+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Aptechvisa

Mar 26, 2020
Hi guys, I recently received my COPR and I was planing to move to canada next week. However a state of emergency was announced in the country I live in because of the covid 19 and I'm not allowed leave the country in the next month.
Would the IRCC expand my COPR in case the emergency state lasted more than my COPR validity?
Ans.
COPR is a confirmation of permanent resident which is a paper document, showing that you have entitled to live in Canada on permanent basis with respect to certain conditions. Its validity is not confirmed and it depends upon your last entry date. Due to COVID 19, as of now, you are unable to move to Canada. But after completing emergency, you can go there. Rest of all depends on the last date of exit on COPR.
Hope, this Helps!

Reactions: KoKo_

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience and sorry to hear about the incorrect decision the check in staff made! Few clarification questions, so we all are better prepared and perhaps overcome a similar denial by airport staff / airline staff. (Assume you may have read several posts describing how applicants were challenged by airport staff, presented the supporting exemptions etc and much back and forth later and also after those staff/supervisors making calls back to Canadian authorities, these applicants were able to fly. )

- Which airport was this?
- What was the flight route (direct or connections etc)?
- How much of a lead time did you have - to be able to escalate it to senior supervisors / managers at the check in area/airport manager?
- Were you able to carry print outs of the government of Canada notifications, exemptions and presented those to the staff at the check in counter?
- which staff members denied this - you mentioned air canada - were there any senior supervisors who were called?
- did you interject and insisted that they look up Govt of Canada websites / IRCC websites etc?
- finally did they agree to give you in writing that they are denying boarding despite all those evidence of exemptions?
(in all the stress you may not have asked for it - which is absolutely fine).

Wish you all the best and I have no doubt the extension will be provided! Its just a bit more time and hassle, I suppose.
Regards
Nav
Ok so I think its utter lack if knowledge of the staff which you came across.I also had booking with Air Canada on 21 which I cancelled but on 23rd afternoon they called my travel agent that as I am exempted now they are ready to take me if I can come to Delhi .Delhi is far from my place and the only flight for Delhi reached there at 9 :30 on other terminal.Flight was if 11:55.So I was not getting enough boarding time and It cud be a big risk.
Now they too had lack of knowledge as the exemptions were announced but they were not put into place till 27th.Actually changes have been done so frequently by Canada govt and may be were not clearly explained to the airlines or they could not comprehend whatever is the case,it caused all these confusions.You must take all the print outs and insist them that you are sure you can fly.If at all you want to try again.

Reactions: CountessO

Athar_In

Apr 21, 2019
Who told you that AIR INDIA Flights are cancel till 30 April. I have booked it for 18th April but have not received any mail or message for canceling Flight. I have Flight Mumbai -Delhi -Toronto.
This was in the news. I had also mailed them and got the response that till situation restores to normal there will be no refunds of reschedules, but they did not gave a date then. On their website through bookings, all flights are unavailable till 30 April. Maybe some third party websites could be booking to make their convenience cost, but through direct website there is no option coming.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ok so I think its utter lack if knowledge of the staff which you came across.I also had booking with Air Canada on 21 which I cancelled but on 23rd afternoon they called my travel agent that as I am exempted now they are ready to take me if I can come to Delhi .Delhi is far from my place and the only flight for Delhi reached there at 9 :30 on other terminal.Flight was if 11:55.So I was not getting enough boarding time and It cud be a big risk.
Now they too had lack of knowledge as the exemptions were announced but they were not put into place till 27th.Actually changes have been done so frequently by Canada govt and may be were not clearly explained to the airlines or they could not comprehend whatever is the case,it caused all these confusions.You must take all the print outs and insist them that you are sure you can fly.If at all you want to try again.
This seems confusing ref Air Canada given if you check their website it implies many Canada - Delhi routes are suspended through end May. Obviously if there is no outbound from Canada there cannot be a return from India. Still seems though the booking system much same as many airlines seem to be doing is taking a gamble by accepting bookings for May but in Air Canada’s case they are code share flights not actual Air Canada planes

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/china-travel.html#/atlantic-2

Last edited:

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
Who told you that AIR INDIA Flights are cancel till 30 April. I have booked it for 18th April but have not received any mail or message for canceling Flight. I have Flight Mumbai -Delhi -Toronto.
They did not say they had cancelled. They just stopped taking further bookings till 30th. They will notify abt the status as per PMs decision over lockdown. Till then your ticket is confirmed. Just the status of ur ticket on AirIndia website.

