+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
Hi Everyone- My COPR is valid till July, but my student visa in U.S is expiring in 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I could go back to my home country(India) from April till July because of travel ban to India. So I was planning to move to Canada by mid April via flight. Few questions:

1) Are they letting people in at Canadian Airports with COPR's? I will be travelling from U.S
2) If yes, do we have to quarantine ourselves? If yes, I have a cousin's family in Toronto, can I say that to the officer that I will be staying at the cousin's place for 14 days? Is there any scrutiny and further questioning by the officers regarding this?
I hope you have safe travels. Be careful out there.
Could you please share your landing experience once you are in Canada? I think that will help a lot of folks here.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hey guys,

I have a couple of specific questions:
  1. Since I do not know anyone in Canada, what would be a good way to mandatorily quarantine for 14 days? Airbnb? I remember reading that the officers require a firm plan. Any suggestions?
  2. Is SIN a requirement during soft landing? If not, can I get it done during the time I return back to Canada?
  3. Has anyone experienced cases of air travel being prevented from/to USA - Canada?
Your thoughts and pointers will be helpful in making a crucial decision. Thank you.
1)Sure you can try AIRBNB but be aware that the mandatory quarantine requirement means you cannot use public transport and not allowed to stop off on the way given not much point in the quarantine if you do either. Maybe best to consider not travelling at all for now.
2)no requirement to get a SIN you can do this any time you return as you need a SIN to work but not a requirement on landing.

For the PR card you would need a Canadian address but again not mandatory to apply on entry even though without a card you would need a PRTD to fly back to Canada in the future.
3)your application needed to be approved 18 March or earlier, see link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
But ircc is not replying.Its just sending generic replies like the ones above.Yesterday I had called high commission.The officer told me to mail like always.I just asked him if there is any possibility that I will get extension .He was very positive and said definitely as its a global pandemic.
But again all cases are different. I could not fly due to ban and visa expired.Also one can't completely rely on words spoken by someone.I have no option but to wait for the office to resume and consider my case.Worst case they may ask me to give medical again.
Others should be sure before taking any decision.
I am not worried about the people who cannot travel due to a travel ban in your home country. You will get an extension, I have no doubt about that. You just have to raise a web form and state all the specifics of your case.

I'm also not worried about people with young children, IRCC will understand it is a risk not worth taking to travel with them across potentially several international airports and on several flights. Honestly, no responsible parent should take this risk. They will get extensions.

I just worry a bit about the people who have a few months left on their COPR, don't have a travel ban in their country, and have decided they do not want to travel. Most I think will be fine, but they should get written confirmation from IRCC that they accept their reasons not travel, and will provide them an extension.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am not worried about the people who cannot travel due to a travel ban in your home country. You will get an extension, I have no doubt about that. You just have to raise a web form and state all the specifics of your case.

I'm also not worried about people with young children, IRCC will understand it is a risk not worth taking to travel with them across potentially several international airports and on several flights. Honestly, no responsible parent should take this risk. They will get extensions.

I just worry a bit about the people who have a few months left on their COPR, don't have a travel ban in their country, and have decided they do not want to travel. Most I think will be fine, but they should get written confirmation from IRCC that they accept their reasons not travel, and will provide them an extension.
Basically for your last reason everyone should raise a webform who has a COPR expiring between now and June 30th, the current expiry date of the current travel orders which likely to be extended no way to predict. This whether they have country travel bans or not given even so airlines are cutting schedules so chances are no flights direct or via a transit are necessarily available or easily available for next couple of months.

These are obviously exceptional times but still upto the individual to follow official guidance so raise a webform to get recorded in the system at least should a COPR expire between now and end June.. Nobody should really expect an individual IRCC response other than a generic receipt given the literally thousands of people in same position.

tagarzain555

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hello everyone!

Does anyone knw the latest processing time of PR card?? Anyone who has recently got or landed???? The website shows 13 working days but i beleive this is not updated post COVID situation.

Secondly, any negative impact in this CORONA situation if I am informing the immigration officer that I am here for soft landing??

I am planning to do a soft landing in June start, staying with my relatives for 2 weeks and then return back..

Awaiting your viewpoints!!

Thanks in advance!!
Raheel this is Zain Ul Abdin from Pakistan. Where will you be landing, mate?

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018

Ur absolutely right.

Reactions: smithplato

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Basically for your last reason everyone should raise a webform who has a COPR expiring between now and June 30th, the current expiry date of the current travel orders which likely to be extended no way to predict. This whether they have country travel bans or not given even so airlines are cutting schedules so chances are no flights direct or via a transit are necessarily available or easily available for next couple of months.

