+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I have a question for everyone..

If I go to the US-Canada land border and say I want to return back. Either they will process the COPR or refuse to do so(because I don't want to quarantine in Canada.) What can actually happen? Will they refuse entry to Canada in such a scenario - I am assuming and if so, will it affect my pending PR?

Sasidhran

Apr 8, 2020
Hello,

I didn’t get anything about an application in progress, it was just a notification they’d updated my address to the one I’d given. It seems a lot of responses from CIC can vary even for the same request so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’m due out of isolation tomorrow, so need to start phoning around service Ontario/Canada to try sort driving license, SIN and OHIP to begin, I’m not sure if they’re allowing appointments at the moment to complete these tasks but will report back when I know more in case it’s any help to others in the same situation.
Did you raise a web form for address change?

sj17

Mar 21, 2020
Thanks a lot for advice and wishes.yes we have kept this in our mind to request them to defer the admission to January intake if I do not get extension even by August.But the problem is UBC is asking to deposit some amt of fee with our acceptance of the offer before May 1.Now obviously I do not hope to get an approval from ircc that they are giving me ext.That means I have to risk this money if at all I have to accept their offer.This amt is non refundable.But I do not think I have any option.As hopefully I will get an extension I will pay the amt.Then we will ask to defer if not possible before sept.
Anyone can suggest whether ubc is better or western ontario univ.
This might be feasible for you/your son -
It says "international students", but should be applicable to your case hopefully.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Gayathri Neelakandan

Apr 6, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing that , that's a lot of optimism
My situation is exactly like you , my COPR has expired though

looks like CPC Ottawa sends generic responses only , because that is how they responded to mine too.
Hi can you please let me know how we have to send the webform specifically to the CPC OTTAWA office..even my processing centre was CPC ottawa only and when I raised the webform it asked for two options outside of canada yes or no
As my visa office is ottawa I have chosen No for this question and I didn't get any option specifically to choose the ottawa office..please help me in this friends.i have raised the webform on 17th march but didnt even get specific or at least generic response .my copr expiry is Apr 30th

Gayathri Neelakandan

Apr 6, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been checking this for a while and received a lot of helpful tips. Here is my share:

My COPR expires in late May, no dependent, and I am in the situation where the country (UK) hasn't banned travel but I just don't want to risk it, plus the whole 14-day isolation is just not convenient even for a soft landing, especially when we don't know anyone there. I initially booked a return flight on 21st March, planning to do very quick soft landing, basically fly from London to Toronto and back on the same day. However due to the announcement of border shutting down on the same day that I booked my ticket (16th March) I had to cancel my flights.

So I have raised two web forms. One to Ottawa office, received a generic reply. I then raised another form to my visa office in London, UK, asked specifically whether I can get an extension based on my situation, below is their reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your current inability to travel before the expiry of your document.

Please note that your documents will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the documents, should you be able to travel before that date. Your application will not be closed or refused as a result of not being able to travel within the validity of these documents due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Any extension to the validity of your documents will only be possible after a review of your application by an officer, to determine whether any new assessments, including a new immigration medical examination are required. Once you have met all the requirements to have your documents reissued, you will be instructed as to which documents to submit for reprinting of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR), and visa (if required). Do not submit your passport until you are instructed to do so.

Please contact our office using a IRCC Web form when you are able to travel.

While we continue to serve our clients, service disruptions and restrictions due to COVID-19 will have an impact on processing times and we are therefore not able to provide a timeframe for the completion of any assessments and at this time. We will endeavor to review your application as soon as possible.

Please consult IRCC’s web page on how COVID-19 is affecting immigration services and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Sincerely,

So for those who are in the similar situation, please do not worry. Like many suggested, just raise a web form specifying your case, they will be able to extend your COPR. And I am sure the reassessment will not be that complicated, even if it means we have to wait for a few more months. Thinking in a positive way, that might just give us and Canada itself some time to recover from the situation, after all, we don't want to move there and not be able to make a living.

Good luck all.
Hi can you please let me know how we have to send the webform specifically to the CPC OTTAWA office..even my processing centre was CPC ottawa only and when I raised the webform it asked for two options outside of canada yes or no
As my visa office is ottawa I have chosen No for this question and I didn't get any option specifically to choose the ottawa office..please help me in this friends.i have raised the webform on 17th march but didnt even get specific or at least generic response .my copr expiry is Apr 30th

Raghuveer

Apr 4, 2020
You can't choose offices in Canada once you select No. And when submitting webform there is a message stating if impacted by Covid-19 ...choose "No" as the answer for whether your application is being processed outside Canada...also right now offices would have been bombarded with wedforms..so don't worry in case you don't hear back from them

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I have a question for everyone..

