+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Based on some other posts on this forum where people have had discussions with CBSA get the impression that their interpretation of non essential travel would be if some told them they were in effect doing a soft landing which is the OPs plan.

If someone was heading for Canada on a one way trip that would be fine given that ultimately is the whole reason for immigrating to Canada and there are veryfew exemptions currently for crossing back and forth the US/Canada border being a new immigrant is not necessarily one of them unless one way.

Soft landings in the current emergency are it seems frowned upon by CBSA and even possibly US CBP for the return although as everyone knows with CBSA/IRCC different agents sometimes are not consistent with a response

The critical thing still remains the 14 day isolation .
Yeah I guess it is the "settle permanently" versus "soft landing" that is perhaps the reason for the differing messages.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@SithLord Nevermind. I got my answer.

Bottom line - If your final destination on the PR is not Montreal - DO NOT make the mistake I made and fly to Montreal without the CSQ.
It could be that given Canada is currently restricting International arrivals to 4 major hubs that Montreal is being a bit more accommodating for now given the state of airline schedules not as easy now to secure direct flights. Advice still stands though if possible avoid Quebec as first POE if do not have a connection given can always be faced with an agent that is not that accommodating to process a landing

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc/aviation-measures.html#toc2

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Don’t be overzealous, only provide information that the IO is requesting, if they’re not asking about where you’re self isolating, dont broach the subject.

Only respond to the questions they ask. I think he overracted, because he realized that you would need to self isolate in montreal before moving to your final destination afterwards. But i think when you mentionrd you had links in Quebec and you were staying there that sounded the alarm.

It’s a touchy subject because Quebec has its own immigration policy and program. Just be careful. You can land in montreal, but be sure you can convince the IO that you are not planning to stay in Quebec.

Reactions: whyCorona

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Don’t be overzealous, only provide information that the IO is requesting, if they’re not asking about where you’re self isolating, dont broach the subject.

Only respond to the questions they ask.

I think he overracted, because he realized that you would need to self isolate in montreal beforemmov8ng tomyour final destination. But i think when you mentionrd youmhad links in Quebec and you were staying there thst sounded the alarm.

It’s a touchy subject because Quebec has its own immigration policy and program. Just be careful.
Over Proactiveness could cause getting PR without a mailing address. But anyways I am happy that he made it to Canada in these tough times. Kudos!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Over Proactiveness could cause getting PR without a mailing address. But anyways I am happy that he made it to Canada in these tough times. Kudos!
I’m happy it worked out too.

It’s also why i highly recommend people have an address to give for their PR card mailing address. It will help convince the IO in a situation where you’re landing in montreal that you don’t intend to stay in quebec.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
It could be that given Canada is currently restricting International arrivals to 4 major hubs that Montreal is being a bit more accommodating for now given the state of airline schedules not as easy now to secure direct flights. Advice still stands though if possible avoid Quebec as first POE if do not have a connection given can always be faced with an agent that is not that accommodating to process a landing

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc/aviation-measures.html#toc2
Earlier, people used to get away with it because some officers did not bother asking for Montreal address. However, now with the strict 14 day isolation it will be very difficult. So can't expect all officers to be accommodating. It's a risk!!

Unless one has a connecting flight, landing in Quebec should be avoided.

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
Hi,

Anyone traveling to Toronto post April 14th lockdown from India? I don't have tickets yet and don't know what to do at this point.What flights are the best option for traveling?
No direct flights till 30th. You can check British Airways or American Airlines.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hi,

Anyone traveling to Toronto post April 14th lockdown from India? I don't have tickets yet and don't know what to do at this point.What flights are the best option for traveling?
If you're considering Air India, they don't accept bookings till April 30,

Both Air India and Air Canada have non-stop flights to Toronto from Delhi

GCSA

Apr 7, 2020
Hello Everyone,
Sharing my experience here just in case it helps someone.
I managed to complete my landing at Toronto today. Although CoPRs are exempt from travel restrictions, while checking in at the counter, the agent had to call the ETA Helpdesk to check if I could board the plane! They’re checking all visas on case by case basis and after they arrive at the conclusion that it’s essential only then will they issue your boarding pass. 2 people had to return since they’re travel was deemed as non essential by the ETA agent (not sure about the exact details of these passengers though).
There were hardly 10 to 12 people on board and hence could maintain the distance between passengers. Finished my immigration and customs in less than 10 minutes. The officer did ask me how was I going to quarantine myself and if I understand that I cannot step out for any reason and as to how was I going to manage with the essentials. The 14 day isolation is mandatory! No soft landing allowed.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Hey, could you let us know once you receive your PR card, just so we can have an estimate of the time it's taking them to mail it, please?

MiteshDodia

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Seeking extension on COPR - I have a question on the updated information by IRCC on folks who are unable to travel due to lockdown in India and still there is no clear instructions on when the lockdown will be lifted. Though we all want to travel once the situations are in our favor.

IRCC has stated that Officers will re-open the applications and remove the final decision. Does that mean they will redo the entire PR application again or just medicals and PCC only ? Secondly, Can the officers reject the already pre-approved application ? Assuming medicals are passed

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Seeking extension on COPR - I have a question on the updated information by IRCC on folks who are unable to travel due to lockdown in India and still there is no clear instructions on when the lockdown will be lifted. Though we all want to travel once the situations are in our favor.

IRCC has stated that Officers will re-open the applications and remove the final decision. Does that mean they will redo the entire PR application again or just medicals and PCC only ? Secondly, Can the officers reject the already pre-approved application ? Assuming medicals are passed

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
Only medical and PCC, but again it's up to them to ask for it or they can extend the medicals validity. If you have committed any crime recently after they issue your current CoPR then there are higher chances of rejection.

Reactions: Dia89

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
My COPR has expired on april 4th, I have raised webform also sent an email 3 weeks ago. I have received the response today.
"Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We have received your enquiry concerning your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document that has expired or will soon expire. We are currently making additional verifications in order to respond to your request.

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients. All our efforts are dedicated to answering your concerns as the situation evolves. However, it may take some time before a response is sent to you.

In an effort to reduce duplicate requests, please refrain from sending your enquiry multiple times. Rest assured that we will communicate with you as soon as we have more information.

In the meantime, we invite you to visit our website regularly to obtain the most up-to-date information.

We thank you for your patience in this difficult time"

MiteshDodia

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Only medical and PCC, but again it's up to them to ask for it or they can extend the medicals validity. If you have committed any crime recently after they issue your current CoPR then there are higher chances of rejection.
Thanks, any idea whats the time frame we are looking into for the officer to reissue the COPR and PRV ?

Fazzio

Jun 4, 2019
My COPR has expired on april 4th, I have raised webform also sent an email 3 weeks ago. I have received the response today.
"Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We have received your enquiry concerning your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document that has expired or will soon expire. We are currently making additional verifications in order to respond to your request.

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients. All our efforts are dedicated to answering your concerns as the situation evolves. However, it may take some time before a response is sent to you.

In an effort to reduce duplicate requests, please refrain from sending your enquiry multiple times. Rest assured that we will communicate with you as soon as we have more information.

In the meantime, we invite you to visit our website regularly to obtain the most up-to-date information.

We thank you for your patience in this difficult time"
I’ve just received the same response...THE SAME. My CoPR is going to expire on April 21...just waiting a proper confirmation if they will give me an extension. This uncertainty is killing me.

Reactions: Adam261 and tusa47