These are obviously exceptional times but still upto the individual to follow official guidance so raise a webform to get recorded in the system at least should a COPR expire between now and end June.. Nobody should really expect an individual IRCC response other than a generic receipt given the literally thousands of people in same position.
Exaclty, as long as you have registered your webform, if they send you a generic reply, that’s on them and if you don’t get a specific reply before the expiration of your documents, they can’t penalise you.

I also belive with the increase in cases, the travel ban will most likely be extended as well. There is at least a significant chance of this happening.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Exactly! This is why I did nt think it was a good news, not for ppl like me atleast who have left jobs, were all ready to go to Canada and start a life there.
But if we think other way round condition if Canada ryt now is not favourable for starting a new life.No jobs no freedom if movement ,no where to stay I mean we want to shift there for a beautiful new life.And this scary face of Canada wud certainly not a good start.If we get a extension ut wud be a win win situation.We are saved from lot of hassles and Canada is saved from possibility of more covid cases Once things settle we will land witha happy face and they will welcome us with a happy face not with suspicion as if we are covid patients....God pls do whatever is best for us...

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I am also wondering as to how they will contact everyone considering there are so many applications. I hope they don’t ask for a remedical as that will require more time since most hospitals are probably not even in the position of offering that service for who knows how long!
It would be nice to know how long and what the process will be so that we can prepare accordingly.
See our fate.We all have crossed miles and waited for years to get this copr We were soooo happy.Our flights booked Bags packed.All bookings done jobs gone .And God played statue.There we r stuck at our places.
Well we will have to wait atleast until lockdown is over in our country .

Soph971

Mar 28, 2020
1)Sure you can try AIRBNB but be aware that the mandatory quarantine requirement means you cannot use public transport and not allowed to stop off on the way given not much point in the quarantine if you do either. Maybe best to consider not travelling at all for now.
2)no requirement to get a SIN you can do this any time you return as you need a SIN to work but not a requirement on landing.

For the PR card you would need a Canadian address but again not mandatory to apply on entry even though without a card you would need a PRTD to fly back to Canada in the future.
3)your application needed to be approved 18 March or earlier, see link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html
- Would anyone know if it is still possible to rent a car at the airport or if there should still be taxi/Uber able to pick us up at the airport to commute to our airB&B /hotel...? PS I am also googling car rental companies' websites...I just wonder whether some that I have recently landed have been able to see live what is really going on around the airports those days :)

- I believe that it is required to have a SIN number to open a bank account in Canada. Am I right ?

Last edited:

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
- Would anyone know if it is still possible to rent a car at the airport or if there should still be taxi/Uber able to pick us up at the airport to commute to our airB&B /hotel...? PS I am also googling car rental companies' websites...I just wonder whether some that I have recently landed have been able to see live what is really going on around the airports those days :)

- I believe that it is required to have a SIN number to open a bank account in Canada. Am I right ?
I would like to know this too. Is taxi/uber considered public transport? How exactly can one communite to airbnb/hotel from airport?

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
MY COPR EXPIRED TODAY - I DID NOT TRAVEL

I hoping for the best , relying on extension.

my country still allowed outbound flights , but it is absolutely difficult for me to travel due to health risk , and the fact that the exemptions were announced few days before my expiry - didn't have much time to set plans

hoping for the best , praying i will get extensions.

People from India , please chill - your country have closed the airport.
for sure you will get extensions.

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I worked so hard for my COPR , really
i guess sometimes things are out of your control.
Just re-reading the wording from the official instructions, it gives me the impression that the general tendency is to allow CoPR holders an opportunity to travel when the situation improves:

Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:
  • Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they were unable to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they were unable to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence

Am I interpreting it in a different way? Although it is vague, it does give an indication that they are willing to process the application later.

for me this is a clear guidance , officers are to re-open the application.

i hope so :D

tagarzain555

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
MY COPR EXPIRED TODAY - I DID NOT TRAVEL

I hoping for the best , relying on extension.

my country still allowed outbound flights , but it is absolutely difficult for me to travel due to health risk , and the fact that the exemptions were announced few days before my expiry - didn't have much time to set plans

hoping for the best , praying i will get extensions.

People from India , please chill - your country have closed the airport.
for sure you will get extensions.
Adam, from which country you are?. If flights outbound are allowed, why didn't you travel?. In first few pages of this thread, an individul was denied extension because he was only concerned about Covid and his family. Agent denied extension upon unjustfieid reason. Why didnt you fly?

w_P

Star Member
Mar 20, 2020
Adam, from which country you are?. If flights outbound are allowed, why didn't you travel?. In first few pages of this thread, an individul was denied extension because he was only concerned about Covid and his family. Agent denied extension upon unjustfieid reason. Why didnt you fly?
That person was denied extension because at that time Canada had not implemented travel restrictions and neither did most countries. Now the situation all over the world has drastically changed.