+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020
Hi all,

We are traveling to Toronto in a week so from US, 3 days before CoPR expiry.

We have funds (more than 10k CAD) available in US bank accounts and will be using travel credit card with no foreign transaction fees during stay in Canada. So won't be carrying any cash or travelers check.

My question is, what should be the answer to,
1. How much money are you carrying?
2. How much money are you bringing into Canada?

I think, it has to be equal to the amount in proof of funds?!
In my opinion, I think you should carry some amount of cash, even if for some unforeseen emergency for which you need to pay cash. That would take care of question 1. For question 2, I think that would probably be related to POF.

Reactions: rio3333

asohal1327

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hi guys

need your opinion on the following situation. I am a foreigner working in China (landed from Singapore in Feb) with COPR expiring first week of September. My common-law partner included in COPR and now working in Singapore (she planned to join me in Feb, but first Sg get closed, then - China and we cannot reunite ever since, China still closed for foreigners).

As soft landing is not permitted, we are considering to ask for extension. Guess it is the only lawful option now - we are not ready to settle in Canada permanently.

We get our COPRs in Singapore VO. Now I am in China, she is in Singapore.

(1) Do I need to update my contact details in GCkey? If yes, do I provide my China contact (I am the main applicant) or her contacts in Singapore?

(2) What is also unclear, once extended, do we ship our passports to different VO or to the VO of main applicant? In my case it will be HK as all the applicant in China bound to HK VO.

Thanks in advance!
You need to use webform to update contact details but it wont change your VO automaticaly if your file is already approved. I have heard of people sending passports to different VO's for different family members depending upon their place of residence. So, once you get PPR email for extension just reply and request for them to allow you to submit your passport to your nearest VO (HK).

Last edited:

orco13

Aug 7, 2019
San Francisco
NOC Code......
Anyone here who's COPR expires in August and not planning to travel now ? My COPR expires on August 28th, I am in the US and cannot travel now. Do you think my COPR will be extended ? In case I raise a webform when I am ready to travel, is that alright (as per IRCC) ?

Nivo0811

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hi,
I have sent "ready to travel" form and received the email below. Interested if anyone prepared a response to this: what supporting documents did you provide and did you get the copr extension after this?

===================================================================================================
Dear IRCC client:

This email is destined to clients who have written to us to let us know that they are ready to travel to Canada. Thank you for your patience while we have been adjusting the way we work during the pandemic.

According to our records, you have indicated that you are now ready to travel to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident. Currently, only CoPR holders whose travel to Canada is considered essential are able to enter Canada. In addition, some public health measures are in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

Accordingly, we ask that you confirm that you are able to fulfill the requirements described below. In order for IRCC to determine if you can indeed travel to Canada, you must provide the following:

1. Your plans to live and settle in Canada upon arrival
· documents to support your living situation in Canada (i.e. address, lease agreement, home ownership document)
· employment plans in Canada, (i.e. location of work, letter from employer)
· any other relevant information.

2. How you plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada, including how you will have access to groceries, get medical care, and other essential services. While in quarantine, you will not be able to leave your place of quarantine for any reason. This is mandatory even if you have no COVID-19 symptoms.
· proof of funds (i.e, bank and/or credit card statements)

3. your proposed or confirmed travel itinerary
· a description of your proposed or confirmed travel itinerary, including travel tickets if you have already purchased them

Please provide the above information to IRCC by replying to this email. We will evaluate your request upon receipt and let you know whether or not you are approved to travel to Canada at this time.

Please note that only approved permanent residents now able to live and settle in Canada will be allowed into the country at this time due to the ongoing travel restrictions. Travel for temporary stay for reasons such as tourism, entertainment or simply to finalize applications without staying in the country is not allowed and will not be permitted.

Thank you,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
===================================================================================================
I’m so confused with why they would ask for all this. Especially for people who are being sponsored through spousal sponsorship. I mean I get it for people who are going through express entry but are they going to ask people who are being sponsored for this information as well, especially considering that the Sponsor has the legal responsibility to care for the principle applicant for two years.

