need to begin to discharge or give exemptions to people with copr - expired or not expired. Let there be stringent measures like presenting a negative COVID test on arrival (which can be verified online of person arriving) etc. before quarantining again. Then COPR holders would be required to pay for their own test on arrival . Things will work out that way than just shutting everyone out completely.
Geez!

Wotsit

Dec 14, 2019
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-02-2020
Nomination.....
29-01-2020
AOR Received.
13-02-2020
Med's Done....
17-03-2020
Passport Req..
15-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2021
LANDED..........
03-12-2021
Yes there’s a pandemic but life must move on. I just pity the case processing agents or officers looking into people’s file. They are overwhelmed with the pile of applications. They need to begin to discharge or give exemptions to people with copr - expired or not expired. Let there be stringent measures like presenting a negative COVID test on arrival (which can be verified online of person arriving) etc. before quarantining again. Then COPR holders would be required to pay for their own test on arrival . Things will work out that way than just shutting everyone out completely.
Geez!
Very well put, I bet that's how we are all feeling. If only someone with the power to do something about it could hear your words and actually take action.

butterflyins

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Because there is a pandemic, Canada's infection rate has skyrocketed, hospitals are full, there are areas in lockdown, there are millions receiving income replacement because they are unemployed or their hours are being cut and very few employers are hiring, Canada is spending hundreds of billions of dollars, etc.

People who have arrived in Canada are complaining that they can't find a job so getting to Canada doesn't solve issues it just creates a whole set of different issues.
I emphatically disagree with your logic. First of all, the economy being down is a different matter altogether, it can happen anytime. But saying that "economy is slow, so Cancel all Visas!", sounds scary and illogical! The whole bedrock of Canadian Immigration is that "IMMIGRANTS BOOST ECONOMY". That's how US grew so fast, and that's what Canada wants to replicate. So saying that economy is bad, and stop immigrants is absolute antithesis of the Canadian model.
More importantly, This darned WORLD SHUTDOWN and SEALED BORDERS was supposed to be about the saftey of people and curbing the spread of a virus that, turns out, has an IFR of 0.3% (now officially accepted by WHO). Initially, it was about "flattening the curve" so that hospitals could increase capacity. Well, is 10 months not enough to increase capacity? How many deaths are happening in Canada? In a country of 50 million people, less than 50 people/day die of COVID. And deaths and infections are expected to go up in the winter months anyway. How are the infections going up when 75% of Canadians are adhering to the lockdown, supporting it, and being more careful than March and April?? Because it's the season!

This all might sound like a meaningless rant, but truly nothing about these border shutdowns makes any sense anymore. They have not worked, only destroyed lives, and continue to destroy lives. The best we all can do right now is to spread the word around among family and friends (especially if you have any in Canada) that this shutdown is destroying society as we know it. We are all being taken for a ride.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
I emphatically disagree with your logic. First of all, the economy being down is a different matter altogether, it can happen anytime. But saying that "economy is slow, so Cancel all Visas!", sounds scary and illogical! The whole bedrock of Canadian Immigration is that "IMMIGRANTS BOOST ECONOMY". That's how US grew so fast, and that's what Canada wants to replicate. So saying that economy is bad, and stop immigrants is absolute antithesis of the Canadian model.
More importantly, This darned WORLD SHUTDOWN and SEALED BORDERS was supposed to be about the saftey of people and curbing the spread of a virus that, turns out, has an IFR of 0.3% (now officially accepted by WHO). Initially, it was about "flattening the curve" so that hospitals could increase capacity. Well, is 10 months not enough to increase capacity? How many deaths are happening in Canada? In a country of 50 million people, less than 50 people/day die of COVID. And deaths and infections are expected to go up in the winter months anyway. How are the infections going up when 75% of Canadians are adhering to the lockdown, supporting it, and being more careful than March and April?? Because it's the season!

