+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
2 yrs in the last rolling 5 yr window. so its not just one time. meaning if you live first two years in canada and remaining 3 out of canada the beginning of 6th yr you will not meet residency obligation.

nkv2411

Jan 7, 2018
I am not worried about the people who cannot travel due to a travel ban in your home country. You will get an extension, I have no doubt about that. You just have to raise a web form and state all the specifics of your case.

I'm also not worried about people with young children, IRCC will understand it is a risk not worth taking to travel with them across potentially several international airports and on several flights. Honestly, no responsible parent should take this risk. They will get extensions.

I just worry a bit about the people who have a few months left on their COPR, don't have a travel ban in their country, and have decided they do not want to travel. Most I think will be fine, but they should get written confirmation from IRCC that they accept their reasons not travel, and will provide them an extension.
My COPR expires on May 21st... Planning to wait for a couple of weeks to finalize decision... Have a 3yr old and definitely dont want to take the risk of travelling...
Definitely disappointing to miss out and it would be grave if we do not get the extension (the fear is always there)...

Have a crazy idea popping up... what if I am the primary applicant and decide to travel alone to get at least one PR confirmed...
I believe my dependents application will be no longer valid... but any idea what could be the next steps... Just a hypothetical worst case scenario...
Cant imagine me doing it

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
What country are u flying from
I am.planning to travel in the first week of May. Can anyone who has recently travelled or knows someone who has, let me know if Uber/cabs are available from the Toronto airport?
I have an Airbnb booked already.
Are CoPRs able to enter Canada , any new experiences?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If someone stays in Canada for 2.5 years out of 5 years from COPR landing date, and then later moves to another country, what happens after end of 5 years? Does the PR becomes permanent, or do we have to live another 2 years in Canada from years 6 to 10 in order for PR to stay active?

In other words, to maintain Permanent PR, do we have to spend 2 years in Canada just once, or keep living 2 years for every 5 years(Assuming someone doesn't live for 3+ years in Canada and hence doesn't apply for Citizenship)
You need to live in Canada a min of 2 years in the 5 years from initial landing. After the initial 5 years then every time you enter the country you need to be prepared to show you have lived in Canada at least 2 years in the 5 years before each new entry.

So say you landed April 2015 stayed 2 years then left. If you return July 2020 then you would need to show 2 years back from Jul 2020 to July 2015 so would have failed the residency obligation and CBSA could start the process to revoke your PR status.

Citizenship is 3 years physical presence in the country in the 5 years preceeding your citizenship application

Finally PR status never expires it can only be renounced or revoked. PR card validity is irrelevant to the residency obligation but be aware you need a valid PR card or PRTD to fly back to Canada, if you apply for the PRTD having failed the RO then PR status can be revoked that way as well.

Reactions: razerblade

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Is it still possible to book hotels In Canada? I see that prices are much lower compared to previous times (30$ per night). Might be good option for self isolation.
I would be more concerned about food supply, not sure if you can still order online from the hotel?

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Yes as per the exemption in place, CoPR can travel by air to Canada,if they are able to get flights and they have not been cancelled yet
My country declared State of Emergency but PR visa holders are exempt from the ban, so I can travel, great news, but... almost all the cities are on lockdown and even if there are flights, you simply can't "sneak" into the city and get to the airport. I am locked myself at a mine site at the moment, I can leave however, but I have nowhere to go - the cities are locked! Two of my flights have been canceled already. I bought tickets for the 3d flights. I am sure the 3d flight is going to be cancelled as well, but at least I hope these 3 tickets could serve enough evidence for the IO to prove - I was trying my hard to get to Canada.