If I go to the US-Canada land border and say I want to return back. Either they will process the COPR or refuse to do so(because I don't want to quarantine in Canada.) What can actually happen? Will they refuse entry to Canada in such a scenario - I am assuming and if so, will it affect my pending PR?
Others can comment but If you are suggesting a soft landing then that would probably be considered non essential travel and currently restricted. Not sure quarantine is a requirement if you have been in the US for the previous 14 days.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#domestic

sgvgcanada

Nov 13, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have been following this thread for the last 20 days now. My husband and I got our COPR that expires on 24th April 2020. We quit our jobs, sold our belongings and was all set to move to Toronto on 28th March via KLM airlines. Life had other plans and now we are stuck in India (Mumbai) and are under a lockdown. We havent received any refund from KLM which is extremely frustrating because it is our hard earned money. On top of that, we booked another air india flight for 15th April which flies from Mumbai-Delhi-Toronto. Even that is blocked because our country is under a lockdown until 14th april and it might get extended. We both are very depressed as we dont have jobs, a roof over our heads after 15th april (as lease is expiring), a future, uncertainty of landing in Canada and we are bleeding money as we cannot touch our Canada savings and ended up spending 3 lacs and above on just airline tickets. Please I am requesting everyone to help us out with the following (if not for me, then please reply for my husband who is very depressed and doesnt even eat properly):
1. Since our CoPR is expiring on 24th april, when do we apply for extension?
2. Do we have to do PCC again because I submitted 3 Pccs of 3 different countries and honestly it would be a nightmare to go through that again
3. How can we get medical done again when everything is shut?
4. do u know how long does the copr extension takes and how long is it valid for?
Please help us.
please guide us what to do
My husband and I are very depressed as we gave up everything for Canada, we deserve to reach now.
You can have a look here
Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved-expire

SonaCanada

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hi everyone,
I have been following this thread for the last 20 days now. My husband and I got our COPR that expires on 24th April 2020. We quit our jobs, sold our belongings and was all set to move to Toronto on 28th March via KLM airlines. Life had other plans and now we are stuck in India (Mumbai) and are under a lockdown. We havent received any refund from KLM which is extremely frustrating because it is our hard earned money. On top of that, we booked another air india flight for 15th April which flies from Mumbai-Delhi-Toronto. Even that is blocked because our country is under a lockdown until 14th april and it might get extended. We both are very depressed as we dont have jobs, a roof over our heads after 15th april (as lease is expiring), a future, uncertainty of landing in Canada and we are bleeding money as we cannot touch our Canada savings and ended up spending 3 lacs and above on just airline tickets. Please I am requesting everyone to help us out with the following (if not for me, then please reply for my husband who is very depressed and doesnt even eat properly):
2. Do we have to do PCC again because I submitted 3 Pccs of 3 different countries and honestly it would be a nightmare to go through that again
4. do u know how long does the copr extension takes and how long is it valid for?
Please help us.
My husband and I are very depressed as we gave up everything for Canada, we deserve to reach now.

We are also in the same boat. We are residing in Kuwait planned to travel on March 24th, resigned from our jobs, sold all the household things and even cancelled our work visa in Kuwait but unfortunately Kuwait closed their border until April 25th and India too. Our COPR expires on May 5th. We are family of three. We are also very depressed and confused. In no matter of time we lost everything.

SonaCanada

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hi everyone,
Please help us.

We are also in the same boat. We are residing in Kuwait planned to travel on March 24th, resigned from our jobs, sold all the household things and even cancelled our work visa in Kuwait but unfortunately Kuwait closed their border until April 25th and India too. Our COPR expires on May 5th. We are family of three. We are also very depressed and confused. In no matter of time we lost everything.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Reply will come.I got generic reply after 15 days.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Nothing is lost as far as you are alive.So many ppl have lost their lives.We should think about them.Anxiety and worry is normal but keep urself going with the hope that We will get extension and will get to begin new life in Canada .

sammytayo

Mar 19, 2020
I know it's tough , if it's any consolation, so many people are in your situation right now, my flight was for 26th of March, family of 5, we had said our goodbyes, sold our cars, packed our bags, Nigeria closed it's airspace on the 23rd of March. It was like a thunder bolt hit us. Copr expires in may. After 2 weeks of depression, I have decided to have a positive outlook, for the following reasons.

1. Ircc and the Canadian Government are not callous and unreasonable, and they most likely than not are working on a resolution on the matter , because they understand it affects lives of people who have decided to make Canada home

2. This has never happened before, hence ircc would take it's time to give a definite response to these issues, I'm sure they too were quite confused initially,

3. The Government of Canada relies on immigration as one of its tools for economic growth, hence there's no need to punish people who already finished the process but got stuck out of no fault of theirs. I am sure by the grace of God, an favorable decision will be reached soon.

This is me being positive, I urge everyone here to adopt positivity too in this trying times, eventually, everything will be fine. By the grace of God

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I know it's tough , if it's any consolation, so many people are in your situation right now, my flight was for 26th of March, family of 5, we had said our goodbyes, sold our cars, packed our bags, Nigeria closed it's airspace on the 23rd of March. It was like a thunder bolt hit us. Copr expires in may. After 2 weeks of depression, I have decided to have a positive outlook, for the following reasons.

1. Ircc and the Canadian Government are not callous and unreasonable, and they most likely than not are working on a resolution on the matter , because they understand it affects lives of people who have decided to make Canada home

2. This has never happened before, hence ircc would take it's time to give a definite response to these issues, I'm sure they too were quite confused initially,

3. The Government of Canada relies on immigration as one of its tools for economic growth, hence there's no need to punish people who already finished the process but got stuck out of no fault of theirs. I am sure by the grace of God, an favorable decision will be reached soon.

This is me being positive, I urge everyone here to adopt positivity too in this trying times, eventually, everything will be fine. By the grace of God
Great positivity :)