COPR_2020

Jul 24, 2020
hey,are you able to web check-in? it shows that the flight is not available as of now which is weird because they open web check-in 48 hours before departure.
I gave them a call and they said everything is as per schedule. You will only get to do check in at the airport because they have to confirm your eligibility to fly.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I’m so confused with why they would ask for all this. Especially for people who are being sponsored through spousal sponsorship. I mean I get it for people who are going through express entry but are they going to ask people who are being sponsored for this information as well, especially considering that the Sponsor has the legal responsibility to care for the principle applicant for two years.
Give them the justification. All they want to know that you are travelling to Canada for settling and not for temporary stay. This is generic email response for "Ready to travel" webfrom AT THIS TIME as they are not typing these emails for each and every case.

Reactions: Nivo0811 and mage

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Hi all,

We are traveling to Toronto in a week so from US, 3 days before CoPR expiry.

We have funds (more than 10k CAD) available in US bank accounts and will be using travel credit card with no foreign transaction fees during stay in Canada. So won't be carrying any cash or travelers check.

My question is, what should be the answer to,
1. How much money are you carrying?
2. How much money are you bringing into Canada?

I think, it has to be equal to the amount in proof of funds?!
it need not be equal to the POF. For pof, if they ask at port of entry you can still show the bank documents as well. You have to tell them what ever money your are bringing in, as cash or equivalent

Reactions: rio3333

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Quick questions guys:

• I am moving to Canada next week via road from Detroit. This would be first time with the COPR, and I don't intend to come back to U.S. What medical insurance do you guys purchase for Canada before going there. I'm assuming they would ask proof of it but regardless we need it, so was just wondering which Insurance you guys took and what was the process. Does it take couple of weeks to get the Insurance cards delivered?
  • Also, can I carry packed food in my car for the first 1 or 2 days since I will be in quarantine in AirBNB in case food apps like UberEats don't work with US number
  • What other things are they asking these days- I'm assuming just the - place of stay, Insurance and food sources. Apart from of course Passprt, COPR, BSF goods form and Bank statement. Did I miss out on anything?
They wont ask you for insurance, but having one in place is good based on the place and province you are coming into. Ontario health is available only after 3 months ( not sure in current pandemic situation).

What foods you can carry is available on the cbsa website ( generally your should avoid dairy/meat and some seeds or nuts,oils/fats)

copr, pof(not all the time), cash your are carrying and any equivalents ( in case of jewellery, get pictures of them, they will stamp a copy for you) your are getting in as a part of settlement, address for pr cards ( can be updated later) if you dont have one now

rb2791

Jul 27, 2020
Hey guys,

I got my COPR approved before 18 Mar and expiry is on 1 Oct. Please help on the below points. I am planning to fly in after 1st week of September.

1. Did any member of the group having COPR landed successfully in Canada using Lufthansa airlines from Delhi or India (connecting flight from Frankfurt)?

2. Is Lufthansa allowing COPR holders to board the flight as their site does not mention about COPR anywhere?

3. Has anybody landed using Qatar Airways (connecting flight from Doha)?

4. Lufthansa or Qatar airways are operational from Delhi Airport to Canada?

5. Can booking be done for September flights right now and will that be considered as a repatriation flight or it is just present there in the system and too risky to book now?

Any suggestion, advice or experience sharing would be helpful.

Reactions: AmyRao

Fmegha86

Mar 8, 2017
Just an update after various tries of emailing Canadian high commission in New Delhi regarding reissuance of my husbands copr. They replied that they will get in touch once the commission office in New Delhi resumes their operations fully. They are closed as of now and will not help until the offices becomes operational. Its like neither do we have a reissued Copr nor we have flights. Regarding special flights that were also being operated by Air India back in June for Pr holders in India , my husband tried to book each flight but all the flights said not available for booking . This is so depressing as we now don’t know the timeline

• Sad
Reactions: crackMBA and mage

DIJ2

Mar 21, 2020
For COPR holders who moved to Canada recently, which health insurance did you buy for the initial few months? I suppose they will check that once you arrive at airport or land border

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
For COPR holders who moved to Canada recently, which health insurance did you buy for the initial few months? I suppose they will check that once you arrive at airport or land border
Health insurance is not a mandatory requirement for landing. If you plan to land in Ontario, they have already waived the 3 month waiting period so you don't really need a private insurance since you are eligible for a health card. You will just need a valid address proof such as lease agreement or mailed bank statements.