+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Hi,

I received communication from IRCC (dependents ppr), that as the principal applicant, once I receive COPR, I should send my dependents passport along with photos and a signed Annex A to for a confirmation of residency to be issued for him. My spouse is a U.S citizen residing in the U.S, and I am wondering whether he is supposed to fill out & sign Annex A, as well as mail the required additional documents or am I supposed to fill out & sign Annex A myself and send his passport copy and photos on his behalf, with his address listed in Annex A so it is delivered to him?

Thank you very much in advance.

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
To the people bickering about how IRCC "doesn't care" and all that.. I can try to understand your situation, but understand their's too..

If you still don't get it then choose an option better than Canada..

In my opinion, we should be thankful to Canada for an awesome immigration system, getting this far and once all this is over we all will begin our lives in Canada :)

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
As you already are in Canada, you must've received an online appointment email or something similar.. i read somewhere they were doing it online..

Also, raise a webform asap explaining yoour situation

Grenille

Jun 28, 2018
To the people bickering about how IRCC "doesn't care" and all that.. I can try to understand your situation, but understand their's too..

In my opinion, we should be thankful to Canada for an awesome immigration system, getting this far and once all this is over we all will begin our lives in Canada :)
Completely agree with this......try putting on their boots and look at it from. Different perspective......the migration journey is a marathon and not a sprint race ,patience is a must.......

Reactions: Mohit Mogla

smithplato

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
The people we see bickering on forums are people who are at the receiving end of an enormous pressure. Many have left jobs , have children to feed and educate. In my view, they bicker on forums not to get a solution but to vent their stress. I would rather look at them from a place of empathy. As for IRCC , it is a government body which is governed by law and policies. I won’t humanise it or try to understand it at a human level . The plight of people with expired visas is factor that IRCC must take it into account and I hope once there is a consensus among all official stakeholders, we will see a tsunami of extensions. I see no reason for anyone to abandon their Canadian dream. There are people waiting for a resolution since the month of March . If this is not patience then what is .

Last edited:

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Few of the numerous logical reasons for issuing eTAs - now:
  • eTAs are being provided for many countries. Not India. How is eTAs for India any more effort than other countries?
  • At this time risk of infection remains low - due to limited air traffic
  • Sooner folks arrive - earlier they can settle
  • Folks arriving to Canada do so with funds. Then spend and add to the economic activity, however miniscule that might be
  • Arriving later, once wider air traffic resumes world wide will only increase the chances of bringing COVID19 into Canada - not reduce it!
  • How is a traveler with an expired CoPR more risky that non-expired CoPR?
  • .........(...more)
Best,
Nav

Last edited:

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Few of the numerous logical reasons for issuing eTAs - now:
  • eTAs are being provided for many countries. Not India. How is eTAs for India any more effort than other countries?
  • At this time risk of infection remains low - due to limited air traffic
  • Sooner folks arrive - earlier they can settle
  • Folks arriving to Canada do so with funds. Then spend and add to the economic activity, however miniscule that might be
  • Arriving later, once wider air traffic resumes world wide will only increase the chances of bringing COVID19 into Canada - not reduce it!
  • How is a traveler with an expired CoPR more risky that non-expired CoPR?
  • .........(...more)
Best,
Nav
Exactly.If its the fear of virus no one should be allowed... Simply no one...ppl with valid copr pose equal threat to the country.They were mostly approved later than us and hence later expiry date.So the reason which was making us happier once has made us extremely unhappy today....

Reactions: hinavin

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
The people we see bickering on forums are people who are at the receiving end of an enormous pressure. Many have left jobs , have children to feed and educate. In my view, they bicker on forums not to get a solution but to vent their stress. I would rather look at them from a place of empathy. As for IRCC , it is a government body which is governed by law and policies. I won’t humanise it or try to understand it at a human level . The plight of people with expired visas is factor that IRCC must take it into account and I hope once there is a consensus among all official stakeholders, we will see a tsunami of extensions. I see no reason for anyone to abandon their Canadian dream. There are people waiting for a resolution since the month of March . If this is not patience then what is .
It's more about elections now and not Covid-19. Until there is a vaccine there won't be any tsunami of extensions. This could take another 6 months really.

In any case, IRCC should have given some timeline for people like me who were doing nothing but wait, since March.

I have been jobless for 6 months now and I still haven't dropped the Canadian dream but it is definitely on the backseat now.

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
It's more about elections now and not Covid-19. Until there is a vaccine there won't be any tsunami of extensions. This could take another 6 months really.

In any case, IRCC should have given some timeline for people like me who were doing nothing but wait, since March.

I have been jobless for 6 months now and I still haven't dropped the Canadian dream but it is definitely on the backseat now.
IRCC idea is to make money while not allowing people in.
'killing 2 birds with one stone' !
I am sure they will regret this approach sooner then later !!

Jenny1046

Sep 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am living in Toronto. MY PR approved prior to March and COPR got expired on July . i dint not do my landing due to COVID-19. is there anyone who lives inside canada with my situation and still did not do the landing? Please let me know what is the next step.
And also my current WP is going to expire in Septemeber and filed Bridge WP as well. but no response for that as well.
We are in the same boat. I'm in Canada and my spouse is in my home country. Our COPR was issued in March and expired in June. Contacted IRCC several times but was told to wait. Are you the principal applicant?

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019

You do realize that the people that are the most upset are the ones who have already received their COPRs and have quit their jobs to move to Canada but can't because of the restrictions, don't you? It is very easy for someone to say 'choose a better option than Canada' but that is not an option at this stage, is it? If people were still at the stage where they had not received the ITA and this Covid situation had happened then yes, there would have been people who would have planned accordingly to move in 2021 or 2022 or have even dropped their Canadian dream. That is unfortunately not an option for COPR holders who have spent enough time and money on this to now suddenly quit and think about something else.