This all might sound like a meaningless rant, but truly nothing about these border shutdowns makes any sense anymore. They have not worked, only destroyed lives, and continue to destroy lives. The best we all can do right now is to spread the word around among family and friends (especially if you have any in Canada) that this shutdown is destroying society as we know it. We are all being taken for a ride.
Well said. Border shutdown does not help in curbing the spread, its the community spread that they are supposed to stop. Closing borders and not renewing visas would not help in any sense.
Just allow people to land so at least they can secure their PRs and come back later on or if they want to stay and look for jobs they are on their own. Anyways govt is not responsible for any benefits to the immigrants.

Last edited:
Reactions: butterflyins

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I get that folks are upset, but people saying that border shutdowns won't help in curbing the spread of COVID need only look to New Zealand and how their early border closures (combined with effective comms and compliance) led to them being COVID free quicker than almost every other country on the planet. You can look to Vietnam and Taiwan as other case studies.

Yes it sucks that immigration took a almighty hit as a result of the global pandemic, especially for those who have PR application in progress, but if the Canadian community can't be trusted to help curb the internal spread of the virus, then how the hell would any developed nation put faith in those coming from outside the bubble to do the same (with certain exceptions)

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
I get that folks are upset, but people saying that border shutdowns won't help in curbing the spread of COVID need only look to New Zealand and how their early border closures (combined with effective comms and compliance) led to them being COVID free quicker than almost every other country on the planet. You can look to Vietnam and Taiwan as other case studies.

Yes it sucks that immigration took a almighty hit as a result of the global pandemic, especially for those who have PR application in progress, but if the Canadian community can't be trusted to help curb the internal spread of the virus, then how the hell would any developed nation put faith in those coming from outside the bubble to do the same (with certain exceptions)
Not arguing on this topic but why are we still seeing cases surge in Canada. We have always trusted Canadian Govt but keeping their mouth shut on immigration(one of the main revenue generating ministry) does not show that they care about expired COPRs.
Borders are fully open for the country who has most no of covid cases. I know rules are different for US but at least do something for expired COPRs. They are without jobs living up on savings since 8 months.

Also policing in Taiwan and Vietnam are very different from Canada. You can easily get a beating if you not follow the rules.

Border closures are fine but think about the backlogs, clear it first then move forward. What is the point of declaring that thy want 1.2 m in next 3 years when they are not helping immigrants stuck because of this virus.

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Not arguing on this topic but why are we still seeing cases surge in Canada.
Because a lot of people (Canadians mainly) aren’t following and/or adhering to PHAC advice and guidelines. That’s already enough for the govt to try and deal with (when you have anti maskers and people complaining that being told to stay in during lockdown violates their rights) without then having to worry about potential spread from outside via visitos and legal immigrants.

Nothing about the situation is ideal sadly.

veritas1994

Mar 10, 2019
Because a lot of people (Canadians mainly) aren’t following and/or adhering to PHAC advice and guidelines. That’s already enough for the govt to try and deal with (when you have anti maskers and people complaining that being told to stay in during lockdown violates their rights) without then having to worry about potential spread from outside via visitos and legal immigrants.

They could have stopped issuing new coprs. But they are still issuing Coprs with expiry of Jan/Feb in some cases and April/May in a lot of cases.

I fail to see how its practically reasonable that copr holders are not allowed to travel till March.

Get people to pay for a covid test on arrival, or ask for a negative codvid test before boarding the flight, that plus the 14 day quarantine should be a good balance between safety and letting new immigrants in. Especially as more and more peoppe get vaccinated in Jan and Feb

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
They could have stopped issuing new coprs. But they are still issuing Coprs with expiry of Jan/Feb in some cases and April/May in a lot of cases.
They did though. There are LOTS of outland applicants who have passed all stages of their applications and are RFV, but aren’t being issued COPRs, primarily due to travel restrictions. Didn’t some on here start a petiton (as small a sample size as this forum is?)

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India

Yes, this is what I am saying Canadian are not following the rules but you know when a new immigrant comes into Canada he/she does not dare to mess with the law. He/ She will religiously adhere to the rules and complete the quarantine.

They do not want to mess with immigration at all.