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
I am headed there (the US/ Canada) border on Friday, as my husbands COPR expires Sunday, April 12th. We are going to attempt to cross, despite calling multiple times and them stating it isn't essential travel. We've raised webforms and contacted our visa office via e-mail and haven't heard anything. We "are able to travel" aka in a car, despite being in CT (high risk area) so we don't want to take the risk of the IRCC stating we "could have traveled" and deny an extension. We will have to take the risk of either getting turned away, or isolating in Canada for 14 days (and attempting to cross back) as we have not wrapped up our affairs, and I (as a Canadian) am still on a work-visa here in America.

I'll keep everyone updated.
ANY AND ALL TIPS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED:)
Good luck

Reactions: smithplato

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Ontario Bans Airbnb during Pandemic?
I think people can still quarantine in Airbnb and this for short term vacation rentals . https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/04/06/ontario-government-temporarily-bans-airbnb/
W
I think people can still quarantine in Airbnb and this for short term vacation rentals . https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/04/06/ontario-government-temporarily-bans-airbnb/
They mentioned Leisure travel.

Reactions: smithplato

hussainzzzz

Sep 26, 2016
This is good news. Congratulations. At least, we now have some idea as to how IRCC will approach this. Mine expired on April 4, but I raised a webform way before the expiry date. I'm waiting for a response.
Question: Was this response from your local visa office, or from CPC/CIO?
Dear Abdul Assalamwalaikum,

Kindly share us if get response from IRCC for extension of Medical and COPR with Visa. Kindly get in touch with me on zero,zero,nine,six,eight,seven, one ,nine,zero,nine,six, zero,zero.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This will depend on how an Airbnb owner interprets the instruction given for example a soft lander might be considered non essential travel so an owner might not want to take the risk . Whereas a first responder or key worker isolating from their family would be clear decision to support.

Update

here is the official order

https://files.ontario.ca/solgen-oic-closure-nonessential-business-2020-04-03_0.pdf

Not that specific but assume basically suspends the short term rental market until further notice other than specific exemptions

Last edited:

hussainzzzz

Sep 26, 2016
Hello Zyad,
I am in the same situation, however mine will expire in April 27th, can you please tell me if you got any response from their side and how you could contact then
thanks a lot
Hello My name is hussain,

mine expiring on 25th April, If you get any response kindly inform me tooo.

JNS1214

Star Member
Mar 19, 2019
If you go to Air India website, they are not taking bookings for the month of April, so not sure how did you book. If you booked using agent or travel aggregators such as Makemytrip, Yatra etc....better confirm your booking with them
I have booked directly from Air India web side on 27th March. and my PNR number shows confirmed booking.

Reactions: CountessO and Dia89

nehakhedekar

Feb 26, 2020
For a PNP candidate who is supposed to land in Calgary for example, and there are no direct flights available for Calgary from Middle East, If I transit via Toronto, will I be required to complete my 14 days of isolation in Toronto or will i be allowed to board a connecting flight and isolate in Calgary?
Hi, I am an Alberta PNP candidate too. Was supposed to land in Calgary in 1st week of May. Now ofcourse cant. Do share your experience if at all you manage to travel to Calgary.

JNS1214

Star Member
Mar 19, 2019
This was in the news. I had also mailed them and got the response that till situation restores to normal there will be no refunds of reschedules, but they did not gave a date then. On their website through bookings, all flights are unavailable till 30 April. Maybe some third party websites could be booking to make their convenience cost, but through direct website there is no option coming.
Thanks

JNS1214

Star Member
Mar 19, 2019
They did not say they had cancelled. They just stopped taking further bookings till 30th. They will notify abt the status as per PMs decision over lockdown. Till then your ticket is confirmed. Just the status of ur ticket on AirIndia website.
Thanks