+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Friends,

Do I need a transit VISA for London if I book a flight New Delhi -> London -> Toronto? I am Indian passport holder with CoPR and PRV.

Ziyad

Jul 29, 2019
hi, thank you for the information. But, did the officer mention anything about the people whose visas are expiring within a week from the day the ban is lifted? The travel ban will end on the 14th of April, in my home country and my COPR expires on the 17th of April. All the direct flights are booked and the connecting ones mostly require a transit visa. Not only this, there has also been a reduction in the international air travel due the bans imposed by various countries around the world. I had booked a flight earlier but the same got cancelled due to the travel ban.
I hope they do something for people like myself who are in such a sticky situation.
You need to send a webform as soon as possible informing them of your circumstances so that they are aware why you are unable to travel. He mentioned that since this is a very rare event and beyond anyone’s control, the IRCC will be as flexible as possible as long as we make them aware of our situation since they already know that travel restrictions make it very difficult to reach Canada presently.
Once you are able to travel, send them another webform and they will advise the next steps to take in order to travel to Canada.

Reactions: ish23

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi Everyone- My COPR is valid till July, but my student visa in U.S is expiring in 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I could go back to my home country(India) from April till July because of travel ban to India. So I was planning to move to Canada by mid April via flight. Few questions:

1) Are they letting people in at Canadian Airports with COPR's? I will be travelling from U.S
2) If yes, do we have to quarantine ourselves? If yes, I have a cousin's family in Toronto, can I say that to the officer that I will be staying at the cousin's place for 14 days? Is there any scrutiny and further questioning by the officers regarding this?
I flew yesterday from the US, the person who checked me in to print my ticket had no idea COPR's prior to March 18 were exempt -- which is understandable -- and had to make few phone calls to confirm I could fly. Likewise, the person to board me into the plane was in the same boat, who called the previous person to learn that I could fly.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I think it would be very inconsiderate of IRCC to penalize approved applicants who wish not to fly at this time even though they do not have any travel restrictions in their country of origin.

The situation around the world is severe and I am confident that they will provide sufficient time to travel once it becomes safer to travel. My only concern right now is the time period that could potentially take to get the extension especially if they expect us to do the medical again.
I agree with you entirely, what I'm saying is don't assume anything, have something concrete, in writing from IRCC, saying they agree to provide you an extension in your case, especially if there isn't a travel ban in your country.

I've already landed, I don't have any axe to grind when it comes to this. I just want people to ensure that in their specific case IRCC is willing to give them an extension before they decide not land before the expiry of their documents.

Last edited:

ish23

Nov 10, 2019
You need to send a webform as soon as possible informing them of your circumstances so that they are aware why you are unable to travel. He mentioned that since this is a very rare event and beyond anyone’s control, the IRCC will be as flexible as possible as long as we make them aware of our situation since they already know that travel restrictions make it very difficult to reach Canada presently.
Once you are able to travel, send them another webform and they will advise the next steps to take in order to travel to Canada.
Thank you so much. Also, if you could please share the link of the web form.

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
I don't think so that i will be travelling anytime soon.
Let us know if you hear anything back. I will do the same, from either the IRCC webform, or the CIC e-mail!
Hoping we all get some news from either soon about how to proceed. I don't even mind paying to do everything again (medical or whatever else they require). I just want an answer!

Reactions: Bina5

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Let us know if you hear anything back. I will do the same, from either the IRCC webform, or the CIC e-mail!
Hoping we all get some news from either soon about how to proceed. I don't even mind paying to do everything again (medical or whatever else they require). I just want an answer!
It is such a fluid situation that they can’t provide answers, nobody knows how long this will last.

Reactions: Indranil01

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
It is such a fluid situation that they can’t provide answers, nobody knows how long this will last.
It would be a relief if they just announce that there will not be any penalties, it would alleviate a lot of peoples stress/worries and concerns about this process in general.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would be a relief if they just announce that there will not be any penalties, it would alleviate a lot of peoples stress/worries and concerns about this process in general.
They have declared that extensions will be available. Every case is different and they are getting thousands of emails. Doubt they have established who gets extensions and how long the extensions will be. Canadian government tends to be pretty understanding.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hey guys,

I have a couple of specific questions:
  1. Since I do not know anyone in Canada, what would be a good way to mandatorily quarantine for 14 days? Airbnb? I remember reading that the officers require a firm plan. Any suggestions?
  2. Is SIN a requirement during soft landing? If not, can I get it done during the time I return back to Canada?
  3. Has anyone experienced cases of air travel being prevented from/to USA - Canada?
Your thoughts and pointers will be helpful in making a crucial decision. Thank you.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I would be very careful about that. Not wanting to fly and being unable to fly are two different things.

If you get written confirmation saying you will be not penalized or that they accept your reason not to fly, that’s fine. But it doesn’t mean someone else might get that allowance as well, you need to send a webform to verify IRCC directly accepts your reason not to fly specifically in your case.

I would not go by just what the consulate has said.

I’m telling you this purely so everyone takes their precautions. Only delay landing when you are sure IRCC accept giving you an extension specifically.

I’m afraid people who just assume they will get an extension without checking with IRCC may get a shock.
But ircc is not replying.Its just sending generic replies like the ones above.Yesterday I had called high commission.The officer told me to mail like always.I just asked him if there is any possibility that I will get extension .He was very positive and said definitely as its a global pandemic.
But again all cases are different. I could not fly due to ban and visa expired.Also one can't completely rely on words spoken by someone.I have no option but to wait for the office to resume and consider my case.Worst case they may ask me to give medical again.
Others should be sure before taking any decision.

Reactions: ryeCatcher