+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated...

angelsilay

Jan 23, 2009
I am Silay ,a Filipina, currently residing and working as a Registered Nurse in Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom for 6 years now.

Currently, I am applying for a temporarywork permit as a Registered Nurse for 2 yrs in Canada which I just mailed last week in London , UK and also planning to bring along my son and husband together with me. It will take 6 weeks to process for my work permit application. With what I read from the CIC website, my son who is my dependant and presently in the Philippines is not allowed to apply here together with my application,but instead he has to apply in his country of residence, and that goes as well to my husband who is also a permanent resident in America.

I would like to ask regarding my son's application for an "open study permit". I browsed and searched for the basic requirements in CIC website but some of them are not applicable for my son. He is only 7 yrs old. For your reference, I already have my LMO (Labour Market Opinion) confirmation. Hope you can answer my questions listed below:

1.) I would just like to know what are the specific requirements needed for an "open study permit", I searched for it but there is none I could find. I believe that he doesn't need to have a valid letter of acceptance from an educational institution which I want to confirm from you, because, Filipino children here in UK who applied for open study permit does not need a letter of acceptance for children studying for primary or secondary schools.

2.) Will my son need a temporary resident visa (multiple visa entry) as well apart from my payment for an open study permit? What kind of application form does he need to fill in??

3.) Would it be possible for me and my husband to go home if both of our application will be approved and travel to Canada together with my son? Would it create any problems if I go home as my point of entry would be in the Philippines and not in United Kingdom where my visa was issued?

4.) By the way, If hopefully this application will be approved, would there be any documents needed as I am the only birth parent that will accompany him to Canada? I haven't had any communication with his real father and his father's name is not in his birth certificate anyway.

5.) Would my husband need a temporary resident visa to apply for an open spousal work permit as he is a permanent resident in America?

Thank you so much for your time...It would be a great help for me and my family......

Best regards....!!! Your site is very helpful specially to us who have immigration queries....

All the best!!

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
angelsilay said:
I am Silay ,a Filipina, currently residing and working as a Registered Nurse in Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom for 6 years now.

Currently, I am applying for a temporarywork permit as a Registered Nurse for 2 yrs in Canada which I just mailed last week in London , UK and also planning to bring along my son and husband together with me. It will take 6 weeks to process for my work permit application. With what I read from the CIC website, my son who is my dependant and presently in the Philippines is not allowed to apply here together with my application,but instead he has to apply in his country of residence, and that goes as well to my husband who is also a permanent resident in America.

I would like to ask regarding my son's application for an "open study permit". I browsed and searched for the basic requirements in CIC website but some of them are not applicable for my son. He is only 7 yrs old. For your reference, I already have my LMO (Labour Market Opinion) confirmation. Hope you can answer my questions listed below:

1.) I would just like to know what are the specific requirements needed for an "open study permit", I searched for it but there is none I could find. I believe that he doesn't need to have a valid letter of acceptance from an educational institution which I want to confirm from you, because, Filipino children here in UK who applied for open study permit does not need a letter of acceptance for children studying for primary or secondary schools.HE DOESNT NEED ONE SINCE HE IS YOUR MINOR DEPENDENT

2.) Will my son need a temporary resident visa (multiple visa entry) as well apart from my payment for an open study permit? What kind of application form does he need to fill in??
YES TRV

3.) Would it be possible for me and my husband to go home if both of our application will be approved and travel to Canada together with my son? Would it create any problems if I go home as my point of entry would be in the Philippines and not in United Kingdom where my visa was issued?
IF YOU LEAVE VIA PHILIPPINES YOU WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH POLO ADD 3-5 MONTHS DELAY PLUS BIG HEADACHE TO YOUR EMPLOYER THAT YOUR JOB OFFER MAY BE WITHDRAWN
4.) By the way, If hopefully this application will be approved, would there be any documents needed as I am the only birth parent that will accompany him to Canada? I haven't had any communication with his real father and his father's name is not in his birth certificate anyway.YOU WILL HAVE TO SHOW YOU HAVE LEGAL CUSTODY OR ELSE HE CANT GO

5.) Would my husband need a temporary resident visa to apply for an open spousal work permit as he is a permanent resident in America?

YES

Thank you so much for your time...It would be a great help for me and my family......

Best regards....!!! Your site is very helpful specially to us who have immigration queries....

All the best!!
See that wasnt too bad

angelsilay

Jan 23, 2009
Hey BCguy...

Thanks for immediate reply....it is such a great help!!!! really!!!

with your reply to my 3rd question..what does POLO mean that I have to undergo if I leave Philippines instead of UK??

what is the best way for my son to travel if I can't accompany him to Canada??

thanksssssssss again..........

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
angelsilay said:
Hey BCguy...

Thanks for immediate reply....it is such a great help!!!! really!!!

with your reply to my 3rd question..what does POLO mean that I have to undergo if I leave Philippines instead of UK??

what is the best way for my son to travel if I can't accompany him to Canada??

thanksssssssss again..........
Philippine Overseas Labour Office Vancouver or Toronto,Your employer will have to submit documents and wait 2-3 months for clearance,because once you decide to leave from Manila,Even with Canada visa,ticket you may be held at airport and not allowed to leave the Philippines without POLO Clearance.To cite ridiculousness,2 Filipinas went to the Philippines for Vacation from their work in Canada and Were not allowed to leave Philippines to go back to their jobs without POLO Clearance,It took them a month before they were allowed to leave after paying bribes.Despite being hired in the US,POLO is to protect the employees interest by verifying identity of employers to protect them????

angelsilay

Jan 23, 2009
thanks BCguy...your replies are very informative and helpful...........

any suggestions of how can my son travel to canada if it will take time for me to undergo POLO if in case i decided not to go home??? plsssss.....

angelsilay

Jan 23, 2009
i found this website link from POEA that those only requiring POLO verification are only Filipinos applying as a household worker and not for professional workers....to read more ...here is the link....http://www.poea.gov.ph/html/hiringFilipinos.html

and in addition, I sent an email to the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines just recently, if it would be possible for me to go home to Philippines to bring my son and travel together to Canada and here is their answer:

"To answer your last query, you may enter Canada from anywhere regardless of where the visa was issued. However, please note that temporary foreign workers are required by the Philippine government to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar before they leave the country."

hope this is useful .....

angelsilay

Jan 23, 2009
hi BCguy,

this is one of ur replies regarding my queries:

YES

But I got info from canadian embassy in manila...http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/manila/visas/visitingcanada-en.aspx

"United States of America permanent residents [Green Card holders] who are in possession of their status document or who can provide other evidence of permanent residence in the USA do not require a visa to visit Canada. However, if you have been outside of the United States for a considerable period, you must first confirm your permanent resident status before entering Canada."