Reactions: Adam261

Ships123

Mar 18, 2019
My country declared State of Emergency but PR visa holders are exempt from the ban, so I can travel, great news, but... almost all the cities are on lockdown and even if there are flights, you simply can't "sneak" into the city and get to the airport. I am locked myself at a mine site at the moment, I can leave however, but I have nowhere to go - the cities are locked! Two of my flights have been canceled already. I bought tickets for the 3d flights. I am sure the 3d flight is going to be cancelled as well, but at least I hope these 3 tickets could serve enough evidence for the IO to prove - I was trying my hard to get to Canada.
Yes definitely, if one is unable to fly till their CoPR expiry date,because of uncontrable circumstances, and nation wide lockdown, they will be able to get an extension in their CoPR expiry date. I am sure

Ships123

Mar 18, 2019
Hi

I am in same situation and if anyone else has any inputs on the same... Please suggest here .

Thanks
Are you not flying right now because of the safety concers during transit or your country of residence has some sort of travel ban till August?

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Yes definitely, if one is unable to fly till their CoPR expiry date,because of uncontrable circumstances, and nation wide lockdown, they will be able to get an extension in their CoPR expiry date. I am sure
I really, really hope for that!

w_P

Star Member
Mar 20, 2020
Explicitly mentioned on IRCC website:

If we already approved your permanent resident application
Permanent residence applications approved on or before March 18, 2020
If your application was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven’t travelled to Canada yet, you’re exempt from the travel restriction measures.

Landing appointments will be held by telephone, if possible
We cancelled all in-person permanent resident landing appointments until April 13, 2020. All landing appointments will be done by telephone whenever possible. Otherwise, we’ll reschedule them for later.

We’ll contact you by email to let you know when your phone appointment will be. Use the Web form if you need to update your contact information.

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

Reactions: Indranil01

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
What will be the consequences of the soft landing: if arrive on 18th and fly back on 19th without leaving the territory of the Airport? Do you think I must tell to the officer about my intentions, when he will ask me about my plans on self-isolation?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hi,

I live in UAE and currently there are no flights till 8th April as the airports are closed .. and have plans of landing as the airport open and flights are resumed. And I have time till June so before that

Not going to wait till that time but still was asking for opinions because there is a mandatory quarantine of 14 days for both the countries and so that's why ... So will be isolated for 28 days considering I belong to working class .

Thanks
Travelling in May would be much better considering the situation. Hopefully in a month's time it will be a lot better

guocamole

Mar 30, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been checking this for a while and received a lot of helpful tips. Here is my share:

My COPR expires in late May, no dependent, and I am in the situation where the country (UK) hasn't banned travel but I just don't want to risk it, plus the whole 14-day isolation is just not convenient even for a soft landing, especially when we don't know anyone there. I initially booked a return flight on 21st March, planning to do very quick soft landing, basically fly from London to Toronto and back on the same day. However due to the announcement of border shutting down on the same day that I booked my ticket (16th March) I had to cancel my flights.

So I have raised two web forms. One to Ottawa office, received a generic reply. I then raised another form to my visa office in London, UK, asked specifically whether I can get an extension based on my situation, below is their reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your current inability to travel before the expiry of your document.

Please note that your documents will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the documents, should you be able to travel before that date. Your application will not be closed or refused as a result of not being able to travel within the validity of these documents due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Any extension to the validity of your documents will only be possible after a review of your application by an officer, to determine whether any new assessments, including a new immigration medical examination are required. Once you have met all the requirements to have your documents reissued, you will be instructed as to which documents to submit for reprinting of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR), and visa (if required). Do not submit your passport until you are instructed to do so.

Please contact our office using a IRCC Web form when you are able to travel.

While we continue to serve our clients, service disruptions and restrictions due to COVID-19 will have an impact on processing times and we are therefore not able to provide a timeframe for the completion of any assessments and at this time. We will endeavor to review your application as soon as possible.

Please consult IRCC’s web page on how COVID-19 is affecting immigration services and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Sincerely,

So for those who are in the similar situation, please do not worry. Like many suggested, just raise a web form specifying your case, they will be able to extend your COPR. And I am sure the reassessment will not be that complicated, even if it means we have to wait for a few more months. Thinking in a positive way, that might just give us and Canada itself some time to recover from the situation, after all, we don't want to move there and not be able to make a living.

Good luck all.