I don't know what your situation is like. Maybe you are already in Canada or maybe you are in a better situation than others but try and show some empathy to everyone. Yes, there is no place for name calling and using derogatory words but if people are expressing their dissatisfaction with the situation then you do have the option to ignore that post and post something else.

We are all thankful to the Canadian immigration system but don't make the mistake of just making it look like Canada is doing any charity here by allowing us in. It is a mutually beneficial immigration system for them as well since their growth as a country depends on immigration.

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
You do realize that the people that are the most upset are the ones who have already received their COPRs and have quit their jobs to move to Canada but can't because of the restrictions, don't you? It is very easy for someone to say 'choose a better option than Canada' but that is not an option at this stage, is it? If people were still at the stage where they had not received the ITA and this Covid situation had happened then yes, there would have been people who would have planned accordingly to move in 2021 or 2022 or have even dropped their Canadian dream. That is unfortunately not an option for COPR holders who have spent enough time and money on this to now suddenly quit and think about something else.

I don't know what your situation is like. Maybe you are already in Canada or maybe you are in a better situation than others but try and show some empathy to everyone. Yes, there is no place for name calling and using derogatory words but if people are expressing their dissatisfaction with the situation then you do have the option to ignore that post and post something else.

We are all thankful to the Canadian immigration system but don't make the mistake of just making it look like Canada is doing any charity here by allowing us in. It is a mutually beneficial immigration system for them as well since their growth as a country depends on immigration.
Not replying to your entire post.. but do read my post twice before responding to it..

Here's something about me.. M a about to expire CoPR holder.. stuck in a dead end job since 2018 as I was waiting for Canada to process my application.. have problems due to delay caused by covid.. yet greatly thankful to Canada..

Oh and yea.. assuming u live in mumbai from ur screen name.. I like the food in Mumbai..

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Not replying to your entire post.. but do read my post twice before responding to it..

Here's something about me.. M a about to expire CoPR holder.. stuck in a dead end job since 2018 as I was waiting for Canada to process my application.. have problems due to delay caused by covid.. yet greatly thankful to Canada..

Oh and yea.. assuming u live in mumbai from ur screen name.. I like the food in Mumbai..
I did read yours and frankly objected mainly to your suggestion to choose a different option than Canada.

Since you mentioned about yourself, I will go ahead with my case. I am from Mumbai but when I started this Canada process back in 2018, I was in the USA and had been there for many years. Had lot of difficulties trying to get a Green card and so I chose Canada seeing that the immigration process was smooth there. I am extremely thankful to Canada for the same but my case did take quite long(mainly due to my age) and I finally got my COPR in March(after March 18) this year. By this time, I was back in India having completed my visa term in the US. I quit my job(It was a great job but just one that had no scope for a future in Canada) when it appeared that the travel ban was ending on June end since there was no indication that they would extend the restrictions. You obviously know what has happened after that. So, I can't take up a new job here in India and I can't enrol my kid in school here because Canada chooses to let us know if they are extending their restrictions only at the end of every month . Therefore, I am frustrated with the way they have handled this leaving people like me completely at their mercy. I am thankful that I have a future in Canada at some stage but a bit of clarity would help.

Good to know you like the food in Mumbai. One of my plans after coming back to India was to gorge on street food during the waiting period for the COPR but that has not happened either due to the current situation. That is of course a much lower priority rant than the COPR one though.

Last edited:

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
I did read yours and frankly objected mainly to your suggestion to choose a different option than Canada.

Since you mentioned about you, I will go ahead with my case. I am from Mumbai but when I started this Canada process back in 2018, I was in the USA and had been there for many years. Had lot of difficulties trying to get a Green card and so I chose Canada seeing that the immigration process was smooth there. I am extremely thankful to Canada for the same but my case did take quite long(mainly due to my age) and I finally got my COPR in March(after March 18) this year. By this time, I was back in India having completed my visa term in the US. I quit my job(It was a great job but just one that had no scope for a future in Canada) when it appeared that the travel ban was ending on June end since there was no indication that they would extend the restrictions. You obviously know what has happened after that. So, I can't take up a new job here in India and I can't enrol my kid in school here because Canada chooses to let us know if they are extending their restrictions only at the end of every month . Therefore, I am frustrated with the way they have handled this leaving people like me completely at their mercy. I am thankful that I have a future in Canada at some stage but a bit of clarity would help.

Good to know you like the food in Mumbai. One of my plans after coming back to India was to gorge on street food during the waiting period for the COPR but that has not happened either due to the current situation. That is of course a much lower priority rant than the COPR one though.
Aah the green card.. that's what messed my life too :)

The problem was when u chose to make life decisions on what "appeared" rather than concrete information.. I did that too quite a lot of times, it has caused mild life long problems for me..

Btw, if you have B2, you can transit through USA.. travellers from USA don't have that 18th March rule.. do confirm this way through and through before going for it..

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Aah the green card.. that's what messed my life too :)

The problem was when u chose to make life decisions on what "appeared" rather than concrete information.. I did that too quite a lot of times, it has caused mild life long problems for me..

Btw, if you have B2, you can transit through USA.. travellers from USA don't have that 18th March rule.. do confirm this way through and through before going for it..
I don't have a B2. I would definitely have flown to Canada way back if that was the case :) . Tried looking for every loophole possible in these exemptions to see if there was one that I could exploit and reach there but can't find one.

"Concrete information" is the fundamental issue here because we have not been getting that at all. Anyway, my big issue really is that we are being told to submit webforms with all proofs indicating we are ready to fly and then nothing happens. I have sent 3 webforms and it has not proceeded further. If someone sends a 'ready to fly' webform and they choose not to do anything about it for months together then we definitely